Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Roja

my chainmail shirt :)

Well I finally finished my chainmail! Well almost finished..I still might add some more details and put on some finishing touches :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v59/ffle.../chainmail1.jpg

Had a lot of fun doing it..although it took me a year :icon13:

That is a year of doing it off and on..I didn't work on it for months/weeks at a time. Can't say exactly how many hours it took. Just thought I'd show you guys. Someday I want to try to make real armor that looks like that in the game :D

Guest Enyo

I love it. is it heavy? how did you make this if you don't mind saying? thanks.

Edited by Enyo

Had a lot of fun doing it..although it took me a year :P

That is a year of doing it off and on..I didn't work on it for months/weeks at a time.

211922[/snapback]

really? that's pretty quick to be making it in spare time, from what I've heard

did you spin and cut the links yourself, or purchase&assemble them?

and is it fun to run around wearing that and shaking a sword or stick (or bone, hah!) at people? ^_^

for the other questions: yeah, chainmail is kinda heavy, is good protection against slashing, but not so good against crushing blows(though usually worn with hardened leather underneath, which also helps some) or peircing blows(it's easy to open the links with a stab, they aren't typically welded back together or anything, there is no join, the wire is just pressed end-to-end)

it's also all the weight on your shoulders, takes a long time to make, and isn't very flexible. once plate mail became common, use of chainmail dropped off a lot(as the main armour. use of chain between parts of plate was still done. in fact, chainmail visors were commonly worn even during WW I, in the tanks, to protect from shrapnel). plate is lighter, more flexible, better protection, and the weight is better distributed(plate has to be curved. flat sheet metal is weak, curved metal is stronger)

for how it's made: get some wire, reasonably thick(look at the piccie for reference), and use an electric drill with a bolt in it or something, and then wind the wire around that, till you have a long coil.

cut along that coil, and you have a bunch of rings.

then it's all the time spent putting one after the other till you finish your pattern (again, see the piccie, to see the pattern. a line tilted to left, then a line tilted right, in the main each link will connect with the two above, and two below, but not the two to either side)

don't expect to be able to do it quickly, it can take a skilled smith weeks or months to make one suit of chainmail. you might sell it for $1k, and get about 5-10c/hr (no, this isn't from google, it's from talking to a real smith, who goes to the medieval demonstrations and all. the $1k and 5-0c/hr is in australian, but it's not that different to wherever you are)

what level manu ?

212005[/snapback]

probably mid-range, it's her crafting(ie things of beauty) skill that seems best developed(and well above most of the populace)

ttlanhil what do you mean chainmail isn't flexible? It's very much so. It has a nice "stretch" effect :D

That shirt weighs about 20lbs..that is uhh... 9kg :)

I purchased the rings from the ring lord website. Saves a lot of time, unless you like to wind and cut them yourself :)

And the rings are actually made by taking a mandrel(a wooden rod that's attached to a crank basically) and a long rod of wire and wrapping it-cranking it around the wood rod so it gets the spiral effect. then you cut it with a saw.

ttlanhil what do you mean chainmail isn't flexible? It's very much so. It has a nice "stretch" effect :D

well, I mean as opposed to plate, which is strapped to various parts of the body, instead of hanging from the shoulders. Yours also looks like it has a smaller gauge wire compared to ring size than the sample I have(in mine, the links look a lot tighter together), which probably helps it move more
That shirt weighs about 20lbs..that is uhh... 9kg :)

depends on the metal and how thick the chainmail is and all, I beleive in medieval times the average suit of chainmail would weigh a lot more. with sleeves and making it longer so it dangles down to mid-thigh or so, you can have more protection, and more weight *shrug*
I purchased the rings from the ring lord website. Saves a lot of time, unless you like to wind and cut them yourself :)

And the rings are actually made by taking a mandrel(a wooden rod that's attached to a crank basically) and a long rod of wire and wrapping it-cranking it around the wood rod so it gets the spiral effect. then you cut it with a saw.

212033[/snapback]

heh, the smith I got mine from likes to use modern tools from time to time, such as the electric drill for winding the wire ^_^

it's quite interesting to watch them work, if people have a chance to see a smith at work, I highly recommend it

it look realy cooll i think im gong to make one to:P

212035[/snapback]

have fun!

I'd probably make some too (though to start with probably a square or circle of chain instead of a full shirt) if I thought I had the time... heh. maybe when I'm on holidays

really nice work! a full chain mail like in game in medieval time weighs like 20kg and usualy took a years to make, rings are a bit more little, i really like effect with the too color of metal :D

Yeah I have to say I'm impressed, you even manage to make a fashion statement with a chainmail shirt! I like the two-tone look too, and the way you made it go in the little points at the bottom and echoed it around the neck with the other color.

I bet you are pretty noisy walking down the street though :)

So you have to put this together ring by ring, then solder them each shut too? :D

Yes I put it together ring by ring..but it's not quite as time consuming as that sound. I can put 50 rings together in about 8minutes.

And no I don't solder then shut..I would never be that crazy :D

I just have 2 pliers that I hold in each hand and push them shut so each end is against the other. Some have a small space though, as it's someimtes hard to get them right against.

These rings are galvanized steel btw, 12gauge, 0.5" diameter. Oh and the orange ones are copper :)

Wow, imagine wearing that to a nightclub :medieval:

212117[/snapback]

:medieval: dude! I so gotta try that!

Good luck getting out alive :medieval:

212124[/snapback]

dude, I'll have my armour to protect me! *poses like a superhero*

lol i think placid is fimilair with getting beat up in pubs? first that comment at EL t shirts and now this 1 lolz :P

Guest Enyo

just curious.. now i want to check on the emu of chain mail and platemail in the game to see which one weighs more. if plate weighs less in real life, i guess it should ingame too, right?

i agree with gohan, to have a chainmail t-shirt. would be popular.

plate doesn't weigh less irl unless you wear like aluminum or something ;)

It really depends on the metal, the size of it, etc.

oh and the plate in the game also has chainmail in the cracks.

Steel is pretty heavy, titanium is about 1/3rd that of steel..and iron is..well let's just say no one would want to wear an iron plate :)

roja you used the 4 ring pattern right? i started a while ago on a 6 ring one and gave up because of the folding issues... but anyways good job!