Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Roja

The OFFICIAL Storyline decision...

Ok guys, it took me long enough to come to this conclusion, but I wanted it to be the right one, because this is so important.

So what will be the main storyline? Well...there will be NO main storyline!!! Yeah, that's right, no MAIN SL(storyline). In other words, there will be no main goal to the game, no end to it. Why? Well simply because this is a MMORPG, and that's just kinda not possible.

Basically, what I'm planning is to have a history/background to the world, with the different races, as a basic thing. And you can read about it in books in the libraries/houses. I'll put a basic outline on the website too.

But the best part is that I want to make a lot of stories out of this world. That anyone can contribute to(if it's accepted of course), but the requirements to be accepted won't be so hard.

We can have hero's, villians, evil emporers....all kinds of stories based on the races/places of EL. Think of fantasy books that you love to read, isn't it cool to play games that have the environment/people you read about?...well that's pretty much what I want to do with EL. I want to make backgrounds on places in the game..like who founded white stone, was there a great battle there, or maybe a very likeable character in a story lived there, and as you get to know that character(from reading a story about them), it makes you feel more a part of the game. Perhaps you can even meet them as a NPC.

I'm planning on making a fan stories site someday. It might be on eternal-lands.net, or maybe a separate site just for stories. Actually i'd like it to be a section on el.net, but the site has to be developed further first.

The biggest problem with this will be consistency. So someone will make sure the stories dont' contradict each other. Basically...you can write about whatever you want pretty much, relating to EL of course. Post it here, as we read them we will pick out the good ones. There has already been quite a lot of good ones so far that are usuable, or might have to be altered slightly.

And lastly, the stories can/will be used in quests, the stories in the libraries like i mentioned before, and of course the bulk(because we can't put them all IN-game) will be on the website for anyone to read(and of course you'll get full credit for it).

That's all for now, if I think of anything I missed i'll post it :)

As I plan on posting a lot in this topic (I was going to start a VERY similar one lol), I will make a suggestion for Whitestone lol just cause I can.

Whitestone was founded by William H. Stone in (whatever date you want lol, not sure how dates will be presented lol). He grew up in the little town of Lakeside with only his mother. His father left before he was even born off to war in (whatever town lol, I am just going right now for interest and ideas and input, but if I were to get into it....ahh heck he wen off to war at Vermor Castle there lol). Three weeks after William was born his mother recieved word her husband had been badly wounded from a Large Gargoyle and was said to die by the end of the day. William grew up very weak and was picked on at school by his peers because he had no father. (blah blah blah story of his life lol, but got to set a basis for him right?). He thrived to be the best in school an he eventually graduated (not sure if schools ar a good idea really, but I figure we can change it if needed). He soon becamewell respected within the small ton of Lakeside and was appointed mayor. He highly improved the economy within Lakeside and by the age of 21 he was the wealthiest man in Lakeside and decided to build a manor near the base of the mountains for easy silver. He grew rich quickly, and many of his workers began to build close to his home so they woulnt have to travel so far each day. As theyears passed by more and more people moved to the surrounding area and began to ine the silver for themselves. William having been poor at one time, becam greedy and began to lash out at the other pioneers. This ent on for a few months before the townsfolk rose up and ecided enough was enough, and rebelled against their lord and friend. The fighting went on for weeks and William grew tired of this and hired many mercenaries to fight fo him. The rebellion soon ended. William die a few months later from poison being placed into one of his meals, and with no heirs, the town became self-goverened.

Ahh that was boring lol. Just a ough draft, lots of small words I can replace with much more appropriate words :)

Anyways let me know, if its bad I will try anothe city lol.

As for stories of big battles, I will be writing a piece about the "Battle of Vermor Castle" ofr something of that name lol.

If anyone reads my storyline, they might notice that a general open ended history of the lands is exactly what it does, with plenty of room left for how the cities got founded etc. :wink:

hm.. so some player stories might actually be put in the game libraries? =o

Unfortunatly I move to disagree. In video games I doubt players will stop to read a book in some book case that they could easily pass by.

Even if it were part of a quest I personally would just skip by it until I get to the parts I need to know to finish the quest.

It would be better however for item history. Items like swords can be classed as such... Wait. I'll post this in suggestions =P.

Izzy unlike you I read EVERYTHING. In games when I come into a town I talk to every last being in the town/castle just to mak sure I dont miss anything. Thats why its called an RPG, o you CAn go and read about things like that and so you CAN enjoy yourself without having to be #1.

Arafin, how about making up a story, instead of picking one from real life? Ok, it hasn't ended yet in real life, so your ending may be different. But come'on, even the guys name is so close that it is clear who you are talking about.