Eternal Lands Official Forums
0ctane

OS X client specific bugs and To Do

Guest sillek

Well I only have a 15" screen, so it's hard not to play full screen.

As far as being booted...I was just standing near docks reading the hotkeys/shortcuts/commands in the help menu.

Now if I can only do the NPCs hunting quest without dying. I keep getting up to only two or three beavers left, then I die and have to start all over again. Ok, ok..no more posts without bug reports.

Oh my. I think I know what my problem is. I'm using the 0.2 version of the game client on my new Mac system. I didn't think about trying 0.3. I'm betting that this will stop all the freezing. I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Neeever mind. The 0.3 version is doing the same thing as the other guy mentioned. I'll have to revert back to version 0.2. Oh well!

Edited by Tantu

03a crashes upon launch for me.

02a works fine with no sound.

Mac OS X 10.4.6

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: iMac

Machine Model: iMac4,1

CPU Type: Intel Core Duo

Number Of Cores: 2

CPU Speed: 1.83 GHz

L2 Cache (shared): 2 MB

Memory: 1 GB

Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Apr 6 23:14:44 Alan-Trulock crashdump[8042]: el_osx crashed

Apr 6 23:14:44 Alan-Trulock crashdump[8042]: crash report written to: /Users/alantrulock/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/el_osx.crash.log

dyld: Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL

Referenced from: /Users/alantrulock/Desktop/el_osx.app/Contents/MacOS/el_osx

Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:

/Library/Frameworks/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL: mach-o, but wrong architecture

My SDL frameworks are PPC. I do not know if the Intel version comes with a Universal binary of SDL or not. I have been fooling with SDL lately and did install precompiled SDL libraries from www.libsdl.org

I am guessing that I will need to roll my own UB SDL libraries to fix me compatability issues.

03a crashes upon launch for me.

02a works fine with no sound.

dyld: Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL

Stupid me. I forgot to package in SDL and SDL_net. I compiled these myself on i386, so everything should be native. I am now uploading a fixed version (0.3b) that includes higher resolution support and widescreen support. It should be available ~4:30AM EST.

[edit] available, with Universal binary for Tiger users. I have tested it (UB) on MacBook Pro and G5 iMac.

Edited by 0ctane

03b release now runs for me. I see the included Frameworks in the package.

I have not had time to stress test the release though. I haven't played for months so I am learning how the game works all over again!

I'm using release 03c I believe and while between maps, during the loading screen, sometimes it's all jumbled and a bunch of random color blocks show all over the place. But once the next area loads, it goes to the map just fine.

Hmmm.... That is going to be a tough "fix".

I don't have access to a iMac G5 right now to try and verify your problem. Then again, all of you are my testers. =)

I'm using release 03c I believe and while between maps, during the loading screen, sometimes it's all jumbled and a bunch of random color blocks show all over the place. But once the next area loads, it goes to the map just fine.

I don't think this is a mac specific bug, at least I've noticed the same thing with the Windows Client.

Okay, I was able to verify this. As far as I can tell, it is only happening on the 0.3c universal binary with PPC hardware. Although it is annoying, it is not a show stopper. I will take a look at the code or how I built the Tiger PPC version.

0ctane, remember my problem with the game freezing and a bunch of diagonal colored lines going across the screen? Well, I've had the same problem when I recently tried to play Shadowbane for the first time.

The reason why it's happening the tech support lady said is because Shadowbane only supports 10.4 and NOT any updates after that, i.e. 10.4.6

Do you think this may be the problem I'm having? Does the Mac port support anything higher than 10.4?

Thanks!

The reason why it's happening the tech support lady said is because Shadowbane only supports 10.4 and NOT any updates after that, i.e. 10.4.6
While I cannot be sure, that is one of the dumbest replies I have heard (from that company, not you). All the sub-releases are mostly bug fixes. It does not make sense to me.

IIRC, the Tiger PPC build of EL was built under 10.4.5...maybe .6 (I am not infront of that computer). I thought you were only having issues between maps loading.

While I cannot be sure, that is one of the dumbest replies I have heard (from that company, not you). All the sub-releases are mostly bug fixes. It does not make sense to me.

IIRC, the Tiger PPC build of EL was built under 10.4.5...maybe .6 (I am not infront of that computer). I thought you were only having issues between maps loading.

I thought I wasn't the only one that thought it weird! But I even asked her if it was ONLY 10.4 that worked and nothing after that. She just said that the development team no longer exists and there won't be any future updates.

As for my problem, I'm still having the same problem that I originally posted here on Apr 3. The freezing. Sometimes it's too unbearable and I stop playing for the day. I DON'T WANT TO STOP PLAYING FOR A DAY. lol :blush: But I know you said you had to get your lab up and running and you were going to get your hands on a PPC iMac soon. So no worries. I'm just waiting to see what you come out with next.

Using the Universal, most recent build, it seems that Terminal and EL are fighting over the cursor. Also, EL tends to grab it more than it needs to, for instance, while browsing the dock, the icons change.

Using the Universal, most recent build, it seems that Terminal and EL are fighting over the cursor. Also, EL tends to grab it more than it needs to, for instance, while browsing the dock, the icons change.

I see you came over to the darkside freeone3000. ;) Please include some hardware information and OS version with posts so I know whether to look at PPC or i386 code.

I am completely lost regarding your question/problem. I guess you are running EL and Terminal at the same time. Are you executing EL from the terminal (ie ~/el_osx.app/Contents/MacOS/el_osx) which is not recommended?

[edit] after in-game discussion I got a better handle on this. The terminal stuff is still odd, and I will need some other people to try running EL with the terminal open.

The Icon thing is known, but I don't really call it a bug. If EL is the active application, and you take the mouse off the bottom of the screen, the inventory/atttack/spell/... buttons will depress (but not activate). This is a SDL issue.

Edited by 0ctane

0ctane! Apparantly you and I are not idiots after all. :angry: I just found this today while searching for an error code:

http://www.apple.com/support/imac/repairextensionprogram/

It turns out that this specific group of iMac G5s are having my problem, so it has nothing to do with the game. I guess the game induced the computer to get messy, but it wasn't the games fault. I'm hopefully taking it in for repair but they want to keep it for a couple of days. Oh well.

If you have a first generation iMac G5 make sure to read the link above!!

Case closed.

I have been using the mac client for about a month and it has been very stable and reliable for me. I think I speak for many mac users when I say thank you, you saved me from being stuck in an Oberin nightmare. I do have a question though, how do I do screen prints on a mac. No one in game has beed able to help. Thanks again.

I have been using the mac client for about a month and it has been very stable and reliable for me. I think I speak for many mac users when I say thank you, you saved me from being stuck in an Oberin nightmare. I do have a question though, how do I do screen prints on a mac. No one in game has beed able to help. Thanks again.

Thanks for the kind words. I have not compiled in png_screenshot, partly because it would grow the size of the executable, partly because I am trying to fix other stuff. You can always do a regular screenshot with Apple-shift-3.

I did not know about Apple-shift-3, nice tip. :P I did just find a utility called Grab in apps/utilities that does screen captures, I never bothered to see what it does till now. But that's not why I called, I heard that the chat log is stored in a text file on the the pc. Is there an equivalent on the mac? thanks

But that's not why I called, I heard that the chat log is stored in a text file on the the pc. Is there an equivalent on the mac? thanks

Following linux conventions, all the configuration files are stored in ~/.elc/ including the chatlog chat_log.txt. You need to be familiar with the linux/unix filesystem structure and terminal commands to get to the .elc directory since Spotlight and the regular Find command apparently do not search hidden directories. One of my ToDo projects is to get this data into a more friendly, Apple Human Interface happy location. Until then, learn some linux. :)

You can just open terminal and type

cd ~/.elc/
open chat_log.txt 

The rest you have to learn on your own

edit: spelling

Edited by Atlantis

Just an update/notice on progress and some other stuff.

The sound routines are going through rewrites, so audio is still up in the air. Hopefully the new code by d00hg will be cleaner and allow me to fix our OSX specific problems. Actually, I did trace down the error of persistent rain sound, but no point in fixing code that someone else is overhauling.

A game update is soon approaching, and I should be able to quickly get an OSX client out to everyone (unless I am out of town). I have made the game modular using frameworks, so it will be a lot easier to distribute minor OSX updates/fixes between the major game updates. This means you will not have to download 33MB files everytime I fix something. :devlish:

Now, I want to (and so should everyone) thank the early OSX testers: Atlantis, Nibynool, jamincollins, and gizz. I am probably forgetting a few people, but these folks were brave enough to test the early client versions. Thanks to everyone who has helped track bugs.

Learner informed me of a OSX specific bug. The code problem, as it turns out, was powerpc related (I was not causing it since my MacBook is i386).

Edited by Learner