Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Ok, should the cooldowns stay or not?

I voted yes. the cooldown was a pain at first, it still is, but I'm used to it now. I hope that it will make the game more strategic. However, if it goes away, I won't weep, either.

:P

Keira/Sandi

And wether you like it or not, if half plus one votes for something, then they should get what they want, this is the very principle that makes the democracy work. If I say that half plus one is not enough, it would mean I do not care about what the players want, so I am inherntly evil, no?

Actually, no, it wouldn't make you evil. Many ballot items (especially those dealing with money in the state of California) require a 2/3 vote to pass. That way it's clear that a true majority want it.

It would be perfectly reasonable to say that if the vote on cooldown doesn't come out 33/66 or perhaps 40/60 one way or the other that it's to close to call a winner. And if there's no clear winner (49/51 for example) then the final decision could be tabled until more information about the future with and without cooldown is released.

I'm one of those who hasn't voted yet hoping for a clearer picture of things. For example, stackable FPs would put me on the yes side. The return of mixing delays would put me on the no side. I'm not sure what I'd do with increased experience per item. These are all things that have been talked about, but haven't been promised (or shown up yet).

As I've said elsewhere (and others are starting to lament with their "can I change my vote" comments), it's hard to vote without knowing all the facts. You (Entropy) yourself said: "If you were interested in the reasoning behind the cooldowns, you would have asked before you voted.." Well I would like to ask. Perhaps in another base-note would you be so kind as to explain the reasoning behind the cooldowns as well as where you see it going now that the month of testing is (more or less) over.

Edited by bkc56

Yes, There is more to it then you understand, the game will never be advance if you guys keep looking to the past. THE CAN BE NEW MAPS, Better monsters, etc. But you don't wanna go forward you wanna go back to the borgin old easy way. RE READ the YES part entropy wrote or speak to guild rich and you will understand these are my reaseons for saying YES Keep the cool down

It appears to me that between the persons who want to change their vote to yes and the padding that has occured that the votes for yes are clearly winning and that a close result in the pole will not provide a true or accurate account of what the REAL majority wants. I realize you are punishing everyone for not getting the facts before they voted but in the end if things stay this close then what the real majority wants will not be what we get should the no votes win. The punishment for the majority who support your ideas and want the game to get better not just bigger will lose out because of a lack of knowledge. That is a sad thing for the game and the community as a whole. I hope that the yes votes do win out and the the true majority gets its way and you get the support you deserve Entropy.

TirunCollimdus Hoping that appreciation of your work and your plans is not thrown away because some persons either did not read or did not trust enough to make the right decision.

:w00t: Wonder what the poll scores would`ve been if Ent hadn`t said anything apart from Yes / No on the original thread, without any mentions of "if you vote yes you will get so n so, if ya vote no, i`ll take it away"

Either way, I voted NO, get rid of the cooldown. :whistle:

I really wish I had thought more about it before I voted earlier. But after talking about it with my guildies and others as well...I realized what a mistake I made. So I hope Yes wins because I'll be kicking myself if it loses.

So You think those who voted NO do not apriciate Radu's work? If You do (or others), than I must tell You that You are very, very much wrong. This poll here is (at least I see it like that) the way to find out what EL community really think about cooldowns.

Apparently, I must notice, it turned out to be who support moderators/developers, and who does not. That is bad, realy bad...

As is said many times in this thread - saying NO to cooldown does not mean Radu should stop developing EL :whistle: . It does not even mean that we do not like what EL team did. They could perfectly well make their decision about cooldown without asking the community. But they ASKED, and this poll is all about giving a feedback to them.

Well, in a way a "no" vote is kind of giving us the middle finger, but it's ok, we got a pretty thick skin from the previous situations.

Ent, that's not it at all. I know I for one am greatful for the hardwork you guys put into this game, and that it is free. Hell if you changed it to where it was pay to play I'd probably fork out the money cause I love the game and the community and staff so much.

Please don't think that those of us that voted no don't appreciate your work and effort. Just some things that just didn't make game play as enjoyable for some of us. You know we love teh god, without you, we wouldn't be here.

Keep up the hard work, and no matter which way this vote goes, I'm staying :whistle:

Guest Enyo

Well, in a way a "no" vote is kind of giving us the middle finger, but it's ok, we got a pretty thick skin from the previous situations.

Do you really feel this way? .. and if so, WHY would you see it like this?

I know that this is by far my favorite game to play online, so please don't think we don't appreciate it. We do, I know originally I voted no because for fighters it is hard. But for some many other things it's good, and it's not like cooldown isn't used in other games either. I guess it's just difficult to go from what it was before to cooldown...hard to get used to. I'm just hoping that people read through this topic before they vote, then it may help them avoid making an uninformed vote.

If that is what you think - than be what You are - a God, and do not ask us for our opinion - do as You think it should be done! :w00t::whistle:

Addendum:

Actually, if FPs are stackable, and little more cheap (8gc) I would vote yes, and I think total majority would do that... I do not PK, so I do not know how difficult is for them, but I think it would require some tweaks too. Personally, I would forget the result of this poll if I were You, keep cooldown, and make these few necessary tweaks.

Again, I must add that I am concerned about new players - cooldown makes game harder for them, because they cannot afford FPs so easily... New alchemic need a lot of money in order to develop alc. skills... - It is easy for those with loads of money in storage and alc. experience level over 60 to say "I vote Yes for cooldown". :) This is IMHO the main reason why "NO" keeps on - because beginers also vote here. And it is VERY important for EL to have new, fresh players all the time.

Edited by Vitez

Addendum:

Actually, if FPs are stackable, and little more cheap (8gc) I would vote yes, and I think total majority would do

Cooldown works really well with 'cooked meat'. As a vegetarian i don't like the idea, but well ... 25 food points and 25 seconds cooldown are nice.

You just go and harv 200 vegetables, sell them and buy 20 cooked meat. Cheap food with nice cooldown time.

Having read the poll and the subsequent postings, and knowing full well the possible consequences for posting anything besides "YES" or "NO". and having accepted such fate if so it is dealt to me, I make this post.

I have not voted either way on this poll, because I just don't know what way to go, and I have tried to hold my tongue as best I could, as was asked from the beginning. There are several suggestions I'd like to make on this issue from what I've seen, but since we were asked, no, TOLD, not to say a word beyond our experiences, I did not make opinion-posts until either they were asked for, or after some time had passed, and I still have further suggestions I want to give that I have not.

In this poll, as it stands now, I do not know which way to vote - perhaps you can help me a bit, Entropy? If I were to vote NO, I'm not making a vote to stagnate development completely, am I? I have no intention of doing so. But, if I vote YES, would that be taken as total endorsement of cooldown, either as it stands now or with small tweaks, and would I then be told the community said keep it, so no change can even be considered?

I don't want to be forced into a situation where I have to accept the disposal of what could be a perfectly sound idea, nor do I want to grant tacit approval to one that hasn't been too practical in application.

Edited by Arnieman

The development will not stagnate, but I have no other idea of what I else could implement (that is, keeping in mind our limited resources).

i appreciate all time u put into this and i think game needs to expand but ppl come on if u vote no you r wasting entropys and every1 elses time do u want it to turn out like anova runescape?

thank you entropy

The development will not stagnate, but I have no other idea of what I else could implement (that is, keeping in mind our limited resources).

Thank you for your response, but I do want to ask the other part (reworded): If I vote yes now, and things are not looking so good after you bring in the new stuff, do I lose the opportunity to positively critique/make suggestions later?

To be perfectly honest, I am kind of disappointed, voting without reading all of it. It's like a contract, don't sign until you read the fine print.

But, lets also put it this way, people get stuck in a rut, so to speak, meaning they get used to one way, when something new comes in, of course they're going to complain, you never can please everybody. All the new players that started during this test period, not having played before, going back to the original way, will complain about the delays that most of us already know about.

It is hard to adjust to new things sometimes, but it can be done, complaining about it or not.

Ent, i know you said, the people that left, you don't care and it's not going to make a difference to you one way or another, but.....a lot of them read the forums still, with an advancement on the game, they most likely will come back, if nothing else just to see what it's like.

I know I'm going to step on toes here now, but this is my opinion, the game is fun, and honestly, it's fun for a lot of us, BECAUSE there is more to it then fighting and pking. I'm not putting the fighters down there, just stating a fact. This game is wonderful and guess what......unlike most you can play it free. Stop complaining too much. A game that doesn't advance gets boring, you'll end up being able to do everything and find out, theres no more challenge left. So what do you do, you look either for a new challenge (new game) or make a new character, just so you can do it all over again, but already have the facts, half the challenge is gone already.

While the cool down has hurt fighters, pkers and don't forget us summoners, it had been said in the beginning that after a month of trial there would be adjustments and tweaks.

Yes, I hated the cool down, when i came back after 2 weeks not playing, but it gave me a challenge to find new ways to do things that i got used doing over and over, but it was fun finding a new way of doing something, getting feedback on how other players dealt with it and how they adjusted. And isn't that what we always strive for, a new way of doing things, moving forward, not backwards. The same thing applies to the game here, if the no votes win, we're not moving forward, we'll just stagnate. And in the long run, players will leave due to no more challenges.

*Starts hiding all the rocks that could be thrown* :mellow:

Guest Bela_Lugosi

darlin' u got to let me know, should i stay or should i go? i'm for keeping cooldown alive, but i can understand the not-very-strong-wannabe-fighters-summoners-etc too. some ppl levelled up quite fast before CD, the newcomers will reach their level twice as hard. but if u reach lvl 70 in two weeks, where's the fun in that?

undead

...or, maybe it's the only forum we have where we can ask you, Entropy, "Do you really think it's a good idea, and, if so, why?" You didn't even brook any conceptual criticisms with cooldown on the test server:

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.p...ndpost&p=224957

Don't mistake conservatism with any finger. Don't even mistake it for anti-progress. Some of us just aren't ready to jump on a wagon that's full of pretty toys without knowing where the wagon is going. (Heck, haven't even seen any toys yet, except those "toys" that fix the wagon.)

...why does this remind me of the whole Harriet Miers thing?

Edited by Hanover Fist

Again, I must add that I am concerned about new players - cooldown makes game harder for them, because they cannot afford FPs so easily... New alchemic need a lot of money in order to develop alc. skills...

This simply isn't true. I've watched and helped a number of people start the game during cooldown and it's very possible to begin alchemy by making FE without the need for FPs. Once they've made some FE they can sell them to get funding for books and FPs to progress on to other more advanced Alchemy items that make even more money for them. This isn't much different from how I started.

It is easy for those with loads of money in storage and alc. experience level over 60 to say "I vote Yes for cooldown". :P This is IMHO the main reason why "NO" keeps on - because beginers also vote here. And it is VERY important for EL to have new, fresh players all the time.

My Alc experience is not over 60, it's not even over 50. I voted to keep cooldown.