Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Shouja

Tales from Ten Taverns

Okay, here's the beginning of a new project. I have no idea how far I can take this, and it's really meant as more of entertainment than real writing for the main story, so I don't mind if it's not included in. I just thought a little soap opera fluff would be fun now and then. Posting will be a little irregular though, and it'll probably take a while to get into the different subplots running around, but I hope you find it interesting nevertheless. Enjoy!

~Shouja~

Tales from Ten Taverns

Dear Reca,

How are you, girlie? Do you like the place where I sent you? Tell me more about what life on Isla Prima is like. I heard that there's been more of those dead people coming back to life there than anywhere else. Is it true, or has Maria's gossip network got it wrong again? I paid a visit to her the other day during the Good Will Festival, and she seems to be fine. As busy and chatty as ever, and full of the latest news on White Stone City high society. I swear, that girl has got too much time on her hands, and is far too interested in gossip for her own good. Her big mouth is going to get her into trouble someday.

Anyway, I wrote to you because I'm trying to organise a get-together of all the girls in your bunch. I hear from some of you now and then, but far too little. Since you all left, the town has become a much quieter place. I almost miss those old days, when I had the whole lot of you laughing around and spilling drinks on the customers when you should be working hard. Do write back to me and let me know when you might be free to come and visit this old dwarf.

With love,

Oana

Dear Mother Oana,

How are you? I have to confess I was too lazy to write before, but you will forgive me, won't you, dear old mother? You always did, no matter how bad a mess we made. After reading your letter, I got nostalgic too. I miss those times as well. The only one from our group that I've kept in touch with is Diana, because she lives fairly close by. The rest I haven't seen or heard from since we all set off together. I'm looking forward to a reunion! This month will be fairly busy for me, since I'm training a new assistant barmaid to help me with the business, but I should be able to take a week off next month or so. Just let me know when it would be a convenient time to visit, and I'll hop over to the old city as soon as I get word.

Life here in Isla Prima has been very exciting recently. Yes, it seems like more and more people are rising from the grave here, and I've had a chance to talk to some of them when they drop by the tavern for drinks. I've even learned some new mixes. Did you know that if you mix hartspur and mint into the usual evermead, you can produce a drink that gives you both fiery and cold feelings at the same time? One of the elves that had died a century ago at Tirnym showed me how to mix it. It sends shivers down my spine each time I drink it. You must try it! I'll mix one for you when I come down to see you again.

Lord Luxin has sent an elven guide down from Tirnwood to help the Eternals (that's what they're calling them now, mother - does it sound strange to you? But maybe that's because I'm a human, so living forever still seems unbelievable to me). Her name is Lasud, and she's been teaching me a lot about the continent. I never knew such interesting things existed in our world until she told me about them. Lasud is amazingly knowledgeable. I've been meaning to introduce her to Diana one day. I think they would get on very well together.

Have you heard from Diana yet? My last letter from her says that she was doing fine. She's been seeing a lot of one of those sea captains recently - the ones that travel to Irilion. She hasn't said anything yet, but I'm beginning to suspect that there might be more than meets the eye there. He's quite a handsome fellow – very dashing, like those old pictures about pirates you used to show us when we were young. I've met him once or twice, when he came to deliver Diana's letters to me. Maybe you could talk to her about it. I'm sure she'd be willing to tell you more.

Anyway, this is all I can write for now. I hope you're still safe and well. I'll try and write to some of the others as well, to try and catch up on what they've been doing. See you next month, Mother!

With love,

Reca

Edited by Shouja

I could just see this sorta thing in the messengers HQ (ie: post office nowadays)... where they make copies of all letters for possible... err... archival and research purposes? :)

Thanks. :blink: I really have no idea where I'm going with this plot bunny... it's just taking me all over the place. This is actually more of an exercise in characterization than anything else. Dedicated to Louisa May Alcott and L.M. Montgomery, two of my favourite authoresses.

~Shouja~

Dear Elena,

Have you heard from Mother Oana recently? Diana just forwarded a letter from Reca to me telling me about how we’re trying to organise a get-together of all the girls from the old days next month. Are you going to go as well? I’m trying my best to be able to make it. I miss you all so much. Life here in Grahms Village is deadly dull. Without your letters, and those from the other girls, I think I would die of boredom.

How I miss those times where we all lived together under Mother Oana’s roof. I still try to put her lessons into practice, but I think farmers are a different breed from dwarven miners. I just can’t get them interested in drinking enough. And they’re all sober, married men, who wouldn’t even think of looking at another woman besides their wives. And their sons are too young for me. No matter how attractive I am, they can’t see me as anything other than “the woman that runs the bed and breakfast.” I don’t think I’ll ever be able to find a husband.

You’re lucky, living in the big city. I’m sure there must be lots of suitors asking for your hand. I’ve heard from Maria. She sounds like she’s enjoying herself, flirting around. I’ve heard she’s already had five proposals, but she’s holding out for someone with a grander title than Baron. What’s grander than Baron? I’m just a country girl, so I don’t know much about noble titles. We don’t even have a leader here – just a bunch of farmers who get together every now and then to talk about their plans for the future. It’s dreadfully dull. Do write and tell me more about your life in the city.

Your best friend,

Corina

Edited by Shouja

Aaand... here is where it starts to resemble a soap opera. :)

~Shouja~

Dear Corina,

It's good to hear from you. Well, to answer your question first, Baron is the lowest title of nobility. Above that, there's Earl, then Count, then Lord, Duke and King. But we don't have a King or any Dukes since King Vermor died, so Lord Luxin is the highest-titled noble in White Stone. Maria dropped by the other day to pass me the news about Mother Oana calling a reunion, but I'm not sure if I should go. I'll tell you the reason why a little later. I've been afraid of meeting Maria recently, since she's got a nose like a feran for scandal.

Life here in White Stone City has been pretty good. You'll have to get most of your gossip from Maria, I'm afraid. I've been trying to keep a low profile recently, just serving the common folk and avoiding the nobility. There are a lot of visitors going in and out of the city, since it is the capital, after all. We've had a few delegations from Irilion coming through. They are very different. They dress differently, and their humans seem to be uncomfortable around some of the people here. I think they're not used to seeing other races other than humans. It's very puzzling. Maybe Diana can tell you more about it, if you write to her. She was always the one interested in faraway lands, remember?

Now, let me tell you about my own little secret. But you're the only one I trust with this, so please keep it secret from everyone else - especially Maria. I shudder to think what would happen if she gets wind of this. I think you're lucky, to live in such a quiet community like Grahms. I wish I could come out and visit you more often. And you'll see why soon.

I think I'm pregnant.

It wasn't supposed to happen this way. Apparently the medicine that Mira, my apothecary, sold me was badly-mixed. But the thing is, he's a married man. And he's a member of the nobility too. In fact, he's the highest-placed member of the nobility, if you understand my meaning. What do I do? I never thought that he would take an interest in me like that. In fact, I didn't even know it was him, until he told me so himself, and I went to see him make an announcement in the plaza. We've been seeing each other for about five months now.

What should I do, Corina?

I love him, and yet I don't want to ruin his marriage. His wife is a highly-placed noble lady, and it would completely ruin his reputation if he was ever found out. And now, the lands need him even more than ever, with this new continent being discovered, and the curse problem. I know the best thing to do would be just to disappear, and run away to someplace where I won't be a bother to him or anyone else, but I don't know where to go. And he says he loves me too much to ever separate. He wants me to stay with him in the castle. When I hear that, it's as if all my willpower and resolve just crumbles, and I can't run. But I need to. I can't allow him to ruin himself like this. Not when all of us need him so much.

Can I come and stay with you for a while, if this is ever found out? I need to prepare a safe place to hide, just in case.

Now do you see why I'm so afraid of the reunion? I don't dare to go. I'm too ashamed to face Mother Oana and confess to her what I've done. You know how none of us could ever fool her, since the early days when she raised us up. I'm sure she'll spot it on my face the moment I enter the door. I deliberately closed up during the Good Will Festival to avoid seeing her when she told me she was coming to visit.

What shall I do? What do you think would be the best thing to do, Corina?

Anxiously,

Elena

Edited by Shouja

Darling Laura,

I haven't seen you in ages! How have you been? Still enjoying your wheeling and dealing? I wonder if you've managed to find yourself a rich husband yet? I heard from Councilman Myers the other night that your Wooden Corner has become very popular recently as a place for all the elites of Portland to hobnob. My dear, I'm so glad for you! I've been trying to do the same with my Happy Spirits, but I'm afraid I'm not quite there yet. You have to tell me - what was your secret?

My last big function was Baron Wilde's fortieth birthday party. Of course, the Baron was simply oozing with charm. He was the brave man who led the expedition to Irilion, did you know? Of course you must have - the sailors came from Portland, didn't they? Anyway, I was all set playing the charming, flirtatious hostess, and the dear old man actually proposed to me as well, in the middle of the celebration. What could I do?

I turned him down, of course. Much as I like the old geezer, he's just a little over my acceptable age limit. And I think he was a little tipsy. But it certainly was an honour. I'd bet at least twenty of the guests took greater notice of me after that. My social status is rising, darling! I won't be a mere tavern girl for much longer. Someday, you'll know me as Countess Maria!

Speaking of tavern girls, Mother Oana has invited all of us to go back to Nordcarn for a reunion of sorts. Do try your best to make it, and don't count the cost of travelling this time. Won't it be fun, to see all of us girls back together again, in that old tavern? We'll get to see how everyone is doing. I'm afraid I've completely lost touch with some of them after we separated. The only ones I still write to are Corina, Diana, you and Mother Oana. And Elena's just up the street, of course. I paid a visit to her the other day, but she seemed to be rather preoccupied recently. Poor girl, she always was a shy one. I tried encouraging her to host a few parties herself, but she seems content to be a social nobody in this city.

Anyway, ta-ta for now! I'm off to make preparations for another party tonight. I'll send you more juicy gossip in my next letter.

Your graceful sister,

Maria

Edited by Shouja

These are the kind of stories I really like to see in the game. These letters could be found in the taverns where these girsl work.

Again: Good job!

Aw, shucks. Thanks. :icon13: Here comes the modern-day strong-minded businesswoman, Laura! :icon13:

~Shouja~

Dear Maria,

Yes, I received word from Mother Oana about the reunion. Roua also mentioned it to me in her last letter. She and Rodica are the only ones whom I really keep in touch with, besides you and Mother. I know Corina's in Grahm's Village somewhere - Rodica mentioned it to me some time ago - but I have no idea what's been happening to all the other girls. How is Diana doing? And has anyone heard from Reca at all? Neither Roua nor Rodica have the slightest idea what she's been up to. Perhaps I'll have a chance to see her at the reunion. I'll have to reorganise my schedule a bit, and hand things over to one of my assistant bartenders, but I'm sure I should be able to make it.

As for the question of husbands, I've finally decided not to get married at all, but go into business for myself. Maybe the high society of White Stone are composed of a different breed of people, but Portland is run by self-important hagglers and traders with overinflated opinions of their role in "sustaining the economic welfare of the city." I've received so many "inside tips" from just keeping my ears open when I'm serving tables that I really do believe I would dump a platter of drinks on the next person who suggests they can give me "a sure-fire win"in exchange for "a bedside favour".

Nevertheless, those egotistical men have one good thing - they're all paranoid about secrecy and making sure that the competition haven't got a whiff of what they're planning. I've managed to make use of that by ensuring complete confidentiality and arranging my tavern in such a way that no one can hear what's being said at another table. You might want to try that - though I doubt it would work in your case, since high-society types want to be seen and heard.

In any case, Rodica and I have been talking, and she thinks she's got a plan that would greatly profit all of us tavern sisters. You know she's running a tavern at the Morcraven Marshes? Well, she's become good friends of the winery owners there, and she thinks she can get a discount from them if she buys in bulk. She was suggesting we pass our entire orders for wine to her, and then she'll order and ship them out to us according to how much we need. I've done the calculations, and I think we'll save about 15% of our costs if we do it by that method. Do you want a piece of this? We can talk more about it at the reunion.

See you soon,

Laura

Edited by Shouja

Yeah, it's my first time telling a story in this kind of scattered form, but it does seem like it's going quite well, doesn't it? Unfortunately, I don't know how long I can keep this up, because I'm rapidly running out of steam, and I've got several other more important writing commitments that are taking up my time. I've still got Roua, Valeria and Rodica to go, but I'm not sure if I've got time or energy to finish them. I wish I had more writing stamina. :(

~Shouja~

Dear Mother Oana,

I'll be writing to the other girls as well, but I had to write to you first. I'm officially betrothed! I'm sure Reca must have told you her suspicions already - Jim said she was questioning him about our relationship the last time they met - but I'm writing this letter to confirm it. He proposed to me last night, under the moon, on the deck of his ship. It was so romantic! I'™m so happy, I'm overflowing with joy. Being in love is such a wonderful thing, Mother! I can't imagine how you managed to turn down that suitor of yours all those years ago, when we were still living with you. Why did you do such a thing? I know you loved him too - Maria and I crept into your room once and heard you crying yourself to sleep over him. I can't imagine doing that to Jim.

I haven't really told you about him yet, have I? Well, let me correct that fault now. His name is James Sanders, captain of the good ship Glysse Wave, which travels to Irilion and back once a month. He's only two years older than I am, so he's quite young, but all of his crew and the other captains respect him. He worked his way up in the Portland Navy, and won a medal for gallantry when he took over command of his ship after his captain and first mate was killed in a battle against the pirates (he was second mate then). He was also the second mate onboard the Ocean Strider, the first ship that sailed to Irilion. He's a good man, Mother. I think you'll approve of him. I'm going to bring him to the reunion to introduce him to you all.

Speaking of the reunion, word is getting around. I know that Reca and Corina are planning to go, and I just received a letter from Maria saying that's she trying her best to excuse herself from some of her high-society parties so that she can make it too. That's really something, for someone like her. (She was also telling me about how she turned down all her suitors... I can't wait to spring this surprise on her!) Jim's bound for Corren and Mynadar after this, so he's going to bring my letters to Roua and Valeria. I suppose I'll be hearing from them soon too.

That's all I have to tell you for now, Mother. I've got a lot of letters to write, so I can't write more for now, but I really want to get together and talk with you soon. I'm so happy. I can't wait to see you all next month.

With much (overflowing!) love,

Diana

P.S. Jim says he's looking forward to meeting you too. You'll love him, Mother.

P.P.S. What will Maria say about this, I wonder?

Edited by Shouja

My dear Diana,

I'm very very proud and happy for you, my girl. From what you've told me, this Captain Sanders of yours sounds like a precious gem. A sailor's wife, eh? And a decorated hero too. Well, you always did have a hankering to go off on wild adventures. You and Rodica both were the wildest of the bunch. I guess you'll get your wish soon. I always thought that Corina would be the first to get married, but you've done me proud. I'll be glad to meet him when you bring him along.

I didn't know that you and Maria knew about what happened between Grim and me. I should have guessed though. But no matter, child. It's all over now. Yes, we had fallen in love, but it was a shallow love. He was willing to take me, but he didn't want to have to take care of you all too, and I wasn't about to abandon my little girls to the orphanage again. I found you all, and by Glilin, I was going to raise you to become women that I would be proud of! I told him straight, "Grim, I won't have anyone for a husband that won't love my daughters as if they were his own." And he left. Last I heard, he was wandering around in the desert somewhere, going into the storage business, but I haven't heard from him in years.

But now you've done well, my girl. The first to be betrothed! I'm getting myself all excited to see him. Only three more weeks to go. Come back home, dear, and bring your mannie.

Your loving mother,

Oana

Edited by Shouja

I aplouse! :) I Think this is VERY good story line would be great to have it in game(I smell a quest :D )

Would make for a nice quest story line if ever made one actually peaks your intrestest instead of that

feeling of oh i just wish i could get this over with so i can get my reward feeling that most people get when they do quest's so far Keep em coming i love it! I wouldnt know how you could revert the story to a quest but still EL staff N the officals of el have yet to fail in doing things i didnt think could be done .

Mids rating system for ideas: :D & :icon4: are like stars down for neg stars up for postive stars 5 is max of either

i give this rating a

:icon13::icon13::icon13::icon13::icon13:

-Mid

Edited by midevilconevi17

Just took a break from some of my other writing projects.

Is it okay if I finish this series, or should I go by the new rules and post a story of my character first, wait for approval, etc.?

~Shouja~

Well then, let's continue. :D This experiment is turning out to be quite interesting. Essentially, I'm trying to role-play ten characters at once, and trying to see how they would all interact. It's a plotless, character-driven tale. I've got some vague ideas of dividing it into three parts: Pre-Reunion Letters, Reunion Stories, and then Post-Reunion Letters. But the latter two parts aren't written yet, so I'm not sure how far I'd be able to take it.

For now, let me just complete the Pre-Reunion Letters.

Dearest Valeria,

I hope this letter finds you well and happy, dear. I’ve been meaning to write to you for quite some time now, but haven’t managed to until today. You’ve heard about the reunion at Mother Oana’s, haven’t you? Will you go, Val? Please, don’t let old grudges keep you away. It’s time to bury the hatchet. Elandria instructs us to love and forgive each other. For old times’ sake, will you come with us? I’ll be there too, so if you feel too uncomfortable, you can always talk with me and calm down. Don’t miss this chance. It’s been too long since we’ve seen some of our sisters, and I’m really looking forward to being one big family again – even if it’s just for a day.

Speaking of family, what do you think of Diana’s new fiancé? I was surprised when he brought me Diana’s letter along with the news of their engagement, but very happy for her. He seems like a nice, Goddess-fearing man. I had a talk with him one night about his religious beliefs, and while he’s more devoted to Lucaa – naturally, being a sailor – he shows proper respect for all the other deities as well. I do hope they’ll invite me to help perform the wedding ceremony for them.

Life in Corren has been very sweet to me, praise Aluwen. I really think I’m doing a great service to the local people here – the miners often bring their families out to my Merry Soul to eat dinner together, and we have a good time laughing and playing music. Really, it seems more like a community centre sometimes than a tavern. I can never understand why Rodica must insist on serving hard liquor to her customers. I find more people are happy when they don’t have drunkards walking around town, and their children are safe in my tavern. How about you? We both serve mining towns, but I can still remember how the dwarves in Nordcarn can hold their drink. How are the people of Mynadar like?

Do write back to me and tell me the news of what’s happening over there. Captain Jim should be bringing this letter to you as well as Diana’s one, so you should have the chance to meet him. Tell me what you think of him as well.

Goddess Blessings,

Roua

Edited by Shouja

Dear Roua,

I hope this letter can reach you before you leave Corren. I met that Captain Jim fellow. He seems to be a nice man, though he was looking at me as though I was going to bite him. I wonder if Diana has been telling him stories about me. Really, I’m quite happy for them. I even promised to come to the reunion at Mother Oana’s to celebrate their engagement. Don’t worry, I’ll be on my best behaviour and won’t quarrel with Mother or spoil anything. I kind of miss all of you also, so I’ll be glad to go.

Life is fine here. The miners are pretty similar to those in Nordcarn. But you can’t mention it to them, though. They don’t like the Nordcarn dwarves at all. I got into an argument with an old dwarf down by the docks the other day, about which wines were better. It was lots of fun… he had a loud voice and it took us three hours to shout each other hoarse. I won the argument, but he was smiling at lot at the end too. I think he likes to argue as much as I do.

We also found some ancient artefacts in the gold mine the other day. The miners think they might be long-forgotten works of Dvar, the god of the dwarves. I’ve got one in my tavern, as a good luck sign. I’ll bring it along to show you and Reca when I come.

I won’t write much more, since I think I’ll see you at the reunion. I can talk more with you then. It’ll be so good to see everyone again after three years, even Mother. Since I ran away I’ve been rather lonely all by myself.

Your little sister,

Valeria

Yo Corina!

How have you been? Are you bored yet? I told you you should have come with me to the Marshes. Life’s full of excitement here. We just had another goblin raid on the fort today, and I was able to take part for the first time. I’ve been getting one of the archers to teach me how to shoot in my spare time, and today I showed off my new skills. Bagged me a gobbie, little sister! You should have seen it! The flight of the arrow was as smooth as silk and it went straight into his eye! There was blood everywhere, and the little green runt ran screaming from the walls before falling down dead. Later, the soldiers were congratulating me on my first kill, and even buying rounds for me!

Oh, don’t worry – I was perfectly safe all the time! The goblins didn’t have any ranged weaponry, and the fort walls were both thick and high. And it’s not like I would have any patrons in the tavern while a raid was going on, so I just decided to close up shop and make myself useful, that’s all. Besides, there were at least a half-dozen other trained archers up on the platform next to me. They would have easily handled anything that crawled up the battlements. Still, it’s an exciting life. I can’t believe you decided to stay back in that humdrum farming village of yours.

By the way, you get your wine from Latis’ vineyard, right? I’ve been talking to Laura, and between us we’ve managed to find a way to cut costs for all our wine supplies. I’ve become good friends with the winery owners, and I can get a discount if I buy in bulk. I can then ship them out to you and Laura and the rest of the girls who are interested, for free. Some of the soldiers here have to report to White Stone and Portland weekly, and they wouldn’t mind carrying some wine casks for me. It’d be easy for them to drop by your place on their way to deliver the casks to you.

So, interested in having a couple of big, brawny – and most importantly, single – men coming by to visit you every week with wine? I know a couple of young men who are just dying to meet a sister – any sister – of mine. Roua won’t touch them because they curse a lot and she’s afraid of violence, and Laura isn’t interested in romance, so how about you? I won’t tell if you won’t tell. *wink*

Don’t forget, the reunion party’s at Mother Oana’s in a week’s time. I’m getting one of the soldiers to give me a ride back to Nordcarn. Want us to pick you up along the way?

Cheers!

Rodica

And this ends the Pre-Reunion Letters. :P In a sense, they form the Prologue of the story, setting the scene for the Reunion. But since I haven't written the Reunion yet, it'll be a while before the next story post.

~Shouja~

Thanks, Roja. ;)

Okay, here's the preliminary prep-work on characterisation of all ten tavernkeepers.

Character Sketches (based on Monday’s Child nursery rhyme) :

Eldest: Laura (Wooden Corner Tavern, Portland)

Personality:

- Saturday’s child (Works hard for a living)

- Ambitious and strong-willed. Wants to get rich, and likes the hustle and bustle of business. Very energetic and busy all the time.

- Strong feminist. Believes that anything a man can do, a woman can do better. Despises men who try to buy sexual favours, and sees no need to be dependent on anyone for her living. Fiercely independent.

- Likes to talk with Rodica, who also shares her views about the roles of men and women, and her affinity for business.

Second eldest: Maria (Happy Spirits Inn & Tavern, White Stone City)

Personality:

- Monday’s child (fair of face)

- Charming socialite. Wants to rise in the social hierarchy and marry a peer of the realm. Trying to upgrade her tavern into a high-class bar for social activities among the elites of White Stone.

- Bright, bubbly and likes to gossip. Makes friends easily, and knows how to use her charm and wit to get what she wants.

- Not given to deep thought about philosophical matters – focused on things she can see and hear right now.

- Likes refined tastes, dislikes common things. However, she has fond memories of growing up with her sisters, so will tolerate anything unrefined about her family for old times’ sake.

Third eldest: Roua (Merry Soul Tavern, Corren Town)

Personality:

- Tuesday’s child (full of grace)

- Quiet and spiritual. Religiously-inclined, devoted to Elandria and Jayden (in that order). Is concerned about the spirituality of her sisters, often wishes they would seek to learn more about the goddesses.

- Believes she has a mission to provide for the needs of the people of Corren Town. Trying to create a safe, comfortable family-friendly environment in her tavern.

- Dislikes conflict and quarrels among people she cares for. Often seen as the wise sister to go to for comfort and advice. Plays mediator and healer of family wounds a lot. Quietly watches over Valeria for Mother Oana.

- Often at odds with Rodica, but feels it’s her duty to love her sister and try to temper her violent nature.

Fourth eldest: Rodica (Morcraven Marshes Tavern)

Personality:

- Thursday’s child (has far to go)

- Wild tomboy when she was young. Grew up with dreams of going on high adventures and being just like the boys, but also came to accept her feminine qualities and use them.

- An earthy, passionate personality, who likes to play rough and have fun without really caring about principles or consequences. Slightly bloodthirsty, and despises cowardice.

- Often at odds with Roua, but feels affectionate towards her anyway. Takes all her sister’s religious philosophising with a laugh and lets it go in one ear and out the other. Fairly sensible at business as well, so often serves as a sounding board for Laura to test her business schemes with.

Middle child: Corina (Grahm’s Village Tavern & Inn)

Personality:

- Wednesday’s child (full of woe)

- Romantic dreamer. Wants someone to sweep her off her feet, wants to get married, wants to have children and be deliriously happy, but finds life to be not as she expected it, and very dull instead.

- Unsure of her place in the world, and suffers from low self-esteem in social situations. Feels like she doesn’t really belong anywhere. Doesn’t realise she’s got a talent for art yet, not having been exposed to it while growing up in Nordcarn.

- Can be envious of other people’s good fortune, and turns bitter when that happens, using cutting sarcasm to bring the person down. She usually apologises afterwards, though.

Fourth youngest: Elena (White Stone Inn and Tavern)

Personality:

- Friday’s child (Loving and giving)

- Humble and quiet. Wants a simple, safe and secure life. Doesn’t have many ambitions, but just goes with the flow and uses the skills she has been taught to earn an adequate living for herself.

- Likes to cater to the common folk of White Stone, unlike Maria. Serves all the tradespeople and the working class of the city, treating everyone equally.

- Self-sacrificial and people-pleasing by nature, so always tends to put others above herself and deny her own needs. Her innocence often leads her into traps and gets her taken advantage of.

- Very close to Corina, who used to play and dream quietly together with her when she was young.

Third youngest: Diana (Lakeside Tavern and Inn)

Personality:

- Sunday’s child (bonny and blithe, good and gay)

- Well-balanced in terms of personality, and has a sweet girlish face with a hint of spice. The “perfect girl-next-door”, so to speak.

- Likes to hear about great adventures and dream of heroes, but not brave enough to pursue them like Rodica did. Instead, she settled for being in a port close to the entryway to the new continent and listening to sailors.

- Friendly and open, feminine and wise. Gets along well with nearly all of her other sisters, especially Maria and Reca. Is sensitive to other people’s feelings, so tries to keep from triggering Corina’s envy.

Second youngest: Reca (Pula’s Tavern, Isla Prima)

Personality:

- Thursday’s child (has far to go)

- Endlessly-fascinated with learning new things and seeking after knowledge. She was a bookworm when she was young, but wanted to find out more about the real world as soon as possible, so tagged along with her elder sisters as they left.

- Is probably the most scientifically and academically-inclined of all the sisters, liking to experiment with new things and concoctions (which occasionally blow up in her face).

Youngest: Valeria (Moonshadow Tavern, Mynadar)

Personality:

- Wednesday’s child (full of woe)

- Rebellious and stubborn by nature. Likes to argue at lot with authority, and often had fights with Mother Oana when growing up. Loves fiercely, but also hates fiercely, and bears grudges with a vengeance.

- Gets along very well with dwarves, being similar in nature to them. Is interested in dwarven mythology and culture, but refused to stay in Nordcarn with Mother Oana after everyone left, so ran away to Mynadar instead. (Under the discreet watchful eyes of Roua, of course).

- Loves and listens to Roua a lot, as she helps soothe Valeria’s turbulent nature, and shares a common interest in mythology.

Parental Guardian: Oana (Nordcarn Tavern)

Personality:

- Friday’s child (loving and giving)

- Old-fashioned spinster dwarf. Lives by the dwarfish principles of good hard work, discipline, respect for traditional authority and duty to help those in need.

- Adopted the 9 girls to raise by herself for close to 15 years after the orphanage they were in burned down and killed their Matron. Taught them all how to earn a living through tavern-keeping.

- Tends to feel emotions strongly, but is embarrassed to talk about it, so will bury her feelings and suffer in silence until someone else brings it up.

The actual writing is still a long way off, but this is just world-building prep work first. I've got a question, though: Which of the gods/goddesses is the patron of food and drink? Is it Elandria, Goddess of Invention and Home, or Jayden, Goddess of Potions, or Zarin, Goddess of the Arts, or Lucaa, Queen of Nature? Or is it separated out, like one being in charge of wine and drinking, and a different one being in charge of the culinary arts? I'm trying to figure out which Goddess(es) Roua is supposed to follow.

~Shouja~

Edited by Shouja