Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Cooldown log

Similar in style to my post back on page 5:

Alchemy:

Before the cooldown update, I had put ingredients in storage for some Magic Essence (slow to make items, almost not worth the effort). I wanted the Magic Essence (and some Energy Essence) to get vials for a poitoning run I was going to do (Cast Magic Immunity repeatedly while drinking mana potions).

Starting again with full food, I now wore a Power Saving Cloak while I mixed. Now, using the tip other people had suggested (Feasting Potions), I started mixing --> drinking --> repeat. In the time before when I would have made maybe 1.5 Magic Essenses, I can now make 5. I *almost* catch-up to the cooldown on a Feasting Potion after 5 Magic Essences, and am actually making it a personal game to see if I can't beat the clock.

As nice as this may seem now, I actually don't like this way of doing it - I mean, you'd think a high-level alchemist would think it nice to pop out essences like a PEZ dispenser, but I actually see it as a problem. Since people have figured out that for 10gc, you can make cooldown for manufacture a non-issue, and make stuff EVEN faster, for the same experience, how good is that? Now you have an even greater item flood potential, and still the same benefit for doing such.

I still haven't tried my previous idea of slaughtering skeletons for free potions. :)

i have to agree with everything arnieman said, and trying to make all the items befor the timer on the fp runs out is a fun game to play lol, i think it was silver bars that i was making that it was like a second waiting time it you was really fast lol

Another Cooldown Essay

I sat down and made some le's, just to see how they went. I used feasting pots. Before the cooldown, le's (and de's) were one of the slowest essences to make. I made 7 les before I had to eat, so I drank a feasting pot and fired out 8 more ess before I needed to eat again (think I had like 2 seconds left on the fp to cooldown).

I don't see how the cooldown has really helped? Like several others have said, this has actually increased production. The only thing I have seen it actually slown down is pk'ing and summoning.

The cooldown on the sr's is making it almost a non selling item anymore. Before the cooldown when I was on my summoning push (13 levels in 3 weeks (26-39)) I went through approximately 1k sr's a day (approx. 21k sr's for the whole 3 weeks). I was fortunate enough to have a good friend that was making them for me for the supplies and cost of wine (plus a tip for his time) Post-cooldown, I have barely gone through 400 sr's.

Same goes with he's. Before the cooldown I went through about 4-5k ess a week (maybe every 2 weeks). I had just over 5k he's when the cooldown took effect, I now have 3.8k he's.

Before the cooldown I went through alot of armor as well. Not all broken by the ogres I trained on, some due to my kindly donating it to =Hc= when I felt silly enough to run through KF. (When I halfway stood a chance of escaping). Now I barely use armor. The ogres don't break much (other than boots and a few pants), and I have entered KF once, long enough to see Minion and a few chims coming to greet me (I got out quickly).

As far as invasions go, I haven't been online during one since the cooldown, but tbh, I dunno if I feel froggy enough to go stand in a group of ogres now with the sr and diss ring cooldown.

Pre-cooldown I went through meat, bones, and wolf fur for summoning like mad. Think I spent just over 1 mil gold coins from the time the All Out War was announced, up to the cooldown (great money sink summoning WAS) Now, I sit on a stockpile of meat, bones, and wolf furs (NO, they aren't for sale).

I did borrow a mana helm from a friend to see if I could manage summoning that way. It gave me like 240 mana, which I had to take the time to fill up. I went and summoned 15 wolves before needing to refill mana, which was great, until I had to sit and fill my mana back up from almost 0.

So I tried going to the summoning god to use bones to mana (which imho the summoning god is a inconvinience where he is located now, and laggy to summon there). Well, bones to mana takes 50 bones to get 80 mana. You figure I had to fill up to 240 ep, meaning 150 bones for 3 bones to mana blessings. By the time I loaded up the 150 bones, I had no room for my summoning ingredients. (460 emu) Which meant now even more time trekking halfway across Whitestone to Slypho, then back to a storage to grab my supplires, then to go find a place out of the way to summon, then back to storage to get more bones for bones to mana, then back to Slypho...ARRRGGGH..Not the most fun time I spent.

So here I sit on my small, barely dwindling pile of sr's, he's and armor, and all my summoning supplies. The only thing I have managed to do without inconvienience since the cooldown is to pvp with my training partner.(the_antiroot) We have managed to get that down to a science, and are so close in stats that the sr cooldown doesn't hinder us, and we only need diss rings when one of us falls asleep while training :(.

So has the cooldown helped the market. IMHO, not really. I saw prices increase for a few days as people bitched and panicked, then when they discovered things were so much faster the prices dropped again.

Here's my impressions of the cooldown so far.

When I started playing EL, my goal was to have an all around jack of all trades as far as fighting, magic, alchemy and potions. For me to sit down and make 1k of anything is not something I ever want to do. Just too boring for me to do.

When the cooldown started, I was just starting to make iron bars with only one or two fails per 10 tries. Most of my alchemy time was spent makeing essence for my own use. The other night was my first essence sale to another, and that was for only 250 HE's. The only time I bought essence was in lots of 30 from Charn to cast remote heal at #beam me for magic experince.

As far as potions, I made batches of 30 Reasoning to sell to Mira to buy mana minor healings to use while fighting. When they were used up, I made more reasonings to sell.

It's hard to sell essences, no intrests for magic essences, and very low intrest for health essences ...

I would love to buy magic essence from other players, but there is no way I can afford to buy 1k of them at a time, at least with my style of playing of jumping from fighting to magic, to alchemy to potions about every half to one hour.

If they were sold in lots of 100, more lower level characters might buy that would offset the loss of big lot buyers.

The cooldown really hasn't affected me with my style of play. I just added Feasting pots when needed.

Everything has become more expensive with the cooldown, some people can't keep on doing stuff cause of the prizes like training for example..

a little calculation

1 training round i get like 450 gc from drops

30 Sr's used = 30x25= 750

something like 150 He's used= 150x8= 1200

450-1950= -1500

then you still need to replace broken or damaged armour which costs money too.

so you can't keep up training unless you decide to make the things you need yourself..

alot of players aren't interested in spending hours of gameplay in the mines to harv things and then make things yourself.

btw 200k for a life helm is way to expensive xd

at this price i don't think i will ever get one lol =\

U should do something with cool down time for diss rings...pk maps r empty now....=> no much fun.

Many(atleast like 50% of my guild mates e.g.) ppl left game already or play rarely like i do(i mean fighters dunno about others)

:(

Everything has become more expensive with the cooldown, some people can't keep on doing stuff cause of the prizes like training for example..

a little calculation

450-1950= -1500

so you can't keep up training unless you decide to make the things you need yourself..

alot of players aren't interested in spending hours of gameplay in the mines to harv things and then make things yourself.

for one, srs arent 25 gc, I have see some now for 15gc +vial so its not 750 gc. 2nd you dont use 150 HE for 30 sr, you only need 96, because 30 sr gives 24 restores, so its not 1.2k and as for the armor, not much breaks, only if you use leather pants and boots occasionally some shields and helms. And for the making your own part, it is easy to make HEs.

My experience with the cool-down:

First of all I am not some dumb kid bitching about how you ruined my life because you changed the game. I have been around the blocked played other games and yes was even a mod a few places. So Yes I know there is no free speech here. I have enforced this before other places..Fine. I appreciate everything that has been done for us. I even appreciate that this was tried to help the market BUT in my opinion it has not helped the market at all. You asked for this discussion I am not trying to cause trouble. Just voicing my opinion after trying it. I even gave it a fair shot before I voiced my opinion.

NOW to Business

First observation....From a Smiths point of view Armor and Weapons are at a all time low. I have not seen prices this low since I started playing. Making Advanced armor is no harder than before however making weak armor to lvl with is near impossible with out feasting pots. I found Ess making the same. I attempted to replenish my stock of HE's and stopped after 32 because it was ridicules with fruit.

This leads me to my other observation......Now I, who have dedicated my efforts to various fields (not being Pots) has to take up Pot making. I need my pick point for many skills that I am currently trying to improve but instead I have to waist them on a skill I would otherwise not be interested in.

Many would say "just buy feasting pots" Well with the demand and the prices of armor at an all time low since this "improvement", I am broke. I actually saw cruisses selling for 6k yesterday. Besides that no one is even buying.

Again I am not trying to bitch and cause problems just stating how I am effected. I have seen people in forum say how much fun it is with the new cool down BUT I have yet to hear a player in game who liked it or thought it an improvement. Maybe a little tweaking will make it work well I don't know but as it is now it has made it much less enjoyable for many me included. No I don't plan on quiting. Like I said I'm not some crying kid

a little calculation

450-1950= -1500

for one, srs arent 25 gc, I have see some now for 15gc +vial so its not 750 gc. 2nd you dont use 150 HE for 30 sr, you only need 96, because 30 sr gives 24 restores, so its not 1.2k and as for the armor, not much breaks, only if you use leather pants and boots occasionally some shields and helms. And for the making your own part, it is easy to make HEs.

for 15gc + vial.. then it's 20gc for one sr.. only 5gc difference so you still don't get more gc then you spend

ye it's easy to make He's with cooldown...

first you need to gather ingreds for feasting pots.. then make them.. then you need to get ingreds for He's and make em.

if you train a/d you need loads of He's so that's like one or more day's spending in the caves?

like i said alot of people aren't interested in making He's/Sr's themselves.

cooldown has effected me only negative, still don't understand why it got implemented :hiya:

Here are the effects that I've seen so far:

1) Feasting potions are almost a requirement if you want to make something in bulk. All the 'free' foods have such a long cooldown, that its just not practical. The one positive thing about this is that all these feasting potions from Mira take a bit of gc out of the game.

2) Summoning used to be very useful, because summoners took many LEs, ELEs, SRs, and animal items off the market. This was a very good money sink. Unfortunately, the SR cooldown is haveing a bad effect on the leveling. No positive thing here afaik.

3) Alchemy is faster. This has made some prices rise and others fall (HEs went up to 6-8, Magic ess went to around 8.5). I'm not quite sure whether this is helping or not.

4) The SR cooldown has made fighting a bit more dangerous. This results in more death. Now I know that dieing and losing items is technically good for the econemy (items leave the game with my db), but I'm almost certain that there is a better way.

5) Afaik, this has NOT helped manu, and may even have hurt it. No positives here.

6) The new magic items were a good idea, alot of gc leaves the game when just one is bought.

I'm not trying to complain, but what can I say? This is whats happening.

Edited by Dunian

I wish I had more playing time recently so I could have had more sweeping suggestions but here goes:

I have nothing to complain about regarding the cooldown. Yet.

I do have a suggestion for a tweak to it. This only affects the food sources.

Bring the food points way down for the sources of food. Bread 3, veggies 5, fruit 10 and meat 12 or 15. Then reduce the cooldown period to twice the number of seconds gained from that food. Not only do you need a LOT more food for production, but because of the cooldown times more complex products need more than one food item and therefore more time to wait in between products.

Or they can use a feasting potion that is set to current times and food values.

This reduces the penalty to new players where they are unable to do much with long cooldowns and low levels while experienced players are faced with the challenge of balancing resources with production.

I haven't gotten around to testing and thinking about the other items affected, but I figured this would be a good start.

Any thoughts?

experienced players are faced with the challenge of balancing resources with production.

experienced players would have a bag of food brought to them by a friend

Ok, cooldown was implemented to help the economy right?

Then why not remove cooldown on all items that people use, but keep cooldown on food.

This way demand will stay the same (get back to pre cooldown demand) but production will be more expensive (people have to buy feasting pots).

This will raise market prices and feasting pots will be a good money sink.

The problem with cooldown ATM is that production is more expensive but item demand is much lower too; this results in prices staying the same as they where before cooldown.

Ofcourse; the above would only raise prices of pots and essences...but still...

experienced players are faced with the challenge of balancing resources with production.

experienced players would have a bag of food brought to them by a friend

True, but it doesn't change the fact that for higher level items the times are still huge for the food intake needed while for the lower level items, the wait is much less.