Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Arnieman

The Art of Grue Fighting

This work began as a joke of mine after a bad bout of being eaten by grues several months ago. I think I actually offered to buy a book of Grue Fighting off the market channel...

Anyway, I tried to make this one subtly humorous, as it isn't a *real* fighting book, just an attempt to strike at humor.

Anyway, any comments can be directed to me. -Atahn

(story is below the line.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Art of Grue Fighting – Aedalyn

On the art of Grue fighting, one assumption is made – the grue can actually be defeated. No adventurer has ever defeated a grue and lived to tell the gruesome tale. All have seemingly “vanishedâ€, as if eaten by a grue.

First, one must know an enemy to defeat it. Few have ever gotten a good look at a grue and survived to tell the tale, as they too were eaten by a grue. The few that have survived have mentioned seeing something with a skin of fur that was black, as if of oil and pitch. Those same few also tell of beady eyes, sharp teeth, and the smell of devoured adventurers on the breath.

So now we come upon the actual tactics of fighting grues. Grues seem to prefer to remain in dark places, always striking at the unsuspecting adventurer that happens to wander into darkness without adequate light. However, some have adapted to be really crafty, hiding in the shadows of their prey, striking at the most inopportune moments. They will even feast on their chosen meal in large crowds, several feeding at a time as not to draw suspicion.

Now, we look at tactics to defeat a grue. Some have equipped the finest armors, and the sharpest swords and axes with which to strike a grue – few even take a swing, and none ever connect. Even the most skilled of Elven archers are no match for a grue – the arrows strike dead air while both bow and bowyer are eaten. The most resolute of the mages have targeted it with their spells – all fizzle. Even potioners and sumoners have attempted this feat – only adding potion and summon to the grue’s repast.

There is one known way to defeat a grue. That is to

(the work ends abruptly here, with noticeable bite marks – as if it were eaten by a grue.)

EDITS MADE IN BOLD.

Edited by Arnieman

I would like to see this in game, maybe a book somewhere. Thinking of writing a few more of these - either as books of "fighting" (with funny tactics), or more works on the grue - talking to ttlanhil gave me a few more ideas, when I was writing this. These ideas are more a second priority for me now - some other things I'm working on are more pressing to me.

Just looking for opinions from storylines.

I would agree, this would be a great work to place in game. Especially near somewhere that newbs gather a lot. This gives a great in-game and in-character explanation of what the grue is. When I first joined EL it took me forever to understand what had happened when a grue struck...and then I thought it was a technical term.

I am the proofreader :hug:

Now, we look at tactics to defeat a grue. Some have equipped the sharpest swords and axes, and the finest armors with which to strike a grue – few even take a swing, and none ever connect. Even the most skilled of Elvin archers are no match for a grue – the arrows strike dead air while both bow and bower are eaten. The most resolute of the mages have targeted it with their spells – all fizzle. Even potioners and sumoners have attempted this feat – only adding potion and summon to the grue’s repast.

It sounds like you want to hit the grue with your armour and not your weapon. So I suggest something along the lines of..

Some have equipped the finest armors, and the wielded the sharpest swords and axes with which to strike a grue.

Elvin > Elven

bower > archer

As always my editing suggestions are up to you as the author. :P

Also:

There was a great post about what Grue is in the storylines contest we had. Ill try to dig it up and post here. Give me a few.

Tum wrote it and Lyanna posted it. I do not think it was actually included in the judging. I love this Grue explianation :)

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14685

Edited by Brom

Brom - yeah, looking at it, I kinda need to change the armors striking...

Elvin is what MS Word told me was right, Elven is what I thought.

Archer - I wanted another word for archer, couldn't find one that worked - bower means something else. Guess I will change to archer.

As for Tumaros' story: I read it - wasn't too thrilled with it myself - nice story, but as a true history - it's a little fanciful.

Quint - When I wrote this, there were 2 Gure stories I could find, and 6 posts referring to them - 1 to Tum's story, and 5 to ttl's PinappleBob.

Anyway, I was thinking of writing some grue theory, or more "fight" books. Just wanted to start with Grue because of a joke I made awhile back when I grued about 50 times in a row - I offered to buy a book of Grue Fighting on market channel.

Edited by Arnieman

Archer - I wanted another word for archer, couldn't find one that worked - bower means something else.  Guess I will change to archer.

204832[/snapback]

Bowman maybe?

Bowman maybe?

205090[/snapback]

could work, still looking.

EDIT - Found the word I was looking for, "bowyer". While the word nowadays more reflects the maker of a bow and arrow (also a fletcher), an archaic definition of bowyer does refer to an archer - and that word fits there better, IMO.

Barring any more errors, I think I'm finished with this work.

Edited by Arnieman