Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Cooldown log

Damned_Angelery good points, Damned_Angel.

I guess we might make the feasting potion stackable.

The fact that players buy it from Mira is good, because that means we have some additional exit points for gold.

Damned_Angelery good points, Damned_Angel.

I guess we might make the feasting potion stackable.

The fact that players buy it from Mira is good, because that means we have some additional exit points for gold.

Ty Ent

I have another thing to add.

Coodown existed in EL - Harvesting is a skill that had the cooldown - at least from the time i started to play. Only it wasn't visible - with the new feature by players. So harvesting did not need any modifications so i think that was a good choice.

But we have to consider that there are 2 types of skills atm in EL - SRP dependent and Food Dependent (i've chosen SRP but you can say mana dependent too)

We have summoning, fighting, magic - that are SRP Dependent (harvesting can be included due to healing needs)

Crafting, Potions, Alchemy, Manufacture - that are Food Dependent

The question that i ask myself is if the IInd category skills can produce enough to sustain the first category skills - at least with some critical items as SRS and health essences.

Maybe if the food consumption of the "most used consumables" will be reduced or a perk (offered by cloak) similar with the Conjurer perk will me implemented, the market wouldn't be that steady. Well that can be some solution for tunning if the cooldown times will remain the same

Edited by Damned_Angel

I do not think the cool down is so bad. You can get a feasting pot from mira for 10 gc, and if you make HE, that is 5 HE each feasting pots, and atm, it is 5 gc each for HE, not sure of prices after this update, so maybe a little more. Then you would gain 25 gc from a feasting pot and you can buy 2 more, so really you gain money by buying feasting pots. Also, if some havent noticed, everything manuable is only 2 sec to make so you do not have to wait so long if you are making plate to see if you fail or not. That is for me..i always switch to a different window when i am making something expensive that takes a long time to make because felt that i got luckier by that way :D

From a playability standpoint, that's not so good. Playing this game requires a lot of repetitiveness, and to add periods of nothing to that is distressing.

Additional thoughts:

It is my understanding that two different issues are being addressed by the cooldown- the manu/crafting market deflation, and the predictability/easy of fighting/hunting. They are different issues, so I will address them individually.

Market: As I said earlier, slowing the game down in the immediate time domain is bad- it makes for boring. Slowing it down in the day-long time domain is much better. So how about if the following was implemented:

Manu: You can only use as many EFEs per week as you have 10s of points of manu; in the 30's? Then 3. The 40's? Then 4. Maybe twice that number- the quantity can be decided.

Crafting: You can only make as many magic items as your level in crafting, per day. Crafting 42? 42 dis rings then you're chilled until midnight. Maybe twice that number- the quantity can be decided.

One of the good things about this system is that people can still work on leveling w/o experiencing pure agony, yet the flood of expensive armor and weapons will be greatly reduced.

Fighting: I rather like the cool-down the way it is for fighting- potions and magic items only. In fact, I can report that it has changed my behavior to the point that I died already. No complaints- I was trying to overly conserve mana and got caught. I think that the challenge that the cooldown presents here is healthy and interesting, rather than boring.

All IMHO

scafativ

Edited by scafativ

0ctane's experience (pun intended) so far....

First off, I was quite surprised to see the cooldown go into effect today. Guildmates had been warning of it for the past two days. My food level was low from last night, and I was out of fruit, so I harvested a bit, ate, tried to eat again and was 1) interested that the feature was implemented, and 2) annoyed that my food level was only 15 and I would have to wait a minute. What to do....

Well, the next hour was 45 minutes away, so I would not get any harvest experience. HEs, which gave the best exp vs manufacture time IMO, were not so attractive anymore since food drain by HEs is much faster than the cooldown effect. Same with MEs. Oh, and LEs too. Lets try MatterEs. Nope. Okay, found two. FEs and WEs you can still mass produce within the cooldown, sorta.

Lately I thought I should improve my fighting skills. Since I am a low level fighter, I have been going after goblins and skeletons. Lately, these spawns have been packed with other people trying to also level up. So, while there is no cooldown if you are fighting at your level, there is not really anything to fight. For me, other than harvesting titanium for ten minutes until I hit the time/exp limit, the biggest bang for the buck (so to speak) is fighting these gobs and skeles. Maybe this cooldown thing has made a lot of people leave, because my usual hunting ground is empty now. But, I suspect many people will turn to fighting rather than sitting on their duffs alch/manuing and waiting for the cooldown. Oop, not empty anymore. Need to find something else to do now.

Writing this has given my character plenty of time to cooldown between chows.

And that radiation damage thing is pretty nasty. Can we start manufacturing geiger counters?

I think the cooldown is probably a good thing. However, as the multitude of edited comments showed, you might have wanted to implement it at the same time as a bonus feature...like geiger counters. :lol: More seriously though, maybe more lower level monster hunting grounds? Or balance the radiation damage with more blessing from MN? Everything in moderation...or at least balanced. Well, new hour. Time for my 10 minutes of harvesting...then to ponder what to do for the next 50 minutes.

I believe many people do not understand what it is meant for, and I personally and almost every other player I talk to has found it an unnescassary even unwanted addition. And dont misunderstand this to be just bitching, I wanted to make sure that the dev team understood a large majority of us would like to be able to contribute more input to the process of added features. I understand that you open topics for discussion, however the underlying feeling among the community is that despite our opinions, you do what you want and only what you want. Now you may claim that this is your right to do so (which I will not argue) but we are not stupid, we know you make a lot of money off of us through donations and buying from the el shop, so I think it only fair we should have a decent input (and despite what ent says I know it would hurt him a lot if he made no money off the game and still had to pay the server costs).

Once again I stress this is not a nagging or bitching statement. I appreciate that you offer us a free game with lots to do and a unique skill system, but it doesnt change the fact that we feel sometimes our opinions are overlooked. :D

sometimes the opinions reinforce a problem rather then fix it...

As aesthetically pleasing as that statement may sound, it makes no sense. We have opinions because a problem is present in the first place.

yes, i know that. but sometimes the cure may well turn out worse then the illness. basicly some of the fixes i have seen suggested by people would just make the problem worse in the long run.

like say the suggestion to fix the overproduction of items by adding more items to make. sure, then people just moves on to making those items and we are back to square one as the market is flodded by the new, better items...

but this isnt realy the place, it got about zero to do with the cooldown system...

Edited by duran

I wanted to make sure that the dev team understood a large majority of us would like to be able to contribute more input to the process of added features. I understand that you open topics for discussion, however the underlying feeling among the community is that despite our opinions, you do what you want and only what you want.

but it doesnt change the fact that we feel sometimes our opinions are overlooked. :D

If you would like to contribute and give your input we will most certainly listen to you if you phrase your opininos in a mature concise manner that follows the rules! I don't know where you get the impression that we wouldn't. Obviously opening a thread like this implys that very fact.

No we do not do what we want and only what we want. Otherwise we woudln't ask for your input or suggestions. Many times we have posted polls in these forums. Please go look around, and read them.

This game is still in BETA. That means it goes through testing. We will never truly know if something will work or not, until we try it out for a while, in the real game.

I'm supprised Roja and Ent can really put up with this. The cooldown isn't a final thing, so hold your complaining tell they decide whether or not they should actually impliment it perminately or not. I'd hate to see what would happen if Ent, or Roja lost their patients....*starts building an underground bomb shelter* I want to be prepared just in case :D

Didn't I clearly state that in a month we will hear everyone's oppinion and suggestions?

The feedback I have seen indicates that you may not need to in a month's time, as those that agree to it will still be there and those that don't like it won't.

I did not initially like having to take two feasting pots to make just 5 steel bars, and then I felt that to increase my potion level to make FP would take 6 months (with the cooldown), but I now realise that I can purchase the FP and help the virtual planet.

Still, I fail to see how a change that will cause a high level manuer to have to take a week to make one sword (including ingreds) can end up being a huge benefit to the game. Maybe I am viewing this without the "Shared Vision" perk ;^)

I still LoVE EL... but as it is human nature to dislike change for change's sake, maybe a bit of insight into the reasoning and purpose would be helpful in cooling the players down.

If the players leave for such a small thing, rather than wait a month and then criticize, it means they are not attracted too much by our game, so their oppinion doesn't count.

Is not like this change was more drastic than, say, when we required food for manufacturing and then implemented food subtraction when you manufacture and harvest.

"I've just spent more than 40 minutes making ~100 spirit restoration potions. Think about one thing please - who on the Earth would waste so much time on something as borring as making SRPs? I will not even think about something more time-consuing. Dear developers, please reconsider this decision again - i am here to play, and enjoy the game (which I had so far), but I do not play EL just to waste precious time on something totally borring as waiting for cooldown to finish...

I would strongly recommend returning to previous, otherwize you are risking to lose many players..."

I have to agree with Vitez's statement. I may need some time to adjust to this radical change, but I would like to point out some initial thoughts.

Why a minute to wait between food items? Isn't that a little extreme? I mean, if it was ten seconds for vegetables and maybe a bit more for better food level increasers like fruits and cooked meat, it would make a whole lot more sense. It would balance the desire for realism while maintaining a reasonable manufacture/alchemy/etc rate for crafters like myself.

Along with Vitez, I didn't play this game for realism. I play this game because it's that: a ficticious world where things don't exactly match up with our limits anyway. After all, a severe limitation would be either harvesting, or researching, or manufacturing one at a time. Normally it'd be impossible to do all three at once, but no one cares about that.

Feel free to dismiss me as a five-plus week player who doesn't know the whole grand scheme of things, but the whole grand scheme of things, as it is, is ruining my initial fun factor for Eternal Lands. And what's more important for you: losing players from dogged realism, or keeping players despite the many realistic flaws?

And of course, I might post another comment like this once I get into this cooldown system for about two weeks.

Guest mphllps

Entropy when you first suggested this, after reading your reasoning and explination of what you were going to do I was ok with it. When you first suggested it, you also said the experience per item would be bumped up to compensate. IE double or triple the experience per item made. By doing that you would be lowering the amount of items for sale on the market but not hindering the experience we got. I don't have a problem with the cooldown system as it appears to work, as you could say it adds more realism to the game, however I don't think it is right to make it take even longer to manufacture or craft items for the same experience. It makes it nearly impossible for us who specialize in manufacturing or crafting to gain levels. I'm sitting at the bottom of the top 50 in crafting, and my crafting level isn't even 40! Doesn't that mean this skill is hard enough to level without making it take even longer??

Again, I don't have a problem with a cooldown system, but I think it should have the experience boost you YOURSELF originally suggested.

I will first say I'm still not sure on weather I hate this cool down thing yet.. However I will say that it' is at least a good idea; Ent is trying to fix the econ. and it's only a month test. He is at least trying to fix a problem and if it doesn't work he can remove it. Futher more about the people getting ban; Ent did say did didn't want whinning. If you wanted to complain, there are other places for it. This is just starting and we should all at least give it a try; yes things are harder to make, so what, could we really make all these items as quickly in RL as in the game. Honestly ent hasn't removed anything from the game, but made it more role playing. Will people complain as much when Ent removes the #beam me up, which if I'm not mistake was design incase we got stuck.

So Ent thank you for trying to fix our econ problem and after a month we'll see if it worked or not

Edited by Tuver

im standing by what i originally said to a couple friends about the cooldown system. to me its plainly ruining the chances of newbies becoming good on this game just like the book prices being raised. many people on this game would be fine with this because they know how to play, how to train, they are in guilds and can ask for help but what about the newbies who have just created, they know nohing about this game and this cooldown system in my opinion sets them at a greater disadvantage than before, when i used to use BRs in fighting i used to use about 5 in a fight atleast with a troll and sometimes they hit me so bad i had to use 1 right after the other or very soon but 10 seconds is just too long

i will give my congratulations to all the mods who created this for their time and hard work in doing it, it is nice to see new things being implemented to the game, it was a good idea on paper but personally i think this idea just benefits midium and high level characters and guilds. i understand this was was added to try to reduce the ammount of gold coins in the game (or so im told) but how do newbies have it, increasing the ammount of time it takes to make things wont work, maybe add special features into the game that people can buy, say houses, this could maybe decrease the ammount of gold coins in the game but not make the houses publically available, maybe add a new NPC somewhere and a list like the buddy lit where you can add people to it that can enter your house, they go to this NPC and it says something like 'WOuld you like to vists *******'s house?' and options 'Yes' and 'Maybe later', you wouldnt just go and buy a house, there would be certain npcs dotted about White Stone and you would need to visit them and buy different items off them. 1 sells Timber which is needed to be taken to another who gives you a Lumber Token and you buy 10 Lumber for 1 token, same with stone and you get a Stone Token, then there will be a third and you get a House Permit and once you have this permit and enough of the Stone and Lumber Tokens (say 10 or 20 of each) you take them back to the original NPC and get your house for an additional 30k coins, this is just an idea.

Edited by Blaki

Well Rogue and DonPedro and I tested a couple PK matches, it is deffidently more difficult! If you are fighting someone with a weapon, and you have (I'll use my numbers as an example) 165 health, it is hard to survive. Example: Both do around 50 damage each hit, so that means you need to restore at the LEAST every 10 seconds. And once you are down to 30ish mana, you can only restore once every 30 seconds...so basically what this all means is that it is gonna be a LOT harder taking on people who are higher levels than you, or 3-4 people at a time. Also one intresting thing: When Rogue and I were vsing Don, Rogue died first and I tried to go diss and get rogue's bag, because Zaer was nearby. But I had almost died earlier, and my diss was still cooling down. Anyway, for now, I think this actually makes this game a lot more strategic :D

but nearly impossible for lower lvl's (if there's one person fighting a lower lvl it's ok but when 2 higher lvl's fight against a lower lvl then the lower one = 100% dead)

i have tried making He's but 2 He's every minute is taking to long for me

No bitching or praising here, just something I've noticed:

When you harvest veggies, then you stop to eat 1 of them, the cooldown clock starts, but when you start to harvest again, the clock disappears, even if the item is still cooling.

houses, this could maybe decrease the ammount of gold coins in the game but not make the houses publically available, maybe add a new NPC somewhere and a list like the buddy lit where you can add people to it that can enter your house, they go to this NPC and it says something like 'WOuld you like to vists *******'s house?' and options 'Yes' and 'Maybe later', you wouldnt just go and buy a house, there would be certain npcs dotted about White Stone and you would need to visit them and buy different items off them. 1 sells Timber which is needed to be taken to another who gives you a Lumber Token and you buy 10 Lumber for 1 token, same with stone and you get a Stone Token, then there will be a third and you get a House Permit and once you have this permit and enough of the Stone and Lumber Tokens (say 10 or 20 of each) you take them back to the original NPC and get your house for an additional 30k coins, this is just an idea.

You played Conquest Online too much... well, at least you didn't take any idea from RS...

Anyway cooling down is too long (50 second of nothing to do is too much) and getting exp is way too slow now. I guess money too.

I do not think the cool down is so bad. You can get a feasting pot from mira for 10 gc, and if you make HE, that is 5 HE each feasting pots, and atm, it is 5 gc each for HE, not sure of prices after this update, so maybe a little more. Then you would gain 25 gc from a feasting pot and you can buy 2 more, so really you gain money by buying feasting pots. Also, if some havent noticed, everything manuable is only 2 sec to make so you do not have to wait so long if you are making plate to see if you fail or not. That is for me..i always switch to a different window when i am making something expensive that takes a long time to make because felt that i got luckier by that way

Yes, but:

- running each time to Mira for potions = another time consuming.

- 25gc from HEs - 10gc per pot = 40% lower profit than without pot and even with higher market prices... i dont think that everything will be 40% more expensive

- i saw here somewhere Ent said they may turn festing potions stackable which is one good thing,

- i hope exp per item will be multiple times bigger than now,

- cooldown really need to be shorter

- so now we will have to wait like a month to find out if anything will be done, but im not expecting any miracles like many times already, when some fixes were promised...

PS. BTW don't vote on EL on mmopgd this month, we are not sadist, we don't want more people suffer :-)

PS2. From my originally post: i just saw fight on KF with new system... sign hop into kf, attack, fight for like 5-10 seconds, using of 3 restores, then diss and sign hop to votd :| That i wouldn't call a fighting, such a crowd near signs and whole rest of map empty.

ok i like the idea of the cooldown, it does reduce the amount of an item being created which in theory should bring the prices up (we will have to wait to see if this actually happens) and all the people bitching about having to wait 60 seconds per fruit, get over it, i mean come on fruit isn't the only souce of food in this game, the best thing you can use is feasting pot, and if you use this the wait isn't much longer for anything you make in game, and it only add's 10gc to your costs, but you also get the vial back (which normally sells for 6gc on market but i have a feeling that will go up because of the 5 second wait on drinking mana pots).

This is however a few problems, first making a cooldown on items used (like sr's, diss and damaged rings) means that they will be in less demand, so therefor the price of them item will proberly not change, or even go down because of such a dramtic change in the demand. all the other items like weapons and armour should go up slightly though, but it makes potheads(poition makers) and crafters biggest sellers, no so good.

Also like mphilps said exp is affect, and now it takes alot longer to gain exp, so maybe a small increase in exp gained on making all items (not to much as feasting pots do reduce the time to make them quite alot) but maybe up to a 50% incease in exp given?

Well i think thats everything. I do like the cooldown system as it should help some part of the encomy but it does still need some more work, but its good to know your trying to fix problems, keep it up :D

if there is anything we can do to make the cooldwon better i am willing to help. i am finding alchemy is taking much longer as my food runs out i have to wait ages to start again. if i can help with ideas let me know . thanx

i agree also that the trials are good as it irons out creases also people dont take for granted things come easily and it makes the game quite hard now, as when people fight trying to do magic and drink potions the chance of people dying will be much greater. that is just my theory. i enjoy the change but i think exp points might need highering as it will take much longer to achieve peoples goals now.