Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ruthgar

Community

I have been on for 3weeks now and find the game enjoyable. I would not have made it this long without channel 1. Now I have gotten help there and that was nice but far more than that #1 gave me a feeling of community. I was involved in more than a single player game but in a community setting. I have seen old rivalries, old friendships, and new of both form. And when people get out of hand I have been grateful for the intervention by those in charge or those that help. I thought that if #1 had this how much more then on the other named channels. I was wrong the channels I went to #4,#5 were dead I would spend 12 hours at a time with both open and get nothing. That is when I relised if that was what I had to look forward to this would get boring and lifeless fast for me. So I stick to #1. But I have to wonder since the rules state:

11. Stay On Topic In Named Channels.

Conversations may stray a little from the general purpose of the channel, but should not do so to the extent that such conversations derail the purpose of the channel. Such limitations and extents are at the discretion of the moderator in the channel.

how do I continue to enjoy the EL community I have come to like so much when I fear breaking the rules by having a short RP bout with other players on #1, joking, laughing, and in general bonding to a community.

I hope this was were to post this.

Thanks for listening.

A guy who likes EL.

You can continue to enjoy the game community by joining a guild. A guild id a group of player sharing the same goals. A guild have access to something called Guild Chat. You type #gm <your message> to talk.

You can also look at these forums and use the other channels for general chatting (not channel #1 and #3). Simply type #jc 4 or 5 or something else.

Channel 1 is the newbie help channel, and thus the purpose of that channel is to help newcomers to get the "hang of it". Typical topic questions in Channel 1 is: How do I eat?

The reason we want to keep the Newbie channel free from eneral chatting is that newcomers will not get proper and prompt resonses if there is too much off-topic chatter.

Keep in mind that with multichannel chat support, the named channels need to stick to topic more closely. This will allow people to be involved in those discussions they want. Hopefully this means that channel 4 will get used more and market can be used properly.

I have been trying #4 for a week and all I get is dead air. So if I want to talk to ppl I have to go to #1. Now I agree that other channels are good and would love to see them used. I just have not seen it yet.

The problem is, before 1.1.0 we had no multichannel support. That means, you could only stay in one channel. That's why many people stayed in channel 1, because that was the place were most of the people were.

Now with the multichannel people should be encouraged to join other channels too. It will be a rather slow process, but I'm quite sure it will work.

One example is the german channel (#206) - Some german-speaking players started to advertise that channel and now there are always quite a few people in there. Of course it's nothing compared to the Newbie channel but I'm quite sure the community in there will grow.

It could be absolutely the same with channel #4. Just stay inside and aks a few of your friends to join. It may take time, but I'm sure it can grow.

:) kl4Uz

As far as I can tell, the reason why General Chat (#4) is not really populated is because it's too general. There's no unifying theme or factor to the conversation, so people would either hang out in #1 (where newbie-helping and answering questions make up at least 50% of the conversation), their own guild channels (where friendship and similar interests make up the conversation), or market (but even market is fairly dead as a "conversation" channel).

What we need for #4 and #5 to be active are:

1) Popular, talkative people to move to that channel.

2) Something to talk about regularly.

EL has a lack of real gossip-mongers to keep the society alive, AFAIK. There's no spicy news, or people interested in spreading it. Where are all the news about upcoming marriages, or guild conflicts, or the latest in development, or stuff like that? They're either posted on the forums, or kept quietly among the relevant guild/dev circles.

In a very real sense, these Forums ARE our #4 and #5 channels. Maybe the devs/mods/community managers might want to think more about how to make channels 4 and 5 more interesting to people?

EL has a lack of real gossip-mongers to keep the society alive, AFAIK. There's no spicy news, or people interested in spreading it.

201555[/snapback]

LOL! :) That's the funniest thing I've heard all day :omg:

LOL!  :blink: That's the funniest thing I've heard all day :hehe:

201576[/snapback]

but I reckon there's truth to it!

but I reckon there's truth to it!

201581[/snapback]

Lol I don't think it's true at all, they just aren't on channel 4.

Lol I don't think it's true at all, they just aren't on channel 4.

201584[/snapback]

well, some truth, anyway... the really gossipy people would be in the place they can blab to the most :hehe:

maybe we just have lotsa somewhat shy gossipers? :blink:

How could you encourage them to get on channel 4 then?

201588[/snapback]

Problem is, none of them want to admit they are gossip mongers :hehe:

Although I suppose you could browse these forums and pm a few folks... :blink:

EL has a lack of real gossip-mongers to keep the society alive, AFAIK. There's no spicy news, or people interested in spreading it.

Ummmm...Where do you hide out in game that you miss the gossip??

Channels 1,2 and 3 are NOT for conversation. They are the newb channel (for answering newbie questions) help channel (DUH!) and market (buying and selling)

If the people that want to just chat would move to another channel and quit break ing the rules in these 3 channels, then maybe the other channels wouldn't be so deserted.

Ummmm...Where do you hide out in game that you miss the gossip??

Channels 1,2 and 3 are NOT for conversation. They are the newb channel (for answering newbie questions) help channel (DUH!) and market (buying and selling)

If the people that want to just chat would move to another channel and quit break ing the rules in these 3 channels, then maybe the other channels wouldn't be so deserted.

201604[/snapback]

Old habits die hard, but with the new multi channel system hopefully people will start using channel 4. Just give everyone a chance to remember to use it and to figure out the multichannel setup lol.

And no one is on MY channel, Get your lazy Role playing *beep* up and get on the Rp channel, the more people i see the more inclined i am to Do an event spontaniously. Don't worry about the community, it is about to get interesting

Well I have noticed several ppl read this comentary and channel 4 is getting more use than I am used to seeing. Not sure if there is a connection between the two but it is nice to see.

Before the multi-channel chat. I am pretty much on #4 if I am online. It was still quiet but because there wasn't many people, I developed a good rapport with some of the regulars of that channel (do you come here often? lol). Before that I would be going off-topic in #1 pretty much all the time, which is why I voluntarily moved in the first place.

But its somehow different now, it feels more colder.

I'm sure with is being the more official chat channel, business will pick up again...as long as I don't hear Vendor monopolizing the conversation.