Eternal Lands Official Forums
CrimsonSky

Help! Urgent. :(

Hello,

Okay so, firstly..Is there any way to find out who has me added on their buddy list? And/or a way to get myself off of that list? Here's my problem.

A few days ago I was playing, been playing for several weeks without a problem. And someone added me to their list. I accidentally clicked yes, but meant to click no. >.< So..I pmed them. No reply. Tried adding them, they refused me. Didnt think much of it at the time, but the next day my computer started to freeze up when I'd be playing. Like, random times. I'd just be sitting there doing nothing and boom..whole computer froze. Or I'd be doing various regular things in the game. It happened a few times in a row, but I figured it was just my computer at the time. Kept rebooting and it kept happening. Then..I came back later, played for a few hours with no problem. It's totally intermintant. Cause then the next day, boom. 4 times in a row. Sometimes as soon as I logged on. The fact that it only happens at certain times and happens so 'frequently' when it does, makes me worried it could be someone doing it and only when they're online. It also started 'after' they added me. And only happens when the game is launched.

I've tried making a second char (although I really would hate to give up my main char, I was getting a lot of progress with her)..And so far, no freezing with the new one. Even though my main one (CrimsonSky) froze about 6 times ina row tonight. All within an hour! I wish I could remember the person's name who added me. Just that it started with a f, and I wasnt too concerned at the time.

Please, I'd appreciate any help. If it is an attack, I bet I'm not the only one with this problem.

Peace And Love,

Sarah

Edited by CrimsonSky

if it's a random person who requested, I highly doubt they are attacking you.

To check who it was, go to your chatlog.

Try "Find"ing who it was

EL FOLDER>Chat_log.txt

Edited by jjk

if it's a random person who requested, I highly doubt they are attacking you.

To check who it was, go to your chatlog.

Try "Find"ing who it was

EL FOLDER>Chat_log.txt

Thank you for the chat log thing. I found the persons name, at least. I know what you mean, but I thought it strange that they wouldnt even talk to me after they added me? I'd noticed the person around me a few times, and then they added me..I accidentally accepted, and then they wouldnt talk to me. o.O It seemed..strange, no? And the fact that within a day of this I started having problems, even though I'd been fine for a couple weeks before. Haven't done anything different. *Sigh* Well, thanks. Just out of curiosity I'm going to see if this person is online when I suddenly start freezing all the time.

Peace And Love,

Sarah

Might want to check teh Outlaws, or Abuse/bans forum.

If that person has been naughty in the past, chances are they'd do it again.

Here are the buddy commands:

#accept_buddy [name] - allows [name] to add you to his buddy list.

#add_buddy [name] - requests [name] for permission to add him/her to your buddy list.

#del_buddy [name] - removes [name] from your buddy list.

#clear_buddy - empties your buddy list completely.

Here are the buddy commands:

#accept_buddy [name] - allows [name] to add you to his buddy list.

#add_buddy [name] - requests [name] for permission to add him/her to your buddy list.

#del_buddy [name] - removes [name] from your buddy list.

#clear_buddy - empties your buddy list completely.

I don't think that would really help this person... Maybe if we could rule out the possibility that someone's figured out how to cause problems just by having your name on their buddy list...

CrimsonSky: Did you do anything else with your computer at that time? Such as, any driver/software updates, installing a new program, installing a new device on your computer...?

I find I had this proble with the el game itself freezeing up my computer in the past because it would use up way to much memory while playing and randomly froze up. I just bought a gig of ram and it fixed my issuse with el freesing up randomly and i also turnd off the memorie hog and limited my fps to under 40

I highly doubt that its anyone attacking your computer who play's the game it takes more information then your ingame name to do that, and they realy couldnt use the game itself to do more then lag your charater and that would be very noticable because you would see them on your screen when you lock up

Check out your error log also after you crash and see if it reports anything to you (post here if it does)

I do sujest maybe you get and run adware or spybot they will clean up any acces AD's or BOT's you get while online

Hello Everyone,

Okay, first of all. I checked, and I cant find the person's name mentioned in any of the forums. Not that that matters too much, since people 'can' change their names. But, I do agree it 'is' fairly unlikely that that's the 'cause' of it. I just connected the two things as happening around the same time, and figured it was possible. Plus..you gotta admit, it was kinda strange.

As for running programs during the time that the game crashes, I thought the same at first. I tend to have both AIM and Yahoo up whenever I'm on the computer. 'But', with this in mind I've tried playing with different combinations of programs up and running to test it. So far I can't find a connection. It'll crash when either 'or' nothing else is running. Last night, it crashed 6 times in a row, sometimes within a minute of launching the game..And then suddenly stopped and I was okay for like two hours, till I signed off. I rebooted between each crash too, so I dont think it was a memory drain issue.

The thing that bothers me most if that it ran perfectly fine for a couple weeks, then this started a few days ago. If it was a hardware issue, shouldn't it start as soon as I got it?

I don't actually get an error message. Everything just locks up, I have to shut it down from the power switch..then it reboots normal. I even tried restoring my computer back a to a week ago, before the problem existed and it didnt fix anything.

As for downloads/installs..The only thing I've done recently is a windows update thingy. I 'will' admit that it might have caused a clash, since it was about a week ago I did the upgrade. Erg. Hope not. Not sure I could fix that.

And spyware isnt a problem. I scan my comp a lot for it. :D

I really don't know what the problem is. *Sigh* So far it hasn't happened other than while playing EL, though. So I'm pretty sure it must relate.

Thanks for all the help, by the way. :icon13:

Peace And Love,

Sarah

Last night there were a few server restarts, that you may have ran into at the worst time.

I can only suggest re-installing EL. >.<

Do You Have Norton Internet Security Or A Norton Feature From The Following Years: 2004 2005 or 2006?

If so please allow the port and EL on your safe lists so it won't be blocked yes I have had this problem where the game freezes and no It is not likely to hack someone through a server so that possibility is limited.

Hope this helps.

Cheerio

Brian

Do You Have Norton Internet Security Or A Norton Feature From The Following Years: 2004 2005 or 2006?

If so please allow the port and EL on your safe lists so it won't be blocked yes I have had this problem where the game freezes and no It is not likely to hack someone through a server so that possibility is limited.

Hope this helps.

Cheerio

Brian

Hmmn. Yes, I have Nortons AntiVirus. But I haven't touched it, and the game worked fine for two weeks. o.O So..I dont see how it can be nortons causing the problem, since it's a recent thing.

But, I will add it to the safe list if someone can tell me how. >.> I have Nortons 2004, I believe. Updated since then. But the program seems to be 2004.

I might try redownloading EL, as a last resort. But it'd be a pain. As I'm on dial up it's like a 3 hour dl. >.< Kinda annoying. And I noticed the server issues last night, but it doesnt coincide with the other times it's crashed. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Perhaps Dial-up is the problem.

When I played EL on dial-u, running YIM, and AIM, and EL, just hurt my b/ps too much.

Even if something runs perfectly for a couple of weeks it still might be some kind of problem.

1. make sure your Norton AV allows traffic on port 2000

2. update your video drivers, see: "graphics problems" pinned in this forum.

3. uninstall EL (delete the folder)

4. download the game again (from the official web site) and make a "fresh install.

Another thing - if you updated something, and it caused back, try to roll back before that update - I had to do that recently, Windows Update decided to update my sound drivers, and I lost all sound functioning.

Yeah, I'm trying to play it without messengers up right now. Test if it's like I'm draining too much from my comp.

I tried setting my system back to before I did the upgrades..didnt seem to work. >.<

If Dial up 'is' the problem I'm getting high speed in like two months, so at least that should be good. >.>

Not too sure if I can try dling any graphic stuff..My mom bought me the comp and she's super paranoid about me dling 'anything'. Oy.

Annnd, as for the Nortons stuff. I really don't know how to make it allow anything. o.o; So..A little help would be appreciated. <.< Thanks.

How does the game crash or freeze? Do you get disconnected from the server or does the application crash (in this case do you get an error message?)

How does the game crash or freeze? Do you get disconnected from the server or does the application crash (in this case do you get an error message?)

Hmm. The whole computer freezes. And just..doesnt do anything. I have to shut it down from the power switch. So no error message, either.

I do want to say though..I dont think it's actually related to the game anymore. >.< It's really impossible to tell. My mom's computer is having very similar freezes, yet she doesnt have the game on it. Mine's only crashed during playing the game, though. Yet both of us updated our windows about the same time that the freezing started. <.< Oy. Not really sure where to go next.

did you get that viruse that people w ere talking about that got desgised as an update

Also look into a buying a new stick of ram

Edited by Ember

Hmm. The whole computer freezes. And just..doesnt do anything. I have to shut it down from the power switch. So no error message, either.

I do want to say though..I dont think it's actually related to the game anymore. >.< It's really impossible to tell. My mom's computer is having very similar freezes, yet she doesnt have the game on it. Mine's only crashed during playing the game, though. Yet both of us updated our windows about the same time that the freezing started. <.< Oy. Not really sure where to go next.

This could be a case of overheating as well. Try to check your computer temperature (can be done in BIOS, or certain software)

If Dial up 'is' the problem I'm getting high speed in like two months, so at least that should be good. >.>

That shouldn't freeze it up. In fact, I've played EL over a 14.4kilobaud connection, so there shouldn't be any problem with a connection 4 times as fast.

Could there be something about your character that is crashing the game? Your stats, or an item that you are carrying, or the number of items you carry, or your name that is triggering an obscure bug in the client?

If you can, have you tried playing your character on another computer?

Hey Everyone,

Sorry I haven't replied in awhile. x.x Been so very busy I haven't had much time. Actually, haven't gotten more than a couple chances to even play the game over the past week or so.

I really dont know. =\ My mom's computer is crashing like hell, too. She decided to reformat, and the problem is 'still' there. Mine's doing similar things, just not even near as bad. Her computer's only about 3 years old, too. Mine's less than a year. At this point I've just sorta gotten used to living with the crashing problem.

Although overheating makes sense..Is that possible if the computer has only been booted up less than like 15 minutes? o.o; I've been able to use the computer for like 6 hour straight without a problem sometimes..Then others..it's just wham. Crashed.

And as for the idea of trying on a diff computer..I dont actually have a way of trying that. =\ Sorry.

Thanks for all the help efforts though. x.x Much appreciated.

Edited by CrimsonSky

Hello all,

I'm having this exact same problem! Except I'm using a Mac with OSX 10.4.6. I believe the errors messages are problems loading certain graphics. It most often occurs underground and in buildings. What happens is my computer freezes and the screen displays a bunch of diagonal color streaks. And God forbid I had any music playing, it skips over and over again.

I also have to hold the power button down for an emergency restart and sometimes the computer won't boot to the login screen for 7-8 restarts sometimes!!! It's madness!

Any ideas??

Thanks a million.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.