Eternal Lands Official Forums
mihaim

Stats showing

Guest Enyo

derin's idea sounds fun.. but how realistic would it be to impliment it?

edit: for those who are annoyed by hiding their stats.. then don't hide them, lol..but please don't complain at the rights of others who do wish to protect their privacy.

Edited by Enyo

Eye spy descriptions of stats: May be better to give the descriptions relative to the character inquiring? Stats don't really have any absolute range, since they can go up ad infinitum (given time), and is everyone in EL going to be pig ugly due to endemically undeveloped 'charm'?

Top-50 lists: Having 'unknown' placeholders for characters with private stats is a good idea, maintaining the current structure and adding an air of mystery :icon13: Otherwise, it would be interesting to show 'percentile rankings' for each skill level -- just showning the percentage of characters at that level or greater (and passed a minimum threshold to avoid bias from unplayed characters).

Some don't play only for be the first.

Cause most of this discuss is about pk, some don't pk and don't care and are fed up with people harrass them or beg them why?

Maybe players will start play, in my mind, MMORPG is a RPG...

211049[/snapback]

The concepts of MMORPG's arnt really about leveling, So much as interaction.

Thats probably why baning isnt so common now, Unless its for a very serious offence.

Its also why it doesnt matter if stats are displayed, Or if people choose to not have them displayed.

It also adds more chance when pking, And more risk.

That typically means more interaction, people will be more inclined to travel in big groups, less inclined to take negative style role play, And less inclined to make trouble, when they can quickly become the enemy of many.

If you are just in it to be at the top 50, Maybe you missed the point of MMORPGs =)

211135[/snapback]

I forget to add:

- about how construct a char : some players ever ask me how put pp and how train, i always answer i don't see a bad effect to know how to construct a char, just ask to good persones....

- about scamming : maybe is it possible have same as health bar for top 50, color calculate between 0 and highest exp get from the first in each skills.... (don't know if it's hard to implement or a colour every 20 levels)

Guest Enyo
- about scamming : maybe is it possible have same as health bar for top 50, color calculate between 0 and highest exp get from the first in each skills.... (don't know if it's hard to implement or a colour every 20 levels)

211184[/snapback]

personally.. i think the top 50 list sucks.. why not just have top 10 ? the colour bar sounds too complicated. most games don't have stats revealed. only a small few do. as for scamming, those who want to scam will always find a way.

personally.. i think the top 50 list sucks.. why not just have top 10 ?  the colour bar sounds too complicated.  most games don't have stats revealed.  only a small few do.  as for scamming, those who want to scam will always find a way.

211186[/snapback]

why only top 10 then? all things you told are same for top 10 too

Edited by shenriss

And another thread goes into senseless flaming... :mace:

Seriously people, Derin gave a good suggestion of how this could be a good thing, and how it could enrich the gaming experience... lets be more receptive.

Here's the link for Derin's comment: http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.p...ndpost&p=211159

:icon13:

Edited by Ornitorrinco

Guest Enyo
why only top 10 then? all things you told are same for top 10 too

211190[/snapback]

i think the top 10 list is good enough to show the best players in each skill.. anyway, it's just a thought. most sites who show the top players.. don't show stats and it's usually only top 10.

Guest Enyo

i wish that people would learn how to debate without personal attacks :P

protecting the privacy of others is for all who desire and for various reasons. it will make the game more interesting. don't think of this as something negative cause it's not. :omg:

for the record.. since the privacy feature now blocks stats from being revealed.. a large percentage of EL now has their privacy enabled. :icon13: no one forced them to do that.. :D .. obviously people are supporting this by using the option.

edit: for me.. this protection of stats brings more meaning and purpose into the game. i, like many others was striving to be the best but that's really not what the game is all about...I soon lost interest.. stopped playing and basically spent more time chatting because it gets boring to "train" .. it's repetitive and the spawn fighting, etc etc etc.. aggression, jealousies.. guild wars..

yes, haven't we all been guilty of watching the stats of an enemy or a rival or even a friend..i know i have :brooding:

EL is not about leveling up or about being the best.. eternal lands is a medieval/fantasy type role playing game/community.. there is so much more to do than to watch the stats of others and hoping that you'll make to the top 50 list.

change is sometimes hard to take and we usually resist it as much as possible.. even outside the realms of eternal lands.. but in the end, change is usually a good thing.. so instead of spending so much energy resisting.. why not embrace it with open arms and see this as something positive. :mace:

Edited by Enyo

I have privacy on only cos of one reason - no unwanted buddy_requests.

I don't mind to show my stats to other - stats are more less nothing.

I don't check stats, don't check top 50s for some time - no need. Most of ppl I love inhere aren't on top 50s.

i think the top 10 list is good enough to show the best players in each skill.. anyway, it's just a thought.  most sites who show the top players.. don't show stats and it's usually only top 10.

211195[/snapback]

I must respectfully disagree, Enyo: I like the current setup of the top lists.

I don't care who are the best in a skill, really, only how good I am; and must admit a bit of pride to having found myself at #50 in harvesting before this came into play...

after it was in, I checked, and had become #42 harv - well, I'm going to wait to comment on that as Mihaim said that would be fixed.

Remove the Top 50 page, and any other Top X page. If people can opt to hide their stats, then the Top 50 isnt accurate anyway.. its just the top 50 people who havent enabled the privacy option - if enough people enabled the privacy option, the top 50 people would be players who no longer play but their char remains active.

Instead, make a Top 10/20/50/x Guilds page. Not now obviously, as there is nothing to rank them on other than member count, and being the biggest guild doesnt automatically make you the best.

With the planned changes Ent mentioned in this thread, there could be a system implemented to rank guilds rather than players - this would have to include players who have hidden their stats to give an accurate score for guild ranks, but individual player stats would still be hidden.

If you implemented this and Derin's suggestion but instead of it being magic related, you could make Charm and maybe Instinct the prerequisite skills and have people go and spy on your enemies.. the higher their charm/instinct the more (or more accurate) information a player can reveal about another player - maybe only available in pk or certain areas though.

Instead of totally removeing the stats pages i would prefer a compromise between haveing no stats to haveing all stats.

as suggested it would be a resonable idea to have ranges of stats, perhaps in ranges of 5, 10 or 25 so there would be a slightly different page saying that the person had stats in the range of 90 and hide the fact that they had stats of 94 for example, that would allow for people to know aproximately how strong they are but not as acurately as before which should reduce some of the potential possibilites to use this to scam.

Guest Enyo

gunslinger has a few good ideas.. but i still also like derin's idea with magic.. either will work i guess as long as it's still not revealing numbers but instead as derin suggested.. this player is average, or advanced, poor..etc.. the same could go for charm and instinct as gunslinger suggested.

dns, i'm personally opposed to any player's list revealing stats .. from what i understand the player's list will show all the top players but not reveal stats.. that's basically what most games do.. most games actually only reveal the top 10 players without showing stats..

i want my stats protected. i know many others who feel the same way.

When you see someone on the street, do you know how good he is when it comes to mining, crafting, or fighting?

211043[/snapback]

You are right about that, it becomes more realistic that way.

But..i will give you a few examples of when its very usefull to have all stats shown:

1) when someone asks a GM to join their guild, its good to know what stats that person has. For some guilds its a must to have certain stats (not ours btw, attitude is far more important then stats to us, lol) But..if a person is lying and cheating his way into a guild it causes stress and anger and bashing when the truth comes out.

2) If a person needs something made, its usefull to know who to ask :P

3) if a person or guild is looking for a certain high skiller (is that even a word??) to add to a guild or ask for help in a, let say, a HE party, its handy to look at the stats page and find a high alchemist.

4)as said before by others, its nice to see someone progress in his/her skills

5) you can find 'soulmates'with same stats, or same intrests on the statspage, for those that have that need.

Now..there are also reasons NOT to have your stats shown..

In fact, all of the above can be counted as being negative as well. I know players who get sick and tired to be asked to make stuff for them :)

Also.. alledged macroers can be spotted now by our very own 'community watchers' (im not talking by the mods, im talking bout the players citizens watchers :) When someones stats rise quickly all of a sudden, it MIGHT be macroing and that person can be reported/checked out by the proper authorities.

Thats my opinion on the matter, and, frankly I dont see the use of having such command.

*hugs*

Jez

Guest Enyo
when someone asks a GM to join their guild, its good to know what stats that person has. For some guilds its a must to have certain stats

211214[/snapback]

actually..there could be a command for each guild.. only accept players with ad 40 or whatever.. pretty much like you required to have a skill of 20 or above in order to join a guild in the first place.

as for the other issues you addressed.. showing stats isn't needed in order to ask someone to a HE party or asking someone to help make you something.. eventually people will know who to trust anyway.. yes, there's more of a risk but at the same time it makes the game all the more believable and realistic... plus adds an element of intrigue..

Edited by Enyo

having certain a/d stats to join a guild wont be much of a problem. Just watch the player fight a certain monster to see if he is strong enough to join.

For the other stats, you could always ask the person to set their stats visible for a minute.

Guest Enyo
when someone asks a GM to join their guild, its good to know what stats that person has. For some guilds its a must to have certain stats

211214[/snapback]

actually..there could be a command for each guild.. only accept players with ad 40 or whatever.. pretty much like you required to have a skill of 20 or above in order to join a guild in the first place.

211216[/snapback]

That depends, whetter how important it is for a guild to have good stats. For me, the right attitude and a good personality is much more important. When you take a newcomer with the right personality up in your guild and take the time to train him, you will have raised his stats in no time. Helas, not all guild have a newcomer training programm.

my response was to your suggestion that some guild "require" certain levels in order to join.. i gave a logical solution..

Dont we have enough intriges in this game? ^^

*hugs*

Jez

211217[/snapback]

we never have enough :P ..there is always room for improvement.. isn't that the purpose of development? :)

edit: thanks Nidan.. good point :)

Edited by Enyo

... you could always ask the person to set their stats visible for a minute.

211220[/snapback]

Thanks Nidan, that's exactly my point too :)

If you ABSOLUTELY need to see someone's stats for some purpose, you just ask this person to show them for a while. If the person refuses, then sorry, we can't fight/add you to guild/etc...

I simply didn't care about this issue when it first was announced yesterday, but after thinking about some possibilities, I'll start to endorse it :P

Edited by Ornitorrinco

Guest Enyo
I just remembered when i started playing there were no stats online at all. So it's just back to those days i guess  :P

211227[/snapback]

what was it like back then? did you have a top player list?

no. we just had to guess if someone was strong or not :P

But that wasn't much of an issue back then, because there was only 1 PK map: Ruins of Tyrnim. I couldn't really go there anyway, because of the male orcs.

When you see someone on the street, do you know how good he is when it comes to mining, crafting, or fighting?

211043[/snapback]

to a limited degree, yes.

far more with fighting than the others, though. signs of combat will be on them. you won't see levels, but if you have some skill in the area you'll probably be able to figure out roughly how good they are pretty quickly. the better you are, and the more perceptive(heh) you are, the more accurately you can gauge someone elses' skills

this discussion has come up more than once before, my opinion is the same: based on your skill level and perception, you can get a rough gauge of how much better/worse you are in comparison to someone else

of course, knowing the numbers is useful too. I sometimes check stats, usually of newbies, to give them help based on that. stuff like the 'you should keep all stats even for maximum effect' (and the 'you need a skill at 20 to join any guild', or 'you need to gain skills before you can join my guild'(though that one has been covered already)).

granted, the number of newbies who know you can turn it off will be lower(unless it defaults to on), but it'll still be there

Ok, since ppl just simply dont read my previous posts i will try to resume:

-To know exactly a person stats is unrealistic, but having no knowledge at all is more unrealistic;

-Next time i will see a boxing fight i will not look of the size and agility of the opponents, for respect of their privacy;

-In the now current system, watchers cant see if someone got a sudden increment in their stats;

-With a ranged system of showing stats using the look command, it seems much more realistic. Or using colors, or anything else.

-In the current system the bad doers can change their name and nobody have elements to know nothing about him or their previous actions. Now this is better for the 'community' in what way?

-Without reveling much information, how a person will be harassed for having stats? (OMFG, Lorck knows my magic level goes to 25-50, what i will do?)

-Guild stats page is cool

-I'm not even talk about scammers... some ppl think is good to have some bad guys so if it benefits them more power to them.