Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kasgoroth

Magic in general & Remote Healing in particular

I think the system of casting should be changed a ilttle bit. e.g. Every time I use the Remote Healing spell I'm having a hard time recognising when my spell was successful. At first the magic menu pops up in the upper left corner, but that's the same place where we get the "spell failed" messages that sometimes cannot be seen because of the menu in front of it. Also if I succeed once I get the green message that tells something like "choose a friendly character to cast spell" within the magic menu, but this message does not disappear after the spell is cast, so next time I succeed casting Rem-Healing I can only find out that I was succesful if I follow the red "failure" messages (no failure message will appear), that sometimes cannot be seen behind the menu or If I've already failed a couple of times the "failure" messages come in a row which makes noticing any changes of the command output impossible.

Perhaps the messages that affect magic casting should not appear in the console as it is now, but only within the magic menu (where the sigils can be seen), and so that the difference between 2 failed/successful attempts can be noticed. (eg. message appearing only for a second, etc)

Also is it possible to make another icon that will appear when hovering over a character that the spell can be cast upon? Instead of the normal hand-icon. I mean only for casting spells on someone (character/monster), the hand-icon itself is ok :)

Any other ideas how to improve this?

I posted in another post about new magic, but imporving magic casting here goes:

I suggest the F9-F12 keys be specifically for spell casting, and you can equip 4 spells at once (to equip the buttons, have 4 bars to the riht of the sigil screen, and 2 square for F9, then for F10 make three, and so on till F12 is 5 that way, too many high elvel skills cant be used, (or make it F9-2, F10-2, F11-3, F12-4).

That way you can keep track of things better, and this way you press say F-11 for remote heal, you look for spell fails, and if you successfully cast spell, make a ONE FOR ALL MESSGAE FOR EVERYTHING THAT READS---> SUCCESSFUL!!

Saves on a lot of things, so if you cast spell you get Successful, and for making pot Successful, and for cruching bones Successful...and so on etc. etc.

interesting idea :)

one other thing that would be nice could be that the mouse turned into a wand when you had a spell waiting for a target...

@duran: exactly, that would be great! After a successful casting attempt the icon changes into a wand (or some other icon) preferably of another color (like green, or red - perhaps green for friendly spells and red for combat spells).