Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hadodej

MERRY X-MASS

So thats why everyone is going to the stores!Time to get the baseball bat ready....

Kidding have a merry christmas!

Old_Siant_Nick. :Yay i love christmas! Time to give coal!

Edited by sparhawk

Merry Christmas, everyone! (even though it's 6 hours past Christmas Day here, now...)

Ah, America, where else can you hear people declaring Merry Christmas to their fellow man like they were a toddler who learned a new swear word?

Bleh, should of posted this a few days ago, but..

Happy Birthday Jesus! :D

err... without wanting to get into religious debate, dec 25th likely isn't jesus' birthday, the day was chosen to match a pagan holiday(*), and even the church admits this link (I asked google, first page I got)

so you might have posted the right day anyway!

*: yule, in fact, of the winter solstice in northern hemisphere. the actual day of the solstice is about the 22nd, but without reliable calendars, they had to go by observation, and hence it was about the 25th they noticed the change... which is pretty remarkable

Edited by ttlanhil

Bleh, should of posted this a few days ago, but..

Happy Birthday Jesus! :D

err... without wanting to get into religious debate, dec 25th likely isn't jesus' birthday, the day was chosen to match a pagan holiday(*), and even the church admits this link (I asked google, first page I got)

so you might have posted the right day anyway!

*: yule, in fact, of the winter solstice in northern hemisphere. the actual day of the solstice is about the 22nd, but without reliable calendars, they had to go by observation, and hence it was about the 25th they noticed the change... which is pretty remarkable

So true, like several holidays we commemorate, Christmas (literally Christ's mass) was dated so to "replace" the Pagan holidays of the cultures that early Christians encountered - I mean, you suddenly change reigion, and you find yourself near or on the date of a celebration in your old culture, and you have nothing to do, that'd be nice temptation to turn back to the old faith...

I was watching a special on TV about Christ's birth, and one scholar thought that, due to the account of the Magi and the "star", it could have even been April 17, in 6 BC... but, unlike the Resurrection, we have no "date" for when the birth of Jesus would have been.

I understand that 12-25 may not be his actual birthdate, but they first believed he was born in January and even February. But they later settled on December the 25th. Which is why I posted happy birthday to him now rather than two months later.