Eternal Lands Official Forums
Ratman

Why modified clients?

Very difficult to understand why can someone say at all when using a modified client that he is using it because it has no advantage or even disadvantage...

If they dont give any advantage sure they should be free to use for everyone after approval.

I would like to see a result of a poll where is asked : Do you think its fair that other players can use modified clients and others not. Sure many dont even like to play this after heard that he is using a "noob_client". Well..Now I know what noob means..:P

And as has been seen that some clients has the approved versions and then "pro"-version;just wondering what is that pro version for.........

Still requesting some kind of "game-guard" -clientside which would keep track of the used client. Seen kind of that in "Empire of Martial heroes" (nProtect gameguard) which though disabled me to try the previous version because it triggered me as game-hacker.."so "false positive"..

That would maybe be a challenge for some technically oriented programmer who would be more interested about just that subject. Dont know if that nProtect software would even be free to use as that game aslo is. And im not at all advertising it because its not for me, 100% full speed fighting only.

Well..just had to take part in this sad ???? of this week. And didnt want to comment those hopeless explanations which only make even more pissed off...really better count to billion before answering there when u just are angry for yourself but directing your anger to creators of this fantasticalisious :P game..

The more right object to anger like seen are the "developers" of those modified clients...all and not only this "illegal" one(s)

Just sad that things like this will sure take a lot of time and whats the worst: a lot of motivation (I really hope im wrong) from developers and also moderators.

Ratman aka Willson

ps. :medieval: anyway...

If they dont give any advantage sure they should be free to use for everyone after approval.

ef client had features like ef guild MOTD, and a EF theme (see screenshots). so even if it was an approved legal client we wouldnt give it to public.

Please dont even think about using modified clients and such at the moment.

Usage of such clients is illegal, because the developers are still working on making the client stable. So any trouble related to modified clients would only slow down the stabilization process.

And that is the last thing we all would like to happen right now.

Piper

I wonder if it would be worthwhile checksumming the executable and assets?

206423[/snapback]

It's more impossible as anybody can compile his own UNMODIFIED CVS client with various optimizations from the compiler that would give different checksums depending on the processor/compiler/optimizations/OS/CVS used/etc. :D

It's more impossible as anybody can compile his own UNMODIFIED CVS client with various optimizations from the compiler that would give different checksums depending on the processor/compiler/optimizations/OS/CVS used/etc. :D

206430[/snapback]

Also, people could modify their own client to report the proper checksum. Something like gameguard would be very expensive in time and money to put in place and would have to take into account a lot of variations and still allow for new client development.

Some slients are made for guilds, like before the update riva had its only client, it was accepted by the dev's but we just kept it to ourself's. Yes it did have a few little advantage's like extra zoom, and the coloured gm's, and my personal favuoit was the skills in the side bar have a exp bar underneath it. And is it really fair that if someone spends there time working on a client for their guilf that it then has to be shared with everyone? Ofcourse as our code gets sent to the dev's they can use some of the code if they think it would make the game better, but thats up to them :(

Very difficult to understand why can someone say at all when using a modified client that he is using it because it has no advantage or even disadvantage...

during normal times(not the testing phase we're currently in), yes, if all changes are legal then people can use them... unless you have special permission you have to have all changes passed, which means posting to berlios, which means anyone who can compile CVS can use them... not that people necessarily will. one of my patches was to add a few silly #commands... wouldn't expect that to cause much interest :hehe:
I would like to see a result of a poll where is asked : Do you think its fair that other players can use modified clients and others not. Sure many dont even like to play this after heard that he is using a "noob_client". Well..Now I know what  noob means..:whistle:

if all people have access to modified clients, which they do (I was offering precompiled CVS + a few patches for months before test phase, and likely will again after it ends... there are others as well), the only complaints will be where the client does give them an advantage. extra zoom is legal in a modified client (though modified clients aren't during test phase remember), but it can be an advantage

And as has been seen that some clients has the approved versions and then "pro"-version;just wondering what is that pro version for.........

well, if they won't give you the source code and/or patches against CVS, there may be something shonky going on. however, they may be using other data... like if the lite modified client adds zoom, and the 'pro' version also changes all the capes. simplistic, but you get the idea

Still requesting some kind of "game-guard" -clientside which would keep track of the used client. Seen kind of that in "Empire of Martial heroes" (nProtect gameguard) which though disabled me to try the previous version because it triggered me as game-hacker.."so "false positive"..

That would maybe be a challenge for some technically oriented programmer who would be more interested about just that subject. Dont know if that nProtect software would even be free to use as that game aslo is. And im not at all advertising it because its not for me, 100% full speed fighting only.

that sort of system is hard enough for a closed source program... for open source, where anyone can make their own, with so many development versions and options from allowed patches? nigh on impossible without reducing the chance for people to develop for the client

The more right object to anger like seen are the "developers" of those modified clients...all and not only this "illegal" one(s)

206407[/snapback]

no. look at myself, or labrat. we've both distributed legal modified clients (though labrats' did have some legal issues, which he addressed. mine had far fewer changes). and y'know what? a lot of those changes ended up in the main client.

modified clients make a great testbed for new features, code, etc

and sure, you can say we're known coders... but I wasn't when I started. I made small changes, sent them on for devs to use, and after a while worked on bigger stuff, which could be tested by bigger groups before going into main client. some changes I make won't go into main client either(for good reason. they're also quite valid for a modified client)