Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Aeoquis

Unsure where to post this...Mod please address this

While playing last night, I was experiencing a great degree of lag. I played on because I enjoy the game. I was entering the cave on DP to get iron ore, and I had to move some things around in my inventory, I wanted to be able to place in ore in a window I could see. Suddenly in red letters across the bottom of my inventory window comes a message about not being able to put more than 1 item in a space(or something to that effect) and then it said: 'Stop F***ing with the server'. There were no astrics in what I saw.

I have to tell you, I was/am deeply offened by this. I wasn't trying to bother anything or anyone. I was trying to move a few items, and it seems due to the lag this caused a problem. What sort of language is that!? I'm over 50 years old and I don't talk like that, and people around me don't talk like that. It isn't necessary and shows a lack of respect, intelligence, and imagination. It also shows someone assuming bad intentions on the part of another. Shame on whoever put that message in the program.

I think this is a wonderfull game and I really enjoy my time playing. Yet, this has really upset me as there was no reason for such action. I will continue to play, but someone there has given EL a blackeye.

Well, you could call it a little 'easter egg', a small joke and only rare event triggers this and it is uncommon. Im sorry that you were offended but this occurs when your lagging and the server gets confused.

The only way for this to be rectified is by a programmer removing it, and I believe Entropy (onf of the owners of the game) won't be doing that.

Have you tried addressing your lag issues?

if you don't like people cussing, then also avoid manu-ing during lag, and don't talk to edlera. amongst others.

(say... the filters should be extended to work on this too, for the people who don't like a certain someone's potty mouth)

Edited by ttlanhil

(say... the filters should be extended to work on this too, for the people who don't like a certain someone's potty mouth)

Haha! I appologize for that, whenever I see something along those lines I just file it away in "This came is unique" or "That gives the game character!" Dont worry, you will not see that often.

Thank you for answering me. Thank you again for the apology.

If you have any suggestions concerning the lag issues I would certainly appreciate hearing them. I am on wireless cable and I don't know why I have the lag problems I do.

At least one suggestion for lag issues - make sure you have the bare minimum running on your computer when you run EL - meaning, if you have 500 internet browser windows running, try closing a few. Don't turn off AntiVirus software, however, but having an active test running while you try to play a game isn't exactly smart, either.

Aeoquis, have you run a traceroute (tracert in windows) to the EL server? This might see whether its a router on the way causing the lag.

Also, could you post your Computer specs (CUP, RAM, GPU) and connection speed and we might be able to resolve it :D

Aeoquis, have you run a traceroute (tracert in windows) to the EL server? This might see whether its a router on the way causing the lag.

Also, could you post your Computer specs (CUP, RAM, GPU) and connection speed and we might be able to resolve it ;)

Thank you for your suggestions, Placid. I found tracert but I don't know what to do with it. I am currently running Windows XP, I have wireless cable connection, usually running 11.0Mbps. I have alot of space and I don't run other stuff when I'm playing. It's strange also that only recently has the music not worked either while I play.

I wonder if uninstalling the game and reinstalling might not help? Could this be a driver problem? I don't know, I sure wouldn't mind any advice.

Thank you for your suggestions, Placid. I found tracert but I don't know what to do with it. I am currently running Windows XP, I have wireless cable connection, usually running 11.0Mbps. I have alot of space and I don't run other stuff when I'm playing. It's strange also that only recently has the music not worked either while I play.

I wonder if uninstalling the game and reinstalling might not help? Could this be a driver problem? I don't know, I sure wouldn't mind any advice.

Run this in a command prompt (start->run and type "cmd" and press enter).

tracert eternal-lands.network-studio.com

Post the output of it here and it might give us a clue.

Reinstalling probably won't help, but it can't hurt. Also, try updating your drivers, this could be a network or graphics issue.

While playing last night, I was experiencing a great degree of lag. I played on because I enjoy the game. I was entering the cave on DP to get iron ore, and I had to move some things around in my inventory, I wanted to be able to place in ore in a window I could see. Suddenly in red letters across the bottom of my inventory window comes a message about not being able to put more than 1 item in a space(or something to that effect) and then it said: 'Stop F***ing with the server'. There were no astrics in what I saw.

I have to tell you, I was/am deeply offened by this. I wasn't trying to bother anything or anyone. I was trying to move a few items, and it seems due to the lag this caused a problem. What sort of language is that!? I'm over 50 years old and I don't talk like that, and people around me don't talk like that. It isn't necessary and shows a lack of respect, intelligence, and imagination. It also shows someone assuming bad intentions on the part of another. Shame on whoever put that message in the program.

I think this is a wonderfull game and I really enjoy my time playing. Yet, this has really upset me as there was no reason for such action. I will continue to play, but someone there has given EL a blackeye.

I had seen this message before as well, and had not been very impressed. Tonight, however, I tried to put items into the same space in my inventory. (Testing for the message.) The item would not move, and no message was displayed. It looks as though this one has been fixed. If so, many thanks to whoever fixed it.

:icon13:

KeiraOwl

I wondr if uninstalling the game and reinstalling might not help? Could this be a driver problem? I don't know, I sure wouldn't mind any advice.

Run this in a command prompt (start->run and type "cmd" and press enter).

tracert eternal-lands.network-studio.com

Post the output of it here and it might give us a clue.

Reinstalling probably won't help, but it can't hurt. Also, try updating your drivers, this could be a network or graphics issue.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Randall>tracert eternal-lands.network-studio.com

Tracing route to eternal-lands.network-studio.com [62.93.225.26]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 2 ms 2 ms 192.168.0.1

2 * * * Request timed out.

3 * * * Request timed out.

4 * * * Request timed out.

5 * * * Request timed out.

6 * * * Request timed out.

7 * * * Request timed out.

8 * * * Request timed out.

9 * * * Request timed out.

10 * * * Request timed out.

11 * * * Request timed out.

12 * * * Request timed out.

13 * * * Request timed out.

14 * * * Request timed out.

15 * * * Request timed out.

16 122 ms 124 ms 122 ms eternal-lands.network-studio.com [62.93.225.26]

Trace complete.

C:\Documents and Settings\Randall>

this is what I got and I sure hope it tells you something about what is going on. Thanks again for your persistance and help!!

Very bizarre, are you behind a router?

Well, I know there is a router involved in my connection since I'm wireless. My husbands computer is directly connected to the cable internet(Comcast) and I'm on D'Link about 15-20 feet away from his. It's been this way for the better part of a year and hasn't been a problem until recently though.

Well, I know there is a router involved in my connection since I'm wireless. My husbands computer is directly connected to the cable internet(Comcast) and I'm on D'Link about 15-20 feet away from his. It's been this way for the better part of a year and hasn't been a problem until recently though.

Hmmm.

Could you try the tracert again but using its IP address (Start->Run->type cmd->click ok/press enter):

tracert 62.93.225.26

Post the ouput here again.

I've noticed when pining/traceroute'ing the server address eternal-lands.network-studio.com myself, its VERY slow. Try one of the following:

2. Change the server address in el.ini to eternal-lands.solexine.fr

3. Change the server address in el.ini to 62.93.225.26

The file EL.ini can be found in the installation directory (C:\Program Files\Eternal Lands\ by default).

Lemme know if that helps at all.

[EDIT]

Just in case your confused, here's the bit in el.ini you need to look for:

Login settings:

#server_address = eternal-lands.network-studio.com

#server_port = 2000

Hmmm.

Could you try the tracert again but using its IP address (Start->Run->type cmd->click ok/press enter):

tracert 62.93.225.26

Post the ouput here again.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Randall>tracert 62.93.225.26

Tracing route to eternal-lands.network-studio.com [62.93.225.26]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 2 ms 2 ms 192.168.0.1

2 * * * Request timed out.

3 * * * Request timed out.

4 * * * Request timed out.

5 * * * Request timed out.

6 * * * Request timed out.

7 * * * Request timed out.

8 * * * Request timed out.

9 * * * Request timed out.

10 * * * Request timed out.

11 * * * Request timed out.

12 * * * Request timed out.

13 * * * Request timed out.

14 * * * Request timed out.

15 * * * Request timed out.

16 125 ms 123 ms 122 ms eternal-lands.network-studio.com [62.93.225.26]

Trace complete.

C:\Documents and Settings\Randall>

Ok, here is the latest. I'm going to try the other suggestion in just a moment and I'll let you know what happens with that. I hope something as this lag is driving me to distraction...and I just lost a db cause I couldn't get back in time :pinch:(

Ok, I tried the new code and it didn't work at all. I couldn't connect to anything. I put it back they way it was.

I'll wait to hear from you.

I'm exploring the new stuff and huzzah!! It's great!!

Ok this isn't related to the lag discussion, but I got a similiar message. While training, I picked up a bag, and tried to take off my mm cape pretty much at the same time, and voila picture19al.png

Edited by Atlantis

This seems to be a router issue (DNS). Specifying the IP address or eternal-lands.solexine.fr should still have worked (whether it reduced the lag or not).

I suggest you take a look at the router settings and especially its DNS configuration. Perhaps you've got a bad route to the Nameserver or something.

errrm.

This may be coming from left field here, but if your husband is connected to the modem, and you are wireless through a router, that may be the source of your trouble.

Normally modems are not able to handle multiple signals. That is why there are routers. Ideally what you want is the modem connected to the router and hten your husband's computer plugged in to the router, while you go wireless.

Can you post the make of modem that you are using (like Toshiba PCX 2500) ? I can get back to you on whether or not it supports multiple connections.

If it is hooked up as I described (husband plugged into router, you wireless) try moving your computer to the router and plugging it in to a port there. then do a tracert. See if the router is having issues with the wireless signal. There are some other trouble shooting steps you can look at, but it would be best to call either your ISP or the maker of your router (if it was not installed by the ISP) for proper connections, diagnostics and for in-depth troubleshooting.

That tracert shows that there are major issues with the connection starting at the router. This is something that your ISP or router manufacturer should support.

I will chack back later today if you have more info.

Edited by Dent

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this