Eternal Lands Official Forums
dns_server

iknow features

As you probly know i'm the creator of the bot iknow. I would like to ask you what features you like, what features you don't like and what features you want me to implement.

I've been buissy rewriteing the internals of my bot. i'm moveing from a system where information is stored in various places to a more structured system where there is an account object to centeralise all account settings. This will allow some customisation of my bot, where the user will be able to disable the mail system and add people to the list of blacklisted people to reduce possible abuse of the email system.

The other significant change is i have made changes to allow for session-less communication. This has allowed for the implementation of multiple line messages to be sent as a sequence of messages and i plan to implement a proper email application where you can open a message then you can ether reply, delete etc based on that message.

I also plan to implement a fiew more features such as games, i might add blackjack. If someone is willing to help me i might implement a quiz, i need someone to write a set of questions and answers.

What features do you think that i should implement i would like features that should be reletively easy to implement and take a fiew hours to a week to implement. Remember to think inside the contstraints of the game, input is restricted to just text in the form of pm messages.

Now back to what you can do. I need your feedback and how you can help. First tell me what features you like? what you don't? What features do you think it is missing? do you think it is easy to use? what is hard to use?

So far, DNS, you're kickin' butt..

I like the way you've got him going.. Thought the email feature was helpful (though I had trouble figgering out how to actually READ a message) heh heh...

Keep pluggin' away at what you've got planned and I'm sure some of us will think of some new stuff to keep you busy.. :)

[PM to iknow: help]

[PM from iknow: My commands are:]

[PM from iknow: msg message = sends a message to dns, if you want me to add a feature do this.]

[PM from iknow: joker - displays top 10 people to find the joker(that i've seen)]

[PM from iknow: msg message = sends a message to dns, if you want me to add a feature do this.]

[PM from iknow: info - info about my bot]

[PM from iknow: sing - let me sing to you]

[PM from iknow: time - show the current el time]

[PM from iknow: seen [name] - shows seen stats, or when i last saw that person]

[PM from iknow: guild [tag] - shows who i have seen from your or the specified guild]

[PM from iknow: stats NAME - shows combat statistics for the player]

[PM from iknow: skills NAME - shows all skills for thaty player]

[PM from iknow: on [guild] - shows who i have seen from that guild or your own guild]

[PM from iknow: online

• - shows who is online in that list (default is moderators)]

[PM from iknow: online list - display possible lists for the above command]

[PM from iknow: fortune

• - displays a random fortune from a random or the specified category]

[PM from iknow: fortune list - show a list of possible categories]

[PM from iknow: friends - your friends online]

[PM from iknow: friends add - add a friend to your list]

[PM from iknow: friends del - remove a friend from your list]

[PM from iknow: mail name - sends a message to the people, you can send to multiple by adding names space seperated]

there is also 'mail get' to retrieve a list of messages, and 'mail read number' to read the message.

Edited by dns_server

i'd like to see an option that you could PM your combat skills to iknow so he calculates your combat lvl, otherwise you always have to turn privacy off, log out and in, check combat lvl, set privacy on and then log out/in again

This privacy thing is great yes, But if there could be a way to allow players who want to, to send a message to iknow with just the stats they want shown. They could update them with a command, Eh, hard to say its just that many many if not most people have privacy on these days and its nice to know around what level that person is. Perhaps just a combat level or just hiding that persons attack/defense/phy/cood. What I am trying to get to is I like to have a little information about a player that I can retrive, if there was an option within Iknow to manually send your characters information that you want shown, it would be nice.

Or just do what I do and take off privacy all together. :) Are you afraid of letting someone know your stats? Are you ashamed of your levels? No. Heh, if you hide your levels you are still the same level and the opponet you are facing is still the same level too.

Note: Im glad to see the combat level is actually being used, Who built that thing? Heh.

i really need to move iknow to use a database instead of lots and lots of flat files.

One option that i could do is store the stats pages when i download them. if someone has privacy on it would check for a cached version and display just a combat level and state that it is most likely wrong.

what the user would need to do is:

#set_privacy off

/iknow cacheme (or something as stupid)

[PM from iknow: cached correctly] (or say that it failed)

#set_privacy on

Blame brom for the combat level :P he wrote it. Combat level is calculated with:

Reaction+Toughness+Dexterity+Attack*.75+Defense*.75+Matter*.50

If someone would like to make a suggestion for a better equation i would be happy to use it. This provides a good aproximate but is not extreemly acurate in determineing wether you could beat them and does not take into account magic level or summoning level. If someone has any idea's tell me, ie should you get a higher combat level if you are more likely to cast restore? or if you can summon fluffies? etc.

there is also 'mail get' to retrieve a list of messages, and 'mail read number' to read the message.

Yea, I figgered it out.. Kept trying different things until I could read my test message to myself.. :P

Though, I was wondering if, when you send someone a message, does it notify them via PM or do they have to actually check-in with iknow (i.e., type "iknow hi" or "iknow help" or something to see that they have a message waiting)?

And, will it take and save messages for someone offline as long as they are in the player list?

it currently you need to pm him with anything and he will say wether you have a mesasage, in a fiew days i will have hopefully written a service that monitors the online pages to see when they login/out and pm them.

Much coolness.

I figgered as much on the message waiting part.. I usually check in with him after logging in anyway..

He's growing into a very informational and useful fellow! :w00t:

Reaction+Toughness+Dexterity+Attack*.75+Defense*.75+Matter*.50

Its not perfect but it works. I was thinking of a good solution, the thing is, some people do not want to factor in magic and/or summoning. So I did not include that in the original forumlae. This one simply calculates what it can, not just p/c/a/d

I might consider changing those .75's to .70s and factoring in mana slightly Etherality*.15 or something because due to the cooldown system a greater mana really does help in fighting.

Yes the equation is good just needs a little tweak

maybe and i dont know how it could possibly do something like

#arm does working on what the character is currently carrying

it would make the equation extremely more complicated

and I would love to help if I can

As you probly know i'm the creator of the bot iknow. I would like to ask you what features you like, what features you don't like and what features you want me to implement.

I've been buissy rewriteing the internals of my bot. i'm moveing from a system where information is stored in various places to a more structured system where there is an account object to centeralise all account settings. This will allow some customisation of my bot, where the user will be able to disable the mail system and add people to the list of blacklisted people to reduce possible abuse of the email system.

The other significant change is i have made changes to allow for session-less communication. This has allowed for the implementation of multiple line messages to be sent as a sequence of messages and i plan to implement a proper email application where you can open a message then you can ether reply, delete etc based on that message.

I also plan to implement a fiew more features such as games, i might add blackjack. If someone is willing to help me i might implement a quiz, i need someone to write a set of questions and answers.

What features do you think that i should implement i would like features that should be reletively easy to implement and take a fiew hours to a week to implement. Remember to think inside the contstraints of the game, input is restricted to just text in the form of pm messages.

Now back to what you can do. I need your feedback and how you can help. First tell me what features you like? what you don't? What features do you think it is missing? do you think it is easy to use? what is hard to use?

My last bot loaded Tcl scripts and ran them. Those scripts defined the actions of the bot, with regard to the data that comes from the server. This might be a cool idea for you to implement, because it means the base class of the bot never changes, and each bot owner can write their own Tcl (or Perl or Python or Qore) scripts. There could be Tcl scripts for trading, for email, for anything, but the idea is that the base class never changes and loading Tcl scripts makes it super easy for non-programmers to add features to the bot. Tcl easily merges with C and was designed to be added to applications that want to load scripts to call the parents functions and stuph. Daz my 2 cents. Oh... maybe also some of these commands:

ping

dance

follow me

sit

stand

turn left

forward

and now for the coolest command I ever wrote that you'll all like that iknow would be fun to have: admire

The admire command lets you send an anonymous message to someone you like. That person will get a message from iknow that says "You have a secret admirer!" and then if that person also uses the admire command, and they name the correct person, a match will be made. The admire command can also contain a string argument:

/iknow admire Sandcastle I think yer cool.

would send:

PM from iknow: You have a secret admirer! They said "I think yer cool."

Anyway, if iknow will be both informational and entertaining, he could do as red (the bot) does and hold death bags. Simple.. if a bag pops up on the map, iknow goes to it and waits over it fi it contains death-ish items, like a sword or gold. If it doesn't, he moves off the bag. Red has saved several bags for people in this way. This might be a fun idea for iknow, too.

last I knew, using Verison or Cingular or whatever cell phone service was free to Text from the web. years ago I wrote an irc script that incorporated the feature. It's really pretty easy to do with a http_get and put procedure. With this, you can have iknow cell phone text people with some information. Just an idea. And free. okay, that's all.

Edited by Wicca

It would be possible a _working_ slashdot ticker :icon14:

Tuxedo has it, but it seems it is disabled or i dont have enough permissions to use it. :)

Edited by Lorck

I'll defenately try and implement a /. or other feed reade but how to implement it in a way where people can add thair own feeds. If it is just /. it would be reletively easy, just maintain a list of people to notify but if i add the ability to add feeds to modify might make it a little more complex but i'll think about doing atleast a /. feed.

i'm not shure about an admire command as it has the high possibility of being abused as the messages can contain anything. i would probly need to have some way of reporting abuseive messages.

I like the idea of sending text messages but it would require a lot of work to implement as this is an international game and would need a bit of tweeking for each countries respective phone company.

If you are willing to help me do something like this i would be greateful. the bot is GPL and avalable in the JELC project. doing something like that would be best to implement the 'Replyer' interface as this is what i use as an abstraction to allow the returing of results to several different backends.

I think that with the privacy feature, the combat level is pointless to offensive fight, because we'll never know the combat level of our enemies, but could be very useful for training, when we are friends and trust each other. So, I think that the combat level formula shouldn't include mana, magic or summoning, because we don't use such things when we train (we don't use magic offensively). And could be also good a feature to feed your a/d/p/c to iknow and he calculates your combat level for you.

:D

Ahh, and Lorck suggested a Slashdot ticker... but if it was a OSNews ticker I'd so use it :)

Edited by Ornitorrinco

I think iknow could speak in a variety of languages. After a while, the strings that iknow says could be collected into an array and referenced based on the users language selection. I've been doing this on a bot I'm working on recently. People seem happy to help translate for such a project, and likewise people like to use their language with bots, I've discovered. Maybe this is a good idea for iknow, too.

I've never thaught about translating iknow to use other languages. Seeing that i'm in the middle of adding account managment features so i could add a field to store what language it is in so i might consider this. The only thing is that i have not had a need to add localisation to any of my applications but i've read a fiew articles on how to do it a while ago and it seems reletively straight forward.

If someone is willing to translate the strings into thair language i can try and do the rest. just pm me through the forums or email the translations to dns_server at yahoo.com.

I've never thaught about translating iknow to use other languages. Seeing that i'm in the middle of adding account managment features so i could add a field to store what language it is in so i might consider this. The only thing is that i have not had a need to add localisation to any of my applications but i've read a fiew articles on how to do it a while ago and it seems reletively straight forward.

If someone is willing to translate the strings into thair language i can try and do the rest. just pm me through the forums or email the translations to dns_server at yahoo.com.

Well, first thing is to gather ALL of the strings you'll be sending out from iknow, and put them into one file, so you know what you need translated. Leave in the %s and %d format stuff, too. Then email that string list to people that are willing to translate from English to the various languages. The trick here is, of course, getting a complete list of ALL the strings iknow will ever use. Because you don't want to have to come back later for additional translations...you wanna do it all at one time because people generally will only help once. Your milage may vary.

In Qore, the programming language I'm using for my bot, I did this:

$language = hash(); # Similar to an array

$language.ENGLISH.str1 = "Hello, %s, how can I help you today?";

$language.ENGLISH.str2 = "You owe just %d more Gold Coins";

... and so on ... for all the known strings he sends to people.

When they change their language, with some lang command, you go:

$actor.$id.language = $users_new_language;

ELprintf("Your new language is %s", $users_new_language);

and so on

Just a minor observation:

When I type /iknow online , I get a list of bots online, not moderators although your help list states that moderators are the default.

well online points to a pre defined list of players this used to point to moderators online but i was asked to remove it because it meant that too many people where contacting moderators with general questions that are better answered on channel 1 or with #help_me. i just deleted the list and forgot to update the help message. If there is a list of people (not guilds) that you would like added to the bot just send me a list.

I'm in the middle of updateing the bot to store account information in a database instead of 8000 flat files There are that many files as it is now storeing information about when they where last online (it checks the who's online page every 15 minutes) and they where last seen by the bot (by going past the lakeside docks), i will add a whois command to show the guild when they where last online (or seen) and any other information.

Once i have the account managment information is in the database i will start implementing some of your ideas includeing the modifications ready for translations so if anyone wants to volunteer for this contact me and i'll give you the strings that i want translated. i will also have a command to cache stats pages for people that have privacy on and still want a combat level shown.