Eternal Lands Official Forums
Dark_Nightmare

What's your favorite fantasy book series?

What's your favorite fantasy book series?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Choices, some of the more common fantasy books series.

• Inheritance (i.e. Eragon, Eldest)
    • Chronicles of Narnia (i.e. The Witch, the Lion, and the Wardrobe)
    • Lord of the Rings (i.e. The Fellowship of the Ring, The wo Towers, The Return of the King)
    • Harry Potter (i.e. The Sorcerer's Stone, The Chamber of Secrets, The Half-Blood Prince)

Note that all these are the most common I've heard of. And also note that the movies do not count, though comments may be related to the movies. Also not that I accidentally forgot to put in other, so if you have another series that's your favorite, post here stating it's name and what it's about.

Edited by Dark_Nightmare

It was a hard choice, but I voted for LOTR, mostly because I enjoyed Tolkien's descriptions and plot.

I love the Chronicles of Narnia, but they're short, and not as much action. Voyage of the Dawn Treader is my favorite in that series.

I think I would like the Inheritance series, but, well, I never actually managed to finish Eragon(I tried four times), I always stopped reading once they got to the dwarf mountain...I swear I'm not prejudiced against dwarves.

Harry Potter's good, but I have an extreme dislike of the movies, and the spaces between the releases of the books are too long. I know they make up for that with their length, but it's still too much suspense.

Also, I think there's something to be said for The Earthsea Cycle by Ursula K. Le Guin. Tombs of Atuan most of all, it's a great book, although Tehanu (the last book) is a bit of a drag.

Oh, and the Abhorsen series. How could I forget? Sabriel, Lirael, and Abhorsen (by Garth Nix) are great dark fantasy books, what with lotsa references to death and dead creatures. But there's also love, and magic, and twisting plots. Lots of awesomeness, so I think Abhorsen might be my favorite series. But from the list, it's LOTR.

Well, I had to vote for The Chronicles of Narnia because I grew up with them, and they will just forever be my favorite books. The original The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe movie just holds a special place in my heart ;) I absolutely love Harry Potter as well, and LOTR. I've never read Eragon.

my fav is the Dragon Lance series,

it's about a group of friends, warriors, there's a mage, a half-elf, a kender, 3 humans one being a solamonic knight, a dwarf...and, ah, i'm probably missing a few but, there are quite a few other characters, but they are the main ones. it's based in mideval times, and, oi, i'm really bad at explaining things...well, there are many adventures that they go through, and it's jammed packed with action.

Roja would be able to tell you all a lot more about it then me ;)

-kat

my favourite is probably the death gate cycle. but out of the options above, LotR. tolkien was very good at describing what was happening (I was rather dissapointed about some of the stuff they cut for the movies, really)

Edited by ttlanhil

Uhm... why is there no Eddings here? Or Turtledove? It's like having a list of American comedians which excludes those born in Canada. ;) Either way, Eddings, (Sapphire Rose) and Tolkien's first works (Silmarillion) are kind of tied in my mind.

Edited by crusadingknight

I couldn't decide cause i like all of them so i just picked the one that i read the most :P

Ack! How could you forget Terry Brooks, and the Shannara series? Classics ^_^

But I love all of them... I can't choose a favorite... don't make me choose a favorite! **rocks herself back and forth, mumbling in the fetal position** Don't make me choose... don't make me choose...

Edited by Kendai

Yes you missed a lot of very good serries. Fiest,Edding, Brook, and many more.

Ack! How could you forget Terry Brooks, and the Shannara series? Classics

I already said it :P

Anything by Margret Weis & Tracy Hickman ;)

(namely the DragonLance series) I highly recommend these authors! LOTR books put me to sleep, can't say I'm a Tolkein fan, although the movies were great :P

Oh and the Narnia chronicles were my first intro to fantasy..that and the Prydain Chronicles (the black cauldron) by Llyod Alexander.

Edited by Roja

Anything by Margret Weis & Tracy Hickman ;)

:P them's the authors of the death gate cycle... hmm...

Oh, didn't notice that... Brooks ends with an "s", maybe that's why... :P nothing against you of course

And Lloyd Alexander! :w00t:

As a girl though, I'm a fan of Tamora Pierce too... :)

Sparhawk, how could u add names without including Guy Gavriel Kay!!!!! (I mean, its where u got your siggy)

The Fionavar Tapesty -Guy Gavriel Kay

For a single book, Kay's Tigana (believe me, after u read it u will remeber that name)

And though not really high literature but classic fantasy, the original Conan stories.

I don't read much but there is only 1 series or trilogy that I have read...and its the Foundation series. (with all the prequels and sequels)

Terry Goodkind wrote a great series (Don't know if he is who you guys meant by 'Terry') :)

Yes, the Sword of Truth books are great (love the Mord-Sith)

Sparhawk, how could u add names without including Guy Gavriel Kay!!!!! (I mean, its where u got your siggy)

The Fionavar Tapesty -Guy Gavriel Kay

For a single book, Kay's Tigana (believe me, after u read it u will remeber that name)

And though not really high literature but classic fantasy, the original Conan stories.

Oh my! He is my favorite writer! I cant believe i forgot him. It was late when i did my first posts

Hmmm... if i could i would have voted for Michael Moorcock, the Elric stories, or Michael Moorcock in general.

Oh, and the Princes of Amber/Roger Zelazny is a very nice serie too.

Piper

my fav is the Dragon Lance series,

it's about a group of friends, warriors, there's a mage, a half-elf, a kender, 3 humans one being a solamonic knight, a dwarf...and, ah, i'm probably missing a few but, there are quite a few other characters, but they are the main ones. it's based in mideval times, and, oi, i'm really bad at explaining things...well, there are many adventures that they go through, and it's jammed packed with action.

Roja would be able to tell you all a lot more about it then me :P

-kat

omg lol i didn't think it was really read, i got some like maybe the 9-10 first, i really liked the 3/4 first but its like LoTR :) i real LoTR when i as like 8-9 ^_^i was looking for something to read, i saw a huge book so i got it lol... i was really fond of that book (but i also liked "dragon lace" (called lance dragon in frech ^_^)

omg the french versions of DragonLance suck! LanceDragon...I read them, they leave out SOOO much detail it's a shame. If you're french and you read english, get the English versions!

oh and Ttlanhil I plan on reading Death Gate pretty soon :D Entropy told me they're great :P

Edited by Roja