Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Thurin

Camera angle

I am not even sure if its possible, but being able to move the angle of the camera to almost eye level, or at least a bit more down, would be excellent for the game, since right now there are many places where you go in blinded, in caves and into cities with big walls. You can run into goblins or worse the way the camera angle is set up now. i am just throwing in this idea, but I am not sure if it can be done.

I think I saw an optional patch in the CVS that relaxed the restrictions on camera angle. I'm pretty sure that a shallower angle will give you a considerable drop in FPS. I have in the past asked that a steeper angle be allowed, so maybe I'll go try out that patch myself.

... and don't forget the dense forests! *shiver*

When we built those limitations, we put the limits as they are now because at higher or lower angles there were all kind of artifacts showing. If you really want different angles, feel free to patch the game...

Not engine problems, since the engine was not DESIGNED for such angles. It's like saying that the Mario engine has problems because it can't load Quake maps.

err, look at the word problem in my post. see the "" that are at both ends? problems in the fact that the quality breaks down when you push it outside of the limits set :)

The camera angle I think is one of the most disappointing aspects of the game ror me.

In other games you get a sense of place, that is mostly missing from EL. Through longer perspective you are aware where you are, you see landmarks, and you can see areas you may be interested in exploring. In some sense, without that kind of perspective why be 3D at all?

Is there any potential solution to this problem? Could perhaps the rendering quality drop for longer distances automatically? For an overhead view could a different rendering style be used (foreshortend? I can't remember the right term).

It is a shame just to give up and say "can't be done", a solution would dramatically improve the game experience.

Wow, this was a 9 month old topic that should stay sleeping lol.

I like the camera angles as is... my video card can handle el

as it is now.

Wow, this was a 9 month old topic that should stay sleeping lol.

I like the camera angles as is... my video card can handle el

as it is now.

Right, sorry. I read in another thread that EL is 'isometric', so it makes sense that the camera angle is limited.

i would say el is 3d.. isometric is ultima VII style.. so there's only technical reasons why the angle is as it is.. just by a quick look at the implementation a steeper angle wouldn't be a problem (no idea about those artifacts, will try at some time..), but a flatter angle would require a bigger rewrite..

One big problem is inside the houses. The maps were designed to be at the max. zoom out there is currently-if anyone DOES make a patch for a bigger zoom out/camera angle, they need to make sure inside maps will not let it work, to prevent you from seeing other house insides while you're inside.

Would be nice to make lower camera angle too. If at all possible(probably not).

i wouldn't advise a flatter (wider) angle, as that would increase processor load considerably.. also the server would have to be modified to inform the client of actors that are outside the current maximum region.. so all in all:

steeper = good, probably doable

flatter = bad :D

i'll have a look at it later..

update:

ok, very non-intensive testing seems to show that steeper (up to totally vertical) is ok, though bushes and things tend to look ugly from above..

(much) flatter is a problem, because then clicking the ground doesn't work outside a certain radius (which could probably be fixed) and because the engine only draws a fixed radius around the character (which could be fixed as well..)

but the *major* thing is that right now the camera is *higher* than any obstacles (trees, mountains, houses), so camera collision would have to be implemented etc.. not a good idea :D

zoom factor could be a bit more, (i tried 5, and it still worked..) and a bit closer would be ok too, so you can look at your character in more detail..

suggestions? devs? is it ok to change this within the limits of the current engine?

Edited by ecraven

The limits in the current client are to prevent too much confusion to n00bs. For instance, there are important objects you can't see at extreme angles and zooming farther away allows you to see animals/players suddenly appear instead of walking in. Plus, the larger zooms on indoor/cave maps shows things less realisticly and outdoor maps look worse near the edges.

P.S. for a funny view, try a negative zoom level!