Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Corvox

Quest bots?

Guest Corvox

Ok I have a great idea

what if there is a series of bots that give out quest.

example

3 bots on IP, 1st one stand near the camp fire speaking every 5-10 mins something like

Hello there travelers, Im in need of great help! bring me back 80 sun flowers and 40 silver, and in return Ill pay you 80 gc's

(once this bot have the supplies it messages another bot near by and trades the supplies to him)

2nd bot (one 1st bot traded to)

creates life essences and once it has full emu it will tell new players to /pm it to be healed

3rd bot will also give a quest out for supplies needed to make life essences and give a reward =to gc of curent market vaule of the supplies. and this bot ill keep the camp fire lit for new players.

this is just an example. but if this would fall under the free bot it could provive a great deal of role playing/new enviroment into the game

That sounds like a good idea, the fire never going out, always having a healer. Well, if they were given the right supplies. That would be very neat.

I realize this was just an example, but on Isla Prima that may not be such a good idea. Besides, under "Register your Bot" it says in the rules that there can be no bots on Isla Prima without special permission.

But overall, yeah, if the bots were placed well, that might turn into a fun thing.

Edited by Mhailyn

This idea is not good at all.

1. IP is Isla Prima. The aim is to minimize the fuss for new players,

2. learning to start a fire is one of the things you might want to learn

3. Healing is a player driven action, again, the aim is to learn ppl to play the game.

4. there are quests in the game, some simplified versions of some quests will be implemented. But not in this fashion.

Guest Corvox

that was just an exmaple

But to totally turn down the idea of quest giving bots is foolish.

There can be alot of things done with bots.right now I see bots that sell items they collected and such.

but honestly the idea of bots asking players to retrive them items for rewards isnt that bad of an idea.

another example could be

a bot that teaches players through out sending them toretrive items, then explanning why it need they items

Essence making bot

Go collect 20 red snap dragons 20 red roses and 20 sulfur and bring me 1 of each while your at it.

once you come back and trade the items

bot then starts to speak

to create fire essences use the short cut key ctrl m, now place one sulfur,one red rose and one red snap dragon into the bottom slots, now click mix

you have made your 1st fire essence,hteses can be sold to other players in channel 3, to join channel 3 type #jc3, to speak there type @(then your message)

Im just saying there can be alot that can be done with bots. that can benifit the community and not just the people who pay for them

also you can charge a cheaper fee instead of the 20 usd make it like 5, and I know I would donate 100-200 usd to see a bot that I created ingame helping the growth of the community

but as it stand I would not pay 20 dollars for a single bot that I must code and then can not do anything with but buy stuff from

Back in the days I remember planning guild bots that were working as quest bots as well - was a way to implement our quests without having a server dev spend his time on it. It's definately possible and I don't think it's a bad idea - guild quests can be fun, but would of course cause less problems for the guild members if bots were handling the event instead of real people :D

I like the idea of quest bots, and adopted it for now ... I will test how it behaves on the test server and if it actually get's the permission to be used in the main game is up to Entropy anyway ...

I Like the healing part a lot too...

Assume we would use such a bot (all permissions applied for of course) for the guild and not for the general public ... cool

BTW

LV ... does that go ahead and program it then apply for me too ? Or just for Mhailyn? :icon13:

rgds

albi

Edited by albi

LV ... does that go ahead and program it then apply for me too ? Or just for Mhailyn? ;)

rgds

albi

That would apply to you too of course.

Well, there can be exceptions to the rules, but all the devs, especially Roja and Entropy, must agree. And any abuse, misuse, or mistreatment of these BOTs will result in serious consequences.

IMHO the greatest advantage bots have over NPCs is the ability to wander around, and the ability to be killed. You might want to concentrate on "find the bot", "kill the bot" type of quest challenges, like bounty hunters, or intercepting messengers from different bot-factions.

Edited by Shouja

Some down sides to bots:

Don't forget that bots have to be run by the player's own system...they don't run on EL's server. That means bots disconnect a lot and aren't online.

Also bots have to manually be restocked with supplies by a player(such as the healing bot mentioned) and that is a LOT of work.

Bots also get troubles because of their coding and have to be taken down for repairs. Bots are high maintenance...it isn't like you just program a bot and forget it.

I highly doubt bots will ever be approved for official EL quests. But for your own guild events I think it would be fine. But just remember you still have to register your bot and get it approved and follow exactly what you were approved for. (Click on above button next to where it says "Eternal Lands official community forums"). And you are expected to keep up a high level of maintenance on it.