Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vanyel

Forgotten Kingdom

King David woke up soon after midnight. He was sure something bad was up to happen. He felt his Kingdom was in danger. Less than an hour later he was sitting in his throne chamber waiting for somebody or something... He knew it was coming closer and closer every minute and every second.

The door opened in silence and small silhouette of man came in. It was dressed in a long, black cloak. The figure started moving toward David. Its moves were weird - it seemed more to flow in the air than to walk. The man stopped a couple of feet from the throne.

The silence in chamber was undisturbed even by a breath. Everybody was waiting for... For what?

Nobody knew what to expect. The strange figure raised its hands and revealed its face, or at least what was left of its face. Thrills of fear and loathing spread over the room. All people near the creature took a couple of steps backward. It was stronger than them... although the face they saw was deformed they recognized it.

They didn't want to believe in what they had seen. This shouldn't have been possible, but it had happened. The man in black robe should not have been there. He shouldn't have been anywhere in the real world, since he had been dead for the last 2 years.

The face of David looked petrified, but even in shock he recognised the face. How could he not recognise the face of his own father – King Eryk? The dead eyes of Eryk rose and looked around. The shade of a smile appeared on his rotted lips.

“Ah,†his voice was as silent and dry as the deserts of Tahraji, but everybody in the chamber heard it. “It's so good to see this place again. It was long time - too long - since I've been here.†The complete lack of emotions in his voice made his words sound sinister. He coughed. His body was shaken for a couple of seconds.

“It will change soon, very soon. I'm here to give you orders, my son. Yes, you heard correctly, orders! My master, Lord Corvin, is giving you a chance to save your pitiful, wormlike life. You will leave the throne to the successor he chose – that's me – and you will leave this realm,

never to come back.

Lord Corvin is generous and has decided to give you 10 days to fulfil his orders. If you don't do it you will die and all people in the realm you swear to protect will die with you.

You know it's not empty threat. You should know it, if you're not a fool! I will be back in 10 days. Let us hope you will be wise enough not to be here.â€

“No,†he corrected himself. “Let's hope you WILL be here! Hahahahaaa!†The next cough attack shook his body. Soon after this he turned back and left the chamber.

The silence was almost visible in the chamber. After a few minutes David nodded like he just made a very difficult decision.

“So there it is... the dark prophecy has started to be fulfilled... we are doomed†he murmured.

“Your Majesty?! What are you talking about?†asked the Lord Chancellor.

“Ah, my friends... I do apologise. You can't know it. It's one of the darkest secrets of our kingdom - what's more is it is a secret of my family. We are not proud of it, so it was decided to hide this.

"The settler and first King of our realm, King Bleys, came to this realm many years ago as a simple mercenary. Thanks to his wisdom he managed to build a kingdom. This is the official story. The truth is slightly different. Bleys wasn't as smart as we liked to describe him. It was his friend who was the brain of everything. Corvin, Bleys' friend, was powerful wizard and a man of great wisdom. He was the one who made Bleys king, he was the one who managed to stop our neighbours attacking, he was the one, at last, who ruled our Kingdom from shadows.

"Bleys was particularly happy with this situation, but the splendour of being king spoiled their relationship. They used to be friends - they called each other very best friends. No one knows what happened. None were witnesses of the tragic incidents that took place later, except Bleys and Corvin, or... I should say Lord Corvin.

"The fact is that Bleys had Corvin murdered – in most shameful and deceitful way. He paid Corvin's housemaid to poison his 'best friend'. Betrayed, Corvin died in pain. His torment lasted for several hours. With his last breath he cursed, the Kingdom he helped to raise from dust, and promised revenge. His prophecy was ignored by everybody but Bleys.

"He might be a traitor, but he wasn't a fool. He knew Corvin's power as no one else did. He knew that Corvin would be back one day. He made all wizards and priests look for possible ways of preventing Corvin from coming back. They succeeded. Their work was written in two books called the 'Tome of Darkness' and the 'Tome of Revelation'. Both books were hidden to protect them and the knowledge of where they are is lost now. We will need to find out and bring it back to light.

"Throughout the years Corvin and his prophecy were forgotten. I never thought about this as well, until last year. Do you remember the black plague last summer and the flood right after that? We lost so many lives - I lost my wife and my son. Yes my friends, it was the first sign that prophecy was starting to be fulfilled. Lord Corvin was coming back to take his revenge on our homeland and now he IS back.

"I will not give up... WE will not give up... We must find way to stop him. We need to find those ancient books and learn how to do it. Call all our Kinghts. We need to call the Great Council again, after many years. The Meeting Hall will be the place of the biggest meeting in the last thousand years.â€

Some details about contes:

Time:

this sunday (20th of November) about 6pm (GMT) - some changes are still possible, so stay tuned

Place:

First part (read below) will start in White Stone City Meeting Hall. You will be introduced to the contest there.

Form:

Contest is built from 2 parts. You can take part in any/both of them. For best in each part there will be prizes, for best in both parts there will be a bit better prizes.

In this contest there will be slightly more accent on Roleplaying than on following hints. That's why there will be prizes for best RPers in each part (as well as in general).

Second part will take place no more than 2 weeks after first part (also during weekend). We will also submit the story that will describe first part, so you will be able to get into second part smoothly (you will know a plot).

Prizes:

Winners of each part and general rank will be annoucned after second part. Also there they will be awarded. The great ceremony will take place in White Stone City Hall. To make you know something about prizes here is list (not complete though) of prizes for overall rank winners.

I place:

full plate

titanium axe

mirror cape

rostogol stone

5k he

25k gc

II place:

full plate

serp sword

monster magnetism cape

10k gc

III place:

full plate

serp sword

bp cape

5k gc

Best RPer:

50k gc

NOTE: the prizes might change (in plus though, we will not make them smaller)

NOTE II: there could happen you will have to fight to finish contest

<edit>

Precised the date.

<edit>

Still was confusing, now you can't miss it.

<edit>

Changed 3rd prize to full plate

Edited by Aislinn

by next sunday do you mean tomarrow or the 20th?

by next sunday do you mean tomarrow or the 20th?

Don't know if you noticed, vanyel edited his post and it's the 20th.

Yeah, he PMed me. Too bad I won't be able to be there.

So what time would it be for western/coastal time zone? Like say Wahington U.S.A?

You mean, PST? Pacific Standard Time? Well, for EST it would be 1pm. So it would be 12pm Central, 11 mountain, and 10 Pacific.

I can't make it, as its now in 19 mins that I will be seeing HP4. Sorry.

great job with the contest guys. you could tell a lot of planning went into this. thanks much. chances are i will be under a new name for the 2nd part (shyfx right now (it's a long story, but yes, it's my original char with shy's name) will be getting my namechange soon back to Evalin... mabey)

thanks again :)

This event suckz :angry2: :blink::):mean::medieval:

If you're going to say it sucks, please explain why, so the Events team, and others wanting to create Events can get constructive criticsm on what is good/unwanted for Events. COnstructive comments help, just saying, "This event suckz" does help to no one.

having done a few events/contests on a medium scale before (small is the ones I can do myself, medium means organising other people or a minimum of several characters), I can appreciate the challenge of setting up a big one like this.

a couple of clues were vague enough to be frustrating, but that's normal. when you're racing and it feels like every moment counts, the players at the waypoints being a bit slow to notice/talk can be annoying but that's not something that is easy to fix, plus if everyone gets it then it works out in the end anyway

the backstory and storyline were interesting enough to hold attention, there weren't too many problems with players not behaving (which is a nice change for something this size... most players showing up at the last minute isn't great, but hardly a criticism of the team working on this)

the choice not to declare a channel is the one point I might disagree with, even if it's only set aside as telling the players they can chat there. yes, it's not totally roleplay-realistic, and sometimes (though not that often in a public channel) people will give info about future steps away, but I think the chance for players to natter and such is enough to make up for this

overall, quite well done, and I'm looking forard to next week ^_^

Well, not everyone has tele-rings or the money to get through this. Also, not everyone has MM perk/cape. Some people got really frustrated. The timespan was also quite short. RPing is the life for me. For all I care, King David and his kingdom can rot away into a puddle of filth <_<

Even though I think I was one of the slowest people who participated (Dang my little legs!), it was loads of fun! Very creative, involved, challenging, and it was fun to RP for a day :).I can't wait for Part 2!!!! :D

Thanks to all the character sitters :P

Here is the list of these who take part in this part (bleh, it sounds terrible) and of these who finished it. Grats to them. List of winner will be posted after the part 2. Stay tuned, some more info about it soon.

List of players that joined part 1:

thunderchild, thorgard, skodarap, shyfx, Kedan, cayuga, bellx1, ttlanhil, brain, crus, wexy, lamegirl, zorro, furzwei, MoonShadow, Shogan, Shivar, Cyprom, Xodian, HylaWateree, moebird, Tanyia teh Nose, the_Piper, herk, dark_nightmare, sweattea

List of players that finished part 1:

brain, furzwei, Tanyia teh Nose, lamegirl, crus, wexy, shyfx, ttlanhil, Kedan, MoonShadow, bellx1, cayuga

Grats to you!

Note:

You can join part 2 even if you dont' have take part in today's event!

<edit>

some names missed - sorry

in others typos - even more sorry

Edited by vanyel

great work guys i really loved this event!!! one of the best so far (although one of the players i had to talk 2 wasnt where he was ment to be when i went there so i waste quite alot of time, but i will let you of for that :P)

Yes, it was a sweet event indeed...

Erm one question, if those who didn't take part/finished the Part1 of the quest, and they can take the Part2..

What advantage will we (who finished part1) have over those who dind't on Part2 of the quest?.. If we will have any of course :P..

all in all, great quest.. :D

The Chronicle of Quest for ‘Tome of Relevant’

Gerald Tarrant woke up soon after midnight. He had a dream... strange and dark... In the dream he saw the old, very old, woman surrounded by shadows. She spoke to him. He had seen her so many times before and the dream was always the same, but this night was different. For the first time he remembered the words of the woman. Her last words were echoing in his head for a long time after he woke up.

'The time is now... prepare... your fate is waiting for you... shadows will lead you...'

He knew that meeting her was just a question of time and that it will happen soon... too soon probably.

The rest of night was restless for him. Anxiety didn't let him fall asleep again. Questions without answers were running through his mind in mad race. He felt something was going to happen, but what it was, was still a secret.

The light of rising sun found Tarrant completely dressed and prepared to journey. He didn't know what journey it might be, he didn't even know where to direct his first steps. He was waiting for any sign. He wasn't waiting long. Soon after sunrise a young person in uniform of official King Herald showed up on the road. Not long after this Gerald recognised his friend, Joshua. He stood up with a smile on his face to welcome him, but the smile was soon replaced by a more serious expression. Joshua seemed to be very worried. His usually friendly and bright face was grim. There wasn't even a sign of smile in Joshua's face. Quite the opposite; Tarrant spotted shade of familiar darkness on it. The same darkness he knew from his dreams.

'What has happened Joshua!? Tarrant shouted as soon as Joshua was close enough to hear him. He started to run toward his friend. He saw Joshua's face was pale and that the young man was close to unconsciousness with exhaustion.

He start running faster and managed to catch his friend before he fell on the ground.

'Joshua, friend, what brought you here in such condition? Come, my friend, you need to....

'Gerald, there is no time to rest, you must hurry. King David called the Great Council. You must be there. Something.... something terrible had happened... the Kingdom is in great danger. Hurry my friend, hurry up. He whispered and fell into deep sleep. The sleep he would never wake up from. The dark prophecy took its first victim. The first, but... but not last...

Tarrant held his friend's head for a bit longer. A long time later, when he was preparing his friend to his last journey he realised that it wasn't tiredness that killed his friend, but a deep wound in his back. Joshua had been attacked by something strange. It wasn't the claws of any known creature, neither was it a sword or an axe that killed Joshua. It was something he hadn't seen in his whole life.

Soon after, the fire under the stack of wood piles burnt. He said his last words to Joshua and started his journey to the capital city.

The day had just started when the knights of the Kingdom gathered in the Great Hall. Kind David was already waiting for them. His hair, usually bright and full of life, got greyish in less than one week. A small smile appeared on his sad face when he realised that none of the knights of the Kingdom refused to stand at Council. He waited a bit longer, stood up and walked towards his knights... his friends.

'Welcome my Knights. The Darkness has come. Once again the great Council has gathered. Once again you are needed to save the Kingdom.

'The shadow from the past of our realm has come to life after many ages. Its name is Lord Corvin. He and his minions, amongst whom is my father, Eryk, are threatening our lives, our homes and our honour.

'We don't know how to fight with our enemy, we don't know anything about his powers, we don't know…. but we can find this knowledge. It is gathered in two ancient books – 'The Tome of Relevant' and 'The Tome of Darkness'

'We need to find them and this is your aim! This is only way to save us, our families and our homeland.

'No one knows where the books are hidden. Many years ago, the most powerful magician of our Kingdom hid and secured them. The knowledge of their locations was given to the Brotherhood of Trust.

'The members of Brotherhood disappeared many years ago and nobody has heard about them since then. However, I received this message from someone who called himself the master of the Brotherhood.

'He promised help and a way to salvation. You need to find him and follow his orders. He is living in small village somewhere in Seridia. The messanger who brought us the message was wearing the fur of strange, horned animal, though. Go my knight, go and find him. Save our Kingdom. Our hope and blessing is with you.

'I will be waiting here for messages from you. Farewell friends, may the gods be with you.

Being a young child, Gerald loved listening to the stories told by Lanthal, the old elf in the village he was living near. He remembered most of the amazing stories he heard. He remembered the one about Sir Richard's glorious battle with creature called Chimeran Wolf. He remembered that in the far south of Seridia there is realm of deadly monsters and brave warriors. The tales he heard were the stories of wizards of great knowledge and power living between creatures no one else could live between.

He knew where to go now, he was sure his aim was Grubani Peninsula.

To make his journey faster he decided not to take any unessential equipment. He took only his sword and it was obvious that even best sword wouldn't let him survive a meeting with the legendary Wolves of Grubani. He was aware that even most brave and skilled warriors wouldn't have a chance against them, so he wanted to avoid fighting at all.

Wearing his green robe he entered the Styks Swamps. He didn't know where he should start looking. He kept going south, deeper and deeper in the dangerous land.

One day he heard something small moving between trees. He stopped and hid. He spotted a small, white rabbit. He felt relieved, since he hoped to hunt it and eat. Unfortunately, he also heard a loud noise and saw a one-eyed giant going in his direction.

He tried to become invisible. He hoped the giant wouldn't see him. He never had seen such an ugly creature and... he never had smelled something like this. The odour of rotten meat was as thick as fog. He hardly could breath.

The giant spotted the white rabbit and, if one could say it looking at its ugly face, smiled. Gerald wasn't prepared for what he saw then. It was kind of magic. The small, white, and innocent rabbit wasn't fluffy and innocent at all. It attacked the giant and in an absolutely impossible way it killed it. It moved too quickly to spot its all moves, but the effect was clear – the giant died in the flood of its own blood.

This incident taught Tarrant that nothing is what it seems. Underestimating even the smallest of the small could be deadly mistake.

Some new sounds broke the silence. It was for sure human voices. Gerald wanted to stand up and warn the people coming for it was sure death. He was too slow though. He spotted the man wearing white clothes coming to the clearing.

The white-dressed person came without any hesitation and this time it was the demon-rabbit that died in time shorter than a blink of an eye. The white mage cast the spell and the monster just disappeared.

After this the mage stood in the middle of the clearing and looked straight at Tarrant.

'Ah, there you are. Come with me my brave one. I was waiting for you.

The white mage led Gerald to small village at the sea shore.

'Welcome to Ywarstav. This is my home and this is the last post of ancient Brotherhood of Trust. My name is Tylandel. Wait, before asking any questions. Let me talk first.

'Yes, I know why you are here. Yes, I know there is no time to waste. Yes, I know what you are looking for. Yes… The way to wisdom is long though. Many obstacles are waiting for you.

'Before you I can help you, you must do something to help yourself. First what you need is to find the Seer and listen to the prophecy. He was locked in a Magic Trap. It is hard to find the way out there, but this is the place you need to go now. Go… follow the prophecy and come here when it’s fulfilled. Before you go, the Seer will need his payment. Give him the stone in the colour of the sky.

Tarrant had not a chance to ask even one question, when he realised that he was on his way back. He was wondering what stone Tylandel was talking about. Once he found the answer, he started to walk faster. He left Grubani Peninsula with the feeling he would be there back quite soon.

He walked to the small cave near the capital city. Being there he found the stones in the colour of the sky. He could only hope these are the right ones.

Once again he blessed old Lanthal. When Tylandel mentioned the Magic Trap he knew where to look for it! Lanthal's favourite story was about the ancient school of magic in which there was magic maze.

He started the long journey to far north – to Tarsengaard.

The magic school building wasn't impressive when he looked at it, but when he entered it was much bigger than seemed possible. He realised how powerful magicians must have built it.

He was wandering through narrow passages and huge halls. Once he passed a small, wooden door and found himself in place he hadn't seen before. He tried to get back, but... he found himself in the same place. It must have been the place he was looking for. It was the magic trap.

The old looking elf was sitting in one of the chambers of the maze.

'Good day, who are you Sir?

The elf seemed to waiting for something. Gerald didn't know what was wrong. After a while he remembered about the sapphire he had. He gave it to the elf.

The Seer put the gem into a bowl of water and started to speak. His voice was hiding the entire wisdom of ages, but also all of the madness of ages.

'I see the wall of skulls. I see the dark silhouette there. I see this man is holding the dark knowledge.

The unspoiled silence covered everything. Tarrant waited for long time, but the Seer hadn't spoken to him again. When he was leaving the chamber he finally heard a strange voice in the air.

'I see the long way before you and the great battle waiting for you. Prepare...

He left Tarsengaard with ease. He couldn't leave the northern realms, though. He went to Nordcarn. He heard once about the strange skull chapel there. He prepared himself to travel through the cave.

When he entered it he was amazed by the beauty of the stone forms around him. He saw some evil creatures wandering around, but they weren't interested in him, neither was he interested with them.

The feeling of death was getting stronger with each step, but he kept going.

At once he spotted a small and dark figure.

'What'ya want from me! Let me live in peace. Go right now!

'My lord...

'Hahahahaha, I'm not a lord, at least not any more! Now run you fool!

'My lord, great urgency forced me to disturb you. My homeland is in great danger. The evil Lord Corwin is threatening my Kingdom. I'm looking for knowledge of the essence of the evil and ways of defeating it.

The dwarf seemed to be listening to his explanation, so he kept talking.

'Lord Tylandel sent me with the quest of finding the Seer, and the Seer directed me here. Please, if you know anything that could help me, don't withhold this secret. The existence of my realm depends on it.

The smile flickered on the face of old dwarf.

Ah… I have something that could help you. Not many know, but there was only one tome of knowledge – ‘The Tome of Darkness’. The wisdom of the second book was given to the family of most trusted Knights – my family.

' I will help you, this is what I was born for, this is my destiny. You need to find more help, though, before I will share with you my knowledge.

‘You need to find two items: the pendant of Death and the pendant of Darkness. I don’t know where they are, but I heard that priests of the God of Death were guards of the first item.

' Find it and bring it to me. The only thing I know about the second item is that it is born by soil and its colour is a colour of darkness.

'Now go and hurry up.

Tarrant was following Aluwen and even to think about the evil god, Mortos, wasn't nice for him. He knew, though, where to look for his temple. He went straight to Naralik and entered the catacombs.

He heard the choir singing some strange-sounding words. He followed the voices and it led him to the chapel. The High priest of Mortos was leading the prayer to the god of Death.

One of Mortos's followers walked to Gerald and whispered

'Come, pagan, this is not place for you.'

They went to the small room near the chapel.

'What do you want? You don't look to be a follower of Mortos.

'No, I am follower of Aluwen, but... I'm forced to look for your help. I need to find something called the Pendant of Death. Can you help me with this?

'Hmmm.... yes, I heard about it, but tell me, why should I help you? Why should Mortos help a follower of his enemy – Aluwen? Ha?!

'My lord, if you won't help me there will be no followers of Mortos any more. The great Darkness will rule this realm and all people here will die. The nature of the evil isn't clear now, but it's against all that lives, against all gods – which means it's against Mortos too.

'Yes, we felt the darkness. We can't say what its aims are, but... Shall we help you? Shall we give you our most secret treasure?

Tarrant was ready to beg for help. His heart was shrieking against such act, but the feeling of duty was stronger. He fell on his knees ready to offer anything for help...

'No, you don't have to ask longer. I think you're worth this honour and we will help you.

'The pendant of Death. This is a very powerful artifact. We don’t have it, however, we are able to create it. You will have to bring us some ingredients though. They are: the heaviest child of earth, the hardest of gems and the essence of life. Ones you bring me all of them I will tell you what you need to do.

Some time later Tarrant entered Mynadar, the realm of dwarves. That was the place Mortos's priest sent him when he showed him some iron ore, a few diamonds, and essences of life.

The last words he heard sent him to Master of Arcanum in the old Mortos Temple. The cult was banned from Mynadar, since dwarves refused to follow the god of Death.

He entered the once glorious portal leading to the deserted Temple. The small man greeted him near the entrance.

'I know what you are here for. I will help you, however, I don't do it with pleasure. Give me the materials you gathered.

After Tarrant gave them to him, he disappeared into the darkness of the temple. A short while later he came back with a strange looking bone.

'This is it… the pendant of death – be careful – this is a very powerful and delicate artifact. Go and please, never come back.

Tarrant went back to the skull chapel and gave the dwarf the Pendant of Death and a black rose – the Pendant of Darkness.

The dwarf took both and investigated them carefully.

'Yes, yes now there is hope for us. You managed to gather all items needed. Here is the knowledge I have to share with you.

He whispered strange sounding words to the ear of Gerald. Tarrant didn't understand them at all, but the dwarf seemed to be pleased with it.

'Go now to the master of Lost Brotherhood, he will know what to do.

Tylandel, opposite of Tarrant, understood the message from dark dwarf.

'Gods… This is the way it must be done. Yes, it is so wise – life to pay for life, life to save the lives, life to save the Kingdom.

'We still need to find the ‘Tome of Darkness’ though, but for you to do it we need to make the supreme sacrifice. You need to go to King David and tell him that… that the price for the future of his kingdom is his life.

King David was still sitting in Great Council Hall.

'My King, I found first of ancient tomes, but the knowledge it brought is not worth it. This tome contained only knowledge how to find, or rather where to look, for the second of tomes – 'Tome of Darkness'.

'Tell me then, what is the way? Do not hesitate longer.

Tarrant explained what had to be done. King David sat helplessly and put his face into his hands. He was talking very calmly and very quietly.

'This is what I have to pay for Bleys sins. I agree to this. I do it with knowledge and hope that it will save you all, my friends.

'Go now to the Master of Brotherhood of Trust – the ritual shouldn't be done till then and he will know what to do.

'My friend, this is the last time we will see each other. I can only hope the gods will allow me to see you once again and to thank you when Lord Corvin is defeated, but go now… don’t waste time. Go. The future of our home is in your hands.

Tylandel was waiting for Tarrant. His face was covered with sadness.

'King David was right and a brave person. He sacrificed himself, but this act of hope and faith give us the knowledge. You have to go to the Irilion – the forgotten part of our world.

'I will use my magic to help you, since the way to it is hidden.

'Listen to me before you go. You have to find the ‘Tome of Darkness’ – it is guarded by the master of Lore. It will be hard to find him. I have no idea where he could be, but maybe people living in Irilion will be able to help you.

'Good luck my friend, my prayers are with you. Prepare yourself – the journey there could be expensive. Then come back to me and I will send you to the one who will take you there.

More details about part 2 soon.

Erm one question, if those who didn't take part/finished the Part1 of the quest, and they can take the Part2..

What advantage will we (who finished part1) have over those who dind't on Part2 of the quest?.. If we will have any of course :P..

all in all, great quest.. :D

Extra points rewarded, so you get a headstart for the main prizes :)