Eternal Lands Official Forums
0ctane

Macintosh OS X port interest?

Made some more attempts recently. It compiles, but I am still getting seg faults. Hopefully I will have some time next week to crack at it more.

If you need any external testing just let us know. I'm sure several of us will be willing to run any tests you would like.

Made some more attempts recently. It compiles, but I am still getting seg faults. Hopefully I will have some time next week to crack at it more.

If you need any external testing just let us know. I'm sure several of us will be willing to run any tests you would like.

that goes for me as well. i have a friend who would love to get on EL and his wife as well. I have a mac mini here that i would like to get in the game. i tried compiling the bsd version but no luck. :)

any chance you can post a patch of what you have changed so far octane?

I have an older mac with linux installed, I might have a try on that, this weekend.

Be interesting to see how far i get =)

Ok well threw on gentoo, grabed the cvs and data pack, And compiled for linux.

Sure enough EL fired up first go, Got past the login screen, but the poor old imac G3 333Mhz boxen just aint got the power to go much futher then....

http://users.tpg.com.au/adslk28n/elmac1.jpg

http://users.tpg.com.au/adslk28n/elmac2.jpg

but pritty dam cool it got that far all the same =)

Its actually connected right now on dm's char, hes away for a few days anyway Muhaha.

Ganna let it run, as it hasnt stalled out, And see how far it gets eventually hehe.

Ok it just dumps the following to the error_log

Error: Can't load 2d object: ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ

Muhaha, for anyone else making a start, dont forget -DEL_BIG_ENDIAN else u get the above error.

Also the new pic of the char loged in, Hard to see much, glare from the flash, But its loged in, And running =)

http://users.tpg.com.au/adslk28n/elmac3.jpg

It was unable to load the key.ini, and a bunch of other stuff, ill look into it and see what the deal is. (ah file was missing in ~/.elc fixored =))

Beyond this, I carnt see why it wouldnt run on OSX.

Edited by Zep

Ok map loading is fine Wy, user error =)

Lots of resyncs and things like...

Unable to add command 20 - 222
Unable to add command 27 - 222
Unable to add command 26 - 222
Unable to add command 20 - 34
Unable to add command 27 - 34
Unable to add command 26 - 34
Unable to add command 26 - 104
Unable to add command 25 - 104
Unable to add command 27 - 104

Also getting some duplicate actor ID error messages.

And to top it off, Its not responding to any key press'es or mouse clicks, uber fun =)

Prolly the old mac just carnt keep up =)

Edited by Zep

tnx =) But i didnt really do much, Seeming i carnt get OSX onto that pos G3, Im going to dump PearPC into somthing with a little more grunt =).

Maybe see how things go then.

Updates:

Well, I have been able to get around some issues on my 10.3.9 G5. A few posts ago, I was temporarily using a 10.4 G4 laptop. Once again i am stuck in gl_init.c, but this time it is a glViewport problem:

Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
0x9091acc8 in glViewport ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x9091acc8 in glViewport ()
#1  0x0002ead0 in resize_root_window () at gl_init.c:774
#2  0x0002ead0 in resize_root_window () at gl_init.c:774
#3  0x0001e094 in change_projection_float (var=0xcfca4, value=0xbfffd780) at elconfig.c:439
#4  0x0001e6d8 in check_var (str=0x0, type=COMMAND_LINE_SHORT_VAR) at elconfig.c:700
#5  0x00020314 in read_el_ini () at elconfig.c:1106

The call was glViewport(0, 0, window_width, window_height);

The line numbers are no longer accurate since i have put in printf calls to trace the program. The variables being sent to glViewport are: window_height of 480, window_width 640, (hud_x 64, hud_y 48)

I have played around with some other numbers to no avail.

I downloaded and compiled the atlantis opengl demo, and it runs just fine. However, it does use GLUT (and calls glViewport) and does not use SDL. I have been able to compile a SDL version of atlantis (in Xcode), and it runs fine too. But, it too uses GLUT. IIRC, the old EL client had GLUT code. The global.h file has OSX including <GLUT/glut.h>, although there are no glut calls in the current code (that I know of). As a last resort, I suppose I could re-GLUT the client. :glare:

BTW, this is all using gcc 3.3, in case anyone was wondering. gcc 4.0 is too strict for the various minor errors that pop up.

i think you all know im the glarester and i have to play on my moms comp but im not complaining im just saying PUT THIS GAME ON MAC I GOT AN INSANE G4 AND IT WOULD BE AWESOME TO PLAY IT ON THAT :):):):):):(:confused::P

PUT THIS GAME ON MAC I GOT AN INSANE G4 AND IT WOULD BE AWESOME TO PLAY IT ON THAT :):):):):):(:P:P

I AM WORKING ON IT!!! Just like the real developers of EL, I am doing this on my own time, so be patient.

Well, I tried a couple other things. Tried linking OpenGL through X11R6 (instead of frameworks) but I got the same problem. Then I threw a glGetError() line before glViewport(), and I now get the "EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory" Bus error from glGetError. So, it seems to me that OpenGL is not getting started up at all. :) I need to find a non-GLUT example program that will run on OSX to further debug this....

ouch,

I tryed to get pearpc working, but for whatever reason it didnt like my osx disks.

Think ill try with a cvs version of pear in a few days. things are getting very busy in real life.

Hello all.

Guess what?

I can show you an image of the game working. It is not working entirely correctly, but I can get past the login and into EL. The interface, scenery, and character names show up, but no actual characters/actors. Keyboard input does not work, and the mouse is incorrectly mapped (IIRC, there is a mouse inversion flag somewhere...events.c).

So, the progress improves. I doubt I will have it done by Jan 1, 2006, but progress is progress. Excited? :icon13:

Zep deserves a lot of thanks for answering many of my dumb questions. :) So, if you see him in-game, give him all your money.

[edited to include the following, thx Placid]

elteaser13tf.th.jpg

Edited by 0ctane

Hello all.

Guess what?

Well, if I actually had a website, I could show you an image of the game working (since this forum does not allow locally uploaded images). It is not working entirely correctly, but I can get past the login and into EL. The interface, scenery, and character names show up, but no actual characters/actors. Keyboard input does not work, and the mouse is incorrectly mapped (IIRC, there is a mouse inversion flag somewhere...events.c).

So, the progress improves. I doubt I will have it done by Jan 1, 2006, but progress is progress. Excited? :icon13:

Zep deserves a lot of thanks for answering many of my dumb questions. :) So, if you see him in-game, give him all your money.

LOL, I reckon Zep is rich anyhow.

Good news btw! Also, you might wanna use services such as http://www.imageshack.us to host images.

LOL, I reckon Zep is rich anyhow.

You can never be rich enough lmfao =)

top effort Octane, looks good

Edited by Zep

What are you using as a substitute for the right click function? There are a few things that the client is affected by with right click, like changing numbers in invetory, or if you just click anywhere it changes to eye, trade, etc.

What are you using as a substitute for the right click function? There are a few things that the client is affected by with right click, like changing numbers in invetory, or if you just click anywhere it changes to eye, trade, etc.

Wohoooo there cowboy. There are a host of other problems to fix before I even get to that issue. To just get the game to display, I had to hobble some functions. Specifically, I commented out a call to resize the window in change_projection_float (during initialization) because this was causing a OpenGL crash. This will need to be addressed at somepoint, but I will stick to 640x480 for now. Secondly, the program was crashing due to an overload of a cal3d function (CalCoreSkeleton_Scale IIRC, I am not at the machine right now). I commented out the function change to get the game to run, but this is probably why no one is displaying in that image. Still quite a bit of work to do...then I will worry about mouse buttons.

So, here is a bit more of my work. You can see a few titanium miners sitting around in the PL cave. Awn and I are posing for the camera. Cooldown is working in the right item list.

All text/keyboard input is non-functional right now, so you will have to forgive me if I do not respond to messages in game while testing.

Mouse mapping is now fine. In events.c there was a OSX sdl "fix" that is no longer needed. However, the loop in events.c is not releasing positional changes properly. Hence, getting around is quite difficult and requires multiple clicks. Since I cannot use the keyboard, I cannot change the view or use meta keys for other actions. Sigh...more to do...

BTW, thanks for all the encouragement. It is nice to see players recognize me in the game (props to avatar and TheDoctor among others). If you have seen me and tried to PM without success (see above), remember that my name starts with a zero. :) Since I am porting for only short periods of time during the day (this is on a work computer after all), I will be more communicative at night (US Eastern timezone) while on my PC at home.

elteaser28mm.jpg

[edit] changed picture, and the description

[edit2] description of mouse problem

Edited by 0ctane

Wow Thats Awesome! Thanks for putting so much work into the game :)

As long as it's legal, if you send me a version of the client I'll test it on my powerbook ;)

EDIT: BTW, menues on the top, They do anything? Can you hit add buddy, etc. up there? If not that would be cool, but not until after text is working :)

Edited by TheDoctor

Shift maybe?
option probably works better, I don't know if he put them in the current client. (Option is the apple and a thingy)

untitled0bu.png

Edited by TheDoctor

Shift maybe?
option probably works better, I don't know if he put them in the current client. (Option is the apple and a thingy)

Yes, I was considering using the "apple key" as I call it. Of course, I will try to get 3-button mice working too, since that is what I use.

IMHO, the event handler code (ie, the code that handle keyboard input and mouse clicks) is a little obfuscated, and I am having trouble nailing down my troubles. Mouse clicks are not being handled properly (and still do not have keyboard input). I can walk around, but it involves click-drags or my 3rd mouse button ... not too practical. Since clearly Linux and Windoze have no problem, this is probably an issue with OS X or the SDL implementation/framework that I am using.

The only modifications to the code have been ONLY to get it to run. I am not interested in hacks and cheats (but I may make my own boot screen ;) ). I will need some testers, and I am sure many people are willing to test it. PLEASE, no "I will test it for you" posts. I am going to pick a few initial testers just to determine the dependencies (since my system is ... unique, just like everyone else). PM me if you have programming experience and have Xcode and OS 10.3. We will start from there and then try to get other OS versions running. A "How do I ..." tutorial/README will then be included in the distribution when I feel happy. Happy=enough done that the game is mostly playable.

Edited by 0ctane

Greetings,

0ctane and I are finishing programming the client, he's doing most of the work I'm just doing a few small things and testing it. I have decided to make a dashboard widget to go with the client as well, however as of now I really don't have any ideas to put in it. Any OS X users that will be using the client please post ideas...

0ctane and I are finishing programming the client, he's doing most of the work I'm just doing a few small things and testing it. I have decided to make a dashboard widget to go with the client as well, however as of now I really don't have any ideas to put in it. Any OS X users that will be using the client please post ideas...
Well, more specifically, TheDoctor is testing out the software. He is the first guinea pig. Although, since I do not have 10.4, that widget thing is all his doing.