Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Release candidate 2

http://www.eternal-lands.com/test_update_28_12.zip

Just to be safe, make a copy of the game and install it in that directory.

This release should have all the bugs fixed (except for some errors about not finding some books).

If you have an ATI card, and enable the "toggle frame buffer support" in the Advanced Video section, be sure to also enable the Mouse Bug thing. You can enable that mouse bug anyway, even if you don't have an ATI card, as it will replace the current walking method (it is better, I think).

For Linux, compile your own, with the following flags (and whatever other flags you want)

-DELC -DUSE_FRAMEBUFFER -DNEW_FRUSTUM -DBUG_FIX_3D_OBJECTS_MIN_MAX -DNEW_TEX -DNEW_WEATHER -DOPTIONS_I18N -DATI_9200_FIX -DNETWORK_THREAD -DWIDGETS_FIX -DNEW_ACTOR_ANIMATION

Also let me know if you notice any improvement in the 'combat lag' thing, where it takes a while until you exit the combat after you kill someone or something.

Edited by Entropy

You can enable that mouse bug anyway, even if you don't have an ATI card, as it will replace the current walking method (it is better, I think).

sometimes it fixes problems... sometimes you have to turn it off again (I got that when visiting the new storage earlier today)

also, I'll request that -DPNG_SCREENSHOT be used for subsequent builds if it isn't yet, along with a distribution of the png dll if needed. It should be working fine now, but mass-testing it can't be a bad thing, and a number of people have asked for the option

Explain the problem. Why do you have to turn it off?

As for enabling that png thing, it makes sense only in Linux or FreeBSD, in windows you can just press the Printscreen key and just paste it in your favorite graphic program.

sometimes it fixes problems... sometimes you have to turn it off again (I got that when visiting the new storage earlier today)
I had the same problem before with the test client 2 days ago released ... But I can click the storage with this update ...

Explain the problem. Why do you have to turn it off?

going to that storage with the option turned on gave the no-clicking-options that having it off at molgor previously gave. but
The new mouse bug option got fixed in the latest cvs just befor Radu made the release canidate :)
that shouldn't be an issue anymore then

As for enabling that png thing, it makes sense only in Linux or FreeBSD, in windows you can just press the Printscreen key and just paste it in your favorite graphic program.

eh... it's not only easier, it's also a lot faster, which can be important if you want a lot of snaps or are somewhere dangerous (like the photographer in the last big war event)

the code is pretty well tested by the *nix people, and the windows-centric parts are few and also tested, so there's not really a down side to providing this

does that screenshot thing make a new file each time you take the shot? like

screenshot1.png

screenshot2.png

screenshot3.png

screenshot4.png

etc?

If so then i'd LOVE to have it as it's a pain in the ass pressing alt+prntscrn...switching to the graphic program, waiting a min or so for it to show itself..clicking new/paste...switching back to el waiting for it to load..etc.

Thats 2 minutes wasted out of my life tghat I may never get back. Plus, my fingures have a very low chance of breaking if I strech them that far. Those low chances aren't worth it :shame:

does that screenshot thing make a new file each time you take the shot? like

screenshot1.png

screenshot2.png

screenshot3.png

screenshot4.png

etc?

pretty much. it makes a new directory called 'screenshots' and saves them as elscreenshot000.png onwards (or if you use all thousand of them, just keeps replacing 'elscreenshot.png'), but that's just implementation details, saving a PNG screenshot on a keypress (ctrl+p by default) is the fun part

Just some remarks after short wandering. Fps still guite low..in mm for example only 5...if cam towards swamp area..20 if towards east wall.Also in ws only about 15. And this with nvidia 6600. Change of settings..not even resolution..doesnt much give better fps.

oh..now got it..with isometric view fps about 4 times better..if not even more..

Edited by Ratman

This new client (windows) crashed 7 times while i trying to use the ingame video tool to go back to full screen. After i set it manual in ini it works fine in fullscreen.

Beautyful, finaly I can play fullscreen...But the flickering of gradients/paths is still there (ATI driver issue?)

The grid in inventory and manu windows are still green(flickering) until used for the first time.

The mouse fix seems to reduce the clickable area close to non passable objects compared to windowed...it feels that way anyway(tested in PL storage).

Nice fps 50-80. Fps 55 at MM storage with 11 person+me.

Cooldown colour blue now.

Often see lightning without thunder (but some times with thunder).

That weird function click on a tree => walks to the tree is gone :D

Ps: Harvestable objects close to Whitestone/MM storages...so people harvest there and sell in VOTD...something to fix...?

Ok, i copied my EternalLands folder to EternalLandsTest, downloaded the zip into it and extracted it there.

I compiled the cvs client (downloaded it yesterday), edited the makefile.linux and added the options entropy posted above.

It works, no crash right now, but i have some funny graphic effects:

- flashing from time to time, lets say, every 1-2 minutes

- the backsides of my arms are grey/brownish now

- the handle of my pickaxe looks wooden at the upper part and metal like at the lower part. Even its blade has turned to black in a lower part.

And a screenie:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/the...dowProblem2.png

Piper

Edit: Graphics card is GeForce 6600

Edited by The_Piper

- the backsides of my arms are grey/brownish now

That means you didn't unzip the zip in the el directory.

Right, i found now a folder named "test_update". Since i copied the files back into my main EL folder, the problems are gone.

Piper

Just some remarks after short wandering. Fps still guite low..in mm for example only 5...if cam towards swamp area..20 if towards east wall.Also in ws only about 15. And this with nvidia 6600. Change of settings..not even resolution..doesnt much give better fps.

Do you have like a 368 DX 33 MHZ processor? :D

Seriously, I have >80 FPS on an AMD 64 3000+, ATI Mobility 9600 64 MB RAM at Molgor (just checked now).

Guest stalag

Found this bug...

Unable to switch to map ./maps/cont2map16.elm!

Using an empty map instead.

Fatal error: Couldn't load map ./maps/nomap.elm.

Fix your maps.

Disconnected from server!

Im using an ati driver card.

The good side i can see now leopards and ferrans and before i only saw the green bar of them.

Ok Installed test client on two different systems, my wifes, and mine. My system has a GeForce 440Go graphics card, and works fine, frame rate seem in the 30's-50's and about the same as was before. I think the graphics are smoother, and notice a bit of sword play while fighting... nice, maybe was already there, not sure. The wifes system has a Mobil Intel 915gm graphics card, and seems to work better than before. Before when in cooldown, all inventory spaces after and below were shown as in cooldown also, this candidate seemed to fix that. Also noticed lightning effects, I guess, or maybe I should say I hope :-). But seems to work fine with me have had no problems with clicking on storage npc's at this time. I really like it!!!

- flashing from time to time, lets say, every 1-2 minutes

I'm betting that's the new lightning, it's a flash rather than build up and back down again

unless it happens when the sky is clear?

when i start the game i get the following errors. using windows

Couldn't open the book: /usr/local/games/el//books/races/human.xml!

Couldn't open the book: /usr/local/games/el//books/races/dwarf.xml!

Couldn't open the book: /usr/local/games/el//books/races/elf.xml!

Couldn't open the book: /usr/local/games/el//books/races/gnome.xml!

Couldn't open the book: /usr/local/games/el//books/races/orchan.xml!

Couldn't open the book: /usr/local/games/el//books/races/graegoni.xml!