Eternal Lands Official Forums
Roja

An idea for more excitment to the game!

257 members have voted

1. 1. Please read message below fully before voting! :)

• No keep the maps and monsters as they are!
    • Yes, make these changes!

, the need for something for the other skills is FAR greater, IMO.

Aside from adding more items to current skills there really haven't been any good suggestions for new skills. Yes we'll add shapeshifting, maybe even an enchanting skill...but what else is there? Adding more strategy to hunting, maybe making a trapping skill from that, is really all there is.

Do you have any good ideas for other skills?

i would like a combination of amulets and mm cloaks.

i feel that there still should be a MM cloak even if some of the verry top monsters ignore it but you could replace the item with an amulet or staff or some other type of item if you want. the advantage of a staff or another hand heald item is that it forces players to be ether a fighter or have MM.

If you want to get rid of the MM perk it would be ok if you gave us back our pick points and possibly replace it with a cape or give us some notice so we can get one of these new items before we are attacked.

I like the idea of different scales of amulets, but prehaps rings would be better fitting as they are commonly 'used' in the game where amulets are just warn. there could be different scales of amulets an easy one that protects against gargs, a medium one that protects against armed gobs, an hard to protect against Cyclops and an advanced to protect against everything (including arctic chim).

Haveing parts of the map that monsters cannot enter is a good thing and it should be extended to summoned creatures so they cannot be summoned and/or they instantly die when entering the town.

Edited by dns_server

I'm against the idea as a general change to all maps (with the obvious exception of IP). But it could make a nice addition to the PK maps. And as EL is a large world with a few PK maps, it could be a large world with a few maps with more free running monsters (as Roja suggests). I would want to see them everywhere because (as many have pointed out) it makes it just to hard for newbs and non-fighting characters. But a coupld specific maps that needed greater care (the use of amulets or whatever) would add interest to the game.

I hate making negative comments without a counterproposal, and I'd love to say I had a million ideas. Honestly, I don't. All I really know is something needs to be done, but not sure what that is.

I'm still wondering about the dysfunction(sp?) in experience, where a fighter can achieve the same thing as a laborer in a fraction of the time.

Actually, now I do have a thought - what if perception could be used to, say, figure out what you do wrong in making a product, and lessen the chance that it fails again? (thus, perception would be good for people who make product, as it could be a lessened chance in failure (or, just a lessened chance in critical failures).

I believe what needs to be done is adding more strategies, creating some challenges, making things more interactive.

I'll say it simply: I hate to play a game where you click make a sword, click make a sword, click......

A lot has to change for the game to become better however. And a lot is trial and error. People are against many things but if we never try how will we know for sure if it's bad or not? In these types of games the players really do make the game. They make the economy and discover different advantages and tricks one way or another by what we provide them.

I would really like to try this out, and see what happens! This game is still in Beta don't forget... we do need to improve things, one step at a time.

sounds like a challenge ^_^

after a short while, I came up with some ideas. in order to avoid filling up this thread, they're over here

If I may, it's only going to mean more dead and quitting newbies, from my view point. :/

Newbies die already at the hands of the Whitestone gargoyles and Portland goblins, not to mention Mother Nature using lethal force to defend her lilacs. (I nearly quit over that myself. Bee stings to discourage AFK harvesting are one thing; making me lose an hour's flowers was uncalled for. But that's another rant.) At least under the proposed change newbies that previously couldn't afford the Monster Magnetism perk or cape have some hope now.

Dave

Can't blame ya'. I was a newb and while harvesting lilacs lost 3000gc.

Better or more realistic? People won't be so happy over lengthened time to make things and etc. You will hear complaints, mark my words Roja, and certaintly dissaproval. Realism isn't so bad, but if it makes the gme any harder, I'll scream <_< If you think differently, fine by me, but don't blame me if I play EL less and less, until I leave my beloved EL and my friends ;)

I'd rather they not be stackable so a high level player can't carry 50+ of them.

Maybe make the effect's duration depend on the player's level. Basing it on an attribute or nexus would probably be better. That way the player has to spend pickpoints for the increase. Sort of like getting the MM perk now, except in stages instead of plunking down 5 pp in an all-or-nothing deal.

I like the idea generally, but how would a player recognize an aggressive monster vs. a regular one? Or should we assume every monster is potentially aggressive?

Dave

Base it on Charm?

no if you were to take and say a level 1 can have many as they want but say level 50 can only have 10 at a time or higher they get less they carry?? good idea?? :smartass:

Base it on Charm?

Perfect! I was thinking "charisma" from my D&D days - I couldn't remember the equivalent attribute here.

It opens up a whole new set of potential curses, too. Setting someone's charm to 0 would render the amulets useless.

How are attacks by current monsters on non-MM players decided now? Is there a fixed probability, or can it be modified by player characteristics?

Dave

ya the higher the luck they got the more the chance the ammy would work (excample)

level 0 luck low chance it would work but level 50 luck it 90 percent of the time works?? ^_^

Instead of town guards we can do "safe areas" the monsters won't be able to enter the towns/cities...

howbout a mixture

at most of the city that noobs get to fairly easy have gate that lower and raise gaurds will raise and lower though there open most the time but when they see a animal other then rabbit or rat they clos so that the monster cant get in to noobs and i love the "higher a gaurd" for say 50gp every 30 minutes real time so that a noob can offord them abd why not add like if you add trapper skill a game trapper like the training npc

have a trapper npc you buy stuff like "snare books" excetera and "snare set" the trapper gives you a snare and snare book but they cant be "traidid" they can be dropped but not "traided"

and howabout fishing you but fish lines fish bait you can dig for worms and you can buy "fishing book" and the trapper gives you fishing pole and bait to get you started

just an idea

i like the idea. make game harder!

idea: bandits = radom event. areas like PL->MM area. WS northen east region

guard thing: depends on charm and a/d lvl mixture = cost to hire

I like games with harder stuff but loada games needs alot to download.

the curret EL folder has 178MB, how much is going to be added on in future? 10-40? theres games which is about 640MB

I believe what needs to be done is adding more strategies, creating some challenges, making things more interactive.

I'll say it simply: I hate to play a game where you click make a sword, click make a sword, click......

now that you say that, I agree - the click-make-click-make system really is kinda weak. If we could actually become more involved in the process of making things (more than go here, get this, go there, get that, throw together, and you have), it would be better.

A lot has to change for the game to become better however. And a lot is trial and error. People are against many things but if we never try how will we know for sure if it's bad or not? In these types of games the players really do make the game. They make the economy and discover different advantages and tricks one way or another by what we provide them.

I would really like to try this out, and see what happens! This game is still in Beta don't forget... we do need to improve things, one step at a time.

Yes, change does have to come - and in the time I've been here, there already has been a certain amount of change - A new continent, 3 quests, more book NPCs, a whole new weapon class... yes, there's resistance.

I'm willing to give it a try, but I know I'd hate to be sitting with my MM cape exploring SK, writing, and all the sudden an agressive fluffy comes after me and kills me - as someone who has been attempting his hand in some writing for the game, I'd hate to be forced to give up just so someone else can have a challenge.

Great idea. In contrast to someone else's observation that it "would add no real depth", I think it makes the game much more realistic & fun.

Ok - here's the scenario - you are wandering from one point to another. All of the sudden, something jumps out and you die - what depth?

In the original post, some people talk about running from creatures when they were new favorably. Personally, I remember the same thing from my first week in the game, back in January - I didn't really know how dangerous SKF was, and decided it might be safe (well, it isn't a PK map, it must be safe! or so I thought) to head across instead of taking the boat so far up north in Corren (DP). Well, I walked in, got a distance in, and got ganged up on by 2 monsters - it sucked. Lost almost everything. I would HATE to repeat that.

So, if everyone has to be a high-level fighter, friends with one, paying someone off, or dead, what depth?

everyone being a good fighter would be nice since kf is mostly empty ;/ (seriously you can count the people who actually come there to fight on 3 hands, and then most of them are ally/friends)

Ok - here's the scenario - you are wandering from one point to another. All of the sudden, something jumps out and you die - what depth?

In the original post, some people talk about running from creatures when they were new favorably. Personally, I remember the same thing from my first week in the game, back in January - I didn't really know how dangerous SKF was, and decided it might be safe (well, it isn't a PK map, it must be safe! or so I thought) to head across instead of taking the boat so far up north in Corren (DP). Well, I walked in, got a distance in, and got ganged up on by 2 monsters - it sucked. Lost almost everything. I would HATE to repeat that.

So, if everyone has to be a high-level fighter, friends with one, paying someone off, or dead, what depth?

So why should things be nice & cozy & safe? Perhaps if you'd wanted some depth, you might have read up about SK or talked to other characters before attempting a crossing. This idea that you can have monsters on your terms, where & when you want them is the shallow perspective.

So why should things be nice & cozy & safe? Perhaps if you'd wanted some depth, you might have read up about SK or talked to other characters before attempting a crossing. This idea that you can have monsters on your terms, where & when you want them is the shallow perspective.

here's a crazy idea... maybe some people aren't in EL to fight.

there may be a few people who see EL as a chatroom with pictures, and a few who are here only to fight and kill(though even then, many of the top fighters have trained potion and magic, maybe summoning, and that's not gonna be done all in combat), but for most, fighting is just one part of the EL experience (which isn't just skills, it's also exploring, the social aspect, etc)

I see this proposed change as a shift towards a more combat-oriented game, and I don't like it. in my opinion, there's already a bit much fighting(which is hard to break the cycle, the skills have to be for something, and breaking/losing stuff in combat is the way you can take items out without putting cash back in)

I want more complexity, opportunity for challenge (but you can't mandate that everything will be hard, that's no fair on the newbies. there can also be problems for those who have trouble following what's going on, for language issues or whatever...in fact it doesn't even have to be hard to be challenging if done right, but that's hard to pull off), depth, and breadth.

having to fight stuff and/or be constantly watching to see if I have to run is not adding much complexity (more variety in the items you carry to avoid them, and lower available EMU because of being kitted up adjusts your methods are about as complex as it gets).

having to be more fearful of being attacked and not being able to go AFK without beaming out (and with #beam me going, that's a lot harder for people who get called away from computer) will make EL more difficult... but not in a way that adds much interesting challenge, as I can see it

if we're lucky, a change like this will increase interaction between fighters and harvesters, as they need to hire guards. if things don't go so well, we get a heap more bagjumpers(and no matter how many times you say it's legal, and if it wasn't you wouldn't have dropped it in the first place, people will complain)

I suspect I would be against most suggestions that make EL more combat-centric, though I will evaluate each idea on its merits, and some might be worth doing.

I just don't think this one is

Exactly. I am one of those people who will tell you until you're sick of it how much fun it used to be when we had the level requirement for a mm cape. But Ignoble is exactly right! We ran across Grubani in groups...it was an adventure. We had guilds who actually helped you and advised you. We read the manuals first. We were active participants in all ways. Of course there were "safe" maps. But if you wanted to see beyond that, you had to either have earned the way to do it yourself safely (potions 30 for the cape) or you went off and adventured. There is NOTHING wrong with making a player EARN the right to hassle free exploring. And don't give me the "not everybody wants to be a fighter"...potions was not fighting. The only change I would do with that is make it a skill of choice.

And guess what...those adventure parties were FUN. It was fun running from that goblin because everybody had to. We laughed about it, it added spice. *shrugs* I'm not a huge fighter either. It still was fun. Maybe you all ought to try it before you cry about it.

actually, here's a compromise suggestion that I'd be quite happy about.

leave things about as they currently are for what we have, but in new areas have high-level harvestables in dangerous places(or add high-level harvestables in dangerous places, make the places ith the stuff more dangerous, etc).

these places or the monsters there can ignore MM (but you can have stuff the level of an armed goblin or whatever that ignores MM, doesn't have to be ice-chim strong)

make it so that you need to hire guards to go after the really profitable stuff (by this time the harvester can afford to hire a guard or two), or so that it's more convenient to go to the dangerous place if you can handle it (like sulfur in MM cave is closer to raven/william than CC sulfur to grim, but you have to be able to deal with goblins. this can be done on a bigger scale)

in fact... what if those new phantom warriors could ignore MM and some of them arrived in PL tit mines as reinforcements for the poor skellies? tit is high-level, so those who go there aren't exactly poor newbs, and there are other sources of tit ore (with other dangers, but MM can still work for there)

I don't like the idea of all maps going this way, but it seems a lot of people would like to give it a try.

well, why not try it on a smaller scale first? if it works well, then we can expand it, if it's not great we can keep it for just some maps or rollback with less effort

Well actually I do plan to revise the positions of harvestables soon. Right now they're put down with no thought at all in mind, which is bad.

I want more complexity, opportunity for challenge

Ttlanhil got any other ideas? New non fight skills or something? See I'm not necessarily for fighting be the major part in the game, but every way you turn it seems to lead to that. I do not know how to bring other skills to the forefront..they all revolve around fighting.

Edited by Roja

Read up about SK - what had I to read? The sum total of the resources I had told me enough to know that SK had a few monsters, and that it wasn't PK. I thought I was ok - boy was I wrong.

Talked to other characters - I had no knowledge of the channels, had the idea (mistaken, admittedly) that experienced players would want nothing to do with a pitiful newbie like me (really helps with all the negative connotation with "newbieness" on the internet), and anyone that would talk to me would just be another newbie like me, so they'd only be able to beg (of course, every newbie in the world MUST lack a brain!)

Then, also have to consider my original intent in joining - play the game a bit, tell my brother who got me to join how much I didn't like the game, and then move on in my life, unhindered. Ironically, all this time later, it's my brother who left, and I'm still here. :P I didn't care about depth then - now that I'm here, I do care for it, and I'd like to be able to live my life without having to suffer for your enjoyment. If I really wanted to suffer for someone else's enjoyment, I'd go to KF.

Another UO thing I liked - you were out in the wilderness, and a monster starts chasing you - so you run. If you ran far enough, it followed you into a town and you called "guard" and it died quick to a guard, or you out ran it, it lost you, and you lived your life. Here, a monster starts chasing you, and you freeze - and die.

It isn't that shallow to say, "Alright, I'm now to a point that the monsters are afraid of me, so they stop attacking." It is shallow to try to turn the game into a hackfest - while we're at this, let's make every map (including IP) PK, replace the beam fire and Tutorial NPC with fluffies, up the drop chances to 100%, and remove the newbie no-hell-no-drop restriction! There's real depth - after all, if people don't want to die, they should never join the game! (Admittedly, this is a bit extreme, but we've rejected other "ideas" that others thought would add depth over similar).

...or so that it's more convenient to go to the dangerous place if you can handle it (like sulfur in MM cave is closer to raven/william than CC sulfur to grim, but you have to be able to deal with goblins. this can be done on a bigger scale)

This would be perfect imo. I think there should be some safe maps that between them all you can get any harvestable, have a storage, and any npc that is required.

The reward would be for those who wanted to put in the effort, you can go to these other maps (MM cave is the perfect example ttlanhil) that also have these harvestables but are more dangerous (there should be varying degrees of danger). The rewards can be that they are closer to storage, or have other harvestables nearby for potion or alch training, or are obviously less crowded.

I would prefer to see though the harder maps be the majority, and the safe maps combined to have only one each of each store npc, storage npc, and high end harvestables such as titanium and diamonds for example.

I voted yes, lets do it.

Lets have random monsters appear on all maps except IP.

Too dangerous? No, all you need is then a diss ring and an IP ring in your inventory.

So its not only a benefit for fighters, crafters will get more customers and sell more rings then.

Oh, and about monster magnetism: drop the perk but leave the cloak.

My 2 cents.

Piper

I think there should be some maps with very aggressive monsters (high % to ignore MM perk). But you shouldn't add more monsters there. And i also think that the poll is unfair because high lvl warriors will allways vote yes on adding more monster spawns.

agreed. I've put almost everything into alchemy and manufacturing. I can still be whooped by unarmed goblins :P

After thinking this a bit more - this even MORE plays to fighters - this could easily be abused for AFK fighters. (hey, as long as I don't fight something that can kill me, I can now leave the keyboard and go fix dinner! I'll have a meal AND another level!)