Eternal Lands Official Forums
jhunlemon

New skill for theives

Thieves can be a good addition to the game.  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Thieves can be a good addition to the game.

• Yes they are! :P but it must be possible in any map.
    • Yes but only make thieving possible in PK maps.
    • No! Bagjumpers are problem enough already.

I like the thought of stealing, however there are many negatives - most of which have already been pointed out.

In addition to macroing, what about a pair of people standing in some nearly undiscoverable spot training off each other? If they're alone, they don't have to worry about being pk'd or negative reputation...

But that and the macro'ing could be stopped by putting a timed limit on the person who was stolen from, maybe one ingame hour? 'You reached into xxxx's pocket, and find nothing but lint. Someone's beaten you to the job!' Of course, monsters, they could only be stolen from once - they don't carry much to begin with. Stealing from a big monster = bigger reward, but bigger thing that has to be killed before you can steal again..

'Course, maybe if the stealing victims were level based, and not the items, starting with monsters first, then off players at some high level..

If we're talking about stealing off everything wouldn't the theif who steals off monsters only have to fend off rep rumours just for having his skill level high? Maybe make noted subskills...

Edit: Don't throw out the idea, it just needs some refining.. not that I would ever steal.. *bats eyelashes innocently*

Edited by Phenic

Phenic? Innocent? I will get back to you on that.... But you do have a point, and maybe with monsters they attack you if you fail, and even if you escape you cant try to pickpocket it again because it is keeping an eye on you.

Again, if criminal activities are introduced, then there should be an appropriate judicial and punishment system, which could also be used (if well designed) to act against 'bag jumpers' (as a civil prosecution). A couple of previous threads on the subject for reference:

if this skill dones approve i say only allow to steal gold or stealing a thermal serp is out of order

Again, if criminal activities are introduced, then there should be an appropriate judicial and punishment system, which could also be used (if well designed) to act against 'bag jumpers' (as a civil prosecution).  A couple of previous threads on the subject for reference:

203133[/snapback]

EL world is like the middle ages, more or less.

That makes me remind the historic fact of the "pole" in the town square, where a "criminal" would be tied to. The villagers would then gather on the square and throw rotten eggs and tomatoes !!!! :)

I think stealing is ok, but the idea needs some weaking. Like for example, it's kinda hard to steal a big, heavy sword or some armor from someone, and not be noticed, especially if thet thing is glowing bright blue/red :( . If stealing gets implemented, you should only be able to steal certain things, like coins or fur.

Another idea, a while back there was a post about having NPC's that would just be normal townsfolk of the town. what if you could only steal from them? In my mind, it would work pretty much the same way as fighting does now, use NPC's to train the skill, then in a PK map, you can attack/ steal from other players.