Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ryu5659

Idea for perception

What perception can be, is the ability to scout things out. What it does for you, The range in which u can select an animal/monster to attack is legthened. And more perception, the better chance u can see secrets.

I really like this idea! onl issue I'd see is that the distance might end up lowered for newbies but still a great idea! migh have to be a max distance tho

What do you mean by "see secrets"?

Hmm could work...

We already have 'secrets', in the form of 'hotspot' items, which when clicked on give access to another area or some other effect. Since these are just map objects, they are always visible if you (the player) knows where to look -- but that doesnt mean you character should automatically see it.

This could be resolved with a PERCEPTION .vs. DIFFICULTY test: Clicking on the hotspot triggers the test, and only if the test passes does the hotspot effect occur.

A general problem with any random test like this is that players would just repeat-click until the test passes.

This can be solved (to some degree) by reduce Perception by 1/point per attempt, pass or fail. Perception would recover at the usual rate (1/min if not hungry). This would limit the effectiveness of rapid-clicking to compensate for low ability, though it would also reveal that there is a perception test there!

Of course this is a general mechanism could be applied to any attribute or skill, and it may also be fun to consider what happens with criticall sucesses and failures...

So, people with high perception will lag out or have low FPS because of everything they can see?

he didnt say he want more view, just that u can click the monsters on long range :>

I don"t think that's a good idea trollson. Secrets are things that you must find yourself, because they are hidden, but if you know them, yíou can use them freely (since they are not a secret to you anymore). Same if someone tells you about it.

I don"t think that's a good idea trollson. Secrets are things that you must find yourself, because they are hidden, but if you know them, yíou can use them freely (since they are not a secret to you anymore). Same if someone tells you about it.

Thats not a reason to discount the idea though -- secrets could come in either form; tested or not tested, or even tested then tagged (bypass test in future, cf. quests). The suggestion only adds to the scope of the game, it doesnt take away anything already present.

Additionally, this doesnt just apply to 'perception'; any attribute or skill (or nexus) could be the subject of a test. For example, a test against dexterity to undo a tangled knot.

I can't say I like the part about "seeing secrets" either. I don't mind increased perception letting you see a wider range on a map but it shouldn't give away what the secrets are. Just because a player sees the trigger item doesn't mean he knows it IS a trigger item...that shouldn't change.

I can't say I like the part about "seeing secrets" either. I don't mind increased perception letting you see a wider range on a map but it shouldn't give away what the secrets are. Just because a player sees the trigger item doesn't mean he knows it IS a trigger item...that shouldn't change.

Hmm, certainly thats not something I have suggested. But really this is something for the scenario writer to decide upon, give a rich set of tools to emply.

Highlighting trigger objects (eg, flash or outline) couldn't be done without a client change anyway. But there could be scope for an area based test to trigger a message: "you hear faint sounds of singing and laughing coming from the old tree stump".

Hmm, certainly thats not something I have suggested. But really this is something for the scenario writer to decide upon, give a rich set of tools to emply.

Highlighting trigger objects (eg, flash or outline) couldn't be done without a client change anyway. But there could be scope for an area based test to trigger a message: "you hear faint sounds of singing and laughing coming from the old tree stump".

I was refering to your "test area"...even giving them the hints that there is something to be found defeats the purpose of "secret".

I was refering to your "test area"...even giving them the hints that there is something to be found defeats the purpose of "secret".

I didn't mention anything about "test area" until after your post :)

But anyway, that is only one type of "secret", and can you presuppose what a scenario designer would want to do? Nothing here says that you must do something in a particular way, only that options shuld be available to the designer to use to their best effect.

I didn't mention anything about "test area" until after your post :confused:

Read your post 4 posts before my first one :confused:

I didn't mention anything about "test area" until after your post :confused:

Read your post 4 posts before my first one :confused:

Sorry don't see the connection -- theres nothing about area effects in that post, only about clicking on a hotspot (ie, trigger object).

I didn't mention anything about "test area" until after your post :)

Read your post 4 posts before my first one :)

Sorry don't see the connection -- theres nothing about area effects in that post, only about clicking on a hotspot (ie, trigger object).

I think she got "test area" confused with "hotspot" with a test... ;-)

Edited by Torg