Eternal Lands Official Forums
Roja

Separating EXP gain from Item creation

This is an idea that Trollson brought up. Currently, to level up you need to make items. This results in a LOT of items being made, too many than is ever needed, flooding the market.

What if we separate "leveling up" from "making items"? You'd only make items because you need them, or to make money by selling or trading them.

If you want to level up and gain exp, you would instead not create an item, but train, at a special workshop area in the game(like that forge area in votd).

There can be a NPC there, and you go to him to train. Maybe he says something like, "I will train you in iron sword making. To become good enough to do it yourself(thus creating an item), you need to practice!" He will give you the ingredients to make X amount of that item. You cannot leave the area with those items though(so you can't just get free ingredients)..maybe when you walk out they will dissapear, or you'll get a message or something. So that way, you can lvl up as much as you want, without flooding the market with items.

If you want to make an item yourself, just do it as you do now, but you wouldn't get exp.

What do you guys think? Suggestions/comments/ideas needed.

I really like this idea; but I have to say leveling shouldn'tbe free; we should have to pay a fee to train at the npc. currently almost all skills have some cost to level, so making it free to train is bad. We should have to pay to the material, at a reduce cost like 1/2 normal, and we don't get to keep the item but get more xp since we are being trained

Edited by Tuver

i think this is a good idea but if this happens everyone will be able to make their own items making items on the market channel useless to them, there should be a limit set ont he amount that people can make like harving limits an hour

another idea on keeping levels from going up too high is making people buy the items and not be able to keep them

Edited by guysmith

This is a very good idea i have seen this work well in other games too, I do wonder though about do you need to pay at all for training your skill? What food would be used and i think we should keep a certain amount of exp for making items like say making health essence might give you 10exp normally and in the workshop give you the standard 70exp

Great work though

Edited by oromis

What if we separate "leveling up" from "making items"? You'd only make items because you need them, or to make money by selling or trading them.

If you want to level up and gain exp, you would instead not create an item, but train, at a special workshop area in the game(like that forge area in votd).

I think it is a very, very good idea. One of the best I've seen here :)

But please make sure there is enough number of places to train and/or they are large enough not to be overcrowded.

Regards

Chryzopraz

Sounds brilliant!!!

but will you make the items dissapear also that you make?

I like the idea of the free stuff that dissapears once you leave the area but I think those certain areas will be ....vastly overpopulated in some cases as for no xp while making an actual item thats cool but maybe a bonus bit of xp if you make a modable or something? making articifier worth soooooo much more

Just my 2 cents keep up the great work

I partially agree. However, why shouldn't we get XP when really making items? After all, making items is also practising on making them.

There can be a NPC there, and you go to him to train. Maybe he says something like, "I will train you in iron sword making. To become good enough to do it yourself(thus creating an item), you need to practice!" He will give you the ingredients to make X amount of that item. You cannot leave the area with those items though(so you can't just get free ingredients)..maybe when you walk out they will dissapear, or you'll get a message or something. So that way, you can lvl up as much as you want, without flooding the market with items.

If you want to make an item yourself, just do it as you do now, but you wouldn't get exp.

What do you guys think? Suggestions/comments/ideas needed.

I think people should still get experience for making items, after all they will learn something when doing it on their own. However, in these special areas they should get some sort of experience bonus since they are under the guidance instruction of someone else. I also like the idea of not being able to take the items out of this area. So, the individual must choose between normal XP and getting the item or increased XP and no item. I also don't think they should be given free ingredients, the increase in XP would be sufficient in my opinion.

My opinion is this is a bad idea, it would totally demoralize me to get just no experience at all for creating the resources i need to fight, alchemy, etc..

Also everyone would lvl too fast if you can just get the ingredients handed to you for nothing. For example: I could probably gain in on lochnesslobster fast in manufacturing if i can get all my ingredients given to me by an NPC. I could just keep asking stuff for serpent swords for hours and keep making them getting 1 manu level per hour maybe when i start out.

One concern that I have with this idea is that the area around the npc and the training area itself would become very crowded. This could be solved by having more than one training area for each skill.

Would you still be able to get exp for items you create outside the training areas? Could you bring items into the training area and then leave with the final product?

I like this idea. :)

I don't think the market is really flooded that much, and it seems fine the way it is. With more stuff to make/new items, everything should be fine the way it is.

Edited by Painful

Well, here's the idea.

1- You'd go into the blacksmith area, talk to the NPC and say you'd like to train.

2- He'd give you an equal ammount of ingredients for the item you will be making, according to your load capacity.

3- He'd give you the ingredients of the specific item, according to your skill level (e.g. 0-15 Manufacture = Leather Pants, 16-30 Manufacture = Steel Shield)

4- He'd also give you the required tools as well.

5- Once you make that item, it'd give you the exp, but the item would disappear.

6- If you go outside of the area, you'd lose the ingredients. You'd also get a message saying you've left the blacksmith area and lost the ingredients, or something..

7- Once you've finished the ingredients, you'd talk to the npc again to get some more.

8- Of course, there'd be a limit for training, just like the harvesting limit.

9- I'm thinking you wouldn't lose your food level, as you would need a LOT of feasting potions.

10- Nexuses would be ignore, as the item you'd be creating would be according to your skill level.

Well, this is what I understood.

You'd just keep making the item until either you're bored, or your limit has expired.

Over all, I like the idea. It would be great if it were to be implemented.

Hope it makes things more clear.

- SisteMa`

Edited by sisteMa`

One potential problem is that this would eliminate risk during leveling. If someone is borderline able to create high-level weapons/armor, there is the risk (and cost) associated with failing. If there were a limit to the items which could be tried (i.e. perhaps leather items only, or simply nothing using enriched essences), I'd imagine the idea could work.

Edit: SisteMa types faster than I (redundant idea removed).

Edited by asgnny

i dislike this idea one because alot of ppl make items to use them but they want to get exp also...

and just making items would be odd because you its good that you need a required level for making items...

but it could workout well

you can use most of the items you make to lvl up..

people would make less items to sell on market cause they don't get exp, so people who buy for example Spirit restoration pots would have to make the pots themselves then.

i think the idea is bad, it would ruin the market more then it helps