Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bkc56

Buddy List mantanence

My buddy list is full. But there are seldom more than 6-8 people shown on it. I can only assume I've got a bunch of "stale" buddies on the list (people who seldom/never log in). I need to clean them off the list so I can add new people, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that.

This has been discussed before, for example: here.

So I'd like to suggest one addition and one (I think) change:

#list_buddy

Lists all the people on your buddy list (either on-line or off-line).

#del_buddy

Enhanced so that it will allow you to delete a buddy who's not currently on-line (my impression is that you can only delete buddies who are on-line).

And no, I don't really want to do a #clear_buddy and start over.

And finally, it would be nice if the buddy lists could have more people on them. I'm not sure what the limit is now (since I can't list them all) but my impression is that it's probably <20, perhaps <15.

The buddy list is a great idea, and really useful. It just seems one little hole (stale entries on a fixed sized list) was missed.

You can delete not onliny buddies, you just need to know their names - what's not easy if you added zillions of them:)

Very true, #list_buddies would be beautiful.

I had an idea for the buddy list it is....

people that are online show up green, :bow_arrow:

if they are afk they show up yellow, :D

if they are offline then they show up red, :evilgrin:

this could be easier than the #list_buddy flooding your screen. :icon13::hug::P

:battleaxe_rune: Zezi :battleaxe_rune:

Yes I would very much like this too!

And me!! :D

gosh, my buddy list is full too :(

people that are online show up green, :(

if they are afk they show up yellow, :D

if they are offline then they show up red, :)

this could be easier than the #list_buddy flooding your screen. B)B)B)

first off, #AFK is all client side. the server has no way of knowing who's AFK unless it sends a PM and times the responce. so you can't change colours based on that.

I also don't like the green & red, that's used currently for people to set stuff like ally and enemy. anyone online should be whatever colour (you can change a contact colour when you right-click on them), and anyone offline should be at the end of the list and in grey

Yes I would very much like this too!

And me!! :icon4:

gosh, my buddy list is full too :icon4:

I agree :) Is there anything being implemented for this or at least in the planning stages?

I like the idea of them being greyed-out as well. The last time I tried to add a buddy it told me the limit was 20--was that increased? *gets hopes up* Also, the #del_buddy would be very nice since the people one usually wants to delete are the ones who are never online :) *gets hopes up again*

people that are online show up green, :icon4:

if they are afk they show up yellow, :)

if they are offline then they show up red, :icon4:

this could be easier than the #list_buddy flooding your screen. :icon4:B)B)

first off, #AFK is all client side. the server has no way of knowing who's AFK unless it sends a PM and times the responce. so you can't change colours based on that.

I also don't like the green & red, that's used currently for people to set stuff like ally and enemy. anyone online should be whatever colour (you can change a contact colour when you right-click on them), and anyone offline should be at the end of the list and in grey

Yea, I agree with greying out the offline ppl.. Or have a #list_buddy cmd like was mentioned with a way to delete like #delete_buddy or #remove_buddy whether they're on or offline..

Listing them all and greying out the offline ones would be the best, IMO..

I use the colors to distinguish between friends, good buddies, and my own guildmates...

people that are online show up green, :icon8:

if they are afk they show up yellow, :icon13:

if they are offline then they show up red, :wub:

this could be easier than the #list_buddy flooding your screen. B)B)B)

instead of colours could u not just add something like:

[buddy1] Online

[buddy2] Offline

there would b a break so the online buddies would b at the top and offlines at the bottom of the list:

[buddy1] Online

[buddy4] Online

[buddy5] Online

[buddy2] Offline

[buddy3] Online

[buddy6] Online

just a thought i had while watching a movie (4 some reason came 2 me while watching Saw, dont know y, the dude just cut his foot off then came 2 me lol)

Finally I found the thread I was looking for, I wish the other thread which I had run was still open so I could add this web-page link to it. Sadly I have tried 3 keywords 'Instant Messenger' , 'IM' , 'buddy list' & then this one '#list buddy' while there were 16 pages or something each time, but only this one & the other I had mentioned in my post had something related to IM in the title & this one is somewhat old. So again I make a request, if somebody has got some news, some update about wht is the latest about the Instant Messenger thing, either pm me or put it on Gossip or something. I like the game too much & would like to see where we can get better at it. I would request all the experienced members of the forum to give this noob tht link. Thnx in advance :hug:

Sorry for bringing this topic back but is there any news on this?

I think we had several server updates since this topic started but no command to list all buddies yet, it would be quite usefull.

Sorry for bringing this topic back but is there any news on this?

I think we had several server updates since this topic started but no command to list all buddies yet, it would be quite usefull.

As has been stated before, this is a low prioerity because it will require a major amount of work with how the buddy list is currently handled.

Ugh.. well, I'm not n00b at programming so I seriously doubt anyone could have made something as simple as buddy list to be so complicated that it cannot have a new feature :) but ok, maybe I'm wrong.

Ugh.. well, I'm not n00b at programming so I seriously doubt anyone could have made something as simple as buddy list to be so complicated that it cannot have a new feature :) but ok, maybe I'm wrong.

The buddy list does not have the player names, and currently there is no simple way of converting the number to a name currently unless the other player is logged in.

The buddy list does not have the player names, and currently there is no simple way of converting the number to a name currently unless the other player is logged in.

Well it doesn't need to be done server sided. Let the client remember which persons you added. You need to approve players, so from the moment someone is approved the client could remember it. I know it doesn't cover all cases (like uninstalling your game etc) but it could help atleast some people and it shouldn't be that hard to make.

been done for the life of the client... but it's messy and will be wrong. what happens when you #delete_buddy on another computer? they're forever offline even if they're not

no, unfortunately it has to be done on the server

Well, that's what I mean with "It doesn't cover all cases". But if the buddy_list is held in a simple txt file players could fix their list themselves. (Players can hold their own txt files too offcourse) But I agree for some players this could even give more probs than keeping it as worse as it is now.

considering that some people aren't capable of editing plain text files, that wouldn't work out too well

much as I'd like offline buddies, a hack like this won't help much (and will get in the way a lot. imagine the bug reports...)

Ok so if I get it right, there is a number which in this case is an ID of a player, so we just need to search for the player with that ID and take the name. I dont see much difference in searching online players pool and database files. Sure it can be resource heavy and that might be a reason why it wasn't implemented so far, considering that database has few k of players, some of them not even playing anymore. It's alot of job for a small thing but..

Why would offline players need to appear in buddy list at all, let's just make it work like #save command so that when you ask for the list it gives you everyone you have on it, same as #storage works without arguments (lists everything) and limit it's usage per time, just like #save works. This way it would be less heavy on the resources.

I doubt people would use it every day, maybe even once in few months just to clear the list of unwanted/non-playing names.

I might be just talking nonsence but it's a suggestion.

Ok so if I get it right, there is a number which in this case is an ID of a player, so we just need to search for the player with that ID and take the name. I dont see much difference in searching online players pool and database files. Sure it can be resource heavy and that might be a reason why it wasn't implemented so far, considering that database has few k of players, some of them not even playing anymore. It's alot of job for a small thing but..

Why would offline players need to appear in buddy list at all, let's just make it work like #save command so that when you ask for the list it gives you everyone you have on it, same as #storage works without arguments (lists everything) and limit it's usage per time, just like #save works. This way it would be less heavy on the resources.

I doubt people would use it every day, maybe even once in few months just to clear the list of unwanted/non-playing names.

I might be just talking nonsence but it's a suggestion.

There is no database, a manual scan of over 100k files would be needed, over 10k new characters are made each month, which is why we have to clean them out regularly. That is part of the reason it would take a lot work to put in with the current setup.