Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Random days

If that happened, I can only imagine that people will argue about that more than the cooldown when it was first implemented. Just a guess, anyway. :)

And for my former suggestion, I neglected to mention a good idea if you already finished a god quest and that god also comes up for the new day. Put together the god quest exp plus the day's exp means that a devoted person would get TWICE the experience! OK, maybe not twice, but maybe 1 and a half the exp. That way the day doesn't cancel out the god quest that people work hard to finish, and increasing the benefit of getting exp no matter what day it is.

I think linking "special" days to the gods is a good idea, almost like RL. It would also bring the gods further into gameplay. Right now, they're almost ignored except for the occasional invasion. Days thusly linked could have an added benefit for the followers of that particular god and negative effects to non-followers or to players that follow an opposing god.

I agree that this has been a great idea added to the game. People wait with baited breath as the clock ticks over into the new hour to see what will happen.

The Scholars day yersterday went down a treat with everyone!

Edited by neildog

Yes, random days are really nice, and add another interesting thing to the game. They are sometimes negative, sometimes positive - like in real life. :)

I would like them to stay.

Here's a suggested addition for the random days :-

Today is a special day:

Certainties Day

English: 10% of all stored Gold Coins is removed from everyones storage per game hour (59 to 00)

Role Playing: Due to investment in research for more magically related travel to Irillion, Tarsengaard Magic School has gained consent from the leaders of all Seridian/Irillion societies to impose a Research Tax on all Seridian and Irillion subjects. This will be collected magically from each players storage automatically.

Apologies but not sure if this should go here or in suggestions...

Anyway, it will bring the gold coin out of the community quite well, either directly from storage or from deathbags as everyone will try carrying their gold around to avoid it. And some of those will get lost, no doubt. (Will really hit AFK players though...sorry Chaoogie)

- PYEwacket

Today is a special day:

Certainties Day

English: 10% of all stored Gold Coins is removed from everyones storage per game hour (59 to 00)

Role Playing: Due to investment in research for more magically related travel to Irillion, Tarsengaard Magic School has gained consent from the leaders of all Seridian/Irillion societies to impose a Research Tax on all Seridian and Irillion subjects. This will be collected magically from each players storage automatically.

:hides Pyewacket's body behind some bushes: nothing to see here folks, just move along...

Pyewacket, you have an evil, evil mind :hug: you do realize that 10% per hour ( :P ) for some people would be like 10k+ each and every hour, for 6 hours? thats over 60k lost....i can hear the screams already :lol:

good idea, i liked :P but i say the same as Derin, i think chance to good or bad days might be lower and for everyone including newbies.

Today is a special day:

Certainties Day

Role Playing: Due to investment in research for more magically related travel to Irillion, Tarsengaard Magic School has gained consent from the leaders of all Seridian/Irillion societies to impose a Research Tax on all Seridian

Oh, you mean force everyone to sign off just before the hour?

a "smart" player would break even though, just ask MrMind for details

:hug:

A smart player can do anything as long as they are within the game rules. :P

Today is a special day:

Certainties Day

Role Playing: Due to investment in research for more magically related travel to Irillion, Tarsengaard Magic School has gained consent from the leaders of all Seridian/Irillion societies to impose a Research Tax on all Seridian

Oh, you mean force everyone to sign off just before the hour?

or - easier, make sure you have all your gold on you for that day, or be at storage at the hourly mark, and withdraw it before the change.

As for how much could actually be taken, think if a player has 1 million gc in storage. In the first hour change, they'd lose 100Kgc, leaving 900Kgc. At the second, 10% is now only 90Kgc, leaving 810Kgc. The third takes 81Kgc (leaving 729Kgc), the fourth 72.9Kgc (656.1Kgc), the fifth 65,610gc (590,490gc), and the sixth (assuming it'd only take 6 times) 59,049gc (531,441gc).

In a full day, you could lose 468,559gc, but that's not quite 47% - you still keep a little more than 53% of your gold... personally, I don't really like that much of a loss and no return.

Take my gold and I stop playing EL.

Deflation is caused by a lack of money, not to much money. To quote dictionary.com...

A persistent decrease in the level of consumer prices or a persistent increase in the purchasing power of money because of a reduction in available currency and credit.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=deflation

Price drops are due to there being to little money in EL. This is economics 101.

or it could be based on overproduction of goods.

take you pick...

most likely its a bit of both, and thats what makes its a bitch to balance a economy...

take you pick...

most likely its a bit of both, and thats what makes its a bitch to balance a economy...

Well, in truth it is a combination of the two. I just get a bit frustrated by all the calls to limit the money supply when the subject of deflation comes up. It just confuses me as clearly the issue is a combination of to much supply and to little money. I'd never claim fixing the economy is simple. I would claim that removing money isn't the answer, especially in isolation.

Ok...but high-lvl fighters would be at an advantage during the no good stuff while harvesting and the no good stuff while manuing, and the fasting days

(they dont need food, they can get goods tuff off trolls and other high-lvl monsters, they don't manu a lot

Today is a special day:

Certainties Day

:hides Pyewacket's body behind some bushes: nothing to see here folks, just move along...

Pyewacket, you have an evil, evil mind :) you do realize that 10% per hour ( ;) ) for some people would be like 10k+ each and every hour, for 6 hours? thats over 60k lost....i can hear the screams already :lol:

:goes behind the bushes and kills pye again, just for good measure.

I don't like this idea. It's getting hard enough to make money as it is, then to have it taken from you like that is not fun. I have 15k in storage atm, you take away 10% a hour for 6 straight hours, that's over half my money!! If this got implemented, I believe this would be the one thing that would drive me from EL. :(

take you pick...

Heh - I'm not an economist, but I no longer think that deflation in EL is about either money supply or overproduction. I think it's about newbie sellers who think it's "smart" or "competitive" to undercut the market.

Anecdotal evidence: Someone whose name I've never seen on channel 3 will ask for a price check on, say, raw meat. A handful of people will quote around the same price. Minutes later, the newb will be selling meat for a 1/2 or 1 gc below the average response. Raw meat, steel shields, essences - I've seen 'em all bottom out because some new kids feel like they have to beat the market - and their prices will stick. (Yes, we've probably all been guilty of this...)

There are also the regular buyers who jump on any price check with a substantially lower-than-market price. One guy who buys meat all the time priced meat at 3-5gc on ch3 - when it was selling regularly for 5-7gc. Similar effect; newbie sellers take that price at face, then try to beat it <_<

Remember that EL is not the real world. What you learned in Econ 101 may not apply, and things happen in EL that you wouldn't learn about in Econ 101. There's a trick to selling on the EL market, and part of it involves not feeling like you have to sell your stuff right now ;)

Edited by Hanover Fist

Random mutterings came an interesting 'day':

Random Word Day

Today the gods are listening. First to say the 'good' word gets a prize, but say the 'bad' word and be punished. Only the Gods know which...

Filter all chat for the key words, chosen to be obscure but not gobbledook. Could include foreign words on occasion to please non-english speakers.

Well, I thought it would be fun...

take you pick...

No. The real problem with the ecomony is that there is not a big enough variety of items to keep their prices balanced out. Anther problem is that anyone with human nexus 5 will be able to wear ANYTHING, so the prices of the lesser quality items keeps dropping. The overproduction and market fluctuations could be easily counteracted if there was an npc which bought and sold every item in the game. I don't understand why there isn't one.

These are serious problems that affect EL, but I am not concerned if they are ever fixed at all. As long as there is no restrictions on prices, then prices will be whatever players want them to be... (low) :cry: