Eternal Lands Official Forums
m_bee

More compact inventory

I tried several blending functions and the ones that I like better is glBlendFunc (GL_ONE, GL_ONE);

Anyone that has some opengl knowledge might be able to make some suggestion on this, Im a complete moron when it comes to opengl.

This is not part of the official cvs. It can be patched against the official cvs date of today without anyproblem at all. And then, compiled and run.

I also provided a link to a working binary above, of course, you will need to install those dll's to ensure that there is no version problem. The patch is this:

https://developer.berlios.de/patch/index.ph...7&group_id=1256

And clients here:

Instructions in English: http://jesgue.freehostia.com/client_updates.html

Instrucciones en español: http://jesgue.freehostia.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=151#151

You can try to just download the client binary and run it, it might or might not work, depending on the libs that are installed on your system, versions and such. If it does not work, you will most likely need to seek the instructions and download the dll stuff, or alternatively, compile it yourselft, that way it will perfectly work with the libs that you already have in your system.

I really like that transparency effect, and I do not notice anything strange, appart from the transparency itself, but haven t looked at all the icons one by one.

why can't you make a client that works with the normally used dll's and stuff? Why does it have to be special ones?

Dont know, I just downloaded the libs from their respective sites to compile under windows, and later found that it does not work with the libs that are shipped with the game. I dont know what the problem is. It might be that the game is shipped with anything non standard, it might be a visual c issue. Im not a windows dev, I offer that client just as a service for those willing to try it.

The code, although, is just like cvs. It is a matter of taking a cvs snapshot, patching, and compiling.

If you look at the ttlanhil windows client thread, you will see that you also need to download additional stuff to run it. I cant explain tecnicall reasons, since my knowledge about visual c is near to cero.

If you ask me about any linux issue, that is another matter. But i dont work with windows machines since at least three years ago (and dont plan to go back :) ). Maybe ttlanhil or any more skilled person than me can tall what the problem is... Im clueless. Maybe it is time to make a developer site for the el client where it is clearly detalied the libs and stuff needed for this to work on the official install.

Or maybe i just bypassed some trivial thing, which is more than possible, since I dont have any experience in MSVC. I wait for clues on this issue, if someone can help.

Thanks and cheers :mace:

EDIT: I dont have any special interes in people downloading those dll's or anything. In fact, I would really like to get rid of them. So, any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by m_bee

If you look at the ttlanhil windows client thread, you will see that you also need to download additional stuff to run it. I cant explain tecnicall reasons, since my knowledge about visual c is near to cero.
I can :)

libpng13.dll: I've enabled the PNG screenshot option in my client. that's not on in the default build, so it can't be assumed that people have the PNG lib

msvcp71.dll: MSVC links against windows libs... people on WinXP will have this one already... some of the people with older OSes... but not all (they will have older versions, though, which doesn't help). MS says to distribute this dll with programs, to make sure people have it

cal3d_ttlanhil.dll: unlike the rest of the libs, there's no pre-made dll/lib available. since I don't link against the same lib as entropy does, I can't use the same DLL (at least, in this case. linking against a lib means that your program knows where in the dll to find the code it wants... different libs can necessitate linking against the dll associated with that lib)

I may have gotten a bit too technical... but basically... one for the screenshots ability, one for older versions of windows (since I use MS's compiler), and one because the Cal3d people didn't make one

the rest of the stuff in my installer is data files. command list for competion, the knowledge list, option to get music files from EL website, stuff like that

Hehe, I usually forget how windows works about this.

Yeah, I should have thought of that. I did not know that the standard client does not bring that feature...

The msvc thing was so clarifying, thanks ttlanhil. So it is a matter about the MS OS versions... weird, does tha mean that different service packs (or whatever they are called now) will also fail to run this thing? Just curious... I dont know how different the many versions of windows xp are.

About the cal3d thingie, I suppose you are right. Every single binary client out there needs to provide the cal3d.dll against wich it was linked, just because windows seems not to be able to handle position independent code in the same way that linux and other os's do (this is just a conjeture, no real knoledge about the issue is on my head :P ).

Well, there is the explanation. Even though, I remember people complaining about more missing dll's. Which is why my dll package is bigger... I dont have the time to mess with windows to find the cause of the bad thing. Anyway, as I said, the thing will compile in any windows machine, just like a normal cvs client. My patch does not add any aditional deps in which regards dlls. Those dlls are needed cause the el client do need them. The special cases have been explained very well by ttlanhil.

Thanks again, ttl :)

weird, does tha mean that different service packs (or whatever they are called now) will also fail to run this thing?
no, it's that older versions of windows may not have the dll at all. the 71 is for MSVC 7.1, which is what I use... back in the win98 days there was no MSVC 7.1 :P there are previous versions of msvcp as well, though
Every single binary client out there needs to provide the cal3d.dll against wich it was linked, just because windows seems not to be able to handle position independent code in the same way that linux and other os's do
it depends on how it's linked. whether it's by offset or symbol lookup
Even though, I remember people complaining about more missing dll's
I've had a number of those that turned out to be them extracting on desktop or whatever, hence why I went to an installer instead of zip :)

Mmmmm, what about removing the multiplicity number when the "heap" is formed by just 1 item?

I find it annoying that when you have the inv full of SRs or leather helms :icon13:

Let me know what do you think... This all is about improving and clarify the interface a bit more... Make it more friendly and usable... For that same reason, that 1 would be removed in the inv, sto and bag windows. But it would still appear in the trade window (to avoid problems) and in the 6 manu boxes where you put the ingredients.

Hmmmm. I just fired this up on my linux box and I am getting a completely top down view in the game window. Any ideas?

(the resizeable windows rock though!)

Do you mean that the camera is into any strange position?

I never saw such a problem (and it is unlikely that this patch is doing something like that...). Dont know...

Now that I think, there is any chance... The binary structure that is saved has been altered, to make room for the 7th quantity box that appears when you turn off the drop all button. If the camera position is saved on exit -wich i dont know- that might be the source of the problem.

Can you move out your ~/.elc/el.cfg file out of sight and see if that helps? maybe that is the problem... It is a strange case, anyway, no one had such a problem like the one you describe. And once you move the camera a bit and go out, and then relog, it should be gone anyway...

Let me know how that works, and thanks for taking some time to try this thingie :hug:

EDIT: I uploaded a new revision of the patch, with minor fixes -nothing important- plus a version bump of the define of the config file. Now it is 7. So, the client should detect that and ignore that file. This will avoid any problems related to the quantities array being bigger (7) now.

Edited by m_bee

Yes. It appears from directly above.

Moving ~/.elc/el.cfg out of the road fixed it, but replacing it caused the same problem. This doesn't occur with any other patch or client.

If you would like, I can send you the cfg file, but it sounds like you know what it could be anyway.

So the cause of the problem seems to be some kind of weird corruption issue in that bin file.

Though I will need to look a bit... The real problem is that i cant reproduce the bug, so I cant know either when it is fixed... weird. Many linux users -incluiding me- run it with no problems. And many windows boxes hasnt reported anything similar either. So, I can just make shots in the dark until i kill the fly on a strike of luck :confused: Ill revise a couple of things and uplead an update soon.

Thanks for all the input, it is really appreciated and helpful. :confused:

EDIT: Another revision is in berlios. I dont know if that will help -probably not- but try it anyway.

Edited by m_bee

The drop all button works with the mouse wheel??? Why the hell would it do that. Of course it should only work if you click it.

I'd just place the button along side of the quantities, being the last in a row.

I'd prefer to have one standardized version for the interface too. Having a small/large version is a good idea though, for people who can't see well or just want it bigger.

I want the word Equipment on top of the equip boxes no matter what-this is for newbies, they need it. Of course, ideally, we should have a "paper doll" type thing like most games have. Then it'd be more clear.

If you are really, really interested in the paper doll thingie, you -and Entropy- should read this. Maybe I missed something important, or maybe im wrong, but I think that a bit of server side support would make this thing incredibly easy to implement.

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.p...topic=26022&hl=

Thanks for your time. :)

Edited by m_bee

Yes. It appears from directly above.

Moving ~/.elc/el.cfg out of the road fixed it, but replacing it caused the same problem. This doesn't occur with any other patch or client.

If you would like, I can send you the cfg file, but it sounds like you know what it could be anyway.

By the way, be sure you download and recompile the latest patch.

After that, when switching from any other client to mine, you should be greeted with the rules screen (since the cfg file is bypassed and a new one created, cause the version is different).

Otherwise, having the two clients (standard ccvs and mine) running along together could, hipotetically, cause this issue... Not sure it that is the problem, though.

I never saw such a problem (and it is unlikely that this patch is doing something like that...). Dont know...

Now that I think, there is any chance... The binary structure that is saved has been altered, to make room for the 7th quantity box that appears when you turn off the drop all button. If the camera position is saved on exit -wich i dont know- that might be the source of the problem.

it is. any changes to the position of data in el.cfg will require a new version of that file. of course, the camera pan is set with a min max, and you should be able to pan back to normal when it's in a wrong position, so it's not that big an issue, but be aware of the changes el.cfg can cause

Yes, that is why i reconsidered what I say in the first line a couple of lines below hehe. I did not express it in a good way though. Thanks for clarifying it, but yes, I am aware of that. Even though, I bumped the version of the code to 7, and I cant see any other thing -appart from that one that I and you mentioned- that could do any harm. So, I think that this should be fixed. Still, I would like Torg to download the latest patch and try it, to see if there is any problem.

Just to let you all know... Im taking some days of relax, while the update comes. I want to make some cleaning on the code, but the "visible" part of the work is mostly done, unless you want me to change something more.

There are still some creepy parts of the interface that scares me, and so I have some questions, so, if you ever have some minutes, I would like to hear your opinion on this one, Roja :D

We all know about the F6 thingie, we all also know how scary it seems, overall the right-bottom part of the screen, where the image seems to be cutted with a knife without any pity at all. I suggest to fix this or completelly get rid of the F6 mode, cause it looks like crap. I can try to do something if you have some idea on how it would look better. If you like it that way... well, then forget that I said this :icon13:

Just the random thought of the day.

it is. any changes to the position of data in el.cfg will require a new version of that file. of course, the camera pan is set with a min max, and you should be able to pan back to normal when it's in a wrong position, so it's not that big an issue, but be aware of the changes el.cfg can cause

This is also why el.cfg had a version number, and spare unused values. People should be trying to use the unused int's and floats, if they need more space or major changes, then the version number needs to be increments and the new values added. Moving where anything is stored should cause a version number increment.

When the version number doesn't match what is expected, the client will ignore the file and defaily all the values and a new el.cfg is created with the new version number.

Forgot to post here yesterday. BerliOS stuff cleaned to patch cleanly against the new release of the client. Nothing else changed, just that, so, you can still test it patched against the latest client.

Really really love the Patch, Few things really.

1) When first putting on the patch all you get is an X on all dialogs apart from inventory, I thought the patch was bad, until I restarted.

2) The button on Inventory is square, which I like. Yet in Sigils and Manufacture is oval.

3) The "Get All" button in the Bag dialog is blue!? I do like it in blue.

4) I can't help but notice that the close "X" takes up an awful lot of space in the dialogs. I notice that the header has a nice looking stylized X on the right hand side. I know the idea is not to make a windows manager, but would be nice to have a help on there too.

5) I have a couple of things that I think are interesting about the equipment window

a) Equipment overylays the Close button

:( Is Items and Equipment *really* the correct labels at all

c) would space better be served if the labels were.

i. aligned bottom to top, instead of left to right

ii. remove the word inventory altogether and have the two dialog boxes conjoined

6) The Sigils dialog has a different behavior to that of manufacture dialog even though they are almost exactly the same.

a) clicking on a selected item should remove an item from the casting boxes

B) hovering over an item should tell you what it is. At the item as it is with money not in dialog

7) The manufacturing/sigils dialog has space alongside the buttons why not have a image of what you are going to mix/cast when you have selected the right combination

8) In the manufacturing dialog is "mix" the *right* word really.

Sorry about the long post but I'm mining titanium. :P