Eternal Lands Official Forums
mihaim

Stats showing

Guest Enyo
Why not make a poll, majority vote would win. Seems like only one or two people like this anyways.  :)

211296[/snapback]

if you think one or two people like this..then you need to learn to count or grow more fingers and toes.

take a look the top 50 page or just the players online.. tons of people are showing their support of this wonderful new feature by enabling #set_privacy on. there is certainly no need for a poll..it's already been done whether YOU like it or not. MOST do like it, btw.. even here on this forum which isn't a fair representation of the people on EL nor of the people who support this feature.. still most on this thread have posted in favour not against. :)

This wasn't started as a poll. I think Aislinn clearly commented about the purpose of this thread.

There's no nice way of stating this, but if you want a game designed completely different, either design it your own game or find one that better suits you.

The devs at times will post polls, but let's not call for one. Let's let them start it if they are looking for a consensus.

if you think one or two people like this..then you need to learn to count or grow more fingers and toes.

take a look the top 50 page or just the players online.. tons of people are showing their support of this wonderful new feature by enabling #set_privacy on.  there is certainly no need for a poll..it's already been done whether YOU like it or not.  MOST do like it, btw..  even here on this forum which isn't a fair representation of the people on EL nor of the people who support this feature.. still most on this thread have posted in favour not against.  :)

211298[/snapback]

Yeah, MacDonalds is the best restaurant, because most ppl like go lunch there. Windows is the best operating system because most ppl use it.

Only ppl who is either a scammer or cheater (and those dont deserve my respect), or very high level pkers benefited from this change... and guess what? they show support of it...

I dont think the unrealistic approach "you see a uber Rambo on the street and cant differentiate it from a cat", would win in such a pool. Why? because most ppl like this game as a rpg, and as such would like to see some interesting stories intead of just randonly attacking each other in pk maps.

EDIT: some spelling errors

Edited by Lorck

This wasn't started as a poll.  I think Aislinn clearly commented about the purpose of this thread.

There's no nice way of stating this, but if you want a game designed completely different, either design it your own game or find one that better suits you.

The devs at times will post polls, but let's not call for one.  Let's let them start it if they are looking for a consensus.

211299[/snapback]

What WAS the use of this topic then? If the defs allready decided to have it done (which is the case) why ask the opinion of the ones using it, the players, the community of EL?

Jez

take a look the top 50 page or just the players online.. tons of people are showing their support of this wonderful new feature by enabling #set_privacy on.  there is certainly no need for a poll..it's already been done whether YOU like it or not.  MOST do like it, btw..  even here on this forum which isn't a fair representation of the people on EL nor of the people who support this feature.. still most on this thread have posted in favour not against.  :)

211298[/snapback]

yes i turned it on aswel becouse u can use it , but i stil dont like it , and if i could choose to get rid of it i would

I believe the objective of this thread was to inform people about the new feature, how to use it, and watch people's suggestions (which is no guarantee that all suggestions will be accepted). We are all beta software testers here, if we keep jumping on devs' throats everytime something changes, it will be beta forever... Lets be more supportive :)

Edited by Ornitorrinco

yes i turned it on aswel becouse u can use it , but i stil dont like it , and if i could choose to get rid of it i would

211340[/snapback]

There are some ppl who dont like perks and still use them or use cloacks... to use a feature does not mean you support it. If your enemies are hiding, you will be the one to stay on the spotlight?

Ornitorrinco, i think there are more ways to show support than simply praising no matter what they do.

There is a bible passage which states:

"Its better to hear the rebuke of the wise than the song of the fools"

There are some ppl who dont like perks and still use them or use cloacks... to use a feature does not mean you support it. If your enemies are hiding, you will be the one to stay on the spotlight?

Ornitorrinco, i think there are more ways to show support than simply praising no matter what they do.

There is a bible passage which states:

"Its better to hear the rebuke of the wise than the song of the fools"

211350[/snapback]

I'm praising because I personally like it. You are saying it will destroy your gameplay before of even testing it. Geez, give it a time and we'll see if the scammers and the ebul pk'ers will really destroy EL as you may seem to suggest.

Sometimes when you add features, it may bring drawbacks in a first moment, but it may also allow further future development. Really, it's not big deal to try it for a while. Finally, if the community decides it's a bad thing, all everybody has to do is boycott the command.

I just used #set_privacy on. And in 1 hour of game, so far nothing has changed to me. Can I say it won't change anything in like 3 hours? Or 3 weeks? No, so lets try it and see how it works out. :)

i mean, its nice to use so others dont see ur stats..but it is anoying if you cant see the stats of some1 else :] ..and i dont like it at all, it have to many negative things..now you dont know when you are rank 1 in things etc, and people be scammed alot. and lie that they are 100 a/d :\

I'm praising because I personally like it. You are saying it will destroy your gameplay before of even testing it. Geez, give it a time and we'll see if the scammers and the ebul pk'ers will really destroy EL as you may seem to suggest.

Sometimes when you add features, it may bring drawbacks in a first moment, but it may also allow further future development. Really, it's not big deal to try it for a while. Finally, if the community decides it's a bad thing, all everybody has to do is boycott the command.

I just used #set_privacy on. And in 1 hour of game, so far nothing has changed to me. Can I say it won't change anything in like 3 hours? Or 3 weeks? No, so lets try it and see how it works out.  :D

211354[/snapback]

If you like the command is fine for me. But you looked at my previous posts? Do you have solutions for the bad things? How i stated before (and was erased) simply praising without bringing nothing new to discussion is pointless.

I do want a medieval phantasy(though some elements of high tech would be cool) mmorpg with some elements of realism. It was stated before "if you dont like feature XYZ, you have to quit the game", but i think this is throw away the water with the baby.

I am suggesting improvements. I do agree this change brought more chalenge to the table, but it brought some bad things also. A lot of ppl (who benefited *directly* from this change) are praising it without even look at bad things, and saying "there is not a middle term, or the stats are completly hidden or not".

I think a half approach is more realistic, but it may be only me.

While i have hope of i can change the game for the better (this include even contribute with the game, but i dont want to be a slave doing only what other devs tell me to do), i will do. If somebody thinks its too complex to implement those changes i proposed, feel free to pm me in game (i know C, i386 assembly, lisp and python, i learnt it all to make scientific progs :) ), and i will help gladly.

Edited by Lorck

What WAS the use of this topic then? If the defs allready decided to have it done (which is the case) why ask the opinion of the ones using it, the players, the community of EL?

Jez

211337[/snapback]

I'm sorry, I figured you had read the thread before responding. So let me point out a very informative and explanatory answer already given to this question in this thread:

Don't confuse suggestions with opinions.

And don't confuse bitching and moaning with opinions either.

You don't really know what gets chosen out of all the suggestions and opinions.  Take this thread for example...if there are some legitimate issues that are brought up that maybe hadn't been thought of before, they will talk about them and analyze them.  If people are just complaining because they are worried about the top 50 list, I doubt that will matter.  The idea is if a lot of people state their opinion/suggestion (whichever is asked for), hopefully out of that bunch 1 or 2 things will stand out as noteworthy.  But you go back and look at all those threads you mention...how many posts are really constructive criticisms and how many are just "this sux"?  And you wonder why that isn't  considered?

211108[/snapback]

I hope this helps answer your question.

Guest Enyo
i mean, its nice to use so others dont see ur stats..but it is anoying if you cant see the stats of some1 else :] ..and i dont like it at all, it have to many negative things..now you dont know when you are rank 1 in things etc, and people be scammed alot. and lie that they are 100 a/d :\

211363[/snapback]

scammed about buying or selling a char? first of all.. there is always a risk involved in buying a char .. personally i hate char selling and no respect for people who buy them for the most part. people will always find a way to scam regardless.

secondly, there will still be an active and accurate top player list.. which just won't reveal stats. you'll still see who is number 1, etc..

edit: as i said before.. this will add more depth and excitement to the game.. will make it much more interesting. most other games don't reveal that data in the first place.

Edited by Enyo

i didnt said anything about buying chars afaik, and many others dont show stats? name one ? cuz i dont know..

If you like the command is fine for me. But you looked at my previous posts? Do you have solutions for the bad things?

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.p...ndpost&p=211171

(at least for one of them)

How i stated before (and was erased) simply praising without bringing nothing new to discussion is pointless.

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.p...ndpost&p=211173

(Derin's idea, I gave my own idea of implementation)

I am suggesting improvements.

So are devs. So are some of us (Derin, Gunslingers, etc...). Why can't we try the stuff before bashing it?

I do agree this change brought more chalenge to the table, but it brought some bad things also. A lot of ppl (who benefited *directly* from this change) are praising it without even look at bad things, and saying "there is not a middle term, or the stats are completly hidden or not".

I think a half approach is more realistic, but it may be only me.

A lot of people agree with your POV. Some other people suggested the use of ranges. I prefer the total omission of the stats because of the possibility of the spyglass-like device. But again, I may be wrong. All I'm asking is that we try it for some time instead fo simply knocking it off.

While i have hope of i can change the game for the better (this include even contribute with the game, but i dont want to be a slave doing only what other devs tell me to do), i will do.

I'm not a slave, but it's devs' game and not mine. The moment I stop having fun here, I just stop playing. So far it's been fun enough AND the development gives me good expectations about new features.

If somebody thinks its too complex to implement those changes i proposed, feel free to pm me in game (i know C, i386 assembly, lisp and python, i learnt it all to make scientific progs :) ), and i will help gladly.

I lack completely this kind of knowledge, and the only way I can help is by playing the gaming and giving feedback. If your suggestion gets implemented, I'll be happy to try it before bashing it :D

Edited by Ornitorrinco

Guest Enyo
i dont want to be a slave doing only what other devs tell me to do), i will do. If somebody thinks its too complex to implement those changes i proposed, feel free to pm me in game (i know C, i386 assembly, lisp and python, i learnt it all to make scientific progs :) ), and i will help gladly.

211364[/snapback]

no slaves here.. this is a free game and if you feel so hostile about it, why even play? you've given insult after insult and changed all of your reasons as to why you hate protecting the privacy of players. you even went so far to say that devs only listen to ME when there are so many others supporting this. you've made your stance.. move on <_< you're certainly entitled to your opinions as are others. learn to listen and perhaps you'll be heard.

you can't seem to make up your mind about anything other than to put others down who disagree with you or who support the devs of this game. why would we want your skills when you don't even support the ones here. you come along and think you know it all. now this isn't a flame but i'm getting tired of seeing you insult everyone who supports the change. just stop it :D

edit: PS no matter what.. there will always be someone not happy.. that's life.. the best thing to do is to share your personal views in a constructive but supportive matter and stop harping on it over and over and over.. you've killed the poor beast now let it rest in peace :(

Edited by Enyo

no slaves here.. this is a free game and if you feel so hostile about it, why even play?  you given insult after insult and changed all of your reasons as to why you hate protecting the privacy of players.  you even went so far to say that devs only listen to ME when there are so many others supporting this.  you've made your stance.. move on <_<    you can't seem to make up your mind about anything other than put others down who disagree with you or who support the devs of this game.  why would we want your skills when you don't even support the ones here.  you come along and think you know it all.  now this isn't a flame but i'm getting tired of seeing you insult everyone who support the change.  just stop it :mace:

edit:  PS  no matter what.. there will always be someone not happy.. that's life.. the best thing to do is to share your personal views in a constructive but supportive matter and stop harping on it over and over and over.. you've killed the poor beast now let it rest in peace  :(

211389[/snapback]

Thanks for you support Enyo :icon13:

About been slave i mean: if i will work for free, i want at least to work in what i like.

In what other way i can support the game if not the followings:

a) buying some p2p stuff ---> i am planning to do it

B) say what i like ----> i do it (look other threads and you will see)

c) say what i dont like -----> is not liking a feature insult mods?

d) offer some work in what i can -----> again for this i want to work in what i like

For flaming ppl not supporting the change: i will like to see reasons about why they support it. If ppl dont like the changes i propose plz say why (like Ornitorrinco did), if not is just senseless insult (look at what you did)

In what ways i do not be supportive or receptive to changes? If that are for good so why not? Do you want to silence ppl who disagree with you?

If cyclops get changed and its harder to achieve the lvl Enyo is, she is all for the change. If some change make she harder to pk, she is all for the change.

If someone disagree with that is flamed. Why not have a system who keeps privacy and prevents the problems stated above? Why not have more monsters?

Again if can help with it, i will do.

Its all was not meant to be a insult to devs. I have to say how many times i want to help, but if the only phrase i hear is "if you dont like feature x, quit the game altogheter", i can not.

I think the feature will not "destroy the roleplaying", but i do think some add ons will make it more realistic and therefore better to the game.

OMG, plz at least look at my suggestion *before* flaming me :icon13:

---> with a ranged system the stats will be preserved, and cheaters, scammers will have a harder day;

---> it is more realistic, because it is the way it happens in the real world;

---> it helps roleplaying, because its more realistic.

There are something wrong with that?

If the anwser is "i like the current system because it comes from devs" or "i like the current system because it gives me advantage over other player", i think i heard that before.

_________________________________-

When i mean "devs only listen to Enyo" it means: devs only listen to ppl who dont disagree with them?

I think only Enyo does not understood that.

I'm not arguing just for the sake of it. I am arguing because i like this game and i am playing dayly from 5 months...

I expect there will be a large percentage of privacy users who are doing it for just this reasoning.

Edited by Xanti

take a look the top 50 page or just the players online.. tons of people are showing their support of this wonderful new feature by enabling #set_privacy on.  there is certainly no need for a poll..it's already been done whether YOU like it or not.  MOST do like it, btw..  even here on this forum which isn't a fair representation of the people on EL nor of the people who support this feature.. still most on this thread have posted in favour not against.  :bow_arrow:

211298[/snapback]

Actually, right now it is not accurate because the #set_privacy command has already been implemented in the game, being used to prevent buddy list requests but not necessarily to hide stats. Until a seperate command is made for stats privacy as Mihaim suggests, this will continue to be a highly inaccurate mehod of seeing the popularity of this idea.

Edit: http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19308 Mihaim's original announcement

Edited by Kendai

Guest Enyo
Actually, right now it is not accurate because the #set_privacy command has already been implemented in the game, being used to prevent buddy list requests but not necessarily to hide stats.

211465[/snapback]

that maybe true.. but the count went up once the announcement was made. i personally know many people taking advantage of this feature.

that maybe true.. but the count went up once the announcement was made.  i personally know many people taking advantage of this feature.

211466[/snapback]

And I'm sure that many were testing it out for the sake of testing it out, especially if there was an announcement in-game. Since this command was brought to the attention of even newbies, they were able to discover a "new" feature of the game. Like anything, it's shiny and new at first, but again like anything, the popularity will more than likely drop. After all, many do like the buddy lists. Give this feature some time, to test out the popularity, and then do a more "accurate" account. Until it is seperated from the no-buddy-list-request command, we will not truly know the popularity of this new feature. ^_^

Guest Enyo
Until it is seperated from the no-buddy-list-request command, we will not truly know the popularity of this new feature. ^_^

211468[/snapback]

that's true but i don't think popularity has anything to do with the impliment. other impliments have been made which weren't always popular but were done so for the best interest of the game.

Edited by Enyo

Given that, Enyo, I personally think this is not overall in the best interest of the game. I could be wrong, but I feel people like you who just don't want to be harassed are going to be in the minority. The people who are going to use it more (I feel): scammers (just gave them a new incentive and way to escape any punishment), PKers (their targets will be stat-hidden, why not them?), and mules (sure, the mods check this more, but players sometimes can spot obvious mules).

While I'm mentioning harassment - we already have #ignore (that everyone worships) and #abuse - are we actually admitting these don't work?

Also, we have gone from one extreme to the other - maybe we shouldn't be able to tell at a glance exactly how good someone is at crafting (for example), but we should be able to tell the difference between a beginner and a master jeweler by how they work. I'm certain if you saw a bodybuilder and a nerd who never lifted a weight heavier than his computer walking down the street, you'd note a definite difference in their build. Realistically, if you look at someone, maybe unless you knew real well what you were looking for, you shouldn't be able to precisely know their skill levels - but if you even take a casual glance, you should have some idea of a general range.

My personal feeling - people need to quit thinking that a new command is going to solve all their problems - we already had plenty to work with before to solve these problems. Is someone genuinely harassing you? #ignore it. If they can keep on, #abuse.

Just my 2 cents again.