Sign in to follow this  
Kayuo

~AFK Icon~

Do you like the idea?  

1. 1. Do you like the idea?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

Ok i dunno if this is a good idea or not but this is so you can tell if someone is AFK.

Well, if there is no mouse clicking after 90seconds then an icon will appear over their head.

I think this is a pretty good idea cause its kinda hard to tell if someone is AFK and it'll be alot faster to tell.

:wink:

BTW u can catch those AFK fighters. 8)

Let me know what you guys think.[/b]

I think that's a really good idea...but 1 problem...what if you have to leave your computer for a moment to go to the toilet or somehting? some people might assume that you are afk if you're not doing anything!? chances are ...ppl will get used to it...so I think it's A REALLY GREAT IDEA!!it would also be handy if you're trying to talk or trade with someone ...you would know that they're not there if they're not responding!!even better!! great thinking kayuo!!

Yeah, I also think that's a good idea. The only thing that should be prohibited is AFK while harvesting though, not AFK in general. Quite often I switch from EL to the forum to write an idea down, or give a reply. Going to the toilet should also be pretty common, unless you are sitting on one while playing :shock:

:twisted:

I think that apart from having to leave the computer or not continually playing EL, it would still ber a good idea because you would be able to tell if someone is actually moving in the game without their mouse being clicked....so it's basically fool proof!!good thinking once again!! :D

Bubsyneo

hey guys, im not trying to be picky, but i want to know why some people don't like the idea of the AFK icon. :shock: cos anyone that's character is moving or doing something, you can easily tell if they're afk or not! and of course, if they have the icon above their head and they aren't doing anything, they've obviously just left the computer for a second or two. please reply :D

from bubsyneo

I dunno why some peeps don't like it. :?

Maybe some of them are AFK fighters and don't wanna get caught..not sure.

I dont like the idea, but I am not against it.

I mean if I see someone fighting anf they are afk, then I would be sure to try and do everything I can to stop him from getting xp, and with the afk icon I could do it much more easily. However, I dont fiht much, I cant even kill a gob yet lol.

But I dont like it because it may debase cahracters. I think the Grue is pretty good, just shorten it to about 5 minutes of nothing, so even if the person is on, they can be knocked out. I could easily write a program to make the afk icon never appear, but I never fight so what does it matter if I just go off and stand somewheres? I mean afk icon should only be placed in maps with aggressive creatures that way if I just happen to use the bathroom I dont come bakc with an afk icon while I just was sitting next to harv making potions or something.

Hrmmm I like the idea just maybe not 90 seconds how about like 5 minutes because since auto harvester is legal ur not going to click for the next 10 minutes or so and if it was 90 seconds you would have to keep clicking and ruins the whole point of an AUTO harvester hmmm maybe if it could detect clicking and typing

the prob bout the mouse clicking would be

if somebody is using macro, the computer wouldnt be able to disinguish wether or not the coputer is clicking or if somebody is using a mouse... unless im mistaken but i couldnt think of another way.

@Collingwood: yes you are right, auto-clicking with a macro is the same as clicking yourself, so there is no difference in that. Only when auto-harvesting is introduced as an in-game feature to the game (planned by Entropy), where you'll have to click only once to start the auto-harvesting procedure, then AFK while harvesting could be recognized. But this comes with another problem, because while auto-harvesting you won't be doing anything with your keyboard (at least that's unlikely) unless you're chatting with another player and not everyone does that all the time, so with a short AFK timer some ppl might be marked AFK without being AFK - to avoid this they will most likely just press any key (THE Any Key! :shock: ) before the on-line timer expires. Not a perfect solultion at all...

If we're going to have an AFK flag, I'd rather that the user invoke it, and then any action by the user can clear it. An automated AFK flag will show a lot of people AFK when they aren't.

i agree with youlearner but then afk people would choose not to have the flag..but i think that anything you do like typing or looking in your inventory should get rid of it for the allocated time. we could have a button in the settings screen to show or hide the flags. because some people that didn't mind seeing flags all the time could check for afks. even if not many people are seeing the flags, it would still be a good idea because if any player moves with a flag, it would be obvious! cya!!

bubsyneo :D:D:D:D

I love this idea! if its not possible to do it i think we should have like a key command like: #away

So the icon can come up. This is if you can't be able to do it.

Don't let this idea die out :) !

This has already been suggested by me :) so im all for the idea!! But i think we should make it user enabled and disabled but also no movment and no talking.

sam, i was about to add that just talking should not make u afk. Sometimes nh's may not be moing and helping the players with questions as an example, and technically aren't afk

well obviously talking would be recognised by the server also... I think they meant simply nothing sent to the server for 5 mins/user entered afk. Sounds like a good idea to me... however this is only so long as the icon is small (perhaps an extra chacter next to their name) cos screens are full enough as it is. Ontop of this, if the person is PM'd while afk then a standard "I am AFK" message is returned.

I think people were looking at this too much as a way to catch out cheaters instead of a way to see if your friends are there or not

I think your ideas are really good!maybe just a asterix or something that isn't already used in usernames could be the sign.I don't think there would be a problem with it because if the sign appears above someone and they're not moving because they have left their computer or somehting, then we won't think they're cheating because it doens't matter if they're not doing anything..cause it will be obvious. also the standard pm message is a really good idea!!maybe instead of a sign their name changes colour, obviously..cya guys!!

bubsyneo