Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dunian

The Gems of Destiny

Rahn was riding south along an old dirt path. His brown horse trotted merrily past the bright flowers, tall trees, and the beautiful scenery of western White Stone. But his rider's attention was focused on a map written on aged parchement. He studied the road written on the map. Soon he would arive at Grahm's village, where he could recruit some adventurers at the local tavern to search for-

His thoughts got no further. If he had been watching where his horse was going he would have noticed the small creek up ahead. His horse bent down to drink with a jolt, Sending his unfortunate rider flying into the water. Rahn could have sworn he heard the horse snicker. He sat up, shook the water out of his eyes and looked up, "Hello there, could you direct me to Grahm's village?"

Edited by Dunian

Regar looked up from the book he was reading, an acquisition from his latest trip to Irillion, at the sound of a splash from the creek. Regar stared at the dripping traveler for a second trying to hold back his laughter. "Why yes, its just down this path a ways. You're not from around here, are you? You really should be more careful," Regar hopped from the low branch he was sitting on, "since the area near White Stone City isn't always safe." After looking up at the sun, he noticed it was almost dusk. "Well, maybe I should walk the rest of the way with you. The Gargoyles should be out soon, I wouldn't want one of them to get ya." He looked over his shoulder at the now shivering fellow. "Well, c'mon, then, let's be about it." Regar began ambling down the path, with the stranger in tow. His eyes belied his calm manner, as he scanned the woods. Is this what i've been witing for, these past few months? Regar wondered.

Rahn hastily dried the parchment and trotted after the stranger, his horse in tow. As he followed, leaving a track of drips, he questioned the stranger. "Do you really think we'll meet any of those gargoyle chaps on the road to Grahm's village? And do you think we'll be able to find some adventurers in the tavern?"

As he chattered along, he failed to notice the figure following in the lenghtening shadows...

Regar glanced over his shoulder at the traveller and hesitated before speaking. "Well, there should be time to get to the tavern before the gargoyles start prowling around. It's rare to actually see one; after all, White Stone is a large area, and they cannot get very far from Vermor Castle. 'Tis the evil magic of that place that animates the, ya know." Pondering the second of the strangers questions, he responded, "As to whether we'll find any adventurers at the Grahm's Tavern, well, t'is a bit difficult to give an answer. A few months ago, such would be as easy as falling off of a log. But since Raven moved her storage service to just outside Tirnwood, Grahm's has become a quieter place. Adventurers still go there, mainly to talk to Frukas about books from his extensive library, or on their way to Grubani Penninsula, Naralik, or Morcraven Marsh. Let's hope that a group is on its way back from one of the latter places. They'll have their bloodlust up from fighting and hopefully they'll jump at a new journey."

Regar peered at his companion of the road. "Just what is your name? You seem a bit familiar, but I can't place your accent. Oh, and my name is Regar, in case you were wondering." Regar used the pretext of chatting with the fellow to slow his pace and keep a more careful eye on the forest. Something just didn't feel right. I could have sworn I saw something in the woods. I wonder who it could have been? And why would someone like this fellow need adventurers? If it's legit, maybe I'll tag along. After all, it's not like I can get any work around here. Blast Baron Wilde, and may Mortos torment his dreams.

Kat was just hanging around...waiting for something to happen. Her lust for adventure had grown so much, that she'd just hang out in the woods waiting for trouble. She had already explored all of Serida and was bored. She picked up a stick and just started drawing in the dirt.

a sound from a afar had distracted her mind. Sounded like water. It was too big to be a splash from an animal. She got up and headed in that direction but kept to the shadows. She didn't want to be discovered if it were a bandit or a gargoyal. Even though it wasn't night every once and awhile one might appear.

"Hello there, could you direct me to Grahm's village?" it was a man who's head was cleary in the clouds

ah, he must be from out of town...not knowing where Grahm's is

"Why yes, its just down this path a ways. You're not from around here, are you? You really should be more careful."

he looks familiar...but i wonder who he is

the conversation continued for a little while. Kat became even more curious as the two set out for Grahm's. She could easily tag along without being noticed...after all there was nothing interesting going on around here...

Rahn could feel his horse's uneasiness, but didn't show any outward sign of suspicion. "My name is Rahn, and I'm a merchant of sorts, also a treasure hunter when I feel like it. As a matter of fact," he lowered his voice, "Thats precisely why I'm on my way to yonder village. But I'll save the full tale for later, the very trees in these parts have ears..."

Edited by Dunian

A treasure hunter? Regar's curiosity was peaked, but he held his questions. "Fine by me, Grahm's isn't too far ahead. We should be there in a few more minutes." Regar's concern about their shadow tapered after passing through several classical ambush spots. If they hadn't been attacked by now, they should make it to Grahm's without an incident. He kept one eye on the sun, however; it would soon be dusk, and they only had a few minutes till the gargoyles came out...it was going to be close.

Kat's curiousty became even more so when she heard that one of the men was a treasure hunter.

what can he be after? and what is so interesting in Grahm's?

She was able to keep her distance and not be noticed...a few close calls here and there...she feared that the horses would have jumped anytime because she knew that they felt uneasy. However, maybe they were just afraid because they knew the gargoyles would be coming out soon.

Another reason to worry.

arrgh...i wish these slow pokes would pick up the pace...with me being this far behind i have even a larger chance to run into one of those gargs...not that i can't take one on...it's just i rather not have to deal with one...

The sun was almost down and they were a little bit more than half way to Grahm's. Kat had really began to worry.

To get her mind off of what was going, she was starting to pay more attention to the conversation over head.

"So, what type of things do you sell? Just anything in general?" asked the one called Regar.

"Various things really like-"

Kat had just stopped dead in her tracks.

The men had ran into a gargoyal and it was approaching them.

Damn...well, i'll see what they can do...i'm not giving myself away just yet

edit:

yeh...err sorry about that ^^" Rahn = Regar = fixed ( was half asleep when typing this ;p )

Edited by kat

"So, what type of things do you sell? Just anything in general?" asked the one called Rahn.

((umm, isn't Rahn the merchant?))

Rahn pretended he didn't see the gargoyle standing in front of him. "Blasted string!" he muttered, bending down and retying his boot. Before he stood up, however, he unsheathed an ornate dagger that had been tied to his left boot and slipped it into his sleeve. When he straigtened up, he appeared to notice the gargoyle for the first time. He waited for the living mass of rock to make the first move...

Behind it he could see the smoke from the chimneys of Grahm's village.

Edited by Dunian

Regar stopped talking as he noticed the animal life had quieted. Uneasy, he readied his sword and grabbed certain essences from his belt pouch. When he spotted the gargoyle ahead, he cast a protection spell on himself and lunged towards the unnatural creature. "Stay behind me!" He called over his shoulder. Rahn looked fairly competant, but Regar disliked unknown quantities in his fights. As he swung his thermal serpant sword again, he noticed someone watching from the trees behind them. Well, if they're watching us, the least they could have done is give a hand. Oh, well, t'is only a gargoyle. Regar grimaced as the monster clipped his left side with a large granite fist. Ok, this has gone on long enough. Muttering the arcane syllabels of a harm spell, he backed away and let the spell weaken the gargoyle for a few moments. Regar then finished the beast off with a sudden slash of his sword, decapitating it. "Well, that was energizing. You are unhurt? Good, shall we continue? We're almost there." Pretending not to notice the overly ornate (to his tastes) dagger in Rahn's hands, Regar quickly cast a healing spell to rid himself of a cumbersome limp. As he and Rahn entered the outskirts of Grahm's, he watched for their shadow. I wonder who was following us, and why...

((yeah Rahn was the merchant/treasure hunter, Regar is the helpful traveler/adventurer))

Edited by Regar1

Nicae was astonished to see two men run into the village. Pushing away the white hair from his eyes the hermit looked at them. I knew I should have waited a couple more days.... Suddenly the old man felt the mark of a strange being upon them. Well, well well, he thought it would seem I might have to help the two lads. Dont! go back to your home, we have had enough adventures!"No!". The old hermit looked embaressed and said" I hate these bees...". Well here goes he thought. Walking up to the two, he offered to show them the local inn.

"Many thanks old chap." Said Rahn, following the old man. Upon his arrival, he handed his horse's reigns along with a coin to the stable boy and entered the inn. He payed for a room, and then turned to Regar, "Now how exactly does one go about recruiting adventurers?"

Maxim was laying down on the Grahms inn's counter, playing with his mug of ale between his hands.

-"Gods, am I bored..." He tought to himself.

By the time he got up and had a sip from his ale, he saw two adventurers and an old hermit entering the tavern. He got up, mug in hand, walked along the counter and sit near the just arrived party.

-"Hmm... this could be fun." He tought again as he pulled back his cloak and led his sword, hanging from his belt, be visible as a show of interest.

Edited by Master Maxim

Kat had noticed that the two adventurers were entering Grahm's tavern and inn with the old hermit. She decided to wait awhile before entering.

hmm, i have a feeling that they already noticed me...i don't know how, considering that they were busy with the gargoyle. Kat took out a cloak from her bag, and covered her head, while taking the hilt of her sword and burying it in the shadows of her cloak. Well, this might bring some attention to me, but hey, it'll be interesting.

Kat walked into the tavern. She first noticed a man who she knew. max? That must be him. Yeh...he's showing off his sword..oh brother. I'll say hello later, i need to find out what the two men are up to, and what they want with that boring old hermit.

Kat kept her distance from max and took a seat all the way in the back of the tavern.

Nicae (the old hermit...) was bewildered. These two managed to snatch two people upon entering this village!. After discussing with the man with the sword (his name turned out to be max, strange city name)

, he eagerly joined our ranks. " I must go retrieve my sword and my essences, I will be back before night fall". With that the old hermit made his way out of the inn.

Rahn's eye caught the glint of firelight off of a sword. The sword seemed to be attached to a seasoned warrior. Rahn drew up a chair to the table and sat down. "Hello good sir, my name is Rahn, and I'm looking for a few good folk to accompany me on an adventure I'm arranging. Are you interested?"

Rahn looked at the swordsman and awaited an answer.

Maxim got his sight up from his mug as one of the travelers approached him. His name was Rahn, according to what he said. Maxim turned his sight to him as he said:

-"Be greeted, traveler. My name's Maxim Ironfist, I'm a master swordsman from afar. Of course, I'm always up for an adventure, and I hope that my skills on swordsmanship will be of use for the group. I will gladly go with you, but would you be kind enough to tell me what's that adventure of yours about?"

The barmaid walked by near Maxim and Rahn. Maxim looked in his pouch for some gold pieces to pay for his drink as he awaited a reply from his new friend.

Kat listened tentatively to the conversation but looked at her empty mug to make it look less obvious, then again, i don't think they'll see my face anyway. if max is in for the adventure maybe i'll be able to tag along too...unless it's something boring and really not worth my time, then i guess i'll just end up staying here...in serida...where nothing interesting happens.

Out of a sudden, something caught Maxim's attention. Without turning his head, Maxim just rolled his eyes aside and saw a hooded figure in the opposite corner of the room.

-Kat...- Maxim tought to himself, as he closed his eyes, smiled and held a silent laugh -Playing around as always... I won't break her stealth, let's see what she's trying to do. I bet she's already noticed my presence.

Pretending as if nothing had happened, he turned his eyes back to Rahn, still waiting for his reply.

EDIT: Typos...

Edited by Master Maxim

Rahn leaned forward and began in a confidential whisper. "Two weeks ago, I... acquired... an ancient manuscript. It told of three gemstones called 'The Gems of Destiny'. They were- or are- great magical artifacts from before the Great War. It is said that the possessor of these jewels would be able to see the future!"

Rahn paused, "Of course, old manuscripts can be forged, and not all legends are true. But it wasn't the old manuscript that interested me as much as this scrap of parchment that was hidden inside the binding."

Rahn pulled the aged parchment from his pocket. Upon the front was a picture of White Stone and on the back was some archaic writing. "This map and riddle shows the way to the first gem, the other two I believe are hidden on Irillion. I'd have gone to find it myself, but, as you can see, I'm no warrior, just a simple merchant. I'm looking for a few adventurers to accompany me on this quest, and I'm willing to pay handsomely."

Rahn tossed a pouch of gold coins onto the table before him, and leaned back in his chair and watched Maxim. "So there’s my tale and my offer, do you accept?"

Maxim stared silently at the bag of gold in front of him. With a slight nod, he pushed the bag back to Rahn as he said:

-"I'm a wandering warrior, not a mercenary. The fact of putting my skills back to good use and helping those who need to be helped is enough for me." - then a smile showed up in Maxim's face - "Count me in."

As he rolled his eyes back to Kat, Maxim tought:

-And there's someone else that you could also count in, my new found friend...

After a few seconds, Maxim leaned forwards, held the hilt of his sword and asked:

-"So, when are we leaving?"

The old hermit strode in just in time to hear maxims question. Armed with many essences and powders, he now held his staff with a look of pride. "Well my eager young friend, we should leave as soon as possible. For if these gems can see the future, then they must be the object of desire for many forces we would not want to encounter. The sooner we leave the less chance of others finding these gems." The old hermit caught his breath. "I say we should leave with the small force of ours at first light in the following morning." With that the hermit paid for a room with the innkeeper and went to his room to sleep.

Rahn raised an eyebrow as the old man left for his room. "I guess our party has risen to four... I hope the old coger knows what he is doing. Anyways, to answer your question, we leave on the morrow. So unless you already have a horse, I'll go over to the stables and get some horses for our party."

As Rahn left the tavern, he felt as if he was being watched.

-"Worry not, Rahn, I've got a horse of my own, I'll be fine"- Maxim said -"See you early tomorrow."

As he watched Rahn leaving the tavern and the old hermit walking away to his room, Maxim slowly raised from the table as he looked around. The other traveler seemed to be distracted, staring off at the space... he would be no impediment. Maxim walked to a dark corner of the room, wrapped himself around his cloak and got some essences out of his pouch. He then threw them off to the air as he whispered some arcane words, casting a teleport spell that took him right behind Kat. Maxim slowly reached her ear and whispered:

-"So, may I know what are you up to, m'ladey?"- and then, he showed a broad smile from under his hood.

Edited by Master Maxim

"haha, max...i have never been able to hide from you." Kat smirked recalling past experiences. "and as for what i am doing..."

"Go on..." Max said waving his hand in a motion.

"well...i was bored..so i followed those adventurers here all the way from white stone, believe it or not... they are quite slow pokes by the way. Took forever to get here....anyway, why are you going with them? You've made it quite clear that you are a lone warrior. Why the change of heart?"

"Lets just say that things have gotten a bit dull around here lately, not to mention the amount of--"

Just then there was a loud crash from outside and a screams of women or childeren

Kat looked at Max, "Bandits!"

***Just had to add some action, sry! ^^" ***

-kat

Edited by kat