Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Cooldown log

Ok, I haven't tried this on the main server yet, but I did go do some tests on the test server a few nights ago. One of the things I found that may pose an issue is that the cooldown for diss/damage rings starts if you click it too soon. Sometime in battle you do make misclicks, and this can be costly.. I made some He's and Sr's on the test server, and it is a bit longer, but I'll live. Only thing i'm worried about is my having power hungry, will definitely have to think my strategy out before sitting down for a big alch or manu session. All in all..I'll live for a month..Thanks, that is all :D

All i have to say... its sick!! Mabe you are just trying to close this game? if yes then congratulations, its already dead. You CANT do anything now, no Alch, no Manu, no Crafting and so on. As i said before its sick!!!

1K days suspension.

Edited by Entropy

Well, this hasn't been implemented long enough to fully appreciate how I am effected, but I have an initial impression, so I'll share it.

I'm spending a lot of time watching a red stopwatch go around.

From a playability standpoint, that's not so good. Playing this game requires a lot of repetitiveness, and to add periods of nothing to that is distressing.

I *think* that one of the reasons that this is being tried is to help market values- if so, can't you somehow limit how many of a particular item someone makes over a day or a week? That would shift the "cooldown" from the minute domain to the day or days domain. Made your helm limit for the week? Go summon for awhile.

All IMHO of course.

Scafativ

As You know, SRPs need a lot of ingrediences... In order to use some more optimal way of making them I would have to carry stuff with me, and go around and dig little, make one SRP, dig somewhere else, make one SRP, etc... That is even MORE time consuming, because ingrediences for SRPs are usually cleverly put at fairly long distances.

Again, my point is this - this "feature" of Yours will make many of us, workers, and people who like to sit in front of computer for 30min to 1.5h and play a game, consider finding something "better" (here something less time consuming), but still enjoyable.

I have already downloaded few cool alternatives...

I would not call it "sick" but "much more difficult, and time-consuming. :D As we said above - with proper (optimal) way of making stuff you can actually do 100SRPs (spirit restoration potions)... in 30min instead of 45minutes. :icon4: Someone would willingly waste so much money (game addicts), but some others won't.

Again, my point is this - this "feature" of Yours will make many of us, workers, and people who like to sit in front of computer for 30min to 1.5h and play a game, consider finding something "better" (here something less time consuming), but still enjoyable.

I have already downloaded few cool alternatives...

That's great. May I suggest buying Warcraft 3 and playing various custom games (especially DotA) on Battlenet? It's very fun. You can also play TD games, they are really entertaining too.

Please keep these rules in mind:

5. Posts should be constructive in nature.

Back up your statements / claims. If quoting, make sure to quote all relevant and necessary text, and if appropriate, provide a link to the originating source. Do not make posts or threads that are solely intended to incite controversy, provoke anger, insult people, present misinformation, and / or concerning personal issues with other members.

9. Use Constructive Criticism

Do not insult the developers or implementations of the game. When a new addition is made to the game and you find something wrong with it, then phrase your words in a thoughtful and meaningful way that people will be willing to respond to. Back your ideas or opinions up by facts or good, well thought out suggestions.

I will start to delete posts that don't follow these rules too.

Scafativ, this is the best suggestion I've read so far! I just hope moderators/developers will discuss this alternative.

However, BIG guilds will still be able to make huge amount of items, so small guilds will suffer. :D Not just single, guildless players.

But again, idea is much, much better than the cooldown.

Scafativ, this is the best suggestion I've read so far! I just hope moderators/developers will discuss this alternative.

Thank you, Vitez.

The code is already there, in a form- the harv/hour limit. That caps harv XP/ unit time. I'm proposing caps on making things / unit time- but units a lot bigger than a minute.

scafativ

First of all i wish to say that i enjoy seen moderators/coders worried about a well balanced game that surely is more fun for all players.

I have some considerations about massive productions of itens. I make potions and i still can produce SRs in same speed.

Feasting potions delay is 11 secs and with it i make 5 SRs each SR = 2 seconds and i cant click allways in same rate ..i think i spend like 14 or 15 seconds making 5 srs (if i dont stop to chat a little) so i reduced 2 clicks (had to click 3 times to fill 45 bar of food) thats better for my hand.

Some people is beting that all stuffs will be more expensive .. i dont think so .. people used to spend TONES of SRs now.. they just cant drink all of them at once like before .. so they wil spend less SRs .. buy less SRs and players that was beting on raising prices will just start to sell cheaper.

Fighters that was training fluffys and cycs (with some dificulty but with good exp earn) will consider attack ogres aggain (well need more intermediate creatures). With ogres the just spend 1 restore each 3 or 5 ogres (i kill 3 without restore) so the fighters will also spend less HEs (and some players is jut trying to sell them for 8gc soon will sel for 4 -5 gc again)

For those reasons i put above think cooldown will not give the expected result.

My sugestion is more interemediate creatures and strongers monsters (i love to use a sword but i just dont use it cause earn less xp). C2 is implemented but still low plyable .. maybe new medium monsters could be there ..

Hope u all understand my poor english (im Brazillian)

[]'s Anamir

Edited by Anamir

After 1.5K FE making, not so bad, just need some to bring some feasting pots each round and u can make normal production, even more with cooked meat.

Some strange errors with the red clock (sometimes disappears as some1 said before) but not a problem, will be fixed soon i suppose.

A doubt: does it take longer to make everything (not meaning because of food level 0, i mean the You started working...).

Will see how it goes with more heavy food substracting items, dunno yet :/

This is IMHO, of course (I didnt intend to bitch before, really :S)

Edited to inform about new mining pain: 50 health from radiation if u r unlucky as me :/ (Might be painful for a poor 45 health person with the exc cloak on... :S)

Edited by Moebius

it's sick

He got suspended for 4 months for posting that.

Hey Ent I'm not sure you are totally synced with the current lingo of the teenagers, sometimes people use the word 'sick' to mean cool (Although it sounds rather stupid) like 'y0o dude....you got some sick air off that last jump man cool dude....'

just so ya know :D

BTW, so far I think this cooldown is cool, it actually adds a lot more strategy to things like PKing, and makes mass producing a lot harder :icon4:

EDIT: hmmm nevermind found another post with the same phrase and a negative connotation....no idea what that first post was supposed to mean

Edited by TheDoctor

Well, i just tried to make few bars with cooldown thingy. It used to take like 5-7 seconds for bar+eat vegie, bow it is 52 seconds.

Now it's taking definitely too much time:

- 50 seconds w/out move, just looking at screen, waiting.

- 7-9 times less exp during the same period of time now, it would take ages for someone who just started even to try to get close to someones lvl if he did it before that update. For example iron bar should give like 1080 exp per bar now instead 125 (for me) to recompensate that. And there wasn't exp gaining adjustion i seen. Also prices should be like 9 times higher for items produced with such a delay to compensate loses (but i guess both aren't realistic) Anyway it really need adjustion quickly.

Don't know about fighting (havent tried it yet), but maybe it is better there if doctor enjoyed it, maybe it is good. But production anything is boring by definition.

The cooldown just made me realize how overpowered the fruit item was.

And makes massive production of items in storage much harder, which never really added to the roleplaying aspect of the game.

Remembers me of the book changes i read about in the forums.

Is it true they were very cheap, lying around everywhere and available in libraries a few month ago?

Good point Gen Axis. The whole point of cooldown was to improve el marketing as the market was overflowed with items. I'm afraid the new system is not doing it. Something has to be done about it.

For example taking out cooldown for buyable items like bread and making very low cooldown on cooked meat would be a good idea. That 's my opinion. So if you wanna do mass production of items, you will have to pay a little or spend some time getting right stuf..not play semi-afk. With the new cooldowns most people will go into semi-afk playing, and that's not a good improvement.

Edited by grymauch

Hmmmmmmmmm i am not keen, making a lot of essences is never really easy. Making bars is even worse, i make them for others to improve their skills. Very time consuming and wrist aching aswell as boring to harv. I do them mainly to help others.

I don't really get this economy game stuff.... It is a game.. how can it have an actual economy... (call me stupid if you will but i just don't get it, it's a game... surely these things are adjustable?)

I did notice within 5 minutes of logging back in that this food cooldown is going to be a real pain though. I can work round it i am sure. It is just going to make things a lot harder for the people who already sit and do repetetive stuff for ages to help others.

I have still to look into the other aspects but i am pretty sure my aim at 75 alch has just been blown out of the water... not sure i will even bother trying anymore. I am just wondering how this will make the game attractive to play as i know a lot of older players are leaving because of it. I don't want to see my friends leave, i don't want to leave but this is just not helping the game as a whole. I feel it is hard enough to sit and make stuff already without having to wait for a clock to finish on food. Just my opinion....

Maybe a slowdown on general making of stuff rather than a slow down on food.. i can wait to click to make another fe.. waiting to eat just seems silly though.

:D Awww wot the hell, I`ve always said wot I thought, so why stop now?? If I get a forum ban......who cares.....wonder if I can break the 1k forum Ban?? Anyway, to the matters in hand.......if this is being done to improve the "ingame make believe economy" then surely this is the wrong way to go about it. The best way of improving any economy, is to provide people with something new and exciting, give them something new to make / buy, create more armor, weapons, potions and items in general that will spark interest, and while being new and different, will probably increase the economy`s revenue. But another point, I think is worth mentioning......apart from new players wanting a full set of plate after 5 mins of play, does anyone really care how much money is in the EL Bank Account?? I`m sorry guys, but I loved this game to bits, and all I`ve seen is a steady decline over the last few updates, all that hard work and effort that went into the new continent and new monsters will go to waste unless something is done soon. I understand its going to be adjusted, and tweaked and its only a test as such, but please, surely anything that slows an already slow game down even further, CANNOT be a good thing. I fear a lot of good players and EL Veterans may leave to find other games, and I know Ent has always said, who cares, let them go.....but Ent, I`m a PAYING player, I`ve put money in ya pocket, and so have a lot of others, how many wont renew there P2P when their year is up?? I know I wont be, and like I said, maybe you really dont care, after all, I`m only one person.....but I know I wont be the last.

I`m taking a break for now anyway, but I would like to come back at some point, I`ve made some wonderful friends in EL, and it would be sad to say goodbye. We know you`re trying to improve the game, but maybe you should listen to those that have played this game for over a year or so, let them help you make this game great again.

Thanks as always for your time.

WiLdCaRd

My first reaction on cooldown was to flame :D

In fact, I can consider it an interesting strategy problem.

My aim in this game is to make greymage an equilibrate player whith every skill over 25/30.

I am already used to hunt gobs while i summon, my goal shall be now to find a secondary occupation during the cooling time.

The only real problem I have is due to my connection. Since the new version, grues found me very attractive. ;)

Would it be possible to make the beginning of cooldown effect after the use of food and not at login? Sometimes, I am disconnected every minute :(

Apart of that, it is a challenge. I'll endure invasions AND cooldown :) .

If potion of extra mana/great healing have a faster cooldown time to encourage usage, could you increase the chances of making them?

thoughts:

You should see this as a challenge, not a problem.

You should also know that its testing month. Things will be tweaked a bit, remember to save your game often.

You should also remember that its only a game, a FREE game.

I am aware that some players will quit.

Others will stay and find better strategies to deal with those issues. The economy will change, that's for granted.

I am not sorry for those who quit the game because of this change, nor do I wish them to stay. If they can't actually try a new feature first, then they are not part of our targeted audience.

The fact that they bought some stuff from us in the past is also not a big issue, is not like we are making a living from EL for the time being.

My first reaction on cooldown was to flame :D

In fact, I can consider it an interesting strategy problem.

My aim in this game is to make greymage an equilibrate player whith every skill over 25/30.

I am already used to hunt gobs while i summon, my goal shall be now to find a secondary occupation during the cooling time.

The only real problem I have is due to my connection. Since the new version, grues found me very attractive. ;)

Would it be possible to make the beginning of cooldown effect after the use of food and not at login? Sometimes, I am disconnected every minute :(

Apart of that, it is a challenge. I'll endure invasions AND cooldown :) .

The cooldown at log in was implemeted to prevent abuses such as multiplaying in PK maps (use 10 characters with rings of damage and stuff).

How the Cooldown affected me

An essay

By

LabRat

My normal source of income in this game is, and has been for a long time, making health essence. Slow work, but still very lucrative.

Since this update, I have decided on a new approach to making money - namely the arts that my former career path forced me to neglect - fighting and collecting the gold coins and items dropped.

I am lucky that I have money set aside in the bank to buy any essentials I need for the moment, and they seem to be armour which is good news for somebody.

I will be making essences again, but only for my own consumption. I have almost 2000 in storage, and I will see how many levels I can gain in attack and defence with those.

I see the cooldown as a good thing in my case as I have been getting more and more bored of sitting in mines for hours waiting for the next event and the ensuing "ooh", "gratz" and "did he drop a deathbag". I now have a god-given (yeah Entropy I mean you) opportunity to explore the maps - I have only been on continent 2 maybe three times since it was introduced, and I have no excuse to expand my extremely limited explorations, and see some of the new creatures in their home environments.

I will be staying in the game if you'll let me, and who knows if I keep up with my alternate activities one day I may challenge the better players to a friendly fight in The Arena with crowds cheering me on.

Thanks guys for giving me the opportunity to grow.

I hope you enjoyed my essay, and if you didn't I'd prefer it was just deleted instead of me being banned from the forums.

Regards to the #dev team

LabRat

tweaked and its only a test as such, but please, surely anything that slows an already slow game down even

WiLdCaRd

This point really is true. El has slow gameplay.

Sure, you can watch movies while playing, but then i actually would like official automation or macro support. Would allow me to work on something and check el every few minutes, not every few seconds.

Maybe something like being able to queue actions?

Hi...

I've heard that the effects of the cooldown were supposed to be the market disinflation - meaning less items on the market and therore a lot more work and a lot more dedication to the game. I consider that in a way the cooldown could help with these things so from this point of view is a great idea.

But i would want to underline a couple of problems.

Mira is would become the major source of feasting potions - due to the price that she offers that makes the feasting potion not rentable for potioners to make and sell (5 vial+2wine). Mira's stand could be a very hard to access place in the periods of time when large numbers of players will be online.

According to my calculations - i've created my char 7 months ago and i have for instance alch lev 72. That took a lot of work - not daily but at least each 2 days. For a long while i've played as a lone player since i needed time to understand the game and not to be a burden for a guild. I think the food will need some tunning or otherwise will be very difficult for characters that start today to reach an active mid level player. I don't know if i start a secondary char today i will have the feeling that the features that are implemented are favourizing the players that began this game before me.

Guild projects - solution?

When i joined a guild i've started to have guild projects with the other guildies. I've tryed to imagine how a guild project for bars will work now. We will have some people that will bring feasting potions from mira (36 since they are not stckable) the alchemists/harversters. Anyway there can be fonud a solution to that i supose. But this will only help big guilds. This will mean that big guilds will corner the market and we can obtain the adverse effect of the last day's market inflation. Big guilds will control the market and lol we don't have any anti-trust regulations. I've noticed that prices of some items raised enormously. Maybe we need some sort of a reference system for items like rings/medallions (a npc that sets the price for those as for all other items).

Lone players - strategy?

Another mention is that lone players are disadvantaged by the non-stackable status of the feasting pot.

Let's supose a lone player makes a magic essence project - (each player can carry 2-3 pickx, eventually 4 he's and some gc, also the 2 types of flowers needed) and goes to naralik catacombs to make the essences. If he has a mm/exc cape too - he can go with - this means max 30 pots of feasting). each pot offer 50 food (45 in fact). If he wants to protect hiS food level while alching he will have to wear a ps cape too. I think the nonstackable status of feasting potion - maybe some food tunning will solve it - is a huge disadvantage for lone players - and well, in this game you should be able to have the chance to develop even if you are not a part of a guild.

Edited by Damned_Angel

It's cool. People are quitting, I'm getting their stuff.

Oh, I have powersaving, don't log on my main anymore anyway, and got to full food level before the update. Only char I would be worried about would be Felicity, and she's gonna be a bot eventally.