Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Cooldown log

I have suggestions due to things that i've encountered with my secondary character.

Mira as major source of feasting pots is in an unsafe map - as a newbbie this is very hard for me since the map is unsafe 1/2 of the time. This is a thing that affects the newbie chances to make items. Gargoyles need a lot of experience/cash to be killed so this could be a major problem for a new player. Now is not only the sigils that he has to go and buy once for all in the beggining or some books is about regulate trips. If a player connects mainly in the WS nighttime - the situation is even harder. Due to the difficutly of #reset i don't think people won't think 2 times before they take the perk. Also i assume that the mm cape - player's monopoly would become even more expensive from now on.

There could be potential problems with populating the Desert Pines Map - a newbbie training map. Lone players used dp map (especially in the beggining of their EL lives) to alch, or pot, because it was a map where they could find most resources for most of the stuff, and why not because it had no monsters. A suggestion will be another potion seller in the Desert Pines Map or why not, IP map - this could avoid mass gathering/lag at Mira's stand - due to the fact that people will have 2 places to choose from and also thes could help us keep DP map active.

I've also noticed a problem in the encyclopedia - titanium axe need 7 not 6 manufacturing nexus to be made.

Regarding the EL economy

I have some observations - i'm sure that you have them in mind - but well i will post them because i think that finding a solution with these can help the market - for high-end items develop. I'm not for the idea of introducing tons and tons of new items - proably as underlined before there are new stuff to be introduced. But i think that stuff should be introduced when the economy is steady and an equilibrium is reached.

Except the issues mentioned by other people market is incapable to find an equilibrium also because:

- some B category items (from a scale F-A) are not manufactured - therefore the difference between the A and C is huge with no intermediary items. For instance titanium long sword. The drop rate is clearly affecting the price of these swords.

- the books are flooding the market - and instead of gc exit through the 5 booksellers - the market has more and more books (like hundrets of pot of feasting book). The books are keeping the gc on market and create the potential for inflation. And even if we talk about realism in game - i doubt it that gargoyles can read or have book in their bags.

- some B category items are not or rarely used - sun/stars/unicorn medallion - don't know why, maybe because moon medallion offers a very complex set of boots comparing with the other.

maybe a way to deal with the food cooldown could be if the food requred to make something is not a constant. if it depends on the time needed to make the item instead, higher level would give you some advantage. "you make items faster = you need less food" would be a good thing

Edited by kibora

why is everyone aiming for feasting potions?

go for cooked meat. either you cook it yourself on the camp fires all over the place (lit using a fire essence and some wood) or buy it from most inns and taverns. the cooldown is 20-25 for a meat, hardly noticable :whistle:

hmm, does it cost any more then a potion?

've read everything about the Cooldown and 90% of it is bitching..

WHY?

Why bitch about something that someone has done? Ent has taken a long time to make and get this game working, and he does 1 thing then you all sit there bitching about it.

PK'ers - Now would be a good time to TRAIN your Atk/Def levels. - And IF you wonna PK someone why not use Spells to your advantage? I mean god 99% of PK'ers have Magic over 40.. What Spell can you do at level 40? MANA DRAIN! So in PK fights why not use these sorts of Spells to your advantage, if someone has no Mana How can they Heal themselfs?

The only other thing people bitch about is Alchemy / Potions

Well, why don't Alchamists carry a few DIFFERENT types of Food, Maybe carry 20 Fest Pots, 10 Bread, and maybe 100 Fruit, that way when the Fruit/Bread is cooling down you can use a FeastPot, this way you'll be able to make things at the same pace as you normally could. And don't say it dosn't work because I made 200 DE in the same time, if not quicker than befor.

One last thing..

When someone makes a change why does everyone look on the Negative side of it and not the Positive? And don't say there is no Positive side to the CoolDown because everything has it's good & bad points.

You just need to find what they are and use them to your Advantage.

Well, that's my 2 cents.

Any comments?

Greets,

Woodeh

've read everything about the Cooldown and 90% of it is bitching..

The fact that Mira is in an UNSAFE map is not bitching. Is just that to be able to fight gargoyles or make them ignore you needs a lot of playing. You can't rely on the - day/night stuff - to buy feasting pots, i think. And we have to ensure a bit the same flow of needed food to newbbies as to developed chars.

As for other cooldown effects - like the speed to make some things - i think is just great. I mean really great.

And i've mentioned the cooldown existed before in EL - harvesting had a visible cooldown, learning books had also a visibile cooldown, so the cooldown only creates an equilibrium and a unitary way of playing the game.

Game "gc exits"

Crafting and manufacturing and potions are the only skills that ensure a flow of gc out of the game. We need more to keep an equilibrium.

Therefore maybe a ship travel tax - won't be a bad idea. I mean even in real life transportation services cost a lot. This thing could offer a constant gc exit and will ensure a better use of telerings (also ip ring) and spells. According to my calculation 50gc would be enough to travel form a port to another one - maybe a little more for antisocial players. Maybe a system of travel with variants - like "where do you want to go - Portland 90 gc, Whitestone 50 gc, Desert Pines 90 gc etc, Grubani 120 gc)

Also we can use a teleporter travel tax of 20gc - maybe it sounds stupid but wouldn't be so big deal "to place 20 gc in the fountain near teleporter blah, blah" to be able to use the WS teleporters.

Travel - on land or water can ensure a constant flow of gold coins exit on the map.

Also a priest audition tax won't be a big deal - i mean - you want an audition with the god's priest why not paying a tax for this at the entrance guard.

I have another idea - maybe is stupid - something like "Wondering Fool kharma issue". Let's say 2 NPC's one evil one good - somewhere, to whom you donate 20gc/per day. Each donation would contribute to your kharma. Not much but this could help in the future - if a thing like alignment would be introduced. Instead of using guild colors by the guild owners, maybe the color of the guild would be the result of that guild's total kharma. Like a guild with people that each has a +1000 kharma would have it's tag colored in white, while a guild in which the people have negative (each -1000 or more) kharma in red.

Maybe a thing could be implemented with the pk maps. People say that some just stay in a pk map and wait. And this prevents some people go there too. I mean maybe a pk map tax won't be a bad idea. Want to go in the pk map - pay the entrance guard - 200gc. This will keep newbbies out at least and the pk'ers won't lure them inside or pay the tax for them since the newbbie equipment is not worthing 200gc.

1 idea - PK collateral effects to reflect the community's reaction

The community often reacts hardly against the people that pk's a person. Maybe if a person that pk's someone else would become "pk'able on any map" for 1 hour would be a good adition. I mean this would reflect the community reaction and will be more real. I mean you kill someone you take the risk of beeing pk'ed too by others. Someone kills someone else takes also the risk of beeing attacked in the safe maps. Pk'ing a "pkable" person shouldn't change the current status. This would help also the pk'ers since they will gain more experience - and my of them asked for "beeing made pk'able" many times.

I'm not sure but Underwold could be more realistic and also ensure a "gc exit". I mean - you could pay some gc to exit from underwold. You don't have gc with you, harvest something there and sell it to a "skelleton that behaves like a junk buyer" - (offers very low prices for anything) to get out of from Underwold. For antisocial players the tax could be higher. I mean going to Underwold and the only thing wouldn't be to find your way out - could become more attractive.

Edited by Damned_Angel

Guest Distroille

I do not (yet) have strong feelings about how good or bad the cooldown is. One thing I see is that it generates a lot of micro-management now that you can't simply harvest a lot and alch a lot. And I don't dislike micro-management, as long as I have tools to help me with it.

I would love to see a feature allowing me to "group" certain items together, allowing me to retrieve all the components for, say, one Iron Bar with one click. I'd define a virtual package with 7 Iron Ores, 3 Coals and 2 FEs, save it within a special item group, and clicking on the icon would retrieve these components in one go.

What do you think of this ?

- some B category items are not or rarely used - sun/stars/unicorn medallion - don't know why, maybe because moon medallion offers a very complex set of boots comparing with the other.

I can't speak for sun or stars, but my guild frequently uses the unicorn medallions and prefer them to the moon for training/leveling purposes.

Well, why don't Alchamists carry a few DIFFERENT types of Food, Maybe carry 20 Fest Pots, 10 Bread, and maybe 100 Fruit, that way when the Fruit/Bread is cooling down you can use a FeastPot, this way you'll be able to make things at the same pace as you normally could. And don't say it dosn't work because I made 200 DE in the same time, if not quicker than befor.

Please go try this. It simply doesn't work. The use of any food type (yes the Feasting Potion is a food type) activates a cooldown on all the other food items. You claim you've tried it, I don't believe you have.

if you think the white stone map is unsafe now, you should have seen it when those gargoyles where active 24/7.

hell, i ran into my first gargoyle outside of the labyrinth just the other day while checking out the cooldown and dropping of some deer horns and skins in tirnwood vale.

a hint about quick travel between places in white stone, check out those blue spots on the map. they are teleports, and they are linked in a X mattern. that means that the one next to lakeside will take you right outside white stone city.

sure, there are some aggresive monsters in the white stone area, but they are few in numbers and the map is the biggest one there is (atleast on continent 1, i dont know about continent 2). its not like your faced by a gargoyle the moment you step of a boat. if one gets that close to the high traffic areas you can be sure that some high level will chase it back to where it came from.

i call FUD on your posts damned angel...

1 more plz seperate feast pot food cooldown from normal food cooldown :D plz plz.

Will make it more interesting cos then u have to calculate balance between the makeable items and feastpots food

1 more plz seperate feast pot food cooldown from normal food cooldown :D plz plz.

Will make it more interesting cos then u have to calculate balance between the makeable items and feastpots food

it would also be more realistic since a potion is a potion and not food... so the cooldown should be for a potion and not for both....

Well from my last post, I've had some time to adjust to the cooldown, and while I'm still not too thrilled about it, I am trying to deal with it for the month until improvements are implemented. As it stands, for me, the long cooldown times for veggies and fruits is ridiculous. During the past month, I've used them all the time to manufacture items for the guild I'm in (KotR), especially since I'm assigned as chief manufacturer for KotR. How can I manufacture items for the guild if it'll be much harder and tedious to gain levels to create better and stronger items?

Potions of Feasting are great, but there's one problem: I've never tried it yet. And I want to save my money for books in order to manufacture items for the guild, plus my Vegetal nexus and potion exp. are WAY too low to create Feasting Potions by myself. So that option is pretty much out the window for me. I don't have a problem with the book prices whatsoever, just for the record.

The best I could do in my current state is to slowly make FEs and bones powders (possibly pray for an EFE to sell), and harvest a LOT of stuff, even during non-exp. gaining times. Hopefully my OA will go up this way, but I imagine that by the time the month is over, I'll gain maybe two levels, which won't be enough for the Vegetal nexus for me yet. So I've been thinking of suggestions to offer, since I'm not a PKer and want to specialize in manufacturing.

- reduce the cooldown time for fruits and veggies, even if it's 30 seconds instead of a minute, while buyable foods and cooked meats are a bit shorter, like 15 or 20 seconds.

- if that isn't reduced, shave a little of the food level penalties from making popular items like essences. The harder items can remain the same, but some items like Feasting Potions, HEs, FEs, and so on are still popular despite the cooldown. Ok, ok, an FE's penalty is low anyway, so that's no big deal. *sweatdrop*

- reduce the nexus needed for Feasting Potion if it's going to explode in production

- if a person had a higher overall, it could speed up the cooldown time compared to someone with a terribly low overall. For example, if there were 60 seconds on everything and someone had a 5 OA, they could reduce the cooldown by 5%, making it 57 seconds. I'm at 39, so I could shave 39% off the 60 seconds, making my cooldown wait be 36 seconds. Of course there could be a limit to this, like if you reach a minimum of 10 seconds after a lot of dedicated leveling, it'll remain at 10 seconds no matter what levels you have. And I imagine that getting a 100 overall would be VERY hard to do anyway, so a 100% reduction would be unlikely. It would give reason for newbies to dedicate time into EL instead of being overwhelmed and feeling hopeless about gaining levels.

I know it isn't much from me since I'm not into PKing and everything that's being discussed here. I guess I'm still kinda new, even if I've been here for a month, so I haven't gone into such detail like everyone has been doing here for strategies. I don't plan on quitting this game, despite the large cooldown time, since I can still harvest a ton of stuff for KotR's better manufacturing members. Plus quitters get ignored, and I don't want to be ignored.

Edited by Benit149

I did b4 cooldown bring 840 flower prox 410 fruits + spare pick ..

I now tried 2 trips on HE:

1. brougth 710 flower 100 wine + stuff for feast pot 25 extra feast pot, way too many flowers left :P

2. Adjusted to 25 extra feast pot + 112 wine + what needed for 112 feastpot + 34 extra fruit and i brougth 630 flower got like 625 HE back burned some of to use mana and 160 matteress,

Soo that bad it aint! Ess just need some more expences now to be made and i got like 25% less HE nothing to cry over.

BUT if NO 4 vegetal hmm poor guys.

Soo stackable would be nice but better seperated from food on cooldown.

Comment on Dammage ring:

I hear dmgring have long cooldown time too(didnt test my self).

I did though atemt test cooldown on teleportring (they have to be used to test it( was a wsc ring i had 1 in invertory test spoiled ??? ;)

A typicial figth with me and 1 of the strong enemys i had!, i used like 30-40 dmgrings if i was lucky it only added to that i won figth, to enemys death it never or almost never leaded, with market price like 80 gc on a dmgring its like 2.4-3.2K wasted on a doubtfully advantage, depending what look u have at spending 2-3K to win a figth, no drop cos enemy dis b4 death run/teleport.

Soo if i actualy almost STOPPED 100% use dmgrings way too expencive to use, i did thou use some in rare figths, especial if foe have geletine:)

Soo 1 dmg every 10-20 sec what cooldown time now r or if it block for dissrings makes it 99% useless(my oppion).

Alternative to Food Cool-Down

How about we put an expiry on the food itself?

while the idea is nice' date=' it would require a total rework of the current storage and inventory code. basicly what your describing is health for items.[/quote']

this have allready been debated for weapons and armor, and the same reason was given for why it cant be done unless there is a massive rework of part of the game...

the most visible change would be that each item that have a health counter could not stack. basicly all foods (maybe outside of the feasting potion) would require a slot in the inventory. you think todays system is bad? im not sure that it would be any better with that change...

Thank you for even noticing my post in this sea of posting ;)

I admit I know absolutely nothing of programming, but what about the system that exsits for bags left on the ground? After a certain time they disappear - unless of course they are refreshed. Now this is a bit of a stretch, so bear with me:

Could it be possible to harvest a food into a bag that goes into our inventory (yes, a bag within a bag), that bag then disappears after a set time regardless of wether or not it's refreshed?

So, instead of creating health bars for food, just borrow, or piggy back food expiry with bag disappearance, then the bag dissappears within your inventory. (I know there's a term for this, but it escapes me atm). Well, thats the spirit of the idea, perhaps mechanically, what I'v said doesn't make too much sense.

Well from my last post, I've had some time to adjust to the cooldown, and while I'm still not too thrilled about it, I am trying to deal with it for the month until improvements are implemented. As it stands, for me, the long cooldown times for veggies and fruits is ridiculous. During the past month, I've used them all the time to manufacture items for the guild I'm in (KotR), especially since I'm assigned as chief manufacturer for KotR. How can I manufacture items for the guild if it'll be much harder and tedious to gain levels to create better and stronger items?

Potions of Feasting are great, but there's one problem: I've never tried it yet. And I want to save my money for books in order to manufacture items for the guild, plus my Vegetal nexus and potion exp. are WAY too low to create Feasting Potions by myself. So that option is pretty much out the window for me. I don't have a problem with the book prices whatsoever, just for the record.

The best I could do in my current state is to slowly make FEs and bones powders (possibly pray for an EFE to sell), and harvest a LOT of stuff, even during non-exp. gaining times. Hopefully my OA will go up this way, but I imagine that by the time the month is over, I'll gain maybe two levels, which won't be enough for the Vegetal nexus for me yet. So I've been thinking of suggestions to offer, since I'm not a PKer and want to specialize in manufacturing.

- reduce the cooldown time for fruits and veggies, even if it's 30 seconds instead of a minute, while buyable foods and cooked meats are a bit shorter, like 15 or 20 seconds.

- if that isn't reduced, shave a little of the food level penalties from making popular items like essences. The harder items can remain the same, but some items like Feasting Potions, HEs, FEs, and so on are still popular despite the cooldown. Ok, ok, an FE's penalty is low anyway, so that's no big deal. *sweatdrop*

- reduce the nexus needed for Feasting Potion if it's going to explode in production

- if a person had a higher overall, it could speed up the cooldown time compared to someone with a terribly low overall. For example, if there were 60 seconds on everything and someone had a 5 OA, they could reduce the cooldown by 5%, making it 57 seconds. I'm at 39, so I could shave 39% off the 60 seconds, making my cooldown wait be 36 seconds. Of course there could be a limit to this, like if you reach a minimum of 10 seconds after a lot of dedicated leveling, it'll remain at 10 seconds no matter what levels you have. And I imagine that getting a 100 overall would be VERY hard to do anyway, so a 100% reduction would be unlikely. It would give reason for newbies to dedicate time into EL instead of being overwhelmed and feeling hopeless about gaining levels.

I know it isn't much from me since I'm not into PKing and everything that's being discussed here. I guess I'm still kinda new, even if I've been here for a month, so I haven't gone into such detail like everyone has been doing here for strategies. I don't plan on quitting this game, despite the large cooldown time, since I can still harvest a ton of stuff for KotR's better manufacturing members. Plus quitters get ignored, and I don't want to be ignored.

Ummm go buy feasting pots from mira if you don't have the veg nex to make them yourself??

Greetings, all.

I don't post much in the forums, because mostly I play. (Thank you ent ). These are my thoughts on the cooldown after working with it for a couple of days. Warning: long post, including possible other fixes that need to be thought about....

If one either has the skill/money to use feasting potions in storage, there is really no bigt effect. However, if you want to or must use food, the only reasonable way to make things from mined items is to bring other items and cooked meat and mine a little/mix a little (emphasis on little lol). My feeling is that this is a little slower than before, but not hugely. Conversely, I went through with my low level alt char, and this makes a HUGE difference for her...she cannot make enough money to continue even a slow steady increase in skills. (See market stratification below). With the lower manu times for items, this makes the gap even wider for those who can afford feasting potions.

However, I (main char) am much less inclined to buy supplies from low level players now than before. It is almost as slow to alch/manu in storage with any actual food item as with mining and alching. So why spend the extra money? This will likely increase the gap between higher and lower level players. It was already difficult to make enough money doing things to advance as low level player. Now it seems as though it will be more difficult since there is less incentive for higher players to buy raw materials from lower level players. There will definitely need to be some tweaking to food cooldown times to fix this issue. There was in my opinion already too little stratification in the market. My feeling is that this is the reason ppl were complaining about market prices. If you harvest and make all ingreds, there was always plenty of money to be made. But if someone wanted to help lower players and buy raw materials, the prices on final items was too low to make money. Without market stratification, the gap between lower level players and higher level players will do nothing but grow.

Since FE is one of the few things that can be made in storage with no significant loss, this will also likely increase the glut of FE on the market. So more players sell to magic shop, thus increasing gc coming into circulation. ( And my understanding is that part of the point is to increase gc sinks, not increase gc coming into economy).

It also seems to me that as cooldown is now, there is less reason for people to work together in manufacturing and alch, as it will be equally slow either way. This is IMO, the biggest problem. This change is a change against building community that is such a fantastic part of EL.

It seems to me that the more direct way to fix the market problem (if this is, as I have heard) is to decrease the required number of items to raise levels by increasing exp per item. I know this will also come as part of cooldown, but it seems to me that this is the primary reason for market glut, not the secondary, as it is being approached here. I am not an obsessive leveller, but want to be competent in my chosen fields, and am forced to make many, many , many items in order to increase a level without losing massive amounts of money.

Hoping this provides good insight for all,

Tigs

Edited by Tigs

another pk experience:

i walked down the pk cave, lagged out came back on everything was cooling down and suddenly i got pk'ed and died, there was nothing i could do..

but Fireballs gave all the items back so that was nice of him ;)

another pk experience:

i walked down the pk cave, lagged out came back on everything was cooling down and suddenly i got pk'ed and died, there was nothing i could do..

but Fireballs gave all the items back so that was nice of him ;)

Good point :P If you log on the items cooldown immediatley from the start, maybe this shouldn't be?

Ummm go buy feasting pots from mira if you don't have the veg nex to make them yourself??

hmmm u dont get it do u?? they r not stackable!!! 35-36 each trip to mira hmmmm

Yes Don, I do know they aren't stackable, but the way he was talking was that he couldn't use them at all because he couldn't make them. Find a friend or get the guild together , have 5 or 6 people haul 35 back to storage at a time and you have plenty in stock, until they make them stackable. (which i do remember entropy saying they might do.)

Because they aren't stackable may mean that you may need to go mine your ores and store them then sit at storage to make whatever you are making, instead of the old way of taking stuff to the ore..

Doc..use bread or cooked meat when making feasting pots..that's what i did

Edited by LadyWolf

Even if you make them, you have to make feasting pots USING FEASTING POTS!!! Which means your actual production rate of them IS ABOUT A HALF!!

Make 5, drink 1. That's not half.