Eternal Lands Official Forums
Mireille

A definite solution to manu and crafters' problems

We all know that to be able to make things people might buy, you must first make tons of things people don't buy (such as teleportation rings... did this improve since the update? I haven't played yet...). So HOW to make people buy things they don't want to buy?

Make them things required for quests. You have an NPC. This NPC gives you a quest which consists of bringing, say 100 iron swords and as a reward you would get some attack experience. This is just a basic mechanism and it can be used in many, many ways - the NPC might ask for 100 IP rings, 100 leather gloves, 50 s2es and so on and so on. You get the picture.

Since players who don't do manufacturing or crafting wouldn't bother to make so many things themselves, they would be more willing to ask people who do such things "professionally" and actually pay them.

What do you think?

And this method only works if you constantly add enough quest NPCs to compensate for how many people finish these quests up. If you don't, the problem comes back.

And this method only works if you constantly add enough quest NPCs to compensate for how many people finish these quests up.  If you don't, the problem comes back.

209070[/snapback]

There is a number of new players entering the game. EL is popular. So there is likely to be a demand for the "junk stuff" for a long time.

And in my opinion, people who are experienced enough to make disengage and damage rings (in the case of crafters) wouldn't waste their resources (bars, basic silver and gold rings, FEs, time...) to make crap when they can do items that yield more experience. They would get rid of their stocks and leave making junk to the beginners, who have to make it to advance.

Edited by Mireille

good idea but daxon is right the problem would come back

so make that quest npc and a npc that buy's the junk

or ask polly the beaver to eat em :hiya:

Teleport rings should be more popular but aren't.

Why? I have no idea. I'm a crafter and I use them all the time.

Need to make some quick cash? I mule titanium ore to the WSC Blacksmith. One WSC ring to get there, one Portland ring to get back. I can easily make 20k in an hour doing this and that's not even trying hard.

Is there a contest going on (like the one recently about the first one to finish the new crafting quest)?? I used rings to move through the various maps. In fact, I started 15-20 minutes after everyone else and still won. Considering that the prize was 5 rings (partially recovering what I used to win) and a ROP, I still came out on top.

Did you die? In some place far away like Naralik? Hop out of the underworld, head to the closest storage (VotD), grab a Naralik ring (also good for south MM and northern Grubani) and you just saved yourself nearly 4-5 minutes of walking (and potentially losing your death bag to someone else).

Need to make some quick cash?  I mule titanium ore to the WSC Blacksmith.  One WSC ring to get there, one Portland ring to get back.

I do the exact same thing.

Now that I can make my own rings, I'm finding I use them more and more to move about the land. Saves a lot of time just setting there watching my character walk.

Im working on crafting, but the leveling in slow and expensive. I hope to have Teleportation rings so that I can jump around easier. Perhaps people do not want to carry rings of each map because it takes too much space up in the inventory? What if we allowed these rings to be "Worn" That is they would have different slots in inventory just for rings. Would that increase the demand for Teleportation rings?

Edited by Brom

So long as people have to produce items just to improve their characters, supply and demand will not be able to balance.

I would prefer seperate training exercises (cost ingredients, produce nothing) to give experience, and only token (or no) experience for producing items. Levellers would only produce items to get money to fund their training. Hopefully items retain value?

And this method only works if you constantly add enough quest NPCs to compensate for how many people finish these quests up.  If you don't, the problem comes back.

209070[/snapback]

Not if said quests are repeatable.

The quest team will look at this

Wearing rings won't make them more popular, quite opposit, some people will stop using them at all. Fighters in full gear don't have even 1 empty slot for item like ring.

Wearing rings won't make them more popular, quite opposit, some people will stop using them at all. Fighters in full gear don't have even 1 empty slot for item like ring.

209283[/snapback]

I *think* Brom was suggesting adding a slot (or two) for rings.

good idea but daxon is right the problem would come back

so make that quest npc and a npc that buy's the junk

209084[/snapback]

So how about this one:

A quest which rewards you with pick points. You bring tons of junk and get a PP or two. And you would be able do do this quest again after each #reset.

how about you gain exp in a skill of your choosing for using a ring? but only like 1/5 of an exp point per ring

Edited by gilthanas

Teleport rings should be more popular but aren't.

Why?  I have no idea.  I'm a crafter and I use them all the time. 

209104[/snapback]

they are too expensive - crafters want to make huge profits and sell way to expensive. No wonder hardly anyone buys them on the free market.

Edited by kl4Uz

209070[/snapback]

Which is where dynamic quest generation comes in. Quests are generally the same, but the toughtness/location changes depending on level etc.

So how about this one:

A quest which rewards you with pick points. You bring tons of junk and get a PP or two. And you would be able do do this quest again after each #reset.

209305[/snapback]

I do not see pickpoints coming as a quest reward - ever.

Pickpoints is an abstract function of experience gained, so experience rewards yes, pickpoints as a result of gained experience maybe (depending on your level and such).

There will be a lot more quests and things in the game, so be happy, don't worry :hehe:

I *think* Brom was suggesting adding a slot (or two) for rings.

209284[/snapback]

He is correct. Though my idea was more along the lines of Ten ring slots, so that you could wear a ring on each finger...But that would be a little much eh? Perhaps 3-5 Ring slots where you could stack a max of 2-3 rings per slot :P The numbers are not important to the idea, just the idea of having slots "Set apart" from the main inventory, People will want to fill those slots.

I do not see pickpoints coming as a quest reward - ever.

I agree.

Edited by Brom

Which is where dynamic quest generation comes in. Quests are generally the same, but the toughtness/location changes depending on level etc.

209347[/snapback]

Great idea. :hehe:

Great idea. :hehe:

210783[/snapback]

the down side is that they're more work :)

that's not to say it won't happen though. here's hoping ^_^

Edited by ttlanhil

the down side is that they're more work :hehe:

that's not to say it won't happen though. here's hoping^_^

210786[/snapback]

Well yeah it would be. However, this system actually works. Generated missions in Anarchy Online are outstanding. There are two 'mission' types (IIRC). Go kill everything and you get reward, go fetch something (still killing everything) and you get a reward. Sure, all you have to do is the same, but the toughess actually increases. The generation system is very advanced there. You get sliders to select what you want: XP or Cash, difficulty, stealth or all-out beating. This wouldn't fit in EL, but its an example of how this system could work.