Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
frak

ive been exploring

That is not what I think it is. Umm it probably is.

::Eagerly awaits what the Dev's will say::

-Fog of War

-Players shown in close range

-Green = Friends

-Grey = Everyone else?

-MiniMap in a window

Edited by Brom

the idea of fog of war has come up before, the result of that discussion seemed to be that people would easily be able to mod the client to remove it

also, the maps that come with the client have the authentic-hand-drawn look... mixing that with FOW is silly (if you want FOW, use a bird-eye style map)

showing where nearby people are on a fragment of the current minimap without darkening anything, though(unless you make people further away darker), sounds good

and as a side point, does it do the wraith (since he has a grey name instead of blue, in case that's what you're checking on) as NPC colour?

Frak, that is absolutely rocks!!

Got a patch? ;-)

208586[/snapback]

Yes, If it is approved and we are allowed to apply it. :P

Yes, If it is approved and we are allowed to apply it. :P

208755[/snapback]

entropy asked me to do it. so it is approved. its my "patriotic" work XD im only 75% done though.

the idea of fog of war has come up before, the result of that discussion seemed to be that people would easily be able to mod the client to remove it

also, the maps that come with the client have the authentic-hand-drawn look... mixing that with FOW is silly (if you want FOW, use a bird-eye style map)

showing where nearby people are on a fragment of the current minimap without darkening anything, though(unless you make people further away darker), sounds good

and as a side point, does it do the wraith (since he has a grey name instead of blue, in case that's what you're checking on) as NPC colour?

208577[/snapback]

Full ack.

208577[/snapback]

the minimap uses its own bitmaps. i just took a copy of IP map to have at least something.

208577[/snapback]

theres no color information in actors names (atm). it chooses by actor type n such. wraith is blue on minimap.

the minimap uses its own bitmaps. i just took a copy of IP map to have at least something.

theres no color information in actors names (atm). it chooses by actor type n such. wraith is blue on minimap.

208981[/snapback]

Whats the practicality like? I mean, if your in 640x480 its just gonna get in the way. Currently, because EL is windowed by default, the use of windows are annoying (they are justified and easier to use in fullscreen). If say, using 800x600, is the minimap practical to use?

Whats the practicality like? I mean, if your in 640x480 its just gonna get in the way. Currently, because EL is windowed by default, the use of windows are annoying (they are justified and easier to use in fullscreen). If say, using 800x600, is the minimap practical to use?

208982[/snapback]

it will help you exploring, cause it can show where you been and where not. i dont think its meant to be open all the time, it doesnt replace the normal tab map.

it will help you exploring, cause it can show where you been and where not. i dont think its meant to be open all the time

I didn't mean justify it, its use is endless! I was just wondering if it gets in the way thats all ;-)

it doesnt replace the normal tab map.

208985[/snapback]

Of course :)

you "could" add a very small version of the minimap in the corner of the Gui. Perhaps upper left or upper right. But just the viewable distance around the actor "shouting distance" The rest of the minimap would need to scroll with the character moving. Just an idea, would not take up too much space.

I trust you guys. Just giving input ;) A small square in the minimap with what is visable. in a smaller minimap in the main gui.

I trust you guys. Just giving input :) A small square in the minimap with what is visable. in a smaller minimap in the main gui.

209222[/snapback]

Don't think it'll look very elegant Brom.

209217[/snapback]

Its nice to be able to hide/show the windows. It would just look crap if it were hacked into the gui, IMO.

i like the idea of the "radar" in corner of root window too. and it dont have to be hardcoded into the gui.

my idea is to show the visible area as a disk in perspective 3D and rotating it with the camera rotation. = combine compass and radar.

I don't think that would look very good, and would defy the purpose of a minimap. The minimap is supposed to give you a strategical overview, not a tactical one.

heres a patch: http://reloaded.iuk.hdm-stuttgart.de/~rutk...ap-patch.tar.gz

this is for developers. u can play with this!

its a cvs diff file, 2 new .c/h files, and a texture circle.bmp that goes into textures folder of el.

minimaps textures are called <mapname>_m.bmp. e.g. startmap_m.bmp for IP. they are in the maps folder.

exploration is saved in maps folder too, in files called <mapname>.xm (currently they are only saved at a mapchange)

the minimap is not finished yet. but some asked for a patch to test it.

btw: i worked on linux only with emacs and gimp. it should run on windows. but i havent tryd it. :P

its a cvs diff file, 2 new .c/h files, and a texture circle.bmp that goes into textures folder of el.

209410[/snapback]

cvs add minimap.h
cvs add minimap.c
cvs diff -Nu 

With Regards

Lachesis

A small update:

The colors of the players will be given in the guild name color thing.

The animals will be as before.

Soon the guild masters or those with a level over 15 or so will be able to make a list of colors for other guilds. Like this guild will show as purple, this one as white, etc. That color will be used for the minimap colors.

A small update:

The colors of the players will be given in the guild name color thing.

The animals will be as before.

Soon the guild masters or those with a level over 15 or so will be able to make a list of colors for other guilds. Like this guild will show as purple, this one as white, etc. That color will be used for the minimap colors.

210233[/snapback]

Which is why the short name thing is going to be complicated to change?