Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Ok, should the cooldowns stay or not?

Obviously, if those things are undesired by the players (and it is my observation that mainly the fighters disagree with the cooldowns) there is little point in me wasting my time with doing something people will hate, so I can spend my time doing thing I like. That doesn't mean we will stop working at EL, but there will be no really new stuff too soon. By new stuff I mean changing how things work, not just adding a new map, a few new monsters, etc.

I am looking forward to more changes.

Entropy, if that was the case, you should tell us more specifically what we should expect IF cooldown is about to stay, before we actually started this poll... For example, if You promised FPs will be stackable (and even little cheaper, so beginers can afford it) I would without doubt vote YES (for cooldown to stay). Right now we have situation when everything about cooldown, and planed things related to it is totally UNCLEAR. Understand my point?

Edited by Vitez

Hmmmm i am sure if any mention of the cooldown being used to implement new things was mentioned i would have remembered.... but i have a crap memory.

To develop the game is one thing.. to slap cooldown on people with no explanation apart from helping the gc sinkhole....

To give a decent reason is another matter. We are implementing this so we can tweak the system in a view to introduce new items in the future...there are differences.

I may have missed a lot but from what i saw it was, this is it, don't bitch or you get banned...no opnions, nothing... If it had been stated that new items would be introduced if it worked maybe people would have been more likely to wait before they bitched.

The thing is, the cooldowns were but the first step into making EL more strategic. The next steps would have been more special weapons, shared vision, limited vision (such as for fog, night, perception, etc.) and possibly a non engaging combat, with the posibility to flee at any time but with enough spells and items to make that hard. Stuff such as a stun and paralyze spell, etc. And ultimately a few movement speeds.

Obviously, if those things are undesired by the players (and it is my observation that mainly the fighters disagree with the cooldowns) there is little point in me wasting my time with doing something people will hate, so I can spend my time doing thing I like. That doesn't mean we will stop working at EL, but there will be no really new stuff too soon. By new stuff I mean changing how things work, not just adding a new map, a few new monsters, etc.

Also a quite from DNS...

"It is a sound idea and defenately needs tweeking with the countdown times and tweeking the experience gained to reduce the need to mass produce as much."

Now as far as I remember when redaing the forums about the cooldown being implemented there was supposed to be an experience boost for items made that came with the cooldown. But that has yet to be seen. So I vote for how things are now instead of how they may be in the future, cause things that are said may not come to pass. And as things are now with the cooldown, my vote still has to stay with no.

If you were interested in the reasoning behind the cooldowns, you would have asked before you voted.

Now it is too late for those who have already cast their votes.

But i'm still wondering, the voting still goes 50/50, in your first post you stated:

If the majority votes no, ...

If the majority votes yes, ...

There is still no real majority, how will this end ?

If you were interested in the reasoning behind the cooldowns, you would have asked before you voted.

Ermm but wasn't it said yes or no on this forum, no comments?

One, the other... where we supposed to ask before we voted?

Ermm but wasn't it said yes or no on this forum, no comments?

One, the other... where we supposed to ask before we voted?

Which would explain why there are abosulutely no comments on this thread..

The party that has votes>total_votes/2 wins

If equal, they will stay.

Majority means over 50%, yes?

Oh well, you just mean you throw an idea away becuz 1 more human being vote no ? I think you better see the voting as: Half of the idea is good, half of the idea is bad, so with some tweeks and mixes of past idea the idea could work for all people in EL :P

Oh well, it stills seems like you're quite mad on the players who bitched on the ideas and you don't mind the players who still support the improvements of EL :P

For what it's worth, many good customers (ie. those that buy a lot of stuff from us) would like the cooldowns to go.

So what is good for them is good for us :P

And wether you like it or not, if half plus one votes for something, then they should get what they want, this is the very principle that makes the democracy work. If I say that half plus one is not enough, it would mean I do not care about what the players want, so I am inherntly evil, no?

...I thought I knew the reasoning, based on the context in which this post was made:

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.p...ndpost&p=202880

Not to mention the wording of this post:

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.p...ndpost&p=216109

See, now you've got my positive attention. I knew you had some plans for introducing more strategic and tactical play, and I was looking forward to them (in addition to the new skill system, etc.). But, after searching with the keyword "cooldown," and "Entropy" as author, I haven't found where you describe cooldown as an integral, necessary part of a larger plan. All the posts I can find (apart from the above) describe what cooldown does, mechanistically, not what it's for.

You'll do what you want, of course, and I'm not gonna ask to change my vote (it's still valid based on the information I currently have). I'll just wait for your full elucidation after the vote is ended.

(Edited to remove a previous edit :P )

Edited by Hanover Fist

I just want to show you this example:

A vendor is selling blue quartz at 0.5gc each

All the normal people would be happy, cheap quartz (49.46% of the total population)

The economists would be sad because this is bad for the economy (50.54% of the total population)

Now this vendor can say, I obey to the economists and quit to sell blue quartz. Or he can raise his price to 1gc each and make 40% of the normal people happy and 40% of the economist happy => 80% of all people are happy.

This discussion has nothing to do with democracy, I think you just stated 2 extreme opinions, just yes or no. No way through it ...

Now that many players who did not care to read and/or think about it for more then a second, have come to conclusion they have perhaps misscasted their vote..

U might want to reset the counter, and announce 2 more days of new voting :P

But, after searching with the keyword "cooldown," and "Entropy" as author, I haven't found where you describe cooldown as an integral, necessary part of a larger plan. All the posts I can find (apart from the above) describe what cooldown does, mechanistically, not what it's for.

You'll do what you want, of course, and I'm not gonna ask to change my vote (it's still valid based on the information I currently have). I'll just wait for your full elucidation after the vote is ended.

(Edit) Oops - you already did what you want. Oh, well.

I didn't specify the exact plan, and for a good purpose. You must understand that this whole conversation is not only about cooldowns, it is also a social and politic experiment. Prematurely revealing all the details would not serve my objective.

In fact, for all you know, I might be bluffing, and maybe I really want to keep the cooldowns and I am trying to make you believe I don't care (which is called Inverse Psychology). So after seeing that people who are voting against it slightly outnumber the people voting for it, I decided to promise some things I didn't previously plan to do.

Or maybe not, maybe I really want the cooldowns to go away, which is the reason I posted the previous statement and didn't give more details about it.

Or maybe I honestly don't care about the outcome, since it is equally easy for me to get rid of the cooldowns or keep them.

Now that many players who did not care to read and/or think about it for more then a second, have come to conclusion they have perhaps misscasted their vote..

U might want to reset the counter, and announce 2 more days of new voting :P

Oh, I am sure by this time many people would like to change their vote, but this is not how things work. It is not my fault people rushed to vote without getting the full details before.

Sometimes i'm really thinking you're acting, sometimes it looks like you want to get rid as fast as possible from the cooldown and other times you show cooldown like an idea that came from heaven. And that is what I (and I think a lot of other players) think made it difficult for us to make a good, constructive comment on it ... And I can surely appreciate you want to keep some secrets (or things you aren't sure off you can implent them). But as far as all the posts go, we always come back to the state where it goes about decreasing the mass production and not about making new tactics and so on, till this post, but this post is far away from 100% clear.

(it feels like I made a lot of grammatical and other errors in the text above, so don't mind about those mistakes)

Edited by Cycloonx

It seems as though both sides of this arguement are equal, about half of the people want the cooldowns and the other half doesn't. I stick with my idea of making times where cooldowns ( and the items that come with them good or bad) are active like at night or every other day and non cooldowns ( and the items that we would get if the cooldowns are gotten rid of) are active at day or every other night. Then everyone gets what they want and there wont be threads of people bitching about the decision that was made. It makes everyone happy....

One concern, are we sure that there arent people with multiple forum accounts that are casting more than one vote? Or does it log your IP when you cast a vote and know that someone has already voted from that IP?

Guest Booble

One concern, are we sure that there arent people with multiple forum accounts that are casting more than one vote? Or does it log your IP when you cast a vote and know that someone has already voted from that IP?

There are people doing that. Last night, a number of people admitted padding the vote by registering multiple accounts. Probably not a lot you can do about that.

Multiple votes from the same IP are ok, sometimes 2 or more people play EL from the same house (or university, etc.).

While it is possible to create multiple accounts, it takes some time and unless you are really determined to make a difference, it won't create much of a difference.

Guest Booble

Multiple votes from the same IP are ok, sometimes 2 or more people play EL from the same house (or university, etc.).

While it is possible to create multiple accounts, it takes some time and unless you are really determined to make a difference, it won't create much of a difference.

In a poll this tight, it may make a difference. But in the end, the game will still remain enjoyable. You can't please everyone.