Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Saii

History of the lands: final edit

Both sides eventually agreed to make major changes.

Another God would be made, to create a balance to the two opposed sides. Elandria though neutral was not powerful enough in herself to settle disputes, and besides was still not trusted by Mortos after she had foiled his first plot all those years ago.

Some people, chosen for their quality, became immortal physical beings, who now live permanently on the Lands both tending to and populating them. Others were made unsentient, such as the Orcs and Ogres, to prevent them from ever challenging the Aluwenists again.

Finally, some were named Eternals, who come to these lands half-formed, trying to earn their substance over time. The Eternals were made as a means of keeping the original freedoms of our world alive, without allowing the growth of these independent spirits to become unmanageable.

This last measure would both keep down the number of people to a useful level and allow the Gods to remain quietly in the background, free to rule without undue interference.

An addendum to this agreement was the inclusion of many Orcs and Ogres, something which Mortos insisted on before ungraciously accepting proposals to make them unsentient. This was coupled with a continuing introduction of new and powerful beings by all the Gods - suggested by Unolas as a way of constantly introducing variety so the lands would not pall for them or the new class of Eternals.

The candidates for deification were few. Selain argued a Centaur should be raised, believing them to be the reason for his defeat and thus worthy of his respect. Glydoc argued, more persuasively, for Glilin, whose courage, supreme skills of craft and towering intellect seemed eminently suitable. Selain was further hampered by the death of Folis (see the Story of Folis and Salia), who had been the only clear-cut Centaur contender.

Voting was heavily split, but down unexpected lines. Mortos abandoned his protégé Selain to support Glilin's elevation, while Gaia took Selain's side. Unolas refused to involve himself, as did Aluwen who curtly disagreed over the need for a new God but couldn't do anything about it. In the end Elandria went with Glilin, reasoning that his neutrality at the beginning of the war showed a level head.

Her contribution tipped the scales in favour of the Dwarf's elevation, and as the now depleted races of the world were stripped away from its surface, he survived to become a God. The countless numbers who used to populate the continents are now gone; only a small number remain, deemed worthy of a permanent physical form.

After the great agreement was concluded, Mortos went back to his domain in hell, preferring it to the lands above. Although he has slowly come to accept that the lands will never disappear, he continues to hate them, and seeks always to cause as much misery as he can. Qast is his latest idea in this regard. He still wields great power in the lands and as with the other Gods, patronises any Eternals who please him.

We who live in these lands today are descendants of those times passed. We are born formless, and gain our bodies only through the grace of Gods and our own hard work. Our early lives are dominated by the words of the Wraith - whose form and voice twists with the whims of the Gods themselves, giving us quests so we can show our worth and better ourselves.

Of the Gods, most are now happy with the situation as it stands, with two notable exceptions. Aluwen believes that the lands should once more become home to a vibrant kaleidoscope of peoples, and is seeking to improve the lot and share of mortals. Mortos wishes the opposite, and with Qast as his envoy, seeks to weaken his percieved enemy - to impose the ultimate order of nothingness on us all.

For now we cannot truly die, but we must work to truly live. We are the Eternals, and these are our lands.

NB// on Gnomes, I might do an entirely seperate story linking them to a split in Dvar's mind caused by Mortos.

Their exclusion from the book can be put down to their lack of battlefield expertise - afa the story's concerned they spent most of the war in the background, keeping out of the way - though they did act as carers and helpers, tending to wounded on both sides of the conflict and repairing things. History always forgets the little people eh? :wink:

I did read through the entire story, back into January about Grum not seeing any misspelled words, it did not matter that they were there, just I have spotted 17 different spelling errors in the already implemented part of the game from the NPC's. I find that particuarily annoying. I figure if I ask for Saii to be careful not to incorrectly spell when they are finished there will be few and hopefully none.

The most common mispelled words I make are when I am typing and leave out a letter or something. The words I noticed were mispelled had extra letters and tagalongs in them lol.

Oh yes nice story.