Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dunian

The Gems of Destiny

The man spoke " I will kill you!". Blackness all around. " Theyve broken through Nicae!" said the soldier. "Gather the men, go hold the west wall, I will deal this foul mage myself!" Weilding his staff the two mens spells rang with.. splintering wood? Everything blurred.

Nicae leaped out of bed and grabbed his staff( dont worry he wears his robes to bed). Opening the door he went down the stair to find bandets attacking Maxim and a warrior women. "Up the inn, bandets, defend" he yelled as he started to cast his spells.

((sorry for bumping last time, i was a bit afraid of the thread going dead))

Edited by sparhawk

A small pack of bandits broke into the inn after a short chatter with Kat. Maxim kicked a table towards them and drew his sword.

-"Kat, get ready!!"- He yelled.

The first bandit directly charged at Maxim. With a quick move, Maxim dodged him as he knee-kicked his belly. The bandit quickly recovered and threw a quick slash, that Maxim's blade could hold with ease. Maxim threw a couple more blows, then stabbed his opponent after a quick spin.

The second bandit charged at him the same stupid way.

-"Sigh... they will never interest even a bit on strategy and technique..."- Maxim whispered to himself, as he held his blade tight getting ready for this one.

Maxim blocked the bandit's blow with a strong counter-blow that almost broke the bandit's sword. What Maxim didn't notice was that the bandit had taken a poisoned dagger outta his belt. When he was ready to thrust it on Maxim, a magical explosion blew the bandit to the ground. It was the old hermit's doing.

-"You should watch out for they dirty tricks, Maxim."- He said.

-"Hehe... thank you, my venerable friend. I guess I owe you one."- Maxim replied.

Maxim took a quick glance at Kat. She was fighting a bandit and had already beaten other two. Maxim laughed loudly, since he knew these brawlers were not even a slight threat for a skilled sword slinger as Kat was.

-"Kat, will you handle? I'm gonna check outside, it looks like there's an intense fight going on."- Maxim yelled at her, while he ran towards the inn's door.

((sry folks, had a problem with my net connection , all fixed now...stupid Comcast >.<))

Regar found it difficult to rouse himself. Rahn's story had touched upon a memory...but he couldn't remember which one! The sounds of fighting cut through his reverie. He shook off his lethargy and glanced around the room. He saw a number of bandits already on the floor, dying rather noisily, and the one named Kat dispatched the last one as he watched. Ahh, so that was our shadow on the journey here. Regar touched his side, which ached from remembered pain. Yeah, with her help, that gargoyle wouldn't even have been worth mentioning. Regar glanced towards the tavern's door, sounds of fighting could be heard from outside. Regar sighed and grabbed his sword. Ok, let's get this over with. Regar rushed into the village's street, noticing that Maxim had the eastern side of the village under control, ably dodging and parrying the attacks of a couple of the raiders. As Regar heard commotion towards Frukas's stables he considered. This attack makes no sense. What would bandits want in Grahm's Village? Unless they know about....

All thought fled his mind as he rounded the corner of the magic shop and saw a number of bandits had cornered a local family. Before the cowards even realized he was there, Regar buried his sword into the largest one's back. "Expect no mercy for scum like you!" Regar shouted as he wrenched his sword free. As the bandits turned from the villagers, Regar realized how many of them there were...and how few of himself. Ok, maybe it wasn't such a good idea to try this on my own...time for a little strategy Regar mumbled the words to a protection spell under his breathe then charged into the middle of the villians. He used his shield to good effect, turning their swords thrusts and slashes away from himself...and towards their comrades. In the confusion, Regar cast two more spells, one a poison spell and the other a harm spell. Turning his attention from the ensorcelled attackers, he swiftly hamstrung one of his other attackers then thrust his sword into their throat. The remaining bandits lost their nerve and fled.

Regar considered chasing them, but was weary after his day of travelling. They must have heard about those Gems of Destiny. But how? Rahn didn't mention that anyone else knew of them....something to ask him, I suppose Regar hurried back to the tavern to check on Maxim, Kat, Nicae and Rahn. What was that blasted memroy!?

Kat swung her serphant sword over the head of a bandit piercing his skull, and quickly felt the presence of another one behind her. She then jabbed her elbow into his stomach, turned around and stuck the sword right through his chest. Kat pulled out her sword and turned toward the Inn's door. A bandit was running away.

"Cowards!" she yelled.

Just then Regar had walked back into the tavern.

"Hi there.."

"Hello m'lady, i take it that your name is Kat, and i'm sure you already know mine as we've been already 'aquainted." Regar replied. Max along with Rahn and the old hermit had just walked in the door.

Kat gave a small chuckle to herself when she noticed max with some fresh blood all over his armor. he never seemed able to come out of a clean fight.

Rahn had been put hard at it. At one moment he was barganing for a pack horse at the stables, the next he was in a knife fight with a villinous bandit. After a brief struggle, he escaped the stable.

Twirling his dagger in one hand, and leading the packhorse with his other, he plowed his way through warriors, bandits, and Regar, back to the tavern.

Maxim walked back into the inn after quite an interesting fight in Grahms village. He noticed Kat's silent laughter, and he tried to clean some of the bloodstains on himself with his bare hands.

-"Geesh, always the same... if I used a hammer instead of a sword there wouldn't be this kind of problems."- then Maxim and Kat started to laugh loudly.

-"So, Rahn... I don't see a reason because this bandits would be here, if it isn't for your story... is it possible that they may know about the gems?"- Maxim asked Rahn and looked at him with severe eyes expecting a good answer.

After exchanging pleasantries with Kat, Regar cleared the doorway so the others could come back inside the tavern. Regar quickly popped his head out teh tavern door and bellowed,"Just leave the bodies where they lie. I want to take a look at them, in a few minutes." Regar turned back to his companions and waited for Rahn's answer to Maxim's question. If these bandits had known about their quest, then there might be more on the way.

"I didn't tell anyone, if that’s what you mean." He cleaned his dagger and put it in its shieth. "Well, I guess we'd better be off before those bandits can regroup." He turned to Kat, "Will you be accompanying us m'lady?"

Rahn kept a cheery smile, but inwardly he was worried. Had they captured the messenger?

Kat looked back at Rahn, then at Max. Leaned against a chair, then took a coin out of her pocket flipped it up in the air. "Count me in." She caught the coin and held it in her hand. "I've been dying for an adventure for a long time now. This place is all boresville."

Rahn gave Kat a look as if saying "Eh...you call this boring?"

"So, how early do i have to get up...let me guess, dawn, right?" Kat asked. Max gave a chuckle at that comment.

"Yes, we will start out tomorrow. I don't know about the rest of you, but i'm exhausted. Let's all get some sleep. It's been a rough night," Rahn responded.

"Ok, sounds good. May i remind you, to keep a dagger out or something...the bandits are likely to come back...then again, they certainly are cowards." remarked Max taking a dagger out from his boot. Kat smirked at those last words remembering the last bandit in the inn run off.

Regar waited til the others headed to their rooms, then went outside and started searching the bandits' bodies. He had nearly finsihed when he came across a crudely written note. His eyes narrowed as he considered the implications of the note. He stuck it inside his tunic and told the few villagers still awake to give the bandits' remaining possessions to the barkeep. Regar then made his way to Frukas' to bargain for a horse. This trip was looking more and more interesting.

(( :ph34r:;) ))

Maxim felt like Rahn was keeping something hidden from the group, but didn't care too much about it yet.

-If there's something we should know, we will know just in time, I think...- He tought to himself.

-"Well then, see all of you tomorrow."- Maxim told everyone, then whispered to Kat: "If you need something and I'm not in my room, you know where to find me already..."- then Kat winked back.

When Maxim got to his room, he jumped out of the window to the nearest tree and laid down on the highest treepole.

-Strange behaviour for a human, I know... but living amongst elves for 20 years made me take this kind of habits when I'm anxious about something.- Maxim started to think to himself. He then slowly fell asleep... deep into an uneasy dream.

Nicae cleaned his staff in his room. Why had that bandet tried to attack him!.The old hermit chuckled to himself. That regar fellow is anouther one of those people who like getting an early start to an adventure.. He thought he heard a window open, but it must have been his imagination. Nicae put his eccenses back into his bag, lay down and went to sleep.

"Well" said a rough northern accent. "Sit with a bit more joyism". "no" said a familiar voice. "It is meant that I pose like this." Their was a large man painting a picture that was hidden (side view of the canvas) and the person he was drawing was also. "Why must I draw what is in your hand"? said the painter. "Because it is meant to be" was the response. "Well there! I am done, will you like to see it?" "Yes I would" Said the all to familiar voice. The painter gently picked up the canvas and started to turn it. It was a picture of a man. He had a black hat and velvet and fur clothes. He wore a heavy gold chain on himself and their was a green curtain behind him. But what was more troubling was the face, it looked almost like Regar, and looked very upset about something. Perhaps it was because of the folded not in his hand?

Nicae turned over as the dream ended and he would dismiss it as a part of his old age... for now.

((I got the idea for the painting from "Sir Thomas More" by Hans Holbien.))

Edited by sparhawk

((I am new to EL.. Do you mind if I jump in?))

((Come join us winterfalcon ^^))

Kat got a room at the local inn near Max's. She pulled out an old necklace. She found it on her journey's, but never figured out what was so special about it. Whatever it was, she just wasn't able to part with it. She never wore it of fear of losing the emerald gem and the silver leaf around it. It almost felt like a good luck charm, or even something powerful...she really had no clue. She laid down in her bed and started fingering it looking for something...a clue...as to what the purpose of it and where it came from. Kat rolled over and took a dagger out of her knapsack and stabbed it hard into the wood of her dresser. Then soon fell asleep.

The next morning came as soon as the day had ended. Kat looked out from her window, and sure enough the sun was just barely peeking up over the horizon. She rolled out of bed and quickly threw a pair of pants on, a different shirt, and her old boots. Then headed downstairs. On her way down some of the guys were already by the bar getting some last minute supplies or breakfast.

"Morning Max."

"Good day m'lady," Max mumbled as he was trying to eat a piece of bread while fixing the hilt of his sword.

"Is everyone up?"

"Yeh, i think so." he said while wiping his mouth in his sleeve. "Did you notice anything peculiar about Rahn?"

"Not really. He just seems to be a bit of the quiet type."

"I highly doubt that."

"What do you mean?" Kat asked while picking up a piece of Max's bread and started chewing on it.

"He seems to be hiding something..." Max answered now whispering.

"Like what?"

"Don't you find it just a bit odd that someone like him just comes along and--"

"Good morning to ya both." It was Rahn and Regar. "Are you ready to head out?"

Lynnian froze as she spied the corpses on the streets of Grahm's Village. Her features went ridged when the small breeze blew the cloak away from the face of one to show her father. Tears began to form in her eyes, but she bit her lip and held them back. Why? Why did he have to get himself killed!? she asked herself. The young elf bent down next to the dead man and brushed his hair out of his face. That is where Lynnian swore vengence against the murderer of her closest friend.

(( In case you dont know her father was one of the townsfolk. Not bandit. ))

Edited by WinterFalcon

After an uneasy and short night, Maxim was calmly having breakfast with Kat in the inn. Rahn and Regar came along as they spoke.

-"Nevermind..."- Maxim told Kat -"I'll tell you later. To be honest, there are other things troubling me more than Rahn's information keeping..."- His bad looks, proof of a bad night, showed that was true. He then greeted Rahn and Regar -"I'm gonna sit outside, I'm not feeling so good."- And saying so, he wrapped his cloak around himself and walked out of the inn.

As he set his feet in the streets of Grahms village's streets, Maxim's shoulder-lenght black hair started to dance with the cold morning breeze, as it enlightened his spirit at the same time. He closed his eyes and led his head lean back for a while.

-Ahh... way better now.- He tought to himself.

As he cleared up a bit, he opened his eyes and looked around just to find a young elf kneed down and leaning over a dead townsman's corpse. Maxim got his sword ready to draw as he took her for a thief at first glance, but then he noticed she was... crying? He slowly loosed his hand from his sword as he walked to the elf's side, then he reached her side.

-"Good morning, fair lady."- He said after a moment of hesitation about what to say -"My name's Maxim, Maxim Ironfist... may I...?"- He then kneeled down by the young elven lady's side. He watched her face carefully, then looked at the dead townsman. -"Did you know this man? I'm so sorry if so... may I help you in some way?"- He said again then looked to the lady, feeling a bit stupid as he didn't know what to say in such a situation.

Edited by Master Maxim

Lynnian shook her head. "No. I just.. must leave here. There is nothing left for me here." She stood up and wiped the tears from her eyes.

Nicae noticed that the village didnt seem to have its joy anymore. Death everywhere. He saw a mourning young elf nearby. Max doesnt seem to be able to handle women.. the hermit chuckled. Did you ever? Whatever happened to Heretia? That whiped the smirk off the old mans face. The battle of the falls.... Walking over to the young elf lady (he also noticed she was pretty, but he was too old for that)Nicae said " There is always hope, one must find it. If what I guess is true, then the ones who murdered your dear freinds will be the ones who we will be fighting for.." The old hermit hesitated. "A strange object of value that should not fall into their hands". The man spoke now with confidence" I will let you kill him, not I" Unless it is Hagefered! That man nearly killed Lord luxin with his foolish plan, Luring them out!." Also you might find something of yourself there that you would not have found here, your god might have planned this to happen". Thats how it happened to Heretia... Why hadnt he just let her(both) greive?

Regar watched Max and Nicae attempt to comfort a young elven maiden. He hated it when bystanders got dragged into things beyond them...and especially when he could have been responsible for involving them. He touched his belt pouch where the bandit's note was tucked. Regar eyed Rahn as the man readied himself for the journey. Something was going on, on a deeper level than what Rahn had told them. Regar's eyes danced from one member of the party to another. But who can I trust with this? I don't know Max and Nicae, and though I've heard of Kat, I don't know her, either. Regar sighed. Well, trust has to start somewhere. He started walking towards Kat. He glanced around to make sure they couldn't be overheard. I found something last night, after everyone went to bed. I think you should see this." Regar started to reach into his pocket when suddenly....

((EDIT: i cant spell, sry :icon13: ))

Edited by Regar1

Kat looked up at Regar as he came toward her. "I found something last night, after everyone went to bed. I think you should see this." He started to take something out of his pocket when suddenly something came flying through the air.

A dragon? Have they finally come from Irilion? Kat thought to herself

It wasn't a dragon, but a man riding a Griffan. The man was wearing what looked like black armor of some dark and evil clan. As he hovered over the inn, he took out a bow and arrow and shot one down.

The arrow came whizzing through the air barely missing Regar's feet.

Kat ran over and picked up the arrow, and looked back up into the sky. The griffan and the man were no where to be seen.

Attached to the arrow was a letter.

"I wonder who that man was." Regar said now hovering over Kat's shoulder while she started untying the parchment.

"Whoa, did you guys, and lady, see that?" Max said while running over with the hermit and young elf.

"Yes, it seems our new found 'friend' left us a warning." Kat said while scanning over the letter.

"Why, yes I did max". The old man coughed." I wonder if that was a real griffen? In all my travels I have never seen one". Nicae chuckled." Well, I did see one when my enemy Grufdrio createdan illusion. But I had thought he had just created it from one of the old stories." The old man looked warily around. "I dont trust this area, let us flee to the woods with these horses, there no griffen shall smite us without him having to break the trees". And by that time ill use my magic... "I will go get my belongings and go get a horse". He didnt forget the elf girl. "Well, are you coming? If not we will have to leave you behind, for the enemy might see us!"

(( Sorry if I get anyone confused. Nicae/Old man/Hermit/Old hermit are all the same person.(Unless im talking to myself :blink: ), ))

Edited by sparhawk

The elf was frightened by the griffon. She, like many others, had never seen one. Lynnian jumped when Nicae spoke to her. She wasn't expeting anyone to talk to her. "Oh.. Yes. I would like to come with you." she said quietly.

Maxim had been overcome by the dominant confussion.

-"Well then, having seen what we just saw, we'll better get on our way."- Maxim said.

He then looked around himself, with his sight put far away on the horizon. He then made a ring-like position with two of his fingers, took them to his mouth and started a loud whistle. Answering to the call, a bright, black horse ran out of the forests, towards Grahms. It stopped right by Maxim's side, who broadly smiled at it.

-"Shadow"- Maxim said without removing his smile -"The ancient elves of a faraway elven community gave this horse to me when I left their homelands, after 20 years living with them."- Maxim explained -"I was shocked, they never led humans have much to do with them but they seemed to make an exception with me."- Then Maxim jumped on the horse and said strongly remarking his words -"So, shall we go?"

((Thank you mods))

Rahn stepped from the shadows of the tavern, in which he had hidden during the griffen's flight. "I'm glad to see we're all ready. We ride to the north and east, towards Vermor Castle. What we'll find in there, I cannot say. But we should start soon, if we plan to reach the hedges before nightfall." Rahn soon had them in order, he and Regar leading the party, Followed by Nicae and the young elven maid. Kat and Maxim brought up the rear.

((what happened, everyone lose interest? :P well, once more into the breach....))

As the group set out, Regar watched the skies. He wished he could've shown the bandit's note to Kat or Nicae before they had left, but he'd try to do so on the journey. I still can't believe a griffen rider attacked us. Griffens are usually ridden by goodly folk and that rider... Regar shuddered. There was nothing good about him. And yet his armor looked very familiar. Where have i seen that style before? Regar watches the sky as he rides, yet also maintains a wary watch on the woods. the gargoyles may be stone right now, but theres no guarantee we're safe...

Edited by Regar1