Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndyH

Autosave function...

Hi!

Why is there no autosave-feature or something like that implemented? Is it planed to do so?

Maybe it would be a way to implement a command like #save or something like that, if that's easier to make?

I think it is a must to have such feature at least for the final release...

If it is saved automatically the user-stats should be saved at least every X minutes (maybe 5 or 10)...

It's annoying to loose the fruits of playing several hours if the server crashes...

Maybe you can think about... :D

Bye,

AndyH

The search button is your friend, try using it before posting

ok. i see. i'm sorry...

AndyH

The search button is your friend, try using it before posting

I've searched but there is no entry found with 'autosave'...

AndyH

If there was such command, i can assure you that would be ilegal to use. Maybe due to an increasing server usage or another good reason.

If there was such command, i can assure you that would be ilegal to use. Maybe due to an increasing server usage or another good reason.

I don't think so... If you log off/log on every 20 minutes (which is NOW the only way to be on the save side) it sould be massivly more work for the server...

BTW: anyone knows on which hardware the gameserver is running?

Bye,

AndyH

Awwww come on, did you try "save" or "#save" or "auto save" or "auto-save" or "save feature"?

:D

Awwww come on, did you try "save" or "#save" or "auto save" or "auto-save" or "save feature"?

:omg:

ok. i've found a few threads, but they all are sleeping for a long time or there are no answers... i'm wondering why anyone can talk about that in the way they do it...

do you know which hardware is used for the gameserver? it would be interessting for me cause every time people say something would get the server down, and so on...

bye,,

AndyH

I think if you actually read the threads you say you found, you would have found plenty of answers, I did:

there used to be a client that had a #save option. :omg:

That worked pretty nicely, it disconnected and connected you again within a second. (no need to retype name and password)

214029[/snapback]

except that it's prone to paranoid people typing #save every minute, which, if you have a lot of paranoid people, is a lot of disk I/O, and that's very slow(compared to nearly all other computer work)

I never lose work on average, because I am smart and save often. If you don't care enough about your stats and items to save, why would I?

the #save command on the illegal client worked good.. never had problems with it so why not do that??

Because Entropy doesn't want people saving that often, that easily for fear of bogging the server down.

in the tc-client it had worked very well.

the TC page also had a warning that if it was overused the feature would be removed... currently I beleive saving is all done on disk directly, which isn't fast (and hence why there isn't a #save I suspect)

ok . i see what you want to say... but why is there a forum if whishes/suggestions from much players are ignored in such a way?

i don't see a good answer... you can for example limit the save-command for one time each 10 minutes or do it automatically every 10 minutes or so...

can you give me infos about the hardware?

bye & thx for discussion :omg: ,

AndyH

ok . i see what you want to say... but why is there a forum if whishes/suggestions from much players are ignored in such a way?

Just because somebody suggests something doesn't mean it can or should be ingame. For every 100 suggestions, 1 might make it in. Nothing is ignored, but not everything is feasable or something we want either. And this wasn't ignored. Entropy made it clear he doesn't want autosave or a #save command. Nothing else really needed to be said.

And no, I don't know the server hardware information. I would suggest you forum pm Entropy or Learner with your questions about that.

ok. i understand what you try to explain me...

i only meant that it is not satisfying if you make a suggestion and the answer is no whith out a reason.

ok - they said that it would be a security hole or can cost to much hardware-resources, but in my own opinion that're both things we can discuss about futher more...

if anyone would say there is this only server which this hardware and there's no money, etc. to upgrade it or i would understand...

i'm faced with such problems every day cause i'm responsilbe for some application- and database servers at my job - so i have to discuss such points often :omg:

thx for your patience :P

bye

AndyH

I recall Entropy making the point that if a bug in the server code corrupted the character data that autosave might corrupt a massive number of the characters.

As I understand it, each character's data resides in a separate datafile. This file is read when the character logs on and is written when the character logs off (or is disconnected, etc.) I think there would be opportunities for disk I/O bottlenecks if an autosave feature was implemented.

Another issue with autosave is that the autosave might happen at inconvenient times such as in the middle of a battle (or maybe in between opponents in Kilaran Field) or during a trading session. With the current system you can (for the most part) choose where and when you want to log off.

to me cool #save command but should at least hour or more between the command if were come in to play or

make client log out character take to main screen so can relog in easyer (so at least some time wait)

but if people save every min, my comment is come on character not going go up level that fast or have 2 rare item gain that close together.

actual realty since seem post that that going not feature that every implemented in it then just do by old fasshin way saveing, log out by exit progrram and then restrated and log it in.

Edited by jamesvm

how DIFFICULT is it to log out damnit! :D

Trivial. Alt-X never fails me.

It's logging back in that takes a while, enough to make it a bit painful (although there's talk about changing the way information is loaded so logins will be faster which will help).

how about a command that brings you back to Main Menu with Log in and Create a new char Menu

how DIFFICULT is it to log out damnit! :D

Actually, I found a case where I couldn't log out at all.

Earlier, my keyboard stopped responding - I could still control my mouse, but without keyboard, I couldn't log out. No Alt+X, Ctrl+Q, #quit, #exit, nothing. The old "log out" checkbox that was in the options menu before would be nice...

...hopefully, it was a rare occurence, so such need really isn't there...

Actually, I found a case where I couldn't log out at all.

Earlier, my keyboard stopped responding - I could still control my mouse, but without keyboard, I couldn't log out. No Alt+X, Ctrl+Q, #quit, #exit, nothing. The old "log out" checkbox that was in the options menu before would be nice...

...hopefully, it was a rare occurence, so such need really isn't there...

you can still kill it with mouse only

if you're in fullscreen, use config to go to windowed. then click the 'X' in the topright. now, yes, people claim it doesn't work. it does. you just need to keep clicking and it'll work after a few seconds

alternatively, if you use WinXP (or nt/2k) and have the task manager minimised, you can use that to kill programs (ctrl+alt+del, then use menus to minimise to the tray. it's handy to have a CPU activity monitor at times)

you can still kill it with mouse only

if you're in fullscreen, use config to go to windowed. then click the 'X' in the topright. now, yes, people claim it doesn't work. it does. you just need to keep clicking and it'll work after a few seconds

Hopefully, there isn't a next time to try this, but I didn't even think of it at the time.

Darn keyboard totally died on me...

alternatively, if you use WinXP (or nt/2k) and have the task manager minimised, you can use that to kill programs (ctrl+alt+del, then use menus to minimise to the tray. it's handy to have a CPU activity monitor at times)

Key words, ttl - my keyboard stopped responding (Ctrl+Alt+Del was not an option - I tried).

Key words, ttl - my keyboard stopped responding (Ctrl+Alt+Del was not an option - I tried).

I know, but you only need ctrl+alt+del to start the thing, which could have been long before. then you can minimise to systray and leave it there showing CPU usage(I have it there almost all the time). then you can get it by clicking on demand