Eternal Lands Official Forums
help!

Baggjumping in a noobs eyes

<_< Ok im new to EL, and i came from runescape :whistle: Were scamming is againts the rules. But i realy don't get the idea of bag jumping. :)

If you drop somthing isn't it your fault, it is the person who dropped its fualt, unlike runescape people cant take stuff while your sitting on it, so whats the problem with just sitting on your stuff? :wacko:

Seing as i'm new i'm not planing on bagjumping as it seems to upset people, even admins but why not just make it againts the rules?

I've never bagjumped before, infact i try to return anything if i see someone die.

Seing as i'm new i'm not planing on bagjumping as it seems to upset people, even admins but why not just make it againts the rules?

If it would be made against the rules, why even drop any bags?

The dropping could be removed completely...

And, people think bagjumping is kind of outlawish work, but it's not against the game rules.

Well i get that much, but WHY is it outlawish, finders keepers losers weapers? If i was gonna drop my best stuff id be carefull, its a little confusing that it doesnt mention it in the rules, id say most people who bag jump probly don't know its wrong

Just my opinoin :)

Bagjumping actually refers to the practice of setting down bags (and sitting on them, often with sit lock if you're being careful) as you make items, so you can carry more while keeping your food in the bag (or whatever items or ingredients necessary). The problem arises when the character is teleported by Mother Nature off the bag or eaten by a grue, which means that that person is suddenly disconnected from EL, still leaving the bag behind. If you steal that person's items while he or she is gone, that makes you a bagjumper, as it is common courtesy to return the bag to the owner when he/she returns, which doesn't take long at all, especially when they're panicking that they lost connection and trying to log back in as fast as they can or trying to get off sit-lock and walk back to their bag. People who stand around waiting for these disconnections or teleporting events and steal the items as they occur are labeled rightfully as bagjumpers and can be labeled as such in these forums, in the Outlaws section. Although not against the official rules, it is common courtesy and against player-set rules, and the players will take action against you if you do it.

The looting of deathbags is more questionable. When you die, you have a 50% chance of losing items in your inventory. These items are left in a bag where you originally died as you are sent to the Underworld. Although bags can technically remain for 12 minutes (or sometimes less), people will sometimes find these deathbags and loot them. Common courtesy dictates that you try to find the owner of the deathbag, by asking in the channels or if you saw them die, by PMing the owner. However, if you enter a PK (player killer) map, things change. If you are killed by another player, that player has the right to any items that you drop and does not have to give the items back.

I hope this explains things to you ^_^

The general rule in Eternal Lands is that ALL bags are up for grabs by ANYONE. If you drop something into a bag (by free will or death) it is no longer your bag (as far as the rules are concerned).

Players have a "private" honor system regarding bags, that being: you do not take other people's items. If you do it is refered to as bag jumping. Many guilds forbid practices such as bag jumping, BUT it it not against the official rules to do so.

This means;

If you take the bag you will not be punished by moderators of this game, but you may be labeled an outlaw by other players, which may have consequenses. This is also not against the official rules.

It is your game, regarding taking bags its free game, but the community of players might not take this kindly. So if you want to be a likeable player - don't be a bag jumper.

Just remember, it's just a courtesy issue. If you wanna be a respectful and honorable person, don't bag jump. If you wanna be an outlaw, go ahead and bag jump.

I personally don't bag jump, and I'll attempt to return someone's DB within a certain length of time. I will ask on several channels if the DB is anyone's, but if I don't get a response within a certain amount of time (at my discretion), then I'll just claim the DB as my own.

There are others who will go to the ends of the earth to return it, but I just gotta remember its fair game once ur loot hits the ground...and I really can't blame anyone who takes my DB if I die, although I will be mad as hell.

Just remember, it's just a courtesy issue. If you wanna be a respectful and honorable person, don't bag jump. If you wanna be an outlaw, go ahead and bag jump.

I personally don't bag jump, and I'll attempt to return someone's DB within a certain length of time. I will ask on several channels if the DB is anyone's, but if I don't get a response within a certain amount of time (at my discretion), then I'll just claim the DB as my own.

There are others who will go to the ends of the earth to return it, but I just gotta remember its fair game once ur loot hits the ground...and I really can't blame anyone who takes my DB if I die, although I will be mad as hell.

We need bag jumpers or else the game would be too easy and it would take away from role playing.

Oh yes, I entirely agree, but it still can get frustrating. After losing a serp sword and full plate armor, natural signs of frustration and annoyance are sure to appear...but it keeps things interesting at least.

Guest Sabrine

I am fairly new, but my opinion is that if someone dies and their bag is dropped their are choices, if its fairly meaningless items that can be retrieved it should be ok to take (bones, meat, lower level furs) and for bigger stuff you can help if you see the person die but not much you can do if you find them with no one around, not everyone stays on the public channels I know I dont because they drive me batty. And whats to say that there wont be lots of people claiming the bag when it wasnt their death.

I have only come across 1 bag that I saw the person die and it had a few more valuable items in it and I sat on it for like 5 minutes and PMed the owner repeatedly with no response and he went offline not long later so I figure that I can be fairly safe keeping them.

As for regular bagstealing, what is the definition? because I routinely will take abandoned bags, especially the animal bones because people dont collect those as often. I figure the people simply dont want whats in the bag therefore I can take them, if other people seem interested I will try elsewhere but I cant really understand how bags can be stolen, if I leave something in a bag, even accidentilly I expect someone to find it and use it rather than it disapearing. Its such a waste when I know something can be used and no ones using it. I sure do hope that someone found my death bags from my deaths when I lost items cause I would hate for those items to go to waste.

I just read about bagjumping, I have wondered why people do that with sitting on the bags, especially in the storage areas (which confounds me even more cause that is where I see it the most)

Edited by Sabrine

I just read about bagjumping, I have wondered why people do that with sitting on the bags, especially in the storage areas (which confounds me even more cause that is where I see it the most)

They're manufacturing and putting items in the bag to take is easier than withdrawing every little bit from storage at a time. :hug:

I always use the storage for manufacturing, and only put food in bags. And I can't blae someone if they take that bag, because lots of people leave their spare fruit in a bag. I was once lagged out while I had 200 vegs in a bag, and when I logged in, someone was standing on it. But fortunately he gave it back to me, so I didn't have to harvest it again. But this is the worst thing that can happen to me if someone takes my bag.