Eternal Lands Official Forums
Roja

Making the Rules screen look nicer

When you create a new char. and the rules screen pops up, it looks like the most ugliest thing in the game(almost as bad as the old female dwarves :)) The parchment paper and icons are stretched, the text is the same color as the parchment..x.x

Can we just make it look like the rules screen in the game? Using the same colors and layout with the exception that it would not be a moveable window.

Edited by Roja

No it wouldn' be in the char. creation screen-it would be in the same place it is now. It would be an almost full screen help window though yes, although keep it the same width as the current Rules screen.

So you want the look of the rules windows in the game in place of the current new character rules window with no background. Is this correct?

I'll start working on it, but I am new to the EL code so I make no guarantees.

Phil

Yes, just make it look like the one in the game, the one that shows up when you press f5. Thanks and good luck :)

Here's the patch. Tell me what you think.

https://developer.berlios.de/patch/index.ph...4&group_id=1256

There is a bug in the rules code, but I don't think I put it there. I will probably try to remove it though. The problem is that when you go one click down with the scroll bar, it skips to the next rule. So if you have a large rule, (I think 5 is large enough) you can never see the end of it.

Phil

Edited by Phil_

There is a bug in the rules code, but I don't think I put it there. I will probably try to remove it though. The problem is that when you go one click down with the scroll bar, it skips to the next rule. So if you have a large rule, (I think 5 is large enough) you can never see the end of it.

That bug has been there a while. If you want to fix it, that's great... one thing less on my todo list. :-D

I will as soon as I get the time to find a good way to do that. Does anyone know of a good place to host images so you can post them on the forum?

Phil

Ok, can you get rid of the bmp graphics (Rules, I accept)? If possible, just make the "I accept" with normal text, with a box line drawn around them. You don't need the Rules heading at all since "In Game Rules" is already written at the top in green.

Also, make the text for the body normal size-the size that the very last line is in the screenshot(Click on "I accept"...). The heading can be a bit bigger.

I'll have to test that scrollbar, I thought it worked for me. I'll also try to fix it to your specs.

I'll do this when I get time, but I might not have much free time between now and June 3 because finals are coming up, and then I have an intersession class (2 weeks, 5 days a week, 4 hours a day of the same class). So I'll probably work on it once I get on summer break, or sooner if I get time.

Phil

I'll do this when I get time, but I might not have much free time between now and June 3 because finals are coming up, and then I have an intersession class (2 weeks, 5 days a week, 4 hours a day of the same class). So I'll probably work on it once I get on summer break, or sooner if I get time.

It'd be nice to have this by the next client update, so if you find you don't have time and you are happy for me to, I could keep going with it. Just let me know.

Sure, it's ok if you do it. I just wanted to get a little familiar with the codebase because I want to help more during the summer. I am in college with a double major in computer science and math; so I thought Eternal Lands coding would be a fun way to get experience. I don't mind you finishing it, but if you don't I probably will once I get off from school.

Phil

The thing is, we plan to have a client update soon(hopefully in about 1 month from now), and we need a 1 month testing period, so this code I'd really like to see go in this update, so it'd need to be finished this week.

Phil, if you can't finish it in time, there will be other small projects(and big ones)you can work on too I'm sure :)

That looks good. Maybe also put a line around the entire rules thing, to enclose it in a box, and also make the box around I accept smaller, so it's closer to the text I accept.

Other than that it looks great :omg:

Maybe also put a line around the entire rules thing, to enclose it in a box

Yeah. I was thinking it would be just the normal rules window, on the root (base) window... only slightly larger... but it was coded to add the objects directly to the root window. Thinking about it, it is a nicer way to do it, even if the code is duplicated, so I'll leave it. I'll add a border of some kind around it.

also make the box around I accept smaller, so it's closer to the text I accept.

Ahhh yes. I expected you would prefer he button smaller. I made it that size to hopefully handle translations of "I agree". I *could* try to set the size to resize to the text, but I'm not sure of a function to handle that so didn't want to waste the time. Once I have a couple of other patches commited, I'll come back and look at making this dynamic to the string.

Updated and committed (with the dynamic button size).

The only thing I don't like about it is the miscalculation of the length of the page. This was a pre-existing bug however and I really don't feel like trying to spend another 2 hours on it at 3am. ><