Eternal Lands Official Forums
sparhawk

World Cup 2006

Lorck - erm I have nothing to say :devlish: Brazil really are the best team in the world. But we all know that the great stars of the world play in Europe :P The money that can be earned is SOOo much greater...and its safer and less corrupt than in South America. I'm sure you understand.

216309[/snapback]

Yeah, most people in Brasil are poor and there are rampant corruption. But we have a few things to be proud of, and one of the things is football (soccer in US).

And in Brasil there are good teams, lets see how good Sao Paulo FC performs in the club's world championship.

In the previous Vasco and Corinthians beated Manchester United and Real Madrid, so the brazilian clubs are not that bad.

This is primarily the impression I get from this -

-European teams shouldn't be too concerned about winning; football (soccer) will still be largely popular, win or lose. It would be nice to win, tho, for a boost in national morale (not that such morale is lacking).

-An American team (if one is still in it) really shouldn't worry about winning; while a win *might* increase the popularity some, the biggest soccer (football) proponents aren't yet influencing mainstream society. A win for the USA would be more like, "We did what? That's actually a sport people care about?"

-However, a Latin American team (like Brazil), should worry about winning. Seems to me that being a big football (soccer) star is about the best sign of success for them, and a win gives people a boost in morale.

And this comes from an American, what do I know about soccer/football?

In the previous Vasco and Corinthians beated Manchester United and Real Madrid, so the brazilian clubs are not that bad.

216314[/snapback]

Honestly, who in the last month didnt beat Real Madrid? Oh, yes, Preußen Hameln 07, forgot that.. :(

Piper

Don't worry MoJo, I know how overhyped the English supporters can get...a nation of binge drinkers, chavs and hooligans have given us a horrible image; and they all worship their chav-tastic hero called Rooney :P

As for me, I only care about England cus Kieron Dyer and Michael Owen are in the squad...why? Because they play for Newcastle Utd :P Now thats what I call loyalty!

Lorck - erm I have nothing to say :) Brazil really are the best team in the world. But we all know that the great stars of the world play in Europe :P The money that can be earned is SOOo much greater...and its safer and less corrupt than in South America. I'm sure you understand.

Martyna_PL - Poland...are you serious? If you are then good luck...I'm sure Poland will need it more then England.

C'mon Newcastle Utd!

216309[/snapback]

Lol Wigan beat you guys... :shame:

-However, a Latin American team (like Brazil), should worry about winning. Seems to me that being a big football (soccer) star is about the best sign of success for them, and a win gives people a boost in morale.

And this comes from an American, what do I know about soccer/football?

Being a soccer star is not just "a sign of success", just see the wages some players recives... Ronaldo is barely average player with big name and receives 500k USD a month only with publicity, the total sum averages 30 million dollars in a year if you count all.

Being a top soccer player is like to be a rock or holywood star in US (not comparing with other sports), and yes, most top players are europeans.

And about morale look at sports popular in US: baseball and american football, when someone wins they call "they won the world series", and forget that only americans play that game. Soccer is extremely popular worldwide, and what most countries (with some exceptions, like USA, Canada, etc) play.

And even soccer not being popular in US they have a decent national team, only too much defensive.

Edited by Lorck

lol THAT was obvious...earlier the Swiss went to beat the Turks and are in too.

But did anyone see the suuupper match of England vs Argentina? Oh yes...3:2 it was!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSss

WE MADE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

after 32 years of trying we finally did it. we completed the last spot to get into tthe world cup by beating Uruguay 1-0 which sent the game into extra time and finally penelties which we won 4-2!!!!!!

WE ARE GOING TO GERMANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

:P

*dances*

*jumps up and down like a lunatic*

*dances again*

Edited by Banshen

Good luck for Australia!!

Oh, and i live near Uruguay and I have a few friends from there (my grandfather is uruguayan), its a bit sad a country which was champion two times (1930 and 1950) will be out of the cup. But hey, good luck for the newcomers!

Yeah! Well done to the Aussies! Its about time the Socceroos are coming to step up to the big world stage in football. They have a better team then most countries but because they are always put in the same group as South America for qualifiers (With the likes of Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Columbia, Peru, Uruguay etc) which is just unfair really.

Now that they've changed their federation to join Asia they now stand a better chance of qualifying for other world cups and such.

I can't wait to see the likes of Brett Emerton, Harry Kewell, Mark Viduka, Lucas Neil, Mark Schwarzer play for their country (I know them from the Premiership).

Great Job ya Aussies.

After 12 years of staying in Australia, the 13th year I go overseas.. and Australia goes into the world cup...

I'm sure the next Cup will be Canada's! lol...I wish...If our best players didn't jump ship to play for another country like say, England, just because on of their parents was English and the English soccer system is a helluva lot better than Canada's....

One day, I swear, Canada will be mentioned in the same breath as teams lie England, Brasil and Italia. (But not in the breath that goes "Hey England/Brasil/Italia whooped those Canadians in football!)

lol

I wish the United States of America was even mentioned...

...oh wait, I'm an American, and it's soccer(football); I really don't care.

Lol, and the Americans are now marked as 6th in the FIFA national teams ranking. :cry:

well guys and gals the draw for the world cup will be finalised by this weekend saturday morning australia time i think friday night germany time and it will be very intersting to see who is in which group! i dunno about you guys but i cant wait im excited!

:D:(:D:D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/w...006/default.stm

GROUP A

Germany

Costa Rica

Poland

Ecuador

GROUP E

Italy

Ghana

USA

Czech Republic