Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheComet

Stealth+running

I've been thinking that it'd be a great idea to have running in the game. Perhaps while you are running, you lose an additional 1 food rating every 30 seconds while running. Also, a stealth engine would be sweet. Although it wouldn't do much for PK, maybe it could allow you to stay undetected near monsters and perhaps if you attack one undetected you could have a damage bonus. If that was in, have books for stealth research for stuff like prehaps climbing and hiding inside trees and bushes, or perhaps maneuvers like slitting/snapping an unaware enemy's neck from behind.

I'd guess that I'm not going to be the only one to tell you this Comet but both of these ideas have been raised before :P The running one seems to have been dismissed immediately and the stealth (sneaking) idea has never been dismissed outright, so I assumed it is one of the many suggestions which are 'under consideration'.

Heh, I had a feeling I should've looked around the other pages first about that. I still think they need running though, I don't feel it much when I'm walking for my life from a bear lol...

Heh, I had a feeling I should've looked around the other pages first about that. I still think they need running though, I don't feel it much when I'm walking for my life from a bear lol...

207217[/snapback]

running is on the "it'll happen in a long time" list.

currently, everyone and everything in EL moves at one of three speeds. stationary (ie not moving), teleporting (instant movement over a range of distances), and walking pace (one square per game 'tick')

the pathfinding is already one of the highest CPU-using things in the server, and the adjustments for differening speeds, while currently possible, would drive up the processing requirements. might go from a max of 1k players at a time to 100 or less

once it's possible to do well, it will be, until then, forget it ^_^

running is on the "it'll happen in a long time" list.

currently, everyone and everything in EL moves at one of three speeds. stationary (ie not moving), teleporting (instant movement over a range of distances), and walking pace (one square per game 'tick')

the pathfinding is already one of the highest CPU-using things in the server, and the adjustments for differening speeds, while currently possible, would drive up the processing requirements. might go from a max of 1k players at a time to 100 or less

once it's possible to do well, it will be, until then, forget it ^_^

207220[/snapback]

ouch, I didn't know the pathfinding script took up that much CPU. Maybe someone should take a peek around Newgrounds.com's forums to see if anyone can make the script more efficient, you'd be surprised how many skilled programmers are down there, just have to dig thru a light layer of n00bishness and you'll meet some real pros.