Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sparhawk

Canadian election

Well after many of canadians went to the polls it would appear we have a new prime minister. Mr. Stephen harper. And the first conservitive win that i can remeber.

And here he is....

images8nb.jpg

Edited by sparhawk

Not that I pay attention to Canadian politics (I'm American, what do I care :D lol jk, probably should ^_^;;; ), but why does Stepen Harper sound familiar? I know I've seen his name somewhere. What does he promise to do?

Some of his topics...

>Increase armed forces in cities( Ie: for events like 911)

> Cutting of GST( very bad idea, and he'll just take the money out of other area, like schools)

> He wants to cut prices on objects like hockey equipment

>He agrees with many of george bushes ideals

> He supports the war in Iraq and agrees with national defense issues

>He wants to ban gay marriages

Those are some of his plans for the future. You might have seen his ads or the liberal ones featuring him. Also he has made his agrements for George bush time and time again to the anoyance of Paul Martin.

Great, now the Land of the Free is a whole god damn continent.

....or perhaps just disappeared?

Harper has not been given an open mandate for change...he will have to do a lot of fence sitting

Edited by anthropologist

Well, it's not really that dramatic. Harper's party only hold's like 120 of a total of 300 something seats of the government. They still have to convince three other parties to pass their legislation. I love parliamentary democracy :evilgrin:

Great, now the Land of the Free is a whole god damn continent.

Because he has such a bare minority in parliament, he can't pass conservative agendas. In fact, since Harper's in about the same position Martin was in, nothing will really change; they'll still end up having to pass the same kind of bills. Got to love having 4 parties instead of two. :omg:

And THEN, there's the senate, which, after 12+ years of Liberal rule, is mainly stacked toward the liberal side; thus, any legislation which would be stupid may pass the house of commons, and be struck down there. (As happens occassionally).

BTW, about the GST thing - since that's a money bill, if Harper tried anything stupid there, either 1- his government would fall (money bill = vote of confidence). People would be pissed, but would see the Conservatives had been stupid, and probably reelect a new liberal minority. Or, 2- it could be defeated in the senate, which Harper cannot hope to control yet.

On another side note - The Conservatives originally gave us the GST. ;) In fact, they had to stack the senate with 8 interim members (as is allowed, if the Crown should agree) to pass it. Strange how they're now taking it back.

Edited by crusadingknight

On another side note - The Conservatives originally gave us the GST. :P In fact, they had to stack the senate with 8 interim members (as is allowed, if the Crown should agree) to pass it. Strange how they're now taking it back.

Sounds like the difference between liberal and conservative stupidity:

Liberal - never admit the stupid idea failed, unless you can blame it on the other side. Make up 100 other incredibly stupid ideas and pass them to make the existing stupid idea "work".

Conservative - admit the stupid idea failed, but don't admit it was your stupid idea, or that the idea was stupid. Try to remove it or cover it up with as little fallout as possible. Or, if you aren't ready to admit it failed, make it look pretty.

EDIT: forgot something. :D

Edited by Arnieman