Eternal Lands Official Forums
0ctane

OS X client specific bugs and To Do

This thread is meant to address problems with my OS X port of the EL client. I will update this first post when new bugs are found or fixed. Please pay attention to the version. If you post a bug, be sure to mention your hardware and OS version. Do not post crash logs.

Version 1203b (PPC, Panther), 1203c (Universal, Tiger)

Current issues:

OpenGL context issues...

perspecitve view screws with textures on panther...LEAVE ON ISOMETRIC, Tiger is fine.

shadowmap has issues...DO NOT ACTIVATE

Shadows look funny...you are best leaving them turned off.

Sound from weather may follow when moving to new map. (fixed for i386 in next version)

PgUp,PgDn,End keys post characters when at respective extents.

Teleport nexus -> game seems to freeze (noticed in PL titanium mines)

I suspect this is due to teleporting into undefined/improper areas... other OS will re-TP you to get your character into an acceptable area...

Sometimes the game may start and then immediately stop. The AUTO_UPDATE feature may be responsible (needed to download a new data file). Try running the game again.

If game still does not start, you might have screwed the el.ini file due to above OpenGL issues.

Open a terminal and type "rm ~/.elc/el.ini"

Crash: I have had the game freeze the computer once a month (although the mouse still moves). Unfortunately, this is very difficult to track since nothing gets printed to the logs. Hard-reboot required. I am looking into memory allocation.

To Do:

Expand Mac menus (about... quit, ...)

Since the game is built on SDL, this may not be possible. I am researching it.

Copy/paste

shadows still (work on the i386 version, but not PPC)

Music (in next version)

Edited by 0ctane

in case it helps, http://developer.apple.com/qa/nw/nw60.html (I did the windows API version for EL a while back)
While the content of that weblink was a little outdated (pre-OS X), it gave me a good idea. I think I will have something availble in the near future. Thx ttlanhil.

[edit] Yup, got it to work. So the next version that I post will have working default web-browser (likely Saffari) support. :P

Edited by 0ctane

Found a minor problem with the latest build. While sound works, which is terrific, the sound of rain doesn't seem to ever stop. I zoned into Portland from Morcraven Marsh to find it raining and was pleasently surprised to hear it. However, after zoning from Portland to Desert Pines (where it was not raining) the rain continued. In fact it's still going now while I stand in VotD even though there too it is not raining.

A few additional items, all of these are on an 14" iBook G4:

- PgDn at the bottom of console mode inserts minus/hyphen characters

- End (in or out of console mode) inserts plus characters

- PgUp at the top of console mode inserts comma characters

Edited by jamincollins

Found a minor problem with the latest build. While sound works, which is terrific, the sound of rain doesn't seem to ever stop. I zoned into Portland from Morcraven Marsh to find it raining and was pleasently surprised to hear it. However, after zoning from Portland to Desert Pines (where it was not raining) the rain continued. In fact it's still going now while I stand in VotD even though there too it is not raining.

Drat. And I was so excited to have rain and sound working. I am usually playing with volume muted (since this is all on a work machine). Eventually I hope to have the NEW_WEATHER working, so I do not know if I will address this issue.
A few additional items, all of these are on an 14" iBook G4:

- PgDn at the bottom of console mode inserts minus/hyphen characters

- End (in or out of console mode) inserts plus characters

- PgUp at the top of console mode inserts comma characters

Those +,- appear on my system too. If there is a strong feeling that these are deal-breakers, then I will address it. I am more concerned with getting copy/paste working right now. I will add these to the top list.

Not "bugs" per-say, but I noticed that the combat damage and experience indicators are completely different on the Mac client than they are under Linux. For the combat damage, it's just a big red number in the creature or character's chest. For the experience, there doesn't seem to be any indication near the character, I have to check the progress bars to see that harvesting experience is being earned.

Is this a limitation with the mac client or due to some video limitation?

Not "bugs" per-say, but I noticed that the combat damage and experience indicators are completely different on the Mac client than they are under Linux. For the combat damage, it's just a big red number in the creature or character's chest. For the experience, there doesn't seem to be any indication near the character, I have to check the progress bars to see that harvesting experience is being earned.

I'm not experiencing anything like this. It all seems to work as per the windows version for me. What specs are your Mac?

Not a mac limitation. Did you accidentally turn off "Float messages" in the advanced video tab?

Not a mac limitation. Did you accidentally turn off "Float messages" in the advanced video tab?

Hmmm, don't recall having changed the settings in there, but that was indeed it... :confused: Sorry for the mistake.

Just grabbed the new version (1201a) and while it appears to play fine on the current server, the graphics appear to be off. Specifically the weapons and shields appear to be shifted.

Just grabbed the new version (1201a) and while it appears to play fine on the current server, the graphics appear to be off. Specifically the weapons and shields appear to be shifted.

Yes, I have noticed my pickaxe to have the texture mapped incorrectly. More to do....

In relation to the current release (1.2.0 p1), I haven't found any unexpected bugs. I did accidently click on some of the text caused by the "text bleed issue" and promptly disconnected from the server, but this is my own fault for not being able to use a mouse :D

Apart from that this is the most stable and most reliable release of the Mac cleint so far. I'll be sure to post if I discover any bugs :D

I love the text bleed issue, it allows for a quick save and back in less than a second :D

I love the text bleed issue, it allows for a quick save and back in less than a second :hehe:

Well, I hate to disappoint you, but I just found and fixed that problem. I will be putting it into a later release with (hopefully) other fixes.

Well, since I cannot test out any other fixes right now due to the server being down, I have posted the latest client with the NPC chat problem fixed. 1202a Enjoy....

Guest sillek

Currently the game crashes on launch..

The long story:

It was working fine [despite a crash when I tried to switch to dwarf in the character selection screen]. I was playing the game, having fun doing the Tutorial NPCs harvesting quest. I stopped near the docks for a moment to read some of the in-game help manuals. Key controls, commands, etc..

Then, it said somebody booted me [started with an S..] and to press alt+x, which I did. Ever since then, the game crashes on launch.

I've deleted the game several times, including using rm to remove the ini file in root. The same thing still happens.

I can post or send you the crash log [i didn't post it because it's quite long and didn't want to spam the thread].

Running on :

OS 10.4.5

15" FP iMac G4, 800MHz

nVidia Ge Force 2 MX, 32mb

512MB RAM

Any ideas ?

Hmmm... that sounds strange. I do not know about that boot thing. A MOD might have killed your character. You can send a PM to me with the crashlog. You can also try (my first attempt at) the universal binary package that I am uploading. It should be available now. Also, send me the chat log message (if you still have it) of your character boot.

Looks like a el.ini problem. Crash showed glMatrixMode being at fault. As mentioned above and on my website, you need to remove el.ini.

Edited by 0ctane

Hello all. I'm running OSX 10.4.5 like Sillek here and my game randomly freezes my Mac every hour or so. Sometimes 2 or 3 times in a few minutes. This is very annoying because I have to reboot my whole computer and wait to load it up to play again. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hello all. I'm running OSX 10.4.5 like Sillek here and my game randomly freezes my Mac every hour or so. Sometimes 2 or 3 times in a few minutes. This is very annoying because I have to reboot my whole computer and wait to load it up to play again. Any ideas?
Please provide hardware information and what version of the port too. I am sorry that the game is crashing. The OS X port is still in development. As I do not have ready access to a PPC mac, it is getting difficult to find and squash bugs... especially when they are so specific. :o Look in your computer's crash logs to see if there is anything probative.

Warning, the current Universal Binary might not behave as well on PPCs as older, PPC specific versions. This is a super-test version.

Edited by 0ctane

" Please provide hardware information and what version of the port too."

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: iMac G5

Machine Model: PowerMac8,1

CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)

Number Of CPUs: 1

CPU Speed: 1.8 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB

Memory: 1.25 GB

Bus Speed: 600 MHz

Boot ROM Version: 5.2.2f4

I believe the port you are referring to is:

Version 1.2.0 beta, Mac OS X version .2a(pre-10.4), .3a(>10.4)

As for my crash log, I have no clue what to look for. So I'll post it all here:

Host Name: Woody-Computer

Date/Time: 2006-03-28 21:00:47.135 -0800

OS Version: 10.4.5 (Build 8H14)

Report Version: 4

Command: el_osx

Path: /Applications/el_osx.app/Contents/MacOS/el_osx

Parent: WindowServer [77]

Version: 1.2.0 (0.2a)

PID: 3750

Thread: 0

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)

Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000000

Thread 0 Crashed:

0 el_osx 0x0004b0f4 draw_lights + 264 (crt.c:300)

1 el_osx 0x00039720 display_game_handler + 660 (crt.c:300)

2 el_osx 0x0002ebd0 draw_window + 360 (crt.c:300)

3 el_osx 0x0002f14c display_window + 136 (crt.c:300)

4 el_osx 0x0002ce00 display_windows + 148 (crt.c:300)

5 el_osx 0x00027dac draw_scene + 408 (crt.c:300)

Edited by Tantu

Host Name: Woody-Computer

Date/Time: 2006-03-28 21:00:47.135 -0800

OS Version: 10.4.5 (Build 8H14)

Report Version: 4

Command: el_osx

Path: /Applications/el_osx.app/Contents/MacOS/el_osx

Parent: WindowServer [77]

Version: 1.2.0 (0.2a)

PID: 3750

Thread: 0

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)

Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000000

Thread 0 Crashed:

0 el_osx 0x0004b0f4 draw_lights + 264 (crt.c:300)

1 el_osx 0x00039720 display_game_handler + 660 (crt.c:300)

2 el_osx 0x0002ebd0 draw_window + 360 (crt.c:300)

3 el_osx 0x0002f14c display_window + 136 (crt.c:300)

4 el_osx 0x0002ce00 display_windows + 148 (crt.c:300)

5 el_osx 0x00027dac draw_scene + 408 (crt.c:300)

6 el_osx 0x0004da00 start_rendering + 348 (crt.c:300)

7 el_osx 0x0004dca0 SDL_main + 68 (crt.c:300)

This is all I need (for everyone's future reference) if you post or send a crash log. Just a trace up to SDL calls. The EL version is on the Version line, followed by my mac port version number, 0.2a in this case. Hmmm... draw_lights caused a problem. Honestly, I have no idea right now. I might have access to a G5 iMac with 10.4 in a few days to try running it there. Until then... :D

I noticed a PPC problem with my Universal Binary, so that should not be used by PPC people yet.

Edited by 0ctane

Sounds good. Also to note, even more frustrating than the computer freezing is my problem logging back onto my computer. My login screen has problems coming up after these crashes and sometimes I have to reset my computer 7 or 8 times before it works. Good luck to you. :-)

Guest sillek

Thank you for your help. I've gotten my version up and running, and am crash free so far. Although, it seems my character got deleted [along with my items!], so I had to start over.

As for your "Universal" version, it doesn't even launch. You may want to call it Intel only until you test it on PPC. Or atleast add the new features into the PPC version so we don't get stuck behind somehow. [if there are any new features in it ?]

Anyway, thanks again. Now I just have to quash my Windows friend's massive crashing.

Oh..one more thing. Any way you can add in application switching support ? [Command Tab]. It's somewhat annoying to have to switch out of full screen [and wait for it to re-load] to see if my friend crashed and sent me an AIM message.

Thank you for your help. I've gotten my version up and running, and am crash free so far. Although, it seems my character got deleted [along with my items!], so I had to start over.

As for your "Universal" version, it doesn't even launch...

Oh..one more thing. Any way you can add in application switching support ?

Good to hear. That "boot" you talked about sounded like you upset a moderator pretty bad, but who is to say.

Yeah, I mentioned it somewhere else, but there is a PPC bug in the pseudo-universal version, and already changed the website to reflect the i386-only nature of that version.

I had not thought about application switching. Hmmm.... Well, it will go on the to-do list. I honestly never play at full screen. I want to get the >1024x768 resolutions working first for Macs.

Thanks for everyones' patience on all of this.