Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nicky

New Sourceforge Project for ELBot-DotNet!

Thanks to all the great help form the eternal lands community, I've gotten far anough to have code working to properly connect, maintain connection, and parse the incoming byte stream for messages.

Please take a moment to stop by the project page:

ELBot-DotNet Sourceforge Site

I've made some posts regarding the objective of the project, and I have posted the pre-alpha source for vb.net 2.0 in the CVS repository. Please feel free to download, compile and play with this code. Any improvements, constructive comments, or feature ideas are welcome. The first module posted is called Discovery. Named so for the reason that this module is just for learning about the basic functionality needed to make a bot. Working Bot base classes will have thier own module names, and full-featured bots requiring no coding knowledge will be created last as official releases.

Thanks again to everyone,

Nicky

no code in the cvs/svn repository yet.

There is up to a 5 hour delay between developer cvs services and other cvs services becoming sync'd up.

I didn't realize that when i posted.

Edited by nicky

the code is there, now to find a vb.net compiler for linux. there is A compiler in mono but no packages of it that i can see.

Are you planning to have a c# version of the code?

How do you expect other people to extend your work, one thing that i'm trying to do with my rewrite of my bot code is completely seperateing the implementation of the protacol as a seperate library instead of haveing everything in one place. i'm haveing a design with many listener interfaces which are used as callbacks for events ie there is a chat interface that your class can implement that when it is registered it will recieve all messages.

the code is there, now to find a vb.net compiler for linux. there is A compiler in mono but no packages of it that i can see.

Are you planning to have a c# version of the code?

How do you expect other people to extend your work, one thing that i'm trying to do with my rewrite of my bot code is completely seperateing the implementation of the protacol as a seperate library instead of haveing everything in one place. i'm haveing a design with many listener interfaces which are used as callbacks for events ie there is a chat interface that your class can implement that when it is registered it will recieve all messages.

I briefly looked at the tools out there, it's definitely going to take some research on my part. I've never developed in c#, but i understand the framework very well, so it will be a matter of learning the conventions.

The code available now is by no means designed to be extended, it just helped me understand whats going on. The way i envisioned the code extensibility is to have a basebot class that has a connect method, a login method, and fires events off for each message caught.

Where the code that handles the raised events is up in the air. your suggestion is good, create a wrapper class that contains the listeners. it would go:

New wrapper

The wrapper creates a base bot class

The wrapper creates any type of class that listens for messages coming in

Upon creation, those listener classes register thier handlers for the raised events

I'll have to look into if its ok to have multiple listeners register themselves to handle the same raised event, but i'm pretty sure it will be fine.

Wrapper calls connect method

Wrapper calls login method

Base Bot class maintains it's own heartbeat

Listeners fire off events based on events raised.

People that want to extend their bot either modifies the listeners or creates there own, just have a nice place to inject the creation of the new listener.

This stuff probebly wont end up the way i envision now, but it's a start.

That's pretty much the way the library I have (which is almost ready for release) works. Though, I suspect you'll be able to work faster in C# than I can in C. (I wrote everything - queues, hooks and handlers, hashtables, networking [on top of BSD/Win sockets], etc. - from the ground up. Makes the bot faster, makes development slower. :) )

Yours looks like it may be an interesting project. :)