Eternal Lands Official Forums
Gryflet

OMFG, Not EL related but quite an issue.

HURRICANE RITA HAS HIT AMERICA!!!!!!!Hurricane Rite hit the states of Texas and most others in the US of A today....As predicted, it has devastated the country and many other countrys are in shock by this news.Please pray for the lives of America. ;)

Yes, once again the southern most states here in the US are ravaged by a hurricane.

Even here in north Alabama (on Mississippi state line) they are predicting severe thunderstorms.

Hope everyone makes it ok that might live closer to the coast, and I'll be so glad when hurricane season is over :angry: (but tornado season starts here in november :(()

Yeah I live in Texas and luckily we're only gonna be hit by the very outer edge of the hurricane where I live. I feel really bad for the people who left New Orleans during Katrina to go to Houston, and then they all had to evacuate houston too.

HURRICANE RITA HAS HIT AMERICA!!!!!!!Hurricane Rite hit the states of Texas and most others in the US of A today....As predicted, it has devastated the country and many other countrys are in shock by this news.Please pray for the lives of America. :P

200604[/snapback]

People die every day even in larger numbers and no-one cares. Get over it.

Edited by Mireille

Ummm, that's kinda harsh.

Hope everybody made it through ok...Just alot of wind and rain here in Alabama.

201348[/snapback]

Talk about Selfish...Ebul person, You got any friends? :)

201348[/snapback]

hmm, yes, let's all go apathetic because people are always dieing... Just because it's the mighty USA getting hit now, let's turn a blind eye.

Let's totally forget all the good that America has ever done in the world, just because it doesn't suit our agenda, and then offer nothing back - even sympathy - when it's America who gets hit.

and then offer nothing back - even sympathy - when it's America who gets hit.

201611[/snapback]

are you kidding? you know how many offers of support america got after katrina that were turned down? and any other disaster for that matter?

and yet they still aren't set up to deal with it... how much cash has gone into emergency management, etc after 11th sept? most of that, if spent right, would have set up agencies to be able to deal with any emergency, such as hurricanes... they failed. and america refused support. the arrogance and thinking they're better than anyone else is why people in othe rplaces act the way they do

the arrogance and thinking they're better than anyone else is why people in othe rplaces act the way they do

201612[/snapback]

Not every American thinks the same way-this is true for every country.

Blame is easier to place than it is to accept. Perhaps we all had a part in the imperfect response to the hurricane(s), even if it is because we failed to do something beyond that which was required or expected of us. Just a thought :blink: I know I could have done more than I did...

You know, I wonder if those that had such negativve responces would have changed your tune if it had been you or your loved ones in the path of the hurricane?

Why can't you just show your support and concern for those you may know?

It all boils down to something I bet ALL of us have heard at one point in our lives or another...

If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all!

OMG... the nerve of some people....

Best wishes to all that the hurricanes have affected..

Both Katrina and Rita

As Ladywolf said.. here in northern Alabama, we've gotten away fairly mild, lots of wind and heavy rain, but not near as severe as others.. and for that I thank God.

Ttlanhil, never assume all of a country is like one person. That is the stem of ignorance.

Yes, please don't assume we are all alike, because there is only one Daxon... :lurker:

As Shallara said, I can't help but wonder if those of you that say "Oh big deal, all those people are dead, or homeless.", if you wouldn't be singing a different tune if you, or your loved ones were in the path of one of these recent hurricanes.

And to say noone cares about the amount of people that die everyday, I can't speak for everyone (and would never try to), but everytime I see this stuff in the news my heart goes out to them and their families.

Whether it be the tsunami that hit India, to earthquakes in Venezuala, to the last few hurricanes, to any other event that has taken a life..It's sad when you think so little of a human life to just simply say "get over it."

Edited by LadyWolf

Mireille only said one intelligent thing on this post, and that it's that some disasters which are worse go completely unnoticed.

Example: The Titanic sank and is now a historical event that will possibly never be forgotten. But who here has heard of the Wilhelm Gustloff, a German evacuation ship that went down carrying possibly upwards of 7,000 lives with it?

However, You need to show more compassion for those hurt by disasters, Mireille. What if it happens to you?

Yes, please don't assume we are all alike, because there is only one Daxon... :omg:

And there's only one driving queen: LW. :lurker:

My earlier comment was directed at Mireille - that no one cares attitude - check some facts once in awhile. America is one of the most charitable countries out there, and it's not just "to our own". When the tsunami hit, we were sending aid practically everywhere to help. The thousands of people dying daily in Africa? Maybe our government isn't just pouring money, but maybe then that's because we think of it as a personal matter - you donate or you don't; the government shouldn't tell you how or who you have to give your money too. BTW, there are MANY relief agencies based out of the USA sending millions of privately donated dollars to help out in these areas.

So now it's America's turn - big whoop. Granted, many governments have turned out with sympathy and donations, but does that really mean much with people who say, "Get over it"?

Granted, ttl, there is a certain arrogance to being an American - show me a developed country with no arrogance. Doesn't mean when things go bad anywhere, we don't band together and help.

As for the hurricanes - there's a reason FEMA failed. That, simply put, is because of the way our governments run here in America - the Federal government does not have full control in every matter. The state and local governments have fought for years that it is THEY who will be in control of things no matter what, and they will invite FEMA in when they are overtaxed. Unfortunately, in this case, FEMA was called in long after any viable means to get into the area were already washed away and impassable. The locals erred, and then blamed the government - typical response in the United States of America - the states want full control, but want the federal government ready to bail them out at the drop of a pin.

I personally see Bush's admission of failure in Katrina, and the response Rita started to bring as a new sign in the USA - maybe the feds won't wait so long to take over, and we can have ONE organization handling multistate disasters - not several.

After having been hit by a few of these things, I have no sympathy. I have no symathy for myself or for others. We try to conquer nature rather than coincide with it, and therefore we somehow we see ourselves as better than other aspects of nature. As more worthy of life. I don't care if I die. It's part of the NATURAL ORDER of things. Natural disasters are just proof of this natural order. Life cannot exist without death. Let this be a reminder of how fragile life is, and let it remind you of your place in the scheme of things. I know it has reminded me of mine.

Ttlanhil, never assume all of a country is like one person.  That is the stem of ignorance.

201631[/snapback]

please understand, when I say america, I mean the goverment and its actions, not the people (in some cases it's also true of the people, some cases it isn't. I've spent 3 months in the US and met a fair few people there, I know better)

America is one of the most charitable countries out there, and it's not just "to our own".  When the tsunami hit, we were sending aid practically everywhere to help. 

<snip>

So now it's America's turn - big whoop.  Granted, many governments have turned out with sympathy and donations, but does that really mean much with people who say, "Get over it"?

you missed my point. america is one of the few places that turn down big offers of help, like lotsa cash, sending people over (emergency service type people, I mean), etc. that's where the arrogance is, "I'll help all these people, and I don't need help from anywhere else"

on the news recently here, after katrina, they were saying that the US was refusing to allow australians to go in to find survivors (I'm talking consulates and such), and it ended up being the media (who can go almost anywhere, heh) who found a number of them instead (and of cource the media wants to make noise about that)

Granted, ttl, there is a certain arrogance to being an American - show me a developed country with no arrogance.  Doesn't mean when things go bad anywhere, we don't band together and help.

As for the hurricanes - there's a reason FEMA failed.  That, simply put, is because of the way our governments run here in America - the Federal government does not have full control in every matter.  The state and local governments have fought for years that it is THEY who will be in control of things no matter what, and they will invite FEMA in when they are overtaxed.  Unfortunately, in this case, FEMA was called in long after any viable means to get into the area were already washed away and impassable.  The locals erred, and then blamed the government - typical response in the United States of America - the states want full control, but want the federal government ready to bail them out at the drop of a pin.

so... you're saying that arrogance was the problem (and hence the reason so many lives were needlessly lost)? :D
I personally see Bush's admission of failure in Katrina, and the response Rita started to bring as a new sign in the USA - maybe the feds won't wait so long to take over, and we can have ONE organization handling multistate disasters - not several.

201666[/snapback]

that'd make sence. too bad it (in general, not just the US) sometimes takes a major disaster before people get a clue and look towards doing the right thing instead of what's best for them (social commentary on humanity, not the US)

and I half agree with anastasia. I have sympathy, but some scorn as well for some people... like those who pay how many millions for a home on a cliff with a view of the ocean(which is probably quite nice, granted), then complain when the natural processes erode the cliff and their home is gone... like... duh?

My earlier comment was directed at Mireille - that no one cares attitude - check some facts once in awhile.  America is one of the most charitable countries out there, and it's not just "to our own".

The EU donates 4 times more money as development aid than the US...

So now it's America's turn - big whoop.  Granted, many governments have turned out with sympathy and donations, but does that really mean much with people who say, "Get over it"?

Typically for (almost) all Americans you think that everyone hates you.

I'm not saying that it's good that some Americans died. I'm also not stupid enough to call those hurricanes "God's revenge on USA" (and I did see such posters here, in Brussels). <_<

I am saying that if you were told EACH day about EVERY tragedy that takes place throughout the world, about EVERY AIDS victim, about EVERY child prostitute, about EVERY disastrous flood, about EVERY atrocity committed in wars (you think the wars in Sudan or Chechnya are over? think again) and so on you would either have to go mad or become completely "immune" to such news. In Poland we had a disastrous flood in 1997 and I have to admit, people from all over the world came here to help us. But that's only because we live in a fairly well developed country. Do you remember the earthquake in the city of Bam in Iran a few years ago? Do you remember how much money was assigned to help the victims? And do you know how much of that promised money was actually donated...?

My point is: tragedies take place all the time. It is absolutely necessary to help the victims, but focusing on just one tragedy simply because it takes place in a developed country is well, blindness.

The EU donates 4 times more money as development aid than the US...

201762[/snapback]

Comparing government spending, or private sector donations?

Typically for (almost) all Americans you think that everyone hates you.

201762[/snapback]

I think that, typically, I've been proven right - from every report I've ever heard (alright, my extent of non-US news stories is the BBC), we can't do anything right. We do one thing and everyone whines how we should do the other, then we do the other and people whine how we should have done one thing. Then again, why should I care about what the world says - we're doing enough sniping of ourselves for the whole world.

I'm not saying that it's good that some Americans died. I'm also not stupid enough to call those hurricanes "God's revenge on USA" (and I did see such posters here, in Brussels).  <_<

I am saying that if you were told EACH day about EVERY tragedy that takes place throughout the world, about EVERY AIDS victim, about EVERY child prostitute, about EVERY disastrous flood, about EVERY atrocity committed in wars (you think the wars in Sudan or Chechnya are over? think again) and so on you would either have to go mad or become completely "immune" to such news. In Poland we had a disastrous flood in 1997 and I have to admit, people from all over the world came here to help us. But that's only because we live in a fairly well developed country. Do you remember the earthquake in the city of Bam in Iran a few years ago? Do you remember how much money was assigned to help the victims? And do you know how much of that promised money was actually donated...?

My point is: tragedies take place all the time. It is absolutely necessary to help the victims, but focusing on just one tragedy simply because it takes place in a developed country is well, blindness.

201762[/snapback]

I can truly understand how you feel - just because it happens elsewhere makes it no less important than it happening here, IMO. I know the wars in Chechnya and Sudan aren't over - Liberia and Sierra Leone too, I think are in major strife. North Korea has nukes that reportedly could strike Alaska, and they also reportedly don't want to stop there. Two hurricanes have slammed the USA, and a third has grazed it this year alone - while not as disaterous, we had similar last year. Disease, famine, war, and death seem to run amok.

Tragedies happen all the time, and hearing about it - whether you can do anything or not - can be taxing. However, I feel that, in part, it is our capacity to care that makes us human - if we forswear ourselves of that, we might as well as give up being human.

Katrina hasn't much a bright spot to it, unless you really can care how the US citizens tend to care for their own. Too many people dropped the ball so to speak, from the very people living there to the governments supposed to serve them. Strangely, what happened in New Orleans has been noted as one of the top 5 worst potential hurricane disasters that could happen in the US - where the city sits, I don't know why anyone chose to stay there with a hurricane coming through.

As for doing the right thing, I don't think even now the states are going to accept it too readily - even though we've been proven several times now that the states cannot handle a multistate disaster.

I honestly can say only one thing, my hart goes to all those people that have to suffer from war, conflicts, terrorism, forces of nature, hunger, childlabour and so on.......

It kinda makes me sick to see that a discussion is started over what country, what nation or whatever donates the most money, and does the most to help those people.

All i know it will never be enough as long as the same nations that really can do anything about this, stil make money over the people that are suffering....

In this case i am talking about governements and the multinationals ( i dont want to accuse any individual), but i always wander who is it that votes every 4 year?

Im from The Netherlands and yes i had the privilege to be born in a ( i consider) save, rich and democratic country, and that makes me realize how lucky i really am, cause how would my live been if i wasn't? And yes i think we, i could do more...

Raisa.

Don't look to the mistakes other make,

what they did or didn't do,

Look at what u did or didn't do....

Dhammapada 50

i live in houston and it was horrible, the back yard got wet *sob*.

The news was funny tho,

the fire fighters are trying to fight this fire. It is tough. How could you train to do something like fighting a fire

i laugh at the media with no story.

Yeah, we got winds with gusts up to about 35 mph and 1/8 (yes thats one-eighth) of an inch of rain. we had to turn on the sprinklers.