Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Roja

Client Programming needed

I have one other question. Where are you guys storing your fragment and vertex programs? I don't see any fragment or vertex programs in the directory/subdirectories of where I installed elc. I found one place in the code where it looks like they were using the fragment shader but it doesn't seem to be a valid directory.

/home/daniel/Develop/el-cvs/elc/shader/normal_mapping_vs.gls

I found this code in shader.c

I guess what I mean to ask is will I have to blend my shader code with already existing shader code, or do we not as of yet use vertex/fragment shaders.

Josh

I have one other question. Where are you guys storing your fragment and vertex programs? I don't see any fragment or vertex programs in the directory/subdirectories of where I installed elc. I found one place in the code where it looks like they were using the fragment shader but it doesn't seem to be a valid directory.

/home/daniel/Develop/el-cvs/elc/shader/normal_mapping_vs.gls

I found this code in shader.c

I guess what I mean to ask is will I have to blend my shader code with already existing shader code, or do we not as of yet use vertex/fragment shaders.

Josh

There are NO existing fragment and vertex programs at all! On person was working on it and we haven't seen him in a couple months.

Hi everyone! I joined the game today and I would love to join the project. I am a programmer and 3d modeler. I understand that your game is written in C, but the map viewer is in Python. I have solid experience in Python. I never tried C, but I have a base programming knowledge and could probably do the boring scripting tasks the important programmers shouldnt be wasting their time on. I also model with Blender and can make all sorts of items you might need. I'm fair with texture creation, but its probably better to have someone else do that. So, I'll do any of the following:

1. Work on the map viewer or any python scripts in the game

2. Take care of simple, menial tasks to assist the C programmers

3. Model any 3d objects needed for the development of the game

If anyone could use my help I would love to help a lot, so please contact me!

Thanks,

Lumino

Lumino, the map editor is not programmed in Python, only the e3d exporters...maybe there are some other python things, but the coding is in C.

Right now I don't need any more 3d/2d art, but if I ever do I'll post on the forums asking for help in that category.

As for programming, look through this forum and if you can help with something then you're welcome to do so :)

Ok, thanks, I guess I'll just wait until someone needs something I can help with. If any art is needed soon please contact me, I really want to help. If theres anything else with Python please contact me as well. Thanks,

Lumino

I just saw this message to help program for El, and I would love to participate, although currently I'm in a competion to create a 3D space game, when the competition is over, I would be happy to help out in what ever way I can.

BladeStone, Owner

WolfCrown.com

P.S.: who use to do the coding for you?

Edited by BladeStone

P.S.: who use to do the coding for you?
over the years, a lot of people have contributed code for EL. there are some people who have been doing ti a long time, some people have contributed only one or two patches.

some devs move on, and new ones come along to help out, or people with experience in a different area fill a spot, etc

Guest newmember13

Hello,

I have some knowlage of MSVC++ and i am willing to help make patchs and fix bugs.

I will start programming as soon as i get an idea and ask the players/other programmers to make sure it is worth it.

I'm thinking of a quick-chat system right now. Is this a good idea?

Thank you,

newmember13

:confused::P:rolleyes::happy:

Quick chat? You're gonna have to explain that one as I don't see how chatting can be any quicker than it is right now :confused:

Guest newmember13

What i mean is, for slow typers this will be an advantage.

With a few clicks, you could say, "What is your ________ level?"

And the reply: "My ________ level is......"

Basicly, all the common Questions/Replys/Greetings will be there in a few clicks.

Someone beat you to text macros a few weeks ago. (I know macros is an inappropriate word, so I will call it text shortcuts)

Basicly, all the common Questions/Replys/Greetings will be there in a few clicks.

I don't thinks that very useful.

To greet all the people in a room an emote would be much better IMHO.

Guest newmember13

Ok, thank you for your opinions, if you have any bugs/suggestions, I will help in any way i can.

I have lots of free time but my computer is going to be repaired soon and it will take a little while to get fixed.

Thank you again,

newmember13

PS Is the bug in the first post on this topic(monsters not in sync). Has that been fixed?

Edited by newmember13

No idea where to suggest it, so I try here (this being the thread most concerned :)

Could the FAQ or the projects list be updated a bit?

As it is now, the last update to the projects list is (or at least seems to be) from 2006, and the only topic linked to seems to

concern a finished project

So, if there are projects you need ppl for, please update the list in the first post, or

perhaps (if applicable) change the FAQ item to show that you have enough programmers atm (which of course can change in future)

Resurrecting this thread once again...

I was wandering if there are any plans for future (long-term) development of EL and if so, could they be announced?

As revi said the project list wasn't updated for months also there were very few EL-blog updates lately.

There was some info about new engine and city building but it seems that both of those ideas were abandoned and now whole EL development stopped.

The client is constantly being developed my numerous people.

We recently had a new client release (1.9.0) which included many graphical and functional enhancements.

It's just that there's no single place where every single client change is logged and easily readable.

Patches submitted by those without commit privileges on EL's CVS repo can be seen here:

http://developer.berlios.de/patch/?group_id=1256

As you can see, there are patches actively being submitted and approved, just not every change is being submitted via that system.

In regards to large-scale, long-term client improvement projects... yeah, afaik the only system really in place for that is these forums.

Edited by Korrode

As Korrode said, the client is quite actively developed, but there is no place with long/mid-term projects info because they are usually decided by Radu with the programmer who codes them.

For what I know there are the following mid-term projects (mid-term as in "probably next update"):

- fight & ranging on horses

- larger textures and more character details

- new emotes and a pose system (many different stand/sit/walk animations)

For long-term (a.k.a "probably the update next to the next one" :P)

- dynamic map loading

- terrain engine

- city building

Mid-term projects are already quite advanced, most of them are in the cvs. I will start coding map loading and city building as soon as the new engine is ready.

I never thought or wanted to imply that the client isn't actively developed; just that the places where one would expect to find information about open jobs seem horribly out-of-date, making it rather difficult to help out for new potential programmers. I personally got the feeling that you have enough people and are not really looking for additional help...

For long-term (a.k.a "probably the update next to the next one" :P)

- dynamic map loading

- terrain engine

- city building

Mid-term projects are already quite advanced, most of them are in the cvs. I will start coding map loading and city building as soon as the new engine is ready.

Out of curiosity: "Dynamic map loading" means that the maps will be dynamically loaded as walk around in them? But the concept of game maps (instead of a huge world map) will stay?