Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Cooldown log

So, this is what I am trying today in response to cooldown:

Instead of sitting at a storage alching, which I used to do if I wanted to make alchemy items, I carry around the materials for about 50 HE all the time.

MAPWALKING:

If I am walking across a map, I make sure to eat every time the cooldown expires. When my food is full, I stop and make 5 HE. Then I continue to eat and walk. For long walks, this works well because it gives me something to do while walking instead of just staring at my map or F1 screen. :icon13:

ALCHEMY & HARVESTING:

Also, instead of just sitting and harvesing fruit/titanium, which are my main sources of income, I take HE supplies with me and make them as I harvest. That is, I eat every time the cooldown expires. When my food is full, I stop and make 5 HE. Then I repeat until I'm full of titanium/fruit, walk to sell the harvested materials (using the scheme above), get more HE supplies as needed, and repeat.

OVERALL GAMEPLAY CHANGES:

My main goal in the game now is to always have cooldown expiring. I am trying to combine activities to reduce repetitiveness and use my time and resources efficiently.

Tomorrow, I will test out a different skill.

~Tanyia

Edited for format consistency.

Edited by Tanyia

So, this is what I am trying today in response to cooldown:

Instead of sitting at a storage alching, which I used to do if I wanted to make alchemy items, I carry around the materials for about 50 HE all the time.

MAPWALKING:

If I am walking across a map, I make sure to eat every time the cooldown expires. When my food is full, I stop and make 5 HE. Then I continue to eat and walk. For long walks, this works well because it gives me something to do while walking instead of just staring at my map or F1 screen. :icon13:

ALCHEMY & HARVESTING:

Also, instead of just sitting and harvesing fruit/titanium, which are my main sources of income, I take HE supplies with me and make them as I harvest. That is, I eat every time the cooldown expires. When my food is full, I stop and make 5 HE. Then I repeat until I'm full of titanium/fruit, walk to sell the harvested materials (using the scheme above), get more HE supplies as needed, and repeat.

OVERALL GAMEPLAY CHANGES:

My main goal in the game now is to always have cooldown expiring. I am trying to combine activities to reduce repetitiveness and use my time and resources efficiently.

Tomorrow, I will test out a different skill.

~Tanyia

Edited for format consistency.

I was thinking about this too... it may be the only way for 1 person alone to make HEs without using Potions of Feasting. I even increased my EMU to be able to carry ingreds for HEs and SRs around. I'm almost sure that teamwork will enable more efficient ways, but I still haven't figured what exactly....

And about mana issues, I think I'll make tons of minor mana potions that can't fail so I hit a few Extra Manas...

I also think the times are too much. For the SRs, it means that in PK someone who has better stats and/or better equipment, will almost surely win. As for the food, I think we will have to make LOTS of feasting, and meat prices will rise very much. So manufacturing will be more strategic, but fighting isn't.

Erm..

I have been with EL since the days when we celebrated 50players online, trough the big crash, etc etc, and as Ent and Roja know, never really bitched :icon13:..

I won't do it now either, for one simple reason, there is nothing to bitch about.

Thing about cooldown is really ok, perhaps, well ok, not perhaps, i do think that food cooldown should be reduced, by 10-15 seconds, as for other things, it's not that bad, adds a lot more strategy to the game, and definitly requires much more team work on pk maps, which is very nice..

Neagive side of it, is that it will make the PK actions and fighting actions in general a lot more less popular..

But seeing the invasions going on every night (which is the BEST thing happening) that kind of compensates for it, so it's not bad!

Actually, cooldown did one very good thing to the invasion events, we used to have a lot of ppl with a lot of diss rings, who just dissed from monsters and looted db's from ppl, now those players won't really have the chance to do that again :) which is nice.

No more massproduction - nice also!

No more n00bs (Bep) killing cycs with tit longs and wasting 5 SRs per one, just to steal them from me :(.. - EVEN NICER!

I think main problem of the players that bitched is the fact they didn't give them selfs time to see how it really works... I did a bit testing on test server, and knew what to expect more or less, so i kind of tuned in some new strategies for playing, i adopt and adjust to the game.. Others should 2..

My 2 cents

i read the forum 1st and wasnt happy with what i was reading and had a fealing i would want to leave after this too, but i decided to try it out and make up my mind from that and its really not as bad as everyone is makeing out especially if they make the feasting potions stackable, dont cut your nose's off to spite your face i think because its not that bad, certainly not worth stopping playing for or getting a ban from the forum for ..... so just COOL DOWN everyone ;-)

Edited by weaselturd

For the SRs, it means that in PK someone who has better stats and/or better equipment, will almost surely win.

I don't get why this is a problem...I would expect that somebody with better stats and better equipment WOULD win.... :icon13:

For the SRs, it means that in PK someone who has better stats and/or better equipment, will almost surely win.

I don't get why this is a problem...I would expect that somebody with better stats and better equipment WOULD win.... :blink:

Yes, but then where is the strategy? The cooldown is a good idea, because it can gve more strategy, not just restore-drink etc., but with this high cooldown times, you die before you can do anything. But, for the good part of it, will counts more in pk this way.

im guessing cooldown times will be adjusted, in time. first entropy want to see if people can think around the new "problems" rather then just request changes because they cant use the same conditioned resonses that they have developed after months of playing.

people hate to think it seems :blink: (yep i know its inflamatory, but sometimes it have to be said. feel free to edit it away if needed)

what ent want to do is sift thru to the stuff that need adjusting as no matter of thinking and adjusting of play patterns make the problem "go away".

personaly i have gone back to eating cooked meat rather then fruit and vegies. why? more food pr item, and not that hard to get hold of (taverns or a bit of hunting and manual labor. deers&boars produce 3 meat pr kill). oh and the cooldown on the item is definetly shorter then on the others.

that vegies and fruit where harvestable was a bit of a stupidity, one that i have talked about in many threads. basicly they gave to much food compared to the effort needed to gather them. with the cooldown this balances out as they have a higher cooldown and therefor loose some of the effectiveness that they ones had.

Gonna try to reserve opinions for the full month.

Anyway, here's what I've already tried.

Harvesting/Alchemy/Manufacture together:

I got a pile of coal and FE, and went into NC south cave. Grabbed some fruit, and went to the iron.

Anyway, I started with full food, harvested till I could make 2 iron bars. made them, ate. pattern used: Eat, manu until out of food/iron ore, harv until cooldown expire. I had enough ingreds to make one s2e. Slightly longer to make the sword, but quite a challenge, and not that much different than before.

Another thing I'm attempting: slaughtering skeletons when I can - they drop feast pots. :blink:

Hello all!

Reading these posts made me conclude that many players live in disbelief. As I see it, the changes were introduced because of game-balance issues, not "reality-adjustments", as some like to call it. It makes me laugh when people say that with cooldown the game is more realistic. How realistic can a game be where it takes 20 times more to eat an apple than to make a leather pants. Lol.

Anyway, DEVS, I deeply appreciate your efforts to improve the game and I really just don't understand why people are whining.

Beside this, I would like to point out just on thing (Ent - don't read this before January, i only write it down 'cause i'll forget it if i have to wait a month :doze: ), namely, there seems no point keeping fruits and veggies non-storable. Storing these items would not provide such huge benefits than previously. Yeah, they would help making feasting potions faster. (No, i am not a potionist - Actually I am kinda' retired :blink: )

Keep up the good work guys.

Ok, here is something that I have found that is...maybe not a problem, but quite annoying time wise. Summoning. I just got level 39 summoning yesterday before I went to work. Left me 111k till lvl 40 (and that joyous drop in xp). The cooldown took effect while I was at work, and I only logged in for a bit last night to see how things looked. This morning however I decided to try summoning.

I summon boars, for the fact I can carry more ingreds for boars.(lack of the weight of a fur). I can normally carry enough stuff for 30 boars (120 meat,90 bones,60 le's, and 20 sr's, and my conjourers cloak, and 20-30 food). Normally I can summon those 30 boars in under 2 minutes, and be on my way back to storage for another trip. I usually get 4 boars summoned then have to drink 3 sr's to fill my mana up again. Pre-update no big deal, click,wait a second, click, wait a second, click, then I'm back to summoning.

Well today I summoned 4 boars, clicked 1 sr, and waited 22 seconds, clicked another sr, waited 22 seconds, clicked a third sr, and was back to summoning.

Summoning (once lvl 20 and higher) was extremely slow and rather "boaring" (pun intended), before the update took place. Now, I just don't know if I have the patience to go for lvl 40 at the rate it now takes to get 1 round of 30 boars summoned.

One thing I could suggest would be to lower the amount of mana that is consumed per summoned creature. I think that by doing this, it would allow you to get more creatures summoned before having to stop and refill your mana, thus evening out the time to close to what it was before.

Another thing was the food. I have power hungry, and I'm not keen on resetting again to get rid of it. So I decided to take feasting pots, which is not easy to do because they aren't stackable. I managed, but barely.

This is not meant to be bitching, only what I have observed in my chosen skill. If the mana consumption can be tweaked, and feasting pots made stackable, I think summoning will be ok. Thanks for your time.

**I've played this game just shy of a year, and I have to say I'm far to addicted to it to just walk away over this change. I'm willing to hang in there for the testing month and try to help reach a happy medium we can all live with. Leaving is not going to help solve anything.**

Edited by LadyWolf

I agree. This game still rocks. Thank you #devs for all the work you have put into it. I like some of the suggestions here, and I like the more realistic nature of cooldowns. I know I cannot eat a 3 whole apples in 3 seconds, let alone 3 minutes without being sick. I am now plotting my strategy to cope with all of this.

Re: antisocials, you can always buy from players or Adarah (once I get her working properly again, sigh)

-Awn

edited for spelling errors. dumb keyboard!

Edited by Drakos7

Overall the idea of a coundown system is a good one but in my opinion the times need a lot of tweeking. i would suggest that no countdown should be more than 30 seconds with the average being around 10 seconds for each type. for example i think countdowns of fruit should be 30 or 20 seconds.

Perhaps it might be better to reduce significantly the food countdown and increase the contdown for manufacturing items so they are more closely matched

In my opinion it would be a good idea to compensate people for this extra work required in alchemy/crafting/manufacturing/potion makeing by ajusting the experience curves so it is easyer to gain levels. One of the percieved problems with the economy is there is too much mass production haveing a countdown system solves this by makeing it far slower to make items and therfore mass produce them but if you ajust the experience gained or ajust the curves so you require less experience there will not be as much of a need to mass produce these items. if implemented correctly it should allow people to spend an equivelent ammount of time gaining levels than before ths countdown system but removeing mass production of items,

Think of the economy as a bath that is being filled with water and is about to overflow. there are two ways of stoping it you can ether turn the tap and slow the flow of money in curculation or you can pull out the plug and try and take money out of curculation. This reduces the flow of money and may increase the demand for items being bought from npc's if people turn to buying potions of feasting from mira. alternatly you ajust the experience system you will reduce the need for this mass production of items in the first place.

i go play warcraft.... is too boring..... :blink:

entropy u find me on europe pvpgn......if u wanna fight me( we talk in game)

The main thing that affects me atm is the HEs making. i tryed making a couple and i think i would rather buy them from a magic shop than try to make them at this ratio. maybe if every type of food (vegies, fruits, meat) has it's own cooldown it would be ok. but with a shared cooldown i wouldn't make my own HEs. i have 3k HEs in storage which should be enough for 1-2 weeks but after that ... i don't know

This brings another issue. No new player can't even think of becoming top 50 in the skills that require food. And potion of fiesting is not a solution. It requires raw meat. Raw meat usually goes for 5-6 gc and now it would become even more expensive.

Another problem for me woulf be SRs. i am not planing on making pots so i will have to buy them. so if the SRs were 15-20 + vial until now they will now become 20-25+vial and well you can buy SRs from Mira for 26 gc each. And i'm not saying that you should make the Mira prices higher :blink:

Also i don't think that the current system would help to stabilize the prices on the market. It would surely increase the price of things like HEs and SRs but other things like plate armor, cuisses, etc. will remain the same because you don't need to mass produce them.

I decided to try polishing emeralds to view the cool down times.I got set up at Raven with the stuff,veg and 5 feast pots in inv.I saw i needed food so ate a veg.Cool down in effect on veg and feast pots seemed to be the same time.Polished some emeralds,needed food so waited.Veg and feast pots were available for use at the same time.I changed tactics.Drank a feast pot and started polishing while watching the pot,veg cool down time.It appeared that the veg now had a faster cooldown time tied to the feast pot timer.

I got more pots at Mira and made some life ess.Same method.Eat a veg,make stuff while watching the veg and feast pot for availability.Then drink a pot,make stuff while watching veg and pots.It seemed to have the same result. I did'nt actually time it but it looked like when a feast pot is drunk the veg timer is at the same speed and becomes available at the same time.Appeared to become available for use faster than if a veg is eaten.

I'm not really clear how this is supposed to work.I had thought different cooldown times I could eat a veg then opt to use a potion,then switch again as items became available for use again.If i'm wrong in my observation ,then sorry for the post.

I don't get why this is a problem...I would expect that somebody with better stats and better equipment WOULD win.... :blink:

Yes, but then where is the strategy? The cooldown is a good idea, because it can gve more strategy, not just restore-drink etc., but with this high cooldown times, you die before you can do anything. But, for the good part of it, will counts more in pk this way.

Strategy should come in when two players of similar levels meet up in combat. But if somebody with way better stats and equipment fights a way lesser player, he should win unless a freak of nature event happens to make it otherwise. That's just absurd to think otherwise and was a serious flaw in combat imo.

im guessing cooldown times will be adjusted, in time. first entropy want to see if people can think around the new "problems" rather then just request changes because they cant use the same conditioned resonses that they have developed after months of playing.

people hate to think it seems :doze: (yep i know its inflamatory, but sometimes it have to be said. feel free to edit it away if needed)

It seems like the problem is everybody wants to make the game "like it was". Well that isn't going to happen. Changes need to be made, and for all of you who complain about that and say you like it the way it was, I'm sorry but it is NOT a balanced game as it is now. This issue WILL be addressed in one way or another, there WILL be change, and this is the change of the month. We try it, we log our results and observations, and we see what works and what doesn't. We are trying to get rid of the mindless leveling, the having no further goals than "one more level" doing the same old thing, the serious imbalance of the skills, and the economy. One change will not fix it all, we don't claim that, but this IS one step in many to create a better all around game.

I bet you any new player coming in would not think anything at all about this...of course he or she will hear all the whining going on and wonder, but barring that, this wouldn't be the huge "catastrophe" you all are making it out to be to him. *shrugs*

All that was asked of you was to try it, don't bitch, and post your observations, AND then you are free in one month to state your objections and approvals.

I decided to try polishing emeralds to view the cool down times.I got set up at Raven with the stuff,veg and 5 feast pots in inv.I saw i needed food so ate a veg.Cool down in effect on veg and feast pots seemed to be the same time.Polished some emeralds,needed food so waited.Veg and feast pots were available for use at the same time.I changed tactics.Drank a feast pot and started polishing while watching the pot,veg cool down time.It appeared that the veg now had a faster cooldown time tied to the feast pot timer.

I got more pots at Mira and made some life ess.Same method.Eat a veg,make stuff while watching the veg and feast pot for availability.Then drink a pot,make stuff while watching veg and pots.It seemed to have the same result. I did'nt actually time it but it looked like when a feast pot is drunk the veg timer is at the same speed and becomes available at the same time.Appeared to become available for use faster than if a veg is eaten.

I'm not really clear how this is supposed to work.I had thought different cooldown times I could eat a veg then opt to use a potion,then switch again as items became available for use again.If i'm wrong in my observation ,then sorry for the post.

Veggies have a higher cooldown period than feasting pots. It's the time that the food you ate needs that counts, so if you eat a veggie (cooldown time 50 seconds), it will take 50 seconds till the next foodconsumption will be possible. Feasting pots need less time (don't know how much by heart yet), so after using a feasting pot you have to wait a shorter time.

If you eat a veggie, 50 seconds need to pass. Since feasting pots have a shorter cooldown time themselves, their counter starts later but ends at the same time, because the veggie is what counts at that moment (you ate a veggie).

It would be more clear if the counter (and i mean the red/blue circle) for all items in a group would start counting right after you use one of the items, but my guess is that all counters go at the same speed because of programming-reasons so one has to start later than the other.

No idea if this is even remotely clear to anyone, can't explain it better.

0ctane's continued experience,

So, I spent last night just harvesting and fighting skeles (like I predicted, funny, huh?). But one thing I found out of place concerning a cooldown. I often take a potion of will and reason with me to harvest (just to get a few extra exp). I consumed the first, but then had to wait to consume the other. Why? To control someone taking ten healing pots all at once, I can understand a cooldown. But, if I take ten potions of will, the effect is not cumulative, right? For those "let's make this more realistic" folks, it really does not take that long to take a shot. Maybe these potions taste really bad and we have to cooldown to prevent barfing. :blink: Yeah, that would be a good explanation for potion cooldown. Maybe ROLAIDS can be put into the next update to reduce cooldown times. Or harvesting of magnesium. :doze:

I do agree with that food vs leather manu cooldown comment. Not too balanced. While I do not manu clothes/armor, I hope your comment doesn't make them raise the time for that.

Oh, and cooldown gives me more time to chat with guildies. That is a bonus. But, I feel sorry for the introverts.

About BBQ:

Now that it came to my knowledge that cooked meat have a lower cooldown than other kinds of food, I'd like to try and make my HE's eating a nice BBQ. As such, could the various fireplaces around the maps, like the one in Morcraven, be activated? I only know of 2 active ones: the beam, and the one near Brogan, in Portland.

Thank you :blink:

EDIT: spelling

Edited by Ornitorrinco

ok i just had a run in with hardcore toomass and matess in arena i went in and attacked hardcore and he diss'd me then toomass attacked me i fought as long as i could then diss'd and matess attacked me i managed to hold off long enough to get one sr used and restored once then i had nothing to do but watch my health go down to nothing while i watched the little timers on the items. i can see no strategy to overcome this so i guess i won;t be able to fight anymore for now. i am sorry i don;t have any numbers or statistics for this it kinda happened really fast.